WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Happy Sunday!
    Lisa-What a great deal on the camper for your truck! Good luck with your sale. Sometimes technology is a plus!
    Heather- I haven't done a whole lot of traveling, but I have been fortunate to know people from all over the world and have tasted "real" foods from different regions of India, China, Korea, Vietnam, etc. My time spent in Mexico as a young person and the "wake up" I received in regards to americanized ethnic food stayed with me. Like you, I do a lot of cooking at home and I love to cook as true to a region as possible. My problem has always been, finding the spices and ingredients. I need to find a trustworthy online spice seller.
    Michele- I tend to wake early, so mealtimes at my home for my family, tend to be earlier. Lunch at noon or one and dinner at 5:30 or 6:00. I would most likely shift my mealtime a bit (but not later than 7pm). I also let guests know "the kitchen is open". Make enough food to have some left over in the fridge, or have some cold cuts and cheese/veg/salad ready to eat, when they need to graze. I even ask guests prior to their arrival "What do you or your spouse want/like to have to munch on or drink?" I will pick up special juices/coffee/tea etc. to make them feel more at home. You seem very welcoming that way, so you have probably already got that covered.

Talking about food brings to mind one of my favorite movies; The Hundred Foot Journey. Have you seen it? It is a great one. It is like watching a romance, cooking show, and travelogue all in one! All portions of my soul, satisfied!

One more thing about scouting. I think every child's experience in scouting is going to be centered on the leadership. What they experience, what they get from it, and how/if they feel welcome is all going to depend on the leadership. Leaders are volunteers, and although background checks are done and there is a handbook/curriculum to follow, you get some great leaders, some good leaders and a few not so good leaders. (I won't go into the really bad ones bc hopefully they are sorted out and gotten rid of) You can tell the leaders that are just there because they have to be (pressured into it for/by their kid). I figure a boy or girl looking to join a opposite gender group is looking for something he/she is not getting in her current troop.
    I do have to say, that the girls in my troop did tell me that they felt free to be themselves at the troop meetings. There was an acceptance of who they were and who they were becoming. I DO think this can be fostered in a mixed gender group. I remember this "safe" feeling at summer camps and youth group meetings when I was young. As far as "girl only" talks or "boy only" talks and openness. These things can be talked about (and frequently were) during sleepovers (or in the case of camping-in our girls only cabins)

Off my soap box! lol Other news...books I have read recently: I just finished the new Stephen King, Sleeping Beauties. It was co authored by his son Owen King. It was okay. It was basically a "men bad-women good" themed book. A lot of interesting points made that most women have thought/talked about in regards to the differences of the sexes. But...it felt empty. Maybe it was just written or taken down a road that I wouldn't have taken it. Anyway, not one of his best, but not his worst either. I also read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood- this is an older book (1985), but I had never read it and now that the tv show is booming (I don't watch) I figured I should read the book. Meh. Not impressed. Kind of made me angry. I find it ironic that I just read two books that have a very "anti-male" sentiment about them. I need to read something uplifting next.

Been pretty rainy here the past four days. As soon as the weather clears, I need to get out and get my lawn mowed. I think I am going to set the blade lower and make this my last "mow" of the season and put the mower away afterwards. Kind of an odd October with it still in the 60's and 70's in West Michigan. I haven't bought my pumpkins, yet. I don't want them to spoil and mold before Thanksgiving. I usually set up a display of autumn stuff (a corn stalk or two, a bale of hay, a few gourds and pumpkins, mums) I don't carve any more, since my own kids are older and mostly out of the house. I like my autumn display to take me through Thanksgiving, so I will probably wait a week or two longer before I set it up. Halloween deco goes up the week before Halloween and comes down November 1. I live on a busy road and get maybe one trick or treater each year. Last year I didn't buy candy and just turned my lights off. Some times I think I will be like Walter Matthau's character in Grumpier Old Men and hand out miscellaneous household items to trick or treaters. Things like a chip clip, scotch tape, a sample box of laundry detergent... lol that would be interesting.

Well, the day marches on. Have to get busy! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3B)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,988 Member
    Options
    Busy week ahead ... and I should be in bed!

But it is only 1:35 am, and I am trying to wrap up the last bit of studying for yet another test ... the last one in the course. The only thing after that is the final in early November.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Kelly Helmet or no, Joaquin is such a doll!

I have an online spice purveyor recommendation http://www.penderys.com/. They were mail order before the web, and my husband’s family has been going to the Pendery brick and mortar store in Ft. Worth for many decades. I’ve been to the store and the smell inside is like no other- so wonderful! Especially good for finding chilis for Tex-mex or Mexican are what you are looking for. Oh, I guess they pretty much have everything.

Tex-Mex, Mexican, and Indian (London-Tandoori version) are my favourite. I grew up with Mexican restaurants, moved to Texas and grew to appreciate the Tex-Mex, and lived in London and became a huge fan of the Tandoori restaurants. I miss Tandoori because I have never been successful in mimicking my favourite meal: Chicken Tikka, Nan and Onion bhaji (sp?). I’ve never found any Indian restaurant in the states that came close to the Indian food I grew to love in London.

Have a good day

Rye
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    And here is another online spice company to look at: https://www.penzeys.com although it looks like the prices on https://www.penderys.com are better.

OMG! Can Joaquin get any cuter?

Karen in Virginia
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Its 8am, husband just called. Just tests being done etc, and night doctor yesterday stated it could be something else that is making him jaundice. He is in good spirits. I slept awful last night. He said he has a small room with an up right chair, so no sense me coming there because there would be no place I could sleep. So he will just keep me informed.
    I am taking a long shower and scrub this freaky hair of mine.
    All shall be well, and all manner of things will be exceedingly well. (That's what I'm telling my brain anyways!)

Love Becca
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    Options
    Rye - You will never be able to recreate a tandoor oven, but you should easily be able to approximate a Chicken Tikka. That is what I cooked last night. It was so tasty and next time I will add a bit more powder. The real tandoori Nans are a pillow of loveliness, but in Britain we can buy reasonable ones to heat up. I am low carb so I don't do that. Onion bhaji is easy to make, but requires deep frying, or at least a deep frying pan. Very, very high in calories! It is made with gram flour (garbanzos). A thing of light loveliness in the right hands and a soggy mess in the wrong ones. :D
    I love gram flour and sometimes use it to make a sweetcorn fritter which I shallow fry. Fabulous starter! It is served with a very hot and spicy green chilli, pistachio and cilantro sauce. <3:DB)
    I get all my spices from Amazon. In the UK it is very much cheaper than the tiny jars in shops. Don't know what the prices would be in the US. I buy a lot of pulses, oils, rice, pepper and dried beans that way as well. I'm lucky to have a utility room to store stuff in. :laugh: It hurts me now to pay shop prices for small quantities.
    I use a Masala Daba to decant my big packets of spices into. It is a round stainless steel box with two lids and seven internal containers. Of course, I have many more than seven, but those are the most used. I got it from Amazon after watching it used on Utube by Uvashri Pitri, who has written a very simple Indian cookbook for the Instant Pot. The book is a best seller! Her videos are easily available on Utube. The recipes are simplified a bit, but I use her Ussal one for the sprouted beans, but with much less salt!!

I have been to Mexico City, where I lived with a family for a month, and I recently went to the Yucatan Peninsula for two weeks. Loved the food, but I never saw a taco. :laugh: Lots of fresh juices, clean, fresh food and not always especially spicy. Our Mexican restaurants in the UK are more TexMex. Mexico has its regional food, much like India. Very different in different regions.

Having duck legs tonight roasted in a Korean paste. Potatoes in the same pan for DH. Carrot and rutabaga mash for me and broccoli.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,597 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Pip, I love the picture of your dogs where they are progressively laying down. Like they can't decide whether to be up or down and they are progressively going to sleep. Love the story of all your dogs. How I the world will you be a one dog family????

Take care everyone. Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow. Well for some of you I think you are already in our tomorrow!

Night night, Joyce, Indiana

we'll be living in an airstream, no room for 3. but if they are all still alive by the time we retire, we'll make it work (and one cat)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Wendy: Thank you for the link to the horse training site. I've bookmarked it so that I can find it again and I'll read it directly after I finish greeting my friends here. :smiley:

Allie: I am delighted to read your happy posts. :flowerforyou:

Pip: Thanks for the advice and help regarding Labs. My friend would prefer a rescue lab and doesn't insist on purebred, either. I doubt she'll put any energy into finding a dog for the next while. Her DH has been diagnosed with cancer and is getting palliative care at home. He's had a number of blood transfusions and may have more. Friends and family have been coming for visits. :cry:

Suebdew in TX: I am so sorry to hear about the poison ivy. I hope it heals quickly. You've sure been busy getting things taken care of at home. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: You are so right about physical and mental challenges dealing with Arrow. I am learning more than I ever expected. I doubt I'll be getting my own horse training show on TV in the foreseeable future, but I am stumbling along and he is getting needed attention. As with children, he'd rather have attention for being naughty than no attention at all. :ohwell:

Janetr: Your ornaments are glorious. I'd love to see photos of a step by step creation. :smiley:

Michele: Happy Anniversary! :bigsmile:

Evelyn: This is the first home we've lived in that was new. We had loads of issues to deal with and the developer kept coming back for a couple of years as we discovered a new challenge. After all of that, we found that they'd taken shortcuts that were structural problems. The most recent was a second story deck that wasn't water-tight and we had to resurface. That was two years ago. DH & I did it ourselves. The deck and windows were originally constructed with the "newest and best" products. Those products failed over time. The builders didn't cause those problems, their suppliers did. We had to step up and pay for replacements of windows and did the resurface on the upper deck ourselves. :ohwell:

(((Sharon in Lethbridge)))

Becca: Sending good thoughts and prayers for your DH and for you. :heart:

KJLaMore: Joaquin is he cutest little guy with a huge personality. Someone is a very good photographer! :bigsmile:

Rita: The sunset photo is amazing & the sky is gorgeous. :smiley:

Last night we had a Halloweentown celebration put together by Marni, the actress who played to oldest sister in the movies. It was supposed to be a tribute to Debbie Reynolds. They told stories about how nice she was, but that was about it for the "tribute." The crowd was enormous and many people travelled a long way to be here. Our Mayor made an appearance and welcomed the actors and the crowd. He was the most riveting person on the stage in my opinion. (Long hair & tie-dye shirt. Lots of energy and stage presence as he welcomed the crowd.) I hope that local businesses had a good amount of sales.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

My mother had a favorite saying: "Everyone is strange except me and thee, and sometimes I wonder about thee."

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Michelle Happy Anniversary! Did I miss mention of how many years?

Heather Tex-Mex and Mexican are very different indeed. I generally think of Tex-Mex as more flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas or masa, heavy use of cheddar, pinto beans instead of black beans, and more heat in the spices. Most Americans I’ve met are much more familiar with Tex-Mex. I love them both.

Making lots of stuff in the kitchen today, homemade protein bars, coleslaw, beef jerky, etc. The job is going to require me to rethink the content and timing for my dinner, so I’m trying to prepare snacks type meal options to eat at dinner time. I’ll say this, my house smells good!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Katla – I consider my DH and sons to be very responsible hunters and gun owners:
    1) Never shoot at something you cannot fully see;
    2) Only point a gun at something you INTEND to kill;
    3) Always check a gun is empty even if the person handing it to you had already gone through the process before giving it to you;
    4) Never put a loaded gun in a vehicle;
    5) Clean your gun when finished with it; and,
    6) Have a healthy respect for ‘any’ gun.
    My weight loss has done nothing to my pre-diabetes condition nor has it done anything with the numbers of my cholesterol either. I think I have a healthy diet and I exercise most days.

Becca – {{{{{HGUS}}}}} and prayer for you DH and you (and even the 3 sons). Hope things get much, much better real soon.

Sharon – Have you called A.A. and asked if they have a local group for ‘families of alcoholics’? Friend of mine went through it; and, her husband refused to admit he had a drinking problem which made he get physically abusive to her. It gave her the strength to get out; and, not be always the victim.

We’ll never buy a home that is being built unless we get to it while the foundation is being built or if we design and built it ourselves (like we did this one). While this one has a few things about it that I don’t particularly care for; the one we picked out as it was being framed up gave us the biggest headache because the builder and HOW people did not do the drain tiles that should have been done around it at all. So we were still ‘in court over it’ when we sold it to move back to Albany. IF my Daddy had not been an attorney, we would have never won the case and made them correct the issue before the new owners took possession of it. I have a friend that the builder did not put rebar in the foundation, so they won their case against them; he had to pay off the house and also pay them. They won’t ever be able to sell it; it will either need to be torn down (or they could rent it out) and sell the lot for someone else to build on.

My Windows World windows are being replaced tomorrow. I can hardly believe it. Of course, I will believe it when they get here to do it, too. I have decided that ‘if’ there is another ‘excuse’ I am going to give them a ‘firm deadline’ by which they HAVE to replace them or else I will write a letter to ‘every BBB in every town’ south of a line from Columbus, through Macon, and over to Augusta to tell them of my complaint against them’. The installer called me the other week (week before last) and scheduled for it to start tomorrow. YEAH!!!!!

Michele – Happy Anniversary!!!!!

KJ - Joaquin is a doll!!!!

Rita – I guess my opinion that ‘no woman should think she needs a man to complete her’ is something that got instilled in me early in my life. My parents had a good and loving marriage and Mother and Daddy were both very well educated and therefore each had a career. But, they always made sure that the 3 of us had someone to come home to when we got home from school. Since Mother was a teacher herself, she came home about 30 minutes later than we did. After her wreck, she wasn’t able to clean or stand to cook many meals; so the woman who had been hired when she worked stayed with them and was with them when I went off to school. I think the only thing that upset me was that she passed away and my Mother did not tell me for a long time. She was more demonstrative to me than my own Mother was. But, by the time she passed away we had worked through that.

Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts – Whether together or independently should be teaching both of them how to treat the other, at a young age; putting them together and giving each of them the same things that each individual association gives to their boys/girls would probably help in a lot of ways. Boys could learn things like cooking and cleaning and taking care of babies; and the girls can do whatever it requires to be an Eagle Scout. Eagle Scout does not say ‘Men Eagle Scout’ … so why not combine the two and let girls and boys join the “Scouts.” The girls could do whatever is required to become an Eagle Scout, maybe it should also require each sex to go through things that are ‘normally’ female related in doing so; merge the best of each.

But each group ought to have the ‘right’ to be segregated if that is what they choose to do; because of certain subject matters that might be discussed. If they are combined, then would they need both a male and female leader? I would think so, it would become somewhat of a ‘family’. But, even then, girls are still kept separately. You certainly would not put both in a cabin off at camp without 24/7 supervision. When I was in Brownie/Girl Scouts and went to came; the cabins were for the girls only and the leaders were in a cabin to themselves in the middle of 3 or 4 cabins of girls. On the first Saturday night we were there (it was a 2-week session) the boys from the Boy Scout troops’ camp was right across the river (as a crow flies) and they got invited to a dance we put on. I enjoyed camp; and, I thought it was so far away; but, actually it was in the next county. My parents took us on a long ride around the county so we would not think they could ‘easily’ come get us for being ‘homesick’. I got pneumonia one year and my aunt in Macon had to come pick me up because my parents were down in FL at a funeral. What I remember was my temperature was so high that they put me in an ice bath. I think that is one reason I hate anything on me that is cold. Only, when I have a bad headache will I put a cool rag to my forehead.

Well – No cooking for me for Thanksgiving Day! Jenn’s mother is going to come out and cook; all I have to do is bring something! Yeah! Yeah, because it doesn’t look like I am going to have a new dishwasher anytime soon. I am writing out my “Dreamer’s List” … much like a “Bucket List” … I think I have to put it up at #1, with the porch now being #2.

Lenora
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,742 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    lunch with my friends was just wonderful,got to catch up.. came home and unpacked most of my stuff in thein the closet.. house pretty much all set, doing laundry..
    Barbie~ I have been bad, havent gone to the gym yet and not eating as bad as I was, but not eating great either.. I feel like I am losing a bit of weight, from where I park my car to my condo at the end of the hall is a good hoof, so that helps me..
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Lazy day here today!

Becca ~ Love your pics and have said a prayer for your husband.

Michele ~ Happy Anniversary

Katla ~ Glad to hear that you are making progress with Arrow and learning lots as you go.

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,597 Member
    Options
    Mmm