WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,753 Member
    Options
    well I went down to the fund raiser, it is at a bar I used to work at, and it was packed, I am not great with crowds, bought one glass of wine, and raffle tickets and hung out for a bit and left... I just cant handle crowds and loud noise... I just dont know if I am up to going to the wake.. think I might just send Patty a card... I have been to so many lately It is depressing...
    Have to get Taliah on the bus the next to days so have to be up and moving early...
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    BECCA ~ Whatever happened to your very elderly neighbor that relied so much on you? Did she move?
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Marcelyn - so I bought the facial cream that supposedly she quit the television show to sell and it didn't work! Not only that but they didn't ship it on time I didn't get the 14 day free trial and then I got a billed $100 and had to fight to get it back. You can't trust anybody where money and wealth is concerned.

Mary from Arizona

I read a statement from Joanna Gaines saying all that face cream stuff was fake news and not her at all. I have seen the same news story with other celebrities’ names attached to it. It is pretty much a scam.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Becca - I would find all that very stressful! It's the main reason we moved out of our apartment in London. Neighbour noise. :#:s I know your husband's health situation makes it difficult, but could the move to live with your son still be on?
    If we ever moved to Hove the neighbour situation would be sooooooo important. It's what puts me off apartments in general, though the building regulations have improved.
    Big hugs! <3
    Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    BECCA ~ Whatever happened to your very elderly neighbor that relied so much on you? Did she move?

Nope, she still lives right next to me. She has a scooter now, and buzzes around! I am pleasant, say hi and tell her how Nuke son is doing. She now has medical checkups at home, uses the taxi, or bus to get around. She leaves her bag of garbage outside her door, but we do not take the hint. My view, if she fills up a huge bag of garbage, then just buy more smaller more manageable bags! She is still on a list for an apt in Astoria. The Housing Authority is working with the manager here so she has extensions with not paying the rent here.
    Becca
    Glad to not be so used by her!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,618 Member
    Options
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, had a very special family weekend. My nephew’ bar mitzvah and next day a brunch for my youngest sister who turns 45 today!! Kept to low cal eating cause I haven’t been feeling very good lately.

Hope my blood test leads to a diagnosis, I have a horrible rash on my elbows, scalp chest and lower belly. I have joint pain as well and a bloody nose (not bad, intermittent). I am staying off of webmd cause it’s just borrowing trouble going to scary diagnosis’. I just have to wait. If I don’t hear from doc by Monday—I’m calling again cause the rash is really hot, itchy and out of control!!!

Trying to rest and relax, NYKAREN
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Heather and Karen VA ... thank you for the yogurt information! I'm finally getting smart here ... opened up a word document and copied your replies into it for future reference.

Wendy ... lovely photos!

Carol ... your granddaughter does strongly resemble you!

Girlfriends ... I have several but do not spend a lot of time with them ... just random lunches here and there. I keep thinking that I'll do better and then time and busy-ness get the best of me.

Becca ... I'm sorry you have to hear so much commotion. That cannot be easy to live with.

DH's husband is scheduled for surgery Tuesday. When I came back from taking care of my parents he was nearly incapacitated with pain. Literally unable to walk. So, it is very strange that yesterday and today that he has almost no pain and no numbness at all. We know that several groups of people have prayed specifically for him this past week and we believe in the power of prayer, but we also believe that God heals through the medical community as well (sorry if that's too much religion). Anyways, he's been struggling today whether to keep his surgical appointment. We decided to take a walk ... the idea of which was astonishing because it's something he hasn't been able to do for months ... to see if his pain/numbness would return. And it did, but not nearly so bad as it has been. He has decided to have the surgery on Tuesday with the belief that healing is already beginning. Thinking positive!

Beth near Buffalo

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,764 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »

Hope my blood test leads to a diagnosis, I have a horrible rash on my elbows, scalp chest and lower belly. I have joint pain as well and a bloody nose (not bad, intermittent). I am staying off of webmd cause it’s just borrowing trouble going to scary diagnosis’. I just have to wait. If I don’t hear from doc by Monday—I’m calling again cause the rash is really hot, itchy and out of control!!!

Trying to rest and relax, NYKAREN

So sorry you're not feeling well. The internet is a wonderful thing and an awful thing at the same time. Praying that your tests will give your doctor's good direction!

Beth
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I can't get an apps on my iPad because I can't remember my password! My daughter even has tried to face time with me but my name doesn't work anymore. I guess I really need to call apple support. What I really want is a new iPad. I can't play any game unless I close out everything on my iPad. Then it's an iffy that it will let me play. This iPad is probably 5 years old. I also really need a new phone but Michelle wants to wait until the Black Friday sales come out.
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    MARY I have spent the morning reading your success story and watching the videos for form. Then I tried out my new kettle ball. This is just what I needed to motivate myself as my standard workouts were getting tedious. I have been reading excerpts of Pavel Tsatouline's books online and will be checking out my library tomorrow to see what they have in stock and will be ordering my own copies too. My elbow is a bit sore after my workout but I probably wasn't doing the swing quite right. I haven't tried the "get up" yet, but did the squats. I can tell that this really targets my core. I am interested in all the theory as well. Love getting the Russian sinister spy secrets, LOL. I was also interested in your Keto-Vegan link, as I have thought that would be an excellent thing to try = the best of both worlds. LOL.

You are an inspiration! <3 Wendy
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Becca - I would find all that very stressful! It's the main reason we moved out of our apartment in London. Neighbour noise. :#:s I know your husband's health situation makes it difficult, but could the move to live with your son still be on?
    If we ever moved to Hove the neighbour situation would be sooooooo important. It's what puts me off apartments in general, though the building regulations have improved.
    Big hugs! <3
    Heather UK xxxxxxx]

I stress more than my husband. He can tune all that stuff out! We have appointments to see liver doctor in November, so hopefully we will know if we are eternally connected to OHSU, or stent procedures can just be done up towards where son lives. Or if surgery is recommended. If it is, then we would just stay here. Its a 2 hr trip to Portland vs a 5 hr trip from Whidbey island where son lives. I doubt the doctors would recommend any move if surgery was in our future. OHSU is very protective of its liver transplant patients! Its like my husband is their property.

I think since we have moved here back in 2012, we have had five different neighbors that we share a wall with! We first moved into a three bedroom, two bath apartment downstairs, but then decided to save money, and moved upstairs. Our old place has had 6 tenants since we moved out!
    Becca. Hugs!
    kbb8nnnrhy4a.jpg
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,145 Member
    Options
    Becca - thanks! It is nice to have all the ladies here as friends!

Wendy- that is a very nice size Kettlebell to start with. You might want to watch the videos that are on that link that I sent you. Correct form is very important. I would also suggest practicing correct form right along with the video. If you feel the Kettlebell is too heavy you can use a dumbbell or a jug of milk or water just to get the correct form and motion. PM me with any questions or concerns.

Kate - I really hope the ACV works for him. I love my Kettlebell! Glad you are getting yours out to work with.

Margaret - thanks for the information on Shea butter! I will make sure to check that out. My skin is usually so dry that I need some type of moisturizer.

Lanette - I know thatBarbie recommended a book called something like strong women strong bones?? I did read it and it has a lot of information about being able to strengthen your bones by doing strength training. I do believe that if I went back to my orthopedic doctor that a lot of my back issues may have been reversed or corrected. I don't have the back pain that I used to. Now if I don't work out that is when I hurt. I'm glad that your workout with the ankle weights have relieved your knee pain.
    Regards to the Kettlebell and strength training with your dumbbells and ankle and wrist weights the Kettlebell if done using the program that I do is similar to weight lifting. It is not just for your core it is for the complete body. If you swing the Kettlebell you don't need to do anything else unless you want to. Including cardio. The goblet squats with the kettle bell work your entire core and legs hips glutes… The swings work your entire body. The important thing to remember is with the kettle bell is to let the motion of the swing do the work not your shoulders or arms. Correct form is a must.
    I don't think that I am an introvert I think that the Bullying from the girls hindered me from female friends. As the boys got older hanging around with a girl was not as good as having a girlfriend. Therefore I really didn't have any friends at all. I actually spent most of my time babysitting and that is what really got me into teaching eventually. I am lucky that my sister actually is renting a house in Arizona more for her son going to school here but she lives mainly in Minnesota. I will be seeing her at the end of October. Nice to have relatives close.

Carol- your granddaughter looks very cute in her Halloween costume! What a smile!

Katla- I hope you have a fun time riding Arrow!

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Becca- beautiful flower! Your husband is so loving!

Wendy - there is a timer that I use which I mentioned in that link called Swing Timer. You set it for Worktime, it usually takes me 15 seconds, and 45 seconds for rest time. The number of reps really aren't important but I just put down 10. Then it also will ask for how many sets you are going to do. The most that they have you do is 25 so I leave it at that. I am also unable to do the weighted pull-ups but if you go online you can get many different ways to do a modified pull-up here's one example

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ap0ce0xdEqg

I'm glad that you are researching Pavel. I have read a couple of his books. I also know that several people have videos on how to use the kettle bell which I would not recommend. I like the Russian way very effective and not time-consuming!

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • fanncy0626
    edited October 2017
    Options
    NYKaren - i'm sorry to hear that! I will definitely be keeping you in my prayers! Let us know if there's anything we can do for you.

Beth - so happy for your husband! I hope that his surgery goes well on Tuesday!

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Margaret – I don’t remember ever feeling like I was being ‘sexually harassed’ at any of my jobs. Not so much as a touch that I remember. I ended up involved with a man at work (3 years); but, I had decided that I’d break up with him when I met Louis (actually before). I needed a little extra money than what I was being paid and then did not work until Louis and I married and moved to Jacksonville, FL. I got compliments, which I took and thanked the person for. I’ve heard of people (women) sleeping with their bosses to either ‘get ahead’ or ‘try to secure their jobs’. I don’t doubt this man probably ‘harassed’ women … he was in a position of power; but, then again, ‘not knowing who started it’ … it seemed to ‘snowball’ and now he is totally ruined. Maybe he deserves what he gets for it. But, in a way it reminds me of the Bill Cosby situation. I wondered why they waited for years before they accused him of various incidents. Why not before now? He’s an old, old man … why send him to prison? If I sat on a jury where an 18-year-old boy had sex with his 15-year-old girlfriend … why do something that would create him to be on a ‘sex offender’s list’. If course, that is usually when she becomes pregnant and her parents find out and they want for blood. I have 2 sons and dating anybody under the age of 16 was forbidden for just that reason. But, I think I brought my children ‘up right’ and ‘how to treat women’.

Rye – My Mimi used to make a really rich dessert, usually at Christmas when she also had pralines and divinity. It consisted of coconut, nuts, fruitcake fruit mix (although she would take the Citronella out of it. Then she poured a can of condensed milk in it and stir it up. Then she baked it until the milk was soaked into the mixture and it was getting brown (but not burned). I think she called it ‘crazy cake’. For all I know she made up the receipe. I know that I loved it; but, 1” square was about all you could eat without getting full. I want to say that she lined the square pan with aluminum foil; and, would use it to cover it; so she might have wrapped it completely before cooking. I just don’t remember. That is about as close as I would come to eating a fruitcake.

I’m pretty much the same way about male friends, don’t have that many; but when I like them I am not nearly as close to their wives. Louis is a flat-out flirt. In fact, his clients are usually the wives who want their house painted; but, he deals with the men when it comes to settling up. I think what gets him the most is when they want something changed or added and he informs them that whatever was not included in the original price, so that is rarely a problem. I know we had a neighbor who was ‘loaded’ and his wife was about as ‘squirrely’ as one gets. So she picked out a green/gray color. They had ‘dental trim’ and that means all of it was hand-painted and the house was about 2800square feet; that did not include the double carport, the shed he had in back with the same trim; he wanted Louis to paint it while he took her to the beach. They had gotten all of it done except the piece from the back corner of the house to the corner of the carport. They came home and the first thing she did was burst into tears and she did not like it. So he repainted it back to its original color and got paid twice as much to do it.

Penny – I love spinach! I don’t concern myself with the ‘macros’ of the calories; unless my sodium is really high … which can be the case because I like very spicy foods.

Tere– I think the PT is helping with my vertigo; but, finding the instructions harder to follow than I thought it would be. When you are shaking your head side-to-side while reading an eye chart … it makes you dizzy. Walking over what looks like upside down bicycle handlebars. Walking and nodding your head and leaning it over towards your shoulders and a few other things makes me extremely dizzy; but, it is getting a little better … supposed to make the crystals in my inner ear to move so they will help with my equilibrium. At least it will teach me ‘what I should do the next time I have one of these issues’.

How much apple vinegar just to how much honey?

Becca – Pretty rose! Maybe a move would do y’all some good. My BF lives in a condo and the walls between each are brick walls that go up past the roof. That way, if one catches on fire, it is unlikely for any of the others to burn; but, she still carries renters’ insurance.

Katie – Those ads get you to open them up by giving you a tad of ‘fake news’ so you will open it up. Like they have died or something like that. You’re right … it is a scam and also a way for them to attach cookies to your computer which makes it run really slow. Now, I don’t even open them.

Allie – I’m in shorts today; but, we are a whole lot more south than you are up there. The weather, of late, has been really screwy.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,618 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-
    Fl exer- 26.30min, 3sta of 10 ea, 14 diff exer, sliding crunch machine, 143mhr = 193c
    Apple Watch/ 191c
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Lenora- I never open one like that before but because I really enjoyed their program and they were actually in a news conference I thought it was credible. I think I might have gotten some cookies on my phone from that or something else! Any idea how to get rid of them?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    :) All is well here. No drama either good or bad.