WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,384 Member
    Options
    Becca - I am glad Prudence isn't pressuring you for rides anymore, but I am so sorry you have to listen to other neighbor noise. Sounds like you are dealing with it in a civilized manner - if my DH had to listen to it, there would be blows! I heard on the radio not long ago that noise is a form of torture. Sending you good thoughts for some peace! Your DH is a charmer with the rose and yogurt, by the way.

Lenora - when I became a county manager, I attended a lot of training on sexual harassment in the workplace. It's been a while, but as I recall there's the quid pro quo harassment - where the boss expects sexual favors in exchange for a job, raise, etc. Of course, there are the females who use their wiles to get to the boss. Remember "Sex and the Single Girl" by Helen Gurley Brown? All about how to sleep your way to the top, so it works both ways.

Then there's what I'd call "creeps" -coworkers who leer, make rude comments, sometimes "grope" or unwelcome touching - they can't hire or fire you, but they can make you pretty uneasy. Normally, a comment to them does the trick and if it doesn't, start documenting. B) Can a person bring a lawsuit and win because some dude entitled himself to a "free grope"? I doubt it. Laws may have changed tho since I took the training.

Speaking of, a county Director (not my boss) patted my tush in the hallway in front of the county commissioner's office one day- I was stunned and pulled away from him. When I regained my composure, I marched over to the prosecutor's office and told him if that dude ever touches me again, I'm going to kick him in the crotch and I dare the county to press charges against me for assault. Then I marched out, leaving the prosecutor with his jaw on the floor. That's how I roll, lol. :*

Of course, had that Director been George Clooney or that actor Robert Taylor who was Sheriff Walt Longmire in that TV series Longmire.... well.... it might have just been that the guy lost his balance and accidentally brushed his hand against my rear. No need to blow something innocent out of proportion. >:)<3o:)

Mary - yes, I have Barbie's recommended book "Strong Women Stay Young" and have a great strength workout going that I've been doing since May. I really enjoy it and look forward to it, so not sure I'd be ready to give it up and go total kettlebell. I plan to stop at the gym tomorrow and find out more about them tho.

Beth - thinking about your DH's upcoming surgery and crossing fingers this does the trick. You do need a vacation!

Tere - that darn Prednisone! Hoping the increased dose does the trick. Icky stuff but at this point, you don't have any other options, do you? Glad you and DH made it to church! Nice to head back to normal, that's for sure.

OK ladies, time to close. Have a great week!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr training games on the Wii. The plan for tomorrow is to do the 15 Minute Yoga DVD, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

Wendy - what lovely flowers

We have a dance lesson this afternoon, but I think I'll wash my car as soon as the garage area gets in the sun.

Allie - how do you know what time Tom woke up. More importantly, why do you care? And how do you know that he washed the floors, and why would you care anyway unless they were your floors?

Penny - thanks for the comparison for the sodium content. That really hit home. And thanks for the link. I really like spinach, be it in the spinach/feta pie or raw in my salad.

NYKaren - hope you get news from the doc

Beth - only good thoughts for your husband

Mary - is there any advantage to not using a dumbbell and only a kettlebell? In other words, can you use dumbbells in place of the kettlebell?

Michele in NC
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Greetings Ladies - We went to stay with friends for the weekend and their signal was pretty weak in the house so I just got caught up with posts this afternoon. My sweet friend had a birthday cake for me since we didn't celebrate together as we used to. I ate a small piece but refused to bring the rest of the cake home with me. I told her I would throw it away and not eat it so they should keep it. My neighbor's son turned 14 today so I had dinner with them this evening to celebrate. I did not have a piece of his cake :smiley: I guess we will see what the scale shows tomorrow. I logged the best I could and think it should be OK, maybe some water retention, but it should be off by the time I go to the Dr. on Friday. Have a great week ladies!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,024 Member
    Options
    Regarding face creams and other creams ... never use the stuff, anywhere. I hate the feeling of cream on me, and hate it when my skin feels moist/oily. I even refused to wear sunscreen for years because it felt so horrible, but fortunately I found one which goes on dry.

Regarding female friends ... when I was young, I had a few female friends, but since about the age of 20, I haven't had any I would call "close". I have trouble relating to women. I've always been a tomboy and as an adult, I got into mostly-male fields ... accounting, engineering, IT, etc. Since I never had children, I didn't and don't relate to women who have had children. And I've always been into cycling which is a mostly male sport, for some reason.

Regarding spinach ... love it! Especially raw or in Saag Paneer.

Machka in Oz
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,145 Member
    Options
    Lanette- I know about strong women stay young but this one is actually called strong women strong bones

https://books.google.com/books/about/Strong_Women_Strong_Bones.html?id=KT-TKMs3s34C&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button
  • Machka9
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Lenora- I never open one like that before but because I really enjoyed their program and they were actually in a news conference I thought it was credible. I think I might have gotten some cookies on my phone from that or something else! Any idea how to get rid of them?

First run Malwarebytes to see if you've acquired any viruses.

Then ... it depends what you're using: IE, Chrome, FireFox ...

If IE, then go into Tools > Internet Options ... when the dialogue box comes up, look in the Browsing History section for the button "Delete", then click it. You can select what you want to delete (notice that it includes cookies) ... and delete.

You can also have a look at Settings there to see where your temporary files (from your browsing history) are stored, and how long you want your browsing history to be stored for.

Many people never delete their browsing histories ... if someone ever got onto your computer, they could see exactly what you've been looking at for who knows how long.

If I use a public computer anywhere (at work, in a library, at uni, etc.), I delete my browsing history before logging off. At home, I delete it every 2 or 3 months, or whenever my computer seems to be running a bit slow.

Note that if you delete your whole browsing history (if you tick all the options after you click the Delete button), you will delete out any saved passwords too. In other words, if you checked the "Remember Me" box when you signed into My Fitness Pal, My Fitness Pal will no longer remember you the next time you open it. But that's OK, just sign in again and click "Remember Me" again. But this is why I usually only delete everything about every 2-3 months ... I've "Remember Me"'d a number of university sites and can't be bothered to re-log into them each time. So when my classes come to an end, I delete and clean up my browsing history to start fresh again.

Oh yes ... and avoid clicking the Click Bait. :)

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,384 Member
    Options
    Lanette- I know about strong women stay young but this one is actually called strong women strong bones

https://books.google.com/books/about/Strong_Women_Strong_Bones.html?id=KT-TKMs3s34C&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button

Mary - thank you! I will check this out, it sounds great!!

Lanette
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,145 Member
    Options
    Machka- thanks I'm going to be do that! And I am going to be very careful about what I click on from now on!

Lanette - you're welcome! I do believe it was Barbie that told me about that book as well!
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Marking my place
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    wrote:
    [

Of course, had that Director been George Clooney or that actor Robert Taylor who was Sheriff Walt Longmire in that TV series Longmire.... well.... it might have just been that the guy lost his balance and accidentally brushed his hand against my rear. No need to blow something innocent out of proportion. >:)<3o:)

Lanette
    SW WA State

llnr4liplvma.png Oh you've got me laughing!

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was working there was an employee that loved to go around and tell dirty jokes. I guess in some instances, that could be sexual harassment. I know I should have not listened but I always did and laughted or groaned but I listened. I was one of hose people who had a hard time making friends and I guess I laughed because I wanted to be friends. But I know my parents would have really whooped my butt if I did that as a teenager. I have my old muses group that I see when we can get together. Are they bosom buddies? No. Would I be totally distressed if anything should happen to them? I don't think I wouldn't be anymore than any other aquantence. The same with my Sunday School class at church or my choir members, I remember at my present church and previous one being so envious of people getting together after church. I would stand close and act like I was listening but no one asked me to go out to lunch after church or for ice crea, after choir. Many time I felt like a wall flower. That is kind of how I feel with Charlie at times. When we travel, he can talk, AKA, *}+]*}^ at other drivers, but he won't talk to me. I just feel like I am invisible. To it I said something I felt he needed to know and I got no response.mso I asked him if he listened and he said no. This has really affected my confidence in making conversation when I am out with my nurse friends. I don't know what to say.

I don't know if some of you who have been here awhle have noticed that I have posted less but I just feel like a failure as far as MFP goes. I think I remain here just to talk.

And it may pertain to what I said earlier, but I didn't go to church is morning. I a, having back pain again and it's easy to get up in the morning in pain, go to the bathroom and just go back to bed. Especially if I know there are enough altos to sing our special. I stopped going to Sunday School last year when I had the severe back pain and I just haven't gotten back.

Thank for listening guys. Joyce, Indiana where we will be dipping down into the 30's tomorrow
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka- thanks I'm going to be do that! And I am going to be very careful about what I click on from now on!

BTW - I was answering with a computer in mind rather than a phone. I do use Malwarebytes on my phone, but I haven't figured out all the tricks to get rid of browser history etc. yet.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Woke up at 2.30 with my cough and haven't got back to sleep at all. I will go up to London to see Becky, but I think we will come back early and not take in the exhibition. Fed up. Most of the time I am absolutely fine, and then an odd night I just wheeze.
    NYKAREN. - Hope you get this resolved. <3

Joyce. - please don't leave us. I really value your presence. <3 You matter to me and many others.
    Much love to all, Heather UK XXXXXX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: No drama is one of the best possible circumstances. Congratulations! :flushed:

I've been trying lots of different paint samples for the bedroom to see what I think. So far, I haven't found anything that seems right. Wish us luck making a choice. Painting is scheduled to start on Friday. :flowerforyou:

Katla
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,753 Member
    Options
    Michelle
    I dropped Chester off there before going to feed DFIL.so that is when I talked to him.i don't care what he does...was just making conversation..yes my name is still on the house but he lives there .so I ring bell and wait to be asked in.only time I let myself in is when I go to walk the dogs during the week.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Joyce, my dear - we're listening, whether Charlie is or not. You are not invisible, and you are loved here. I struggle with the same thoughts in terms of whether I belong in this group, as I'm not counting calories at the moment, and am trying to find a different way to make peace with food and my body. But this has become my tribe for different reasons than food alone--I think we encourage each other to be emotionally healthy as well as physically healthy, and provide support that extends far beyond diet and exercise.

Allie
    - your love for your dogs is amazing, wish you could have them with you at the condo. I know you do, as well.

NYKaren - hope the doc can do something to resolve the rash.

Heather - coughing at night is the worst.

I don't think it's technically insomnia when you're asleep on the recliner at about 7 p.m... but that's honestly some of the best sleep I get these days. It also has me up before 3 a.m. almost every morning, but it gives me time to check in with y'all before trying to accomplish everything else!

Sold a bunch of stuff yesterday, friends took away two pickup loads of furniture, including dining table and chairs, three end tables, both bicycles, and more. AND, they bought the refrigerator, and won't pick it up until this weekend, so only a few days without one.

That was the one piece that worried me most in terms of trying to fit it into the panel trailer, due to clearance. The cash doesn't hurt a thing, either. I don't get too het up about how much people are willing to pay for stuff, since I never buy or build anything with the thought in mind of selling it. Getting something back for it always seems like a gift. Not hauling it with us to NC is also a gift! :wink: When we finally do settle in a house, we'll either furnish it out of garage sales or build it anyway--it's pretty much our style.

OK, it's a workday, so I can finally focus on these two grants I'm trying to get out the door before I take a week off to head for NC.

Love y'all...
    Lisa, still in West Texas for... 9 or 10 days more

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Joyce, honey, don't leave. As Heather says, you matter!

I've always been impressed with the strength of your convictions. I remember being shocked when you mentioned that Charlie punched in the wall of his bathroom when he was angry. That really scared me, never having encountered that kind of aggression, and I would have been out of that marriage in double quick time. It was an eye-opener to me when you wrote about staying with him because you hold your marriage vows sacrosanct. I cherish this opportunity to learn of different attitudes toward life.

If you don't have the energy to post or don't have anything to share, that's fine. I know when I'm feeling overwhelmed it helps just to come here and read about others' triumphs and tribulations. So do what you feel like doing on the thread - no more, no less. That said, we do appreciate a little post now and again so we know our missing friend is just having some down time. :flowerforyou:

/Penny at the North Pole

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,753 Member
    Options
    Joyce~ dont you dare go anywhere..
    I was sort of in the same boat as you my friend, when Tom got angry hr would slam his fist on a table or a wall. and of course the dogs scattered.. you do NOT deserve to be treated that way...I understand that you are staying in your marriage.. I could not, that is emotional and mental abuse.. the final straw was his infidelity... I deserve so much more than that.. and I have found a new independence that I thought I would never have..
    I will keep you in my prayers dear friend.. but you will always have us to fall back on..
    Lisa~ so happy that your getting things done and getting ready to move.. and that is how I furnished my place except for 1 or 2 new things I got my dresser for 50.00 and my kitchen table and bar stools for 125.00
    and my chair and ottoman for 200.00 . may I recommend melotonin if you are having trouble sleeping it has done wonders for me as is,one less stress, and a cup of sleepytime tea is always good too.
    I was bored yesterday so I went to bed early and was a wake at 2 am.and tossed and turned and finally got up at 5, should have just gotten up and gone to the gym..I will get there I promise..