Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    I'm going to start paying more attention to my weight along side my deficit because my weight has been lower than expected. It's TOM, and I just finished a reefed and I even went 500 cal over maintenance and I weighed the exact same this morning as I did before the reefed/TOM. I've also been way hungrier than usual since I increased my protein which surprised me. Felt fine eating a larger deficit at about 50 g of protein but at 100g I can be starving after eating all my calories for the day. Opposite of what I was expecting.

What were your sources of protein and what was your activity like leading up to the increased protein? I remember you were feeling the effects of DOMS last week, which in itself is a very energy demanding process to repair and recover.

I thought DOMS could've had something to do with it! The days that I was the most sore were the days I was the most hungry. And I got about 21 grams from supplement and the rest from plants/dairy.
    I'm going to start paying more attention to my weight along side my deficit because my weight has been lower than expected. It's TOM, and I just finished a reefed and I even went 500 cal over maintenance and I weighed the exact same this morning as I did before the reefed/TOM. I've also been way hungrier than usual since I increased my protein which surprised me. Felt fine eating a larger deficit at about 50 g of protein but at 100g I can be starving after eating all my calories for the day. Opposite of what I was expecting.

Curious, what has your fat intake done with the increase of calories going to protein?

Well everything kind of went up together because I started eating more calories, but looking at percentages, fat and protein both went up, carbs going down.

Yep, and that’s a pretty strong correlation regarding strength training in general. For most people, just getting back into or starting strength training, there’s a lot of reported increased appetite. Logically, it makes sense. Muscle damage requires protein and nutrients for repair and recovery.

DOMS is that process to a greater degree, which could explain the extra weight loss as well, since there actually is more damage done so inflammation and fluid shift dissipate as cells recover.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Was on my third set of glute bridges in 28 C degree heat, looking at my ceiling wondering what the hell I was thinking, when I remembered I have a ceiling fan :D I never use it b/c Mandy furchild freaked out when I tried in winter (to get fire heat circulating). Cats can suck it up.

Yay!! Trained!! That feels so much better :)

Ha, I did most of my dance training in Auckland. In a studio with no air con just a few fans circulating warm air. Ever done what we called body conditioning (super intense cardio) in 30+ degree heat? It's a good time.
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

What were your sources of protein and what was your activity like leading up to the increased protein? I remember you were feeling the effects of DOMS last week, which in itself is a very energy demanding process to repair and recover.

I thought DOMS could've had something to do with it! The days that I was the most sore were the days I was the most hungry. And I got about 21 grams from supplement and the rest from plants/dairy.

Curious, what has your fat intake done with the increase of calories going to protein?

Well everything kind of went up together because I started eating more calories, but looking at percentages, fat and protein both went up, carbs going down.

Yep, and that’s a pretty strong correlation regarding strength training in general. For most people, just getting back into or starting strength training, there’s a lot of reported increased appetite. Logically, it makes sense. Muscle damage requires protein and nutrients for repair and recovery.

DOMS is that process to a greater degree, which could explain the extra weight loss as well, since there actually is more damage done so inflammation and fluid shift dissipate as cells recover.

Good to know, thank you.
  • anubis609
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    OP has been updated for those interested.

That update is all kinds of awesome. Whoever woo'ed it in a way that didn't mean it was awesome needs to be hit with some science.

I generally "woo" in the sense that it was hilariously/purely awesome... unless it's actually pure woo :P
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lemon!! And thanks Anubis for doing the bulk of the work on that :)

That update is all kinds of awesome. Whoever woo'ed it in a way that didn't mean it was awesome needs to be hit with some science.

The thread got woo'd long ago. Someone went on a wee spate at one point.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I broke the rules of the 'how much water weight can I gain' sorry guys :\. Mass food processor/blender catastrophic disaster last night, and by the time I'd cleaned 800ml of shake off my floor and walls and appliances, I was just over it, so, deficit. I think yesterday would have been max with ovulation anyway.

Exercise for the day so far (before 6.30am): retrieving baby bunny from under bed and burying it. Just how many bunny funerals am I going to have to have???
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Looking at who woo'd, id take them as good Woo's.

Good to know ;)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Many thanks to both you and Anubis for all you've both done in creating and expanding this thread! The best one ever!!

Thanks :) Hopefully the revised OP will give new people everything they need to jump in without having to read 80 pages :D
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Many thanks to both you and Anubis for all you've both done in creating and expanding this thread! The best one ever!!

I feel like I could have mentioned something about overtraining/under eating... but I wasn't about to keep editing only to ADD MORE to it lol. And @Nony_Mouse deserves most of it for creating one of the better long-running threads. It's worth mentioning again; I just don't shut up :lol:

We probably could have just chucked the link to aggressive deficits and too much cardio from Bodycomposition.com in there. Oh well...it's the kind of thing that will get caught quickly if someone comes in with that background anyway.

How weird is it that I only started this sucker two months ago? And that it's still going strong!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    The revised OP is terrific -- thank you so much for putting the important stuff together clearly! But I wouldn't have missed reading and watching this thread grow from the beginning, and learning as it developed. <3:)

Yeah, I definitely still think it's worth wading through for new comers to the thread, which is why I encouraged it in the revision, but understandably daunting!! Basically people just need to have it open in a seperate browser window and chip away at it :D
  • anubis609
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    The revised OP is terrific -- thank you so much for putting the important stuff together clearly! But I wouldn't have missed reading and watching this thread grow from the beginning, and learning as it developed. <3:)

Yeah, I definitely still think it's worth wading through for new comers to the thread, which is why I encouraged it in the revision, but understandably daunting!! Basically people just need to have it open in a seperate browser window and chip away at it :D

Haha the amount of additional comments makes it a very worthy dig. And just so everyone has a bit of gold to find within their excavation, here's one that addresses NEAT, adaptive thermogenesis, noob recomposition

https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/qa-fat-loss-fat-loss/bodyrecomposition-mailbag-4.html/