Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Luckily Tobias is too well behaved still to get up on benches and tables (he's done it twice, once when I was trying to herd him to take him to the vet, and one other time when he got told off, and hasn't done it since). The other two can't jump that high anymore. Toby really is the best child, he doesn't even try to eat the other cats' raw food anymore, he looks at me, and I say 'I'm so sorry baby, but it makes you sick', and he leaves it alone <3

I'm gonna need to go back to old underwear at this rate!! Wearing one of my new long line bras and thinking it may not have been the best choice, but I need to feel pretty, dammit!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,943 Member
    Options
    Nony? I hear you mention grass.

Without going into too many details about black and white dogs and their black and white striped friends, let's just say that I have good reason to believe that some powdered Arm+Hammer baking soda spread over an area of "grass" definitely guarantees the lack of future grass problems in that area! :anguished:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Nony? I hear you mention grass.

Without going into too many details about black and white dogs and their black and white striped friends, let's just say that I have good reason to believe that some powdered Arm+Hammer baking soda spread over an area of "grass" definitely guarantees the lack of future grass problems in that area! :anguished:

I suspect my landlord wouldn't be too thrilled if I killed the entire lawn :D I am going to ask about paving the side of the house where the washing line is though. It's a pain in the butt to get the lawnmower in there, and isn't used for anything else, so...but the sun is nicely dealing to the rest of the lawns. Once I've mown those seedy bits, it should die quite successfully :)

Hardware shop of course didn't have protective suits in my size (reasonable sure a large would be absurd), but of course the local safety shop did, which also alerted me to the fact I can write that off as a business expense!

I also managed to hunt down the last strawberry plants in the region. Yay!! And mint is finally repotted into a bigger pot, though probably needed bigger still.

Currently hiding inside for a bit b/c it's 28 C in the shade. Luckily the area where I want to work to put in the strabs is shaded at the moment, but I need to put on some long sleeves and legs. Or the hazmat suit.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    It's not so much upsetting the mental hamsters (over it), as it is useless data that doesn't mean anything. I like having the hormonal swings recorded because that's actually useful for predicting when things are happening.

In other news, a baked potato with chilli beans for lunch in heat, ugh, what was I thinking??? Oh, that's right, potassium.

It's meant to rain Monday week. Like proper, torrential initially (yeah, that's just gonna run off), followed by the rest of the day of moderate to heavy. I will believe it when I see it. River might flood though, which is always cool to go look at.

Ditto, I don't like meaningless data either.

It would be like visiting your parents for a week, and being told the scale is flaky and you test and confirm yep, it moves 2-3 lbs just getting off and back on.

Why even bother with useless data - unless you are testing and logging variances of potential scale weight differences.

So too known expected reasons for water weight changes. Now, if known and they come up all the time (monthly say, or after workouts) - then indeed useful info.

But I'm not about log an 8 lb weight drop after a 3 hr summer bike ride, while I drank 3 lbs of water on the bike.
    Why?
    But obviously I did weigh and I know that happens. But logging isn't useful for weight loss.

Just as logging several times through the day sometimes might be interesting to see the variances - it's meaningless for tracking weight loss.
  • heybales
    Options
    Yes, I think I'll keep to about 1400 a day and eat back half of exercise calorie for a while and adjust if needed. I'll probably be back of I can manage to reach 160 at the end of the next year. Cause that's the point where I used to struggle to maintain and weight just bounced back.

MFP is trying to teach a weight life lesson.

When you do more, you eat more.
    When you do less, you eat less. (that's the kicker for most)

In a diet a little less in either case.

So it's good you recognize now that when you do more than MFP expected (which is any exercise since it expects none) - then you should eat more.

Creating a bigger deficit than reasonable, is just creating a fight for the body, and stress for you.

If you review the first 2-3 pages of this topic - you'll come to appreciate the idea of diet breaks means having a good idea of what maintenance is - which means things like changing exercise or life play a part - and need to be accounted for.

Also, because I commonly see people take big deficits and ignore exercise calories, also pick the wrong Activity Level - what do you do daily outside of exercise, and what level did you select?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    It's not so much upsetting the mental hamsters (over it), as it is useless data that doesn't mean anything. I like having the hormonal swings recorded because that's actually useful for predicting when things are happening.

In other news, a baked potato with chilli beans for lunch in heat, ugh, what was I thinking??? Oh, that's right, potassium.

It's meant to rain Monday week. Like proper, torrential initially (yeah, that's just gonna run off), followed by the rest of the day of moderate to heavy. I will believe it when I see it. River might flood though, which is always cool to go look at.

Ditto, I don't like meaningless data either.

It would be like visiting your parents for a week, and being told the scale is flaky and you test and confirm yep, it moves 2-3 lbs just getting off and back on.

Why even bother with useless data - unless you are testing and logging variances of potential scale weight differences.

So too known expected reasons for water weight changes. Now, if known and they come up all the time (monthly say, or after workouts) - then indeed useful info.

But I'm not about log an 8 lb weight drop after a 3 hr summer bike ride, while I drank 3 lbs of water on the bike.
    Why?
    But obviously I did weigh and I know that happens. But logging isn't useful for weight loss.

Just as logging several times through the day sometimes might be interesting to see the variances - it's meaningless for tracking weight loss.

Exactly. And even from a 'how much water gain does it cause perspective, I have no idea if my TDEE is running high from repair, or what impact Saturday's flare had.

I'm currently trying to steel myself to do these damn lawns. It's still 21 C, it's probably not going to get any cooler. So don't wanna, kinda have to.
  • heybales
    Options
    I've mowed in the dark. But then again, that was at night, so not exactly cooler yet if it had been summer. And early morning has some codes about start time. Besides the more obvious fact I ain't getting up.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Everyone does their lawns like this, right??

6oywqrhrgvk4.jpg

Sorry but LOL.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I LOL'ed too. Sorry not sorry.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Okay, let's make this fun, bets on how much water weight Nony can gain on pred. I'm on day 3 of 5 at twice a day (though I can scale down as soon as the rash has cleared, so may get away with four days), and 5 days at once a day (though if I only do four at twice a day I may be able to do fewer at one as well, need to check with doctor on that. Ovulation around mid next week should also be taken into account. Could be Wednesday, could be Saturday, or anywhere in between.
    7.5 kilos

8.8 to 9.9 lbs. Gone within 22 days (21+1)

God, that long?? I actually realised that if I do gain in the realm of 4.5 kg, that almost puts me back to mid-August. I know it's water, but...can't it just drop off in like, a day?? Two?? If I low carb and eat loads of potassium?

I'd say 10-12 at most, probably closer to 7. Pred "water weight" is a bit stickier than dietary(because as with all meds it does have a half life). but 3 weeks is a bit long for 15 doses 5x2 +5x1
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Owning my awesome click, because there's no "empathy" or "yup, it sucks" click here.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm up an unholy 4 pounds this morning, and of course I had a doctor's appointment today :/

I always have delayed reactions to refeeds, it's weird. Anyway, I went back to deficit eating yesterday, and had quite a healthy one because I wasn't really all that hungry.

Anyway, years ago, my psoriatic arthritis was diagnosed as fibromyalgia when fibro was a nascent diagnosis that they sort of threw things at when they didn't really know what was wrong with you. This is because the only place I have psoriasis on my body is my fingernails, and it took a while for it to become bad enough for me to point it out to my doctor (well, it actually took me becoming vain about my nails and knowing something was up to point it out).

Anyway, the doctor I saw today was my rheumatologist. I told her what's been going on with me, and she diagnosed me with fibromyalgia having devloped secondarily to my psoriatic arthritis. Ironic diagnosis is ironic, and apparently this is commonly found in patients with autoimmune arthritis. A lot more is known about fibro now than was known back when the diagnosis was thrown at me in error.

Apparently my long flares are more symptomatic of fibro the PsA flares.

There's nothing to be done for it. I'm already on meds that would be thrown at fibro. I'm just to keep on keeping on with exercising to manage the fatigue, eating well, and maintaining good sleep hygiene.

Man that sucks. I know at least a couple of people with fibro. One can manage it really well when she keep sup her exercise (and is doing "well" with her weight) and the other just about manages to get through the day as best she can. It's sucky.