Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• stephaniedenise28
    stephaniedenise28 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Hi @stephaniedenise28. Is Enzo an Italian greyhound? He's very handsome. I thought a whippet at first, but then noticed his name. :)

Thank you for the welcome everyone :)

@JoLightensUp Ha, I wish he was the size of an Italian Greyhound, means I could actually pick him up when hes bouncing all over someone! He is a lurcher- his mum was a Bedlington terrier x Whippet and his dad was a Greyhound x Collie, and he is now nearing Greyhound size with Collie stamina.. lots of walking for us!!

Been trying to work off of the calorie burns from my Garmin- which was working pretty spot on (I thought, but only had about 2 weeks of proper data) till I thought it was a good idea to upgrade to the Fenix 5s. The calorie burns from that are much lower, which is very frustrating and playing games with my head, cause I don't now have constant weight data to compare with thanks to TOM and a bit of a lazy week when I first bought the watch.

Hoping I can get rid of the mind games and get some proper data in the next couple of weeks so that I can figure out if this watch was worth the money :(

I massively over read into things ha and I like to sit down every Monday and compare my calorie burns to MFP and work out where my weight should be.. I clearly have too much time on my hands at work! (I know that these watches are never 100% accurate, but it is nice to have something to work from)

Sorry for venting!! :)

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    So question, probably ridiculous, but what the hell. My body temperature (core temperature?) is around 97.5. Does being about a degree below average have any significant impact on BMR? I'm always cold, but I've been that way my whole adult life no matter what my weight, so I'm not sure that would apply.

I read an article a few years ago by some guy who figured the reason we're getting fatter is because civilization has made us too warm. He was advocating going without a coat in winter, sleeping naked with no covers (you'll get used to it!), cold showers, keeping the house temperature cold, stuff like that to speed up the metabolism. According to him, being cold all the time would keep you naturally lean. At the time I actually believed his story, and I still figured if the trade for being thin was spending my life in freezing hell, I'd live with fat, thank you very much. :o

Commented on the aspect of avg body temp above your post - you can't compare to general population avg when talking a few degrees difference. May be genetic, or combined with has your adult life always been some form of diet in general? Taking into account would normally not be noticed if warmer out.

So the potential is interesting for what lower temps could do. But notice the temp they got down to in the study to get shivering going.
    This isn't a temp that says put on clothes, this is the involuntary response because it is so cold. Hard to do much in life when at that temp. Holding things, typing, sleeping, eating. Good luck if attempted.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/shivering-triggers-brown-fat-produce-heat-burn-calories

So say your RMR was 1600 to keep it easy - and since shivering and very cold, you ain't doing much else - 48% increase - so say 2400. How long you keeping that up - 1 hr?
    So 100 cal burned instead of 67 normal.
    33 cal increase for an hour.
    What activity level might you have been at if not doing much so you could shiver for this effect?

I'd rather do the 1 hr ride at easy level they reference for effect.

There was another study I recall about the temp down to feel cold but not shiver - you did tend to move more to generate more heat if left to your own devices rather than sitting in lab.
    Lab results were so minor as to not be worth it generally. So if 33 extra calories shivering above, what, 10 cal or lees increase for this method?
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I'm way behind on this thread. I was up at my old house last week because my company's local headquarters is up there, my boss is up there, and the training facilities are there - and I was taking a week training course to be ready for storm dispatching (I work for the power company). Since I'm trying to sell the house and am not living there any more, I had the cable and internet turned off. I'd go out to McDonald's or Sheetz (a gas station/food place) for a bit of free wifi, but hate trying to respond to anything using my kindle - and I despise the MyFitnessPal phone app :)

And I'm sore! I spent the week painting. I put 3 coats of paint on the dining and living room ceilings, 2 coats on the kitchen and 1 bed room ceiling, the hall, and the bathroom ceilings, and 1 coat of paint on my old bedroom ceiling, washed down 2 bedrooms, and painted the walls in the dining room, living room, bathroom, and 1 bedroom - most of that was done in a 24 hour period, too! I lost track of how may trips up and down that ladder I made - I should have put on a pedometer just to keep track lol

I took yesterday as a vacation day, and spent the day painting at the new place and then helping my dad hang kitchen cabinets. This evening will be more painting.....

@Nony_Mouse : I hope Mario gets to feeling better! :frowning: I have one of my six that I'm getting concerned about as well. She's rather big but seems to move around okay - however, whenever I pet her down her back, near the base of her tale, she yelps and swats at me. I can't feel anything wrong, and she doesn't seem to have any problems moving, jumping, or playing, but I'm still concerned. She often gets mats in that spot and I've held her down to cut them out, so I don't know if she's yelping because she detests being restrained and associates my touching her there with being restrained, or if its a sign of a bigger problem. Unfortunately, there's no way I can afford a vet bill right now, or x-rays or the such, so she's going to have to wait until February, unless it turns into an emergency. I love my cats and I hate that health care for pets is so darned expensive! And I can't afford pet insurance for the 6 of them, either :frowning:

Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Just gotta say I really love your profile pic @Psychgrrl

Thanks! It’s me when I was four. I was such a cute kid. I often wonder what the heck happened! :lol:

*grins* I have the same problem - I thought I was a rather adorable little girl; now? I'm surprised I don't break mirrors.....

@Nony_Mouse I thought of you last night.. I was watching an American shark show, and they came down to New Zealand to interview NZ fishermen, with regular NZ accents (i understood every word), and they put sub titles on the screen lol As if the NZ guys were speaking some foreign non English language :lol:

It then reminded me of my most favourite D*ck, I mean Deck commercial :laugh:

The frequency with which this is done in the US is both hilarious and alarming. Like literally anyone who has a not-American or stereotypically "British" (which isn't a thing, our accents change every 5 miles, every 2 miles in scotland) accent is subtitled.

Wait, aren't you in Aussie?! Well now I'm even more baffled.

Cold update because I know you want one. The inside of my face hurts.

I've never understood the issue academia seems to have with dialects and accents and why it seems necessary to force someone to speak with a certain accent, especially now adays with this push for cultural appreciation and diversity. A dialect is a major part of a person's culture and heritage!

But that may just be the vast interest I have in linguistics coming out :) Even if my own Appalachian accent renders it nearly impossible for me to ever fluently speak another language lol Even if I'd love to learn to speak a few others and find the IPA chart fascinating!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Yep on the cold related to under-eating. Last proper go around with the ED monster was during summer coming up on 7 years ago, and I was having to take hot baths during the day to warm myself up.

I was cold all the time when I was still obese and overeating! As I've said, menopause made things entirely different for me. I'm warmer during refeeds, but that's not saying much.

I also know my normal core temperature, back when I was younger, is lower than usual because I was tracking basal temperature for a long time while we were trying to conceive. This was over 20 years ago, though. So I had years of data.

However, saying that? When I'm active? Watch out. I need to keep cool and cannot stand to be hot. If I overheat when exercising, it can trigger a migraine. I don't know how people do hot yoga.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    So question, probably ridiculous, but what the hell. My body temperature (core temperature?) is around 97.5. Does being about a degree below average have any significant impact on BMR? I'm always cold, but I've been that way my whole adult life no matter what my weight, so I'm not sure that would apply.

I read an article a few years ago by some guy who figured the reason we're getting fatter is because civilization has made us too warm. He was advocating going without a coat in winter, sleeping naked with no covers (you'll get used to it!), cold showers, keeping the house temperature cold, stuff like that to speed up the metabolism. According to him, being cold all the time would keep you naturally lean. At the time I actually believed his story, and I still figured if the trade for being thin was spending my life in freezing hell, I'd live with fat, thank you very much. :o

We keep the house on a reasonably cool side because I know I'm the odd one out in the family and won't make the rest of the family suffer , I like to sleep in a cool room, we're not made of money, and while I am cold all the time, my sinuses don't necessarily like breathing in warm dry air all winter. I'd rather get up and move around to keep warm.

Saying that, the idea of keeping it downright cold? Yeah, no.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    And no answers for me.... The Dr is less interested in my hormone levels at the moment, and more concerned with my blood panels. Apparently I have to be bleeding from somewhere, and she's surprised I haven't noticed anything in terms of blood loss, or fatigue, or dizziness etc. I have a referral for endoscopy/colonoscopy, but due to not having private health insurance it could take a while to see someone.

While I'm glad you're not experiencing symptoms, that's also scary to think about and I'm glad you are being tested and having this looked into.

I'm sorry your only answer was more questions, though. I know how absolutely frustrating that can be.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Lolz, conveniently ignores the fact that we evolved in sub-Saharan Africa, harnessed fire a good 2 million years ago, and have been making clothes and coverings for a goodly long time too. Those wooly mammoths were good for more than food! (you can also make a nice wee hut from their ribs)

I just love when your archaeological knowledge smashes down woo like this. Girl crush activated.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    So still hovering in a place I don't like. And getting really fed up with this. Anger ahead.

And also not doing fantastically on the refeeding aspect -- I basically told my dietitian that OK, I'd given her a couple of weeks at that, and nothing changed, so we were going back to my way until she could reassure me that this wasn't going to get worse. She couldn't. So we're on a break until late January, as she thought that I could use a break from someone telling me what to eat; she also thought that this might help with some of the control issues, and maybe at least try to mitigate some of this absolute anger over everything. I agreed. Also working with the endo to tweak my synthroid, and am trying (albeit not fantastically successfully) to be patient.

Reassure me: Even if water weight from being hypo, and any cortisol effects (pushing for that testing come February, because this is all so ridiculous) and then rebound water weight from trying and failing (see the previous "I suck at patience" thing) to quit diuretic usage and ... some other bad habits, lasts for six+ months, it's not magically going to turn into fat, right? Because at this point, I'm now four pounds heavier from where I was at this point last year, and I feel like I'm just some fat person trying to rationalize being fat.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Only excess calories can turn into fat. And you know this. You've seen the drastic amount of water weight (20 flipping pounds!) that cortisol can put on a woman, and I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get that high from how stressed you and your body are at this point.

I know I'm not the one with the education on these issues, but I know enough to know you're not eating the calories to make fat.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Only excess calories can turn into fat. And you know this. You've seen the drastic amount of water weight (20 flipping pounds!) that cortisol can put on a woman, and I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get that high from how stressed you and your body are at this point.

I know I'm not the one with the education on these issues, but I know enough to know you're not eating the calories to make fat.

Yeah. I feel like ... I think I know this, but with it going on for so long, I'm not entirely convinced that I'm not lying to myself on how the science works.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Yeah. I feel like ... I think I know this, but with it going on for so long, I'm not entirely convinced that I'm not lying to myself on how the science works.

I know. Brain hamsters are nasty little *kittens* who really do a number on you. Sending you strength.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 - sounds like arthritis in her lower spine to me, which is where Mario's started. Given its winter, try to keep her warm if you can. A heating pad would be awesome for her if you can stretch to it. When you are able to see the vet, shouldn't need x-rays, at least not initially, push for glucosamine injections (course of weekly shots over a month, then boosters every two-three months) over metacam (NSAID, which just manages pain, and long-term use can do a number on the kidneys, says the girl who now has a cat with possible early-stage kidney problems). Also have a look at your local vet clinic or pet store for over the counter supplements or treats with glucosamine or anything with Green-lipped mussel in it, it won't hurt her if arthritis isn't the issue, but may help a bit in the meantime until she can be seen.

@gottaburnemall - I do it just for you ;) (didn't even bother to look anything up for that one, I was like 'I should check the dates for earliest awls', then went 'meh', but basically anyone moving into Ice Age Europe, so our Neanderthal cousins, wasn't doing it without some clothing. They were robust and cold-adapted (big nasal cavities to warm air going into lungs, shorter limbs for less heat loss), but not that cold adapted (and of course developed those adaptations to the cold once they were exposed to it).

@collectingblues - it's water, it's water, it's water, it will not magically turn to fat xx
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    It's only 19 C in my house guys!! Of course it's also on 6.53 am, so the sun is not yet high enough, plus there is some cloud (which will probably disappear far too quickly). Cat is currently decidedly more energetic, but I'm not sure if that's the cooler temp or if he's feeling better. He is eating better, which is a very good thing. He's well enough to be pissed that he can't go hunt. Still limping. We'll see if he flops again as it warms up in here, though hopefully we won't hit 29 C inside again with the net curtain in play.

Fishy is hanging in.

I am not weighing in today, because there is a big pile of henna on my head, and I have no idea how much difference that makes.
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    How accurate are 7 point caliper tests for BF% ? Really, I have no need for extreme accuracy, but it's something I've been wondering. Last test I had put me at 25.5% (about 10 lbs ago) but when I look at the comparison pics I feel like mine must be much higher than that. But I don't know if it's just my brain confusing me, or different body shapes or what.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    How accurate are 7 point caliper tests for BF% ? Really, I have no need for extreme accuracy, but it's something I've been wondering. Last test I had put me at 25.5% (about 10 lbs ago) but when I look at the comparison pics I feel like mine must be much higher than that. But I don't know if it's just my brain confusing me, or different body shapes or what.

I think it really depends on the skill of the person operating the calipers.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

All BF Tests are inaccurate but the 7 point caliper is just about as good as any other IMHO. Many feel the Dexa is the gold standard but James Krieger has written up each method and they all can have their issues. Most will give you a good "ballpark" but none should be takes as dead accurate.

For me, when I get tested, I am as much interested in muscle mass change as BF change and calipers won't really give you that. Some of the more technological methods do.
  • dancefit2015
    Options
    The trainer that did mine seemed pretty experienced. She tested each point 2-3 times and took the average.
    mmapags wrote: »

All BF Tests are inaccurate but the 7 point caliper is just about as good as any other IMHO. Many feel the Dexa is the gold standard but James Krieger has written up each method and they all can have their issues. Most will give you a good "ballpark" but none should be takes as dead accurate.

For me, when I get tested, I am as much interested in muscle mass change as BF change and calipers won't really give you that. Some of the more technological methods do.

Thanks, what methods would that be?
    When I look at the built lean photo charts I feel like I am in-between the 30 - 35 % pictures, could it range that far? I'm probably just over thinking it all. I'd just like a good idea of my LBM.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    The trainer that did mine seemed pretty experienced. She tested each point 2-3 times and took the average.
    mmapags wrote: »

Thanks, what methods would that be?
    When I look at the built lean photo charts I feel like I am in-between the 30 - 35 % pictures, could it range that far? I'm probably just over thinking it all. I'd just like a good idea of my LBM.

Obviously haven't seen any photos of you, but I doubt it would be that far out, and suspect that, like many of us, you're not very objective about yourself. I have a hard time judging myself in comparison to those photos too, that's why I get others to do it for me ;)

I guess I should do another lot of progress pics since I'm at goal, so I have a baseline for recomp/gaintenance.
  • dancefit2015
    Options
    Thanks @Nony_Mouse You're probably right. I have a tendency of seeing myself as bigger than I am, I think I'll take some pics too and try to compare more objectively.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 - sounds like arthritis in her lower spine to me, which is where Mario's started. Given its winter, try to keep her warm if you can. A heating pad would be awesome for her if you can stretch to it. When you are able to see the vet, shouldn't need x-rays, at least not initially, push for glucosamine injections (course of weekly shots over a month, then boosters every two-three months) over metacam (NSAID, which just manages pain, and long-term use can do a number on the kidneys, says the girl who now has a cat with possible early-stage kidney problems). Also have a look at your local vet clinic or pet store for over the counter supplements or treats with glucosamine or anything with Green-lipped mussel in it, it won't hurt her if arthritis isn't the issue, but may help a bit in the meantime until she can be seen.

Thanks! I actually think I bought some glucosamine chewables 2 months ago, intending them for my oldest who is 15. He's slowed down some, and I thought they would be good for him just considering his age. But he refused to eat them. Lizzie, on the other hand, tends to be a vacuum cleaner, so I might have a better shot at getting them into her.

Now I just have to figure out what I did with them; they're probably packed away somewhere in that pile of stuff of mine in my dad's garage lol