Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Squee!!!!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Nugget is apt for his name! Totally worthy of being prince pupper. The outfits always get me lol, they're really well done.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Anyone have any experience with prednisone? It's possible I'm at oral steroids stage for eczema treatment :\
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with prednisone? It's possible I'm at oral steroids stage for eczema treatment :\

I've only been on it for very short courses for my migraines Nony. Like 3 days. Not enough to get negative effects.

My sister has been on it longer and didn't really like much what happened with it. She got moon face and increased appetite.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I've only been on it for very short courses for my migraines Nony. Like 3 days. Not enough to get negative effects.

My sister has been on it longer and didn't really like much what happened with it. She got moon face and increased appetite.

Yeah I know of someone on them currently (Youtuber
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I know several people who are on steroids for things like lupus and Addison's. I think it depends on how you react and lifestyle. The lady I know who didn't really watch what she ate and never exercised gained a ton of weight. The lady who is pretty conscious about food and is very active didn't. Hopefully it will help. My dad has pretty bad ezcema, and has done so much to try to figure it out: allergy testing, medicine, constantly changing soaps, etc.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Oh look at that, didn't post the whole thing from my mobile. Didn't use an emoji either. Sigh.

Anyway, moonface and appetite said Youtuber is experiencing.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I've done prednisone for asthma flare ups from time to time. Not bad. Kind of disturbs sleep a little. Some folks have excessive hunger. Had that once but not the other times. For some people, it causes lethargy. I had a little of that but just kept moving and didn't focus on it. PM me with questions if it will help.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

I was on it for about two months, but, like, 13 years ago.

Appetite was up somewhat, but I was *largely* able to keep it under control. I didn't notice any significant weight changes, but that was also at the point where I didn't have a scale in my house. (The therapist I was seeing at the time didn't forbid it, but had some pretty strong opinions about it.)
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I've done prednisone for asthma flare ups from time to time. Not bad. Kind of disturbs sleep a little. Some folks have excessive hunger. Had that once but not the other times. For some people, it causes lethargy. I had a little of that but just kept moving and didn't focus on it. PM me with questions if it will help.

I was on/off prednisone most of my teen years due to asthma. Relatively rare within the past 15 years, usually due to an upper respiratory infection that triggers my asthma.

I've heard about sleeplessness, irritability and moodiness when on it but that's not what I experience. Appetite goes up, retain water and I feel like superman or at least like I'm a teenager again with loads of energy and the aches and pains go away (due to inflammation suppression).

Nowadays most Drs. prescribe a short run of them, like 7 days. Back when I was a kid the protocol was 30 days at a much higher level, then a slow taper down. The shorter ones don't impact most people as much as the longer ones did.

• anubis609
    Options
    Thanks guys. It would only be a short course, like 7-10 days.

And at this stage increased appetite wouldn't be a bad thing, because I've lost 700g/1.5lb in four days. Eating at maintenance. Not low carb (mentioning to point out it's not water weight, at least not from that). So yeah, safe to say rash generation requires a crapton of calories. I have no idea how to deal with that intake-wise, because I have no idea how long I will stay in active generation phase. I guess I just eat more and worry about it if and when the scale goes up a couple of times in a row?

Indeed. The body doesn't distinguish between injury/illness, but any deleterious effect demanding repair (as seen by inflammation, histamine/lymphocyte response, etc will require more energy, so it makes sense. Bump up protein if anything. At least it would mitigate protein loss.
  • anubis609
    Options
    I hear you. I usually don't log to bypass the ED bump in kcal .. seems I'm tied to numbers lol. Dysmorphia's a *kitten* and a half.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    I hear you. I usually don't log to bypass the ED bump in kcal .. seems I'm tied to numbers lol. Dysmorphia's a *kitten* and a half.

I'm not sure I can do that. I'd rather know I'm not going *that* far over.

In other news, doctor is giving me pred without even seeing me (I'd put in a repeat request for some more topicals that I'm almost out of, she emailed and said come in if it doesn't settle and we'll look at orals, I replied that I already have an appointment booked for next week and I think we're at that stage, she replied and said she'll add pred to the script for me to pick up today).
  • anubis609
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »

I'm not sure I can do that. I'd rather know I'm not going *that* far over.

In other news, doctor is giving me pred without even seeing me (I'd put in a repeat request for some more topicals that I'm almost out of, she emailed and said come in if it doesn't settle and we'll look at orals, I replied that I already have an appointment booked for next week and I think we're at that stage, she replied and said she'll add pred to the script for me to pick up today).

I generally like it when my doctor just complies with my request. She assumes I've done enough research, ha.

In terms of not logging, I generally don't even go that far beyond. It's more psychological for me to allow for actual maintenance on days I need it and eventually incorporate periods of flexibility without needing to know the numbers, and just based on relying on satiety signaling without being "stuffed."