Of refeeds and diet breaks

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Okay pals, how much do you reckon I should overshoot by?
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I hear you. I usually don't log to bypass the ED bump in kcal .. seems I'm tied to numbers lol. Dysmorphia's a *kitten* and a half.

I'm not sure I can do that. I'd rather know I'm not going *that* far over.

In other news, doctor is giving me pred without even seeing me (I'd put in a repeat request for some more topicals that I'm almost out of, she emailed and said come in if it doesn't settle and we'll look at orals, I replied that I already have an appointment booked for next week and I think we're at that stage, she replied and said she'll add pred to the script for me to pick up today).

I generally like it when my doctor just complies with my request. She assumes I've done enough research, ha.

In terms of not logging, I generally don't even go that far beyond. It's more psychological for me to allow for actual maintenance on days I need it and eventually incorporate periods of flexibility without needing to know the numbers, and just based on relying on satiety signaling without being "stuffed."

The dumb thing is, I usually don't log when I'm in maintenance anyway. Don't know why I'm being so damn paranoid.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    edited November 2017
    If you lost an extra 1.5 lbs over the past four days, that's a rate of an extra 0.375 as a multiplier, if you want to math it out to a daily number to aim for.

At the rate you're going, it's 2.625lb/week, which is a weekly deficit of 9187.5kcal, or an extra loss of 1312kcal per day.

Optionally, you could incorporate the multiplier to your current calculated maintenance and add that result to your current intake.. which even at 2000kcal hypothetical maintenance is an additional 750kcal per day..

How hungry are you? Lol.

For sanity's sake, if you're actually trying to halt the loss, have the mid-week refeed.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    If you lost an extra 1.5 lbs over the past four days, that's a rate of an extra 0.375 as a multiplier, if you want to math it out to a daily number to aim for.

At the rate you're going, it's 2.625lb/week, which is a weekly deficit of 9187.5kcal, or an extra loss of 1312kcal per day.

Optionally, you could incorporate the multiplier to your current calculated maintenance and add that result to your current intake.. which even at 2000kcal hypothetical maintenance is an additional 750kcal per day..

How hungry are you? Lol.

I have nothing useful to say, except that I love this level of math.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

How hungry are you? Lol.

I have nothing useful to say, except that I love this level of math.

Me too, even though i may as well be reading Arabic :tongue:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,554 Member
    edited November 2017
    Err. Hikes Nony. Not everyday is hikes. And rash.

That said... bump it up a bit. I remember someone making an either/or choice a few days ago and me arguing for BOTH ;-)

If you've been eating to Fitbit maintenance... bump up by 10% of daily TDEE or 250 (or 350 if you're daring) and continue to monitor...
  • Nony_Mouse

How hungry are you? Lol.

For sanity's sake, if you're actually trying to halt the loss, have the mid-week refeed.

Well, some of it may be residual fat loss from last week's hypothetical late phase luteal deficit. Who the hell knows?!! I could just roll with it and be at goal by the end of the week :tongue: . There's also the possibility that some of it is water weight, though I don't feel dehydrated (and I am super sensitive to dehydration). But even if only half of it is eczema-generated, that's still a fair whack.

Energy level is not awesome today, but better than yesterday, so I am going to try to get through strength training, but that won't put me far above sedentary (which at my size is piss all in terms of cals).

Oh, and pred is catabolic. It's gonna eat ma muscles!! Though, probably not in ten days, but good incentive to up protein even more and train.
  • Nony_Mouse
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Err. Hikes Nony. Not everyday is hikes. And rash.

That said... bump it up a bit. I remember someone making an either/or choice a few days ago and me arguing for BOTH ;-)

If you've been eating to Fitbit maintenance... bump up by 10% of daily TDEE or 250 (or 350 if you're daring) and continue to monitor...

Yes, but I have never had a mass drop like this from hiking...I really don't think my TDEE was out for that (or not by much). And really, it was more of a long walk, nothing technical about it, because old forestry roads, barely even a hill really...(600m elevation gain over entire walk).
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member

How hungry are you? Lol.

Well, some of it may be residual fat loss from last week's hypothetical late phase luteal deficit. Who the hell knows?!! I could just roll with it and be at goal by the end of the week :tongue: . There's also the possibility that some of it is water weight, though I don't feel dehydrated (and I am super sensitive to dehydration). But even if only half of it is eczema-generated, that's still a fair whack.

Energy level is not awesome today, but better than yesterday, so I am going to try to get through strength training, but that won't put me far above sedentary (which at my size is piss all in terms of cals).

Oh, and pred is catabolic. It's gonna eat ma muscles!! Though, probably not in ten days, but good incentive to up protein even more and train.

Yeah a short stint on pred is fine :wink: Overall, let's call the loss a residual catch-up from the past week + rash flare-up + water loss/fluid redistribution and excretion. Personally, I'd just bump up my protein to 1.5-2g/lb/lbm lol. That's my usual lever for recovery needs.
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited November 2017

How hungry are you? Lol.

Yeah a short stint on pred is fine :wink: Overall, let's call the loss a residual catch-up from the past week + rash flare-up + water loss/fluid redistribution and excretion. Personally, I'd just bump up my protein to 1.5-2g/lb/lbm lol. That's my usual lever for recovery needs.

Um, wanna take a guess at my lean body mass for me?? :tongue: I'd guess me at around 25% BF

(legit if you want to, I can send you the link to my progress pics)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Oh, and I did actually eat 200g of protein on Monday, which would be the 2g if I'm 25% BF.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,554 Member
    It might make you fidgety!!! :cold_sweat:
  • collectingblues
    Well speaking of refeeds and monthly cycles, mine is here four days early. I'd been pretty regular after giving birth - got cycle back at four months postpartum and maintained a 28 day cycle for the first time in my life without hormonal birth control. Now it's day 24 and sigh, it's here. I hardly had any time to get my hopes up of being knocked up.

Again with more ramblings you did not ask for - I've got refeed grass is greener syndrome. Totally a real thing I didn't just make up. Leading up to the diet break, I couldn't wait to eat at maintenance and have all these delicious additional calories. Now that I'm eating at maintenance, I can't wait to get back to my deficit. I miss the "high" of seeing the scale drop each week (usually). I'm sure once I have that, I'll miss maintenance.

Eczema. I'm totally marketing this as the best diet evah. PM for deets :tongue:

You know, now that I think of it, that could be the other reason why even at doctors' appointments, there was never much weight change with the pred. I was on it for chronic hives that lasted for five months... So it it was similar to your eczema effect, that would make a lot of sense.
  • Nony_Mouse

Well, yeah, and trying not to scratch this is a challenge...
    kmjhfkmaa2kj.jpg

But hey, if you can put up with it, you get to eat at estimated TDEE and lose weight!
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Oh man, Nony, that's just wrong. I wish I could lend you some extra skin to replace it (God knows I have enough to donate). So sorry you have to live with that.
  • Nony_Mouse
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    Oh man, Nony, that's just wrong. I wish I could lend you some extra skin to replace it (God knows I have enough to donate). So sorry you have to live with that.

Thank you :) My psycho immune system would just make a mess of that skin too though unfortunately!
  • collectingblues

Well, yeah, and trying not to scratch this is a challenge...
    kmjhfkmaa2kj.jpg

But hey, if you can put up with it, you get to eat at estimated TDEE and lose weight!

I'm so sorry. That looks miserable.
  • eponine1984
    eponine1984 Posts: 220 Member
    Gosh, Nony, that looks terrible! I have zero experience with steroids and all I know about eczema is some babies get it, usually clears up by two years old, and some moms put breast milk on it.
  • Nony_Mouse
    I'm such a sick puppy that I'm kind of impressed that my body can do that :tongue: I could do without the itching and pain though.

And yes, most common in babies and toddlers, most people outgrow it. Other than the occasional stress-related flare, I pretty much had outgrown it, until perimenopause. Kicked up summer of 2016 (January), was not too bad winter of last year, came back with a vengeance last December, was able to identify some food triggers (things that I had been fine with previously) and eliminating those helped, but it's definitely got a large seasonal component to it. And getting worse each year.