Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Great chart, maybyn! I have a bit of hobbit in me myself -- “ Hobbits delighted in such things, if they were accurate; they liked to have books filled with things that they already knew, set out fair and square with no contradictions.” I'm working on tabulating data from my past two weeks as well, and while I don't expect there to be no contradictions, I do hope to grok the process a bit more.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    <cringing whimpering> <please fix it!>

Would you like me to stop with the graphic descriptions @PAV8888?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    What's a little bit of red weeping oozing cracked skin between friends?
    <sets dinner aside>
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I feel like I've seen this before somewhere but can you experience DOMS more from being in a calorie deficit? I know protein plays a big role too but I'm just wondering if it's still an issue with enough protein even while in a cal deficit? My mom, friend, and I will do the same workouts and I will be the only one that can hardly walk for days later. I think they are probably getting more protein & calories than me.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    What's a little bit of red weeping oozing cracked skin between friends?
    <sets dinner aside>

I promise if it comes to that I will not post pics, even in spoiler tags :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I feel like I've seen this before somewhere but can you experience DOMS more from being in a calorie deficit? I know protein plays a big role too but I'm just wondering if it's still an issue with enough protein even while in a cal deficit? My mom, friend, and I will do the same workouts and I will be the only one that can hardly walk for days later. I think they are probably getting more protein & calories than me.

@anubis609 is probably better placed to answer this than me, but protein is important for muscle recovery. I will also say that if it is that bad, you are overdoing it. Mild DOMS, fine, DOMS so bad you can hardly walk, cut back. You are not doing your body any favours with that.
  • dancefit2015
    Options
    I might have been slightly exaggerating, I can walk, it's just awkward and people have asked if I'm okay lol
    I don't feel like I am doing that much, at least compared to the amount of soreness I am feeling. I'm still working on protein.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I might have been slightly exaggerating, I can walk, it's just awkward and people have asked if I'm okay lol
    I don't feel like I am doing that much, at least compared to the amount of soreness I am feeling. I'm still working on protein.

If you're feeling it still days later, bad.

How much protein do you currently get?

Also, try some magnesium supplements. And epsom salt bath if you have a tub.

What are you doing, and did you just dive in at that level, or have you built up progressively?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Are you doing any foam rolling?

What are you *actually* doing for workouts? Sometimes we're not always the best judge of activity, and what seems like nothing, may actually be a lot.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    And stretching. No one ever stretches enough (well, I do :tongue: ). It is so, so important. I only have to get out the dreaded foam roller if I've slacked on yoga (which is my stretching).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Regardless of how much I eat, I don't get DOMS. My husband gets DOMS regardless of how much he eats...

Could you have actually injured yourself?
  • dancefit2015
    Options
    I have always been very active, but I took several months off of weight lifting, mostly because I was lazy, but also had tendinitis in my ankle.

In August, I had already built up to a decent amount of running and then got back into weight lifting. First I did workouts programed by my mom, with her to coach me (she used to couch and makes great workouts) and then I started doing crossfit once or twice a week. I really eased into this time and got rid of the competitive mindset I used to have. The past month or two I started feeling the pain from my ankle more during and after runs so I backed off of running, but stayed consistent with strength training twice a week, either both times at crossfit or once with my mom. Doesn't seem to affect my ankle or hips. This past workout was something that's easy for me, deadlifts and wall-balls. I only used 6lbs for wall-balls so practically air squats and felt fine during the workout, but the next day I was super sore in my thighs

Sorry that ended up being so long...

I got in 76g protein today which is really good for me. Typically around 50... But I am slowly increasing this the best I can.
  • dancefit2015
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I'm slightly confused as to how this is refeed or diet break related - perhaps worth its own thread in the fitness section?
  • dancefit2015
    Options
    Oh I forgot to add... I do stretch but I should probably change up my stretching routine... I have used the same routine forever, except the few times I do yoga, which is less and less lately. I do foam roll if I feel the need, I might do that tonight
  • dancefit2015
    Options

I'm slightly confused as to how this is refeed or diet break related - perhaps worth its own thread in the fitness section?

Well this thread has kind of been a mash up but I can do that
  • dancefit2015
    Options
    Only reason I posted it here is because it seems like a lot of the more knowledgeable MFPers hang out here
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I have always been very active, but I took several months off of weight lifting, mostly because I was lazy, but also had tendinitis in my ankle.

In August, I had already built up to a decent amount of running and then got back into weight lifting. First I did workouts programed by my mom, with her to coach me (she used to couch and makes great workouts) and then I started doing crossfit once or twice a week. I really eased into this time and got rid of the competitive mindset I used to have. The past month or two I started feeling the pain from my ankle more during and after runs so I backed off of running, but stayed consistent with strength training twice a week, either both times at crossfit or once with my mom. Doesn't seem to affect my ankle or hips. This past workout was something that's easy for me, deadlifts and wall-balls. I only used 6lbs for wall-balls so practically air squats and felt fine during the workout, but the next day I was super sore in my thighs

Sorry that ended up being so long...

I got in 76g protein today which is really good for me. Typically around 50... But I am slowly increasing this the best I can.

Yeesh girl, I was at 113g of protein by mid afternoon! Moor protein!! Protein shakes are your friend here - low cal (I'm always perplexed when people say they're high cal, mine made with water ( :s ) is under 100 cal for 20g of protein, with milk it's around 200 cal, and the milk I use bumps the protein to 34g.

I wouldn't think squats with a 6lb ball should cause DOMS, but I guess it depends how many you did!