Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

This decades “health woo”

Options

Replies

• 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    ACV...
    Don't think that one's gonna die for a while

what is ACV and HAAS?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    That any single food is to blame for obesity.

The insulin fairy (it's bad science, people).

That sugar is evil.

GMO fear mongering

Keto

Any diet cultism

Paleo

Bullet proof coffee

Definitely the "insulin fairy" as the overarching one of the decade. I see the "sugar is the debil", Keto and Paleo as all subsets of that. Sadly, most of those that bark up the insulin tree don't even really understand what insulin does physiologically and think it stores fat magically. In the end, if you don't have excess energy to store (energy balance), you are going to make fat.

Once someone is Insulin Resistant you have a whole other ball game but insulin wasn't the problem to begin with in most cases. It was the unrestrained overeating and obesity that was caused by that. With a small % of folks with a genetic component, IR doesn't happen to people at a normal body weight/ BMI.

It does, just not as often as among heavy people.

It happened to me. I gained weight after I became prediabetic. One of my dad's 3 siblings had IR. There is no one else in my family with it. TBH, celiac disease and hypothyroidism is way more common in my family.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    sugar in itself is OK in small quantities is OK so those saying avoid it at all costs are woo

what is not woo is the clear link between the massive increase in the consumption of sugar, in the Standard Western/ American diet, over the last 60 years and the exponential rise in metabolic diseases

the graphs are virtually identical in their shape

That's very interesting. You know what other graphs are virtually identical in their shape?

Per capita consumption of beef vs. death by lightning strikes:
    n0ydbmoxg3cc.png

The number of people who died falling out of their wheelchairs vs. the price of a bag of potato chips:
    wmhft3rnndz3.png

Per capita consumption of cheese vs. total revenue generated by golf courses:
    j182wutckn3q.png

See, because those are the kinds of things you can "discover" by manipulating statistics and confusing correlation with causation.

What about the pirates one? Do you have it?