Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

This decades “health woo”

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    That any single food is to blame for obesity.

The insulin fairy (it's bad science, people).

That sugar is evil.

GMO fear mongering

Keto

Any diet cultism

Paleo

Bullet proof coffee

Definitely the "insulin fairy" as the overarching one of the decade. I see the "sugar is the debil", Keto and Paleo as all subsets of that. Sadly, most of those that bark up the insulin tree don't even really understand what insulin does physiologically and think it stores fat magically. In the end, if you don't have excess energy to store (energy balance), you are going to make fat.

Once someone is Insulin Resistant you have a whole other ball game but insulin wasn't the problem to begin with in most cases. It was the unrestrained overeating and obesity that was caused by that. With a small % of folks with a genetic component, IR doesn't happen to people at a normal body weight/ BMI.

It does, just not as often as among heavy people.

It happened to me. I gained weight after I became prediabetic. One of my dad's 3 siblings had IR. There is no one else in my family with it. TBH, celiac disease and hypothyroidism is way more common in my family.

Yes, as I said, but not clearly because I left out a key word, it does in people with a genetic component but it is a small % of the overall number. Obesity is either the leading factor or the 2nd leading factor of Insulin Resistance. I understand you fit the exception.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Definitely the pushing of massive quantities of vegetables.

The amount of woos on this post in a matter of minutes proves my point I think. I'm going to be the winner on this one - all of the best fads are the ones everyone buys into.

Sure the gullible will go for things like ACV or cleanses but everyone else knows they're woo. And even as popular as keto and cutting out sugar are right now the majority definitely think it's BS. So much so dieticians have no qualms recommending snack size cans of soda, users create sock puppets to proselytize against keto and most feel comfortable advising others to ignore low carb and low sugar recommendations.

But vegetables? Everyone knows that more is better! Filling up your toilet bowl multiple times a day is a virtue and any discomfort/beano is just the price you pay for being healthy.

You know there are numerous research reviews and longitudinal studies that back up the push to eat 10 servings of veggies a day.

It's not just something random people decided to do in order to feel virtuous.

Your assertions about veggie lovers bowel habits are just weird. And unfounded.

Yup. There's a study for that is one of the halmarks of good dietary woo. I was joking about the toilet - mostly (bathroom changes/issues are not an unusual topic).

The British government didn't change their recommendations based on a single study.
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Increased rates of obesity are directly linked to:
    Sugar
    Carbs
    Eating meat
    GMOs
    Air pollution
    Soil depletion
    Drugs in the water supply
    Alien implants
    The government

I'm not sure that the alien implants idea should be dismissed. Sounds very plausible. :p
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    marelthu wrote: »
    Sugar
    Carbs
    Eating meat
    GMOs
    Air pollution
    Soil depletion
    Alien implants
    The government

I'm not sure that the alien implants idea should be dismissed. Sounds very plausible. :p

PSA DO NOT forget your tinfoil hat when venturing outdoors.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    marelthu wrote: »
    Sugar
    Carbs
    Eating meat
    GMOs
    Air pollution
    Soil depletion
    Alien implants
    The government

PSA DO NOT forget your tinfoil hat when venturing outdoors.

Or to the doctor it seems......
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Do you also consider diabetes T2 a fad disease ?
    All the cool people are doing it..