Diet Sodas?

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Calories-wise no, but watch out for diet sodas using aspartame. https://nutritionfacts.org/2016/09/01/side-effects-of-aspartame-on-the-brain/

Ugh. and round and round we go. Not even going to bother at this point.

You did a good job, get some rest my man.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    "If she avoids diet soda because she believes she is getting a significant amount of sodium from it"

I am glad you don't harp on it since I don't think I used the word "significant". I simply said it is a concern for me. Keeping what I said in context is helpful.

Diet Coke is roughly 70g, depending on which one of the MFP options you use in your food tracking process. If I drink x10, that's 700... I did mention I did drink ALOT. The term ALOT is subjective...that may mean only 2 for you or 20 to someone else. I limit myself because ALOT can add up...and some of us tend to have more issues with fluid retention than others.

diet coke actually has 40mg of sodium (certainly not 70g)...so even at 10 cans per day you would still only be at 10-20% of your daily sodium - and that is A LOT of diet coke in a day
  • hughjazz74
    hughjazz74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to read an entire thread before posting any type of comment? Who has time for that...haha - MFP has gotten so serious since it started years ago. :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Who is old enough to remember of actually drank TAB??? The introduction of modern diet drinks was a God send!

You can get Tab now. I have a co-worker who requests it, so we often have it at my office.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    "TaB? I can't give you a tab unless you order something!"

LOL...May need to be of a "mature" age to appreciate this never the less have had it a part of your pallet- Tab (TaB) was introduced by Coca-Cola in 1963. The soda was popular throughout the 1960s and 1970s, and several variations were made, including Tab Clear as well as caffeine-free versions.

It's a quotation from Back to the Future, I believe.

(A movie I am old enough to have seen for the first time in the theater.)
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    @Aaron_K123

I had a friend who recently went to some clinic to get tested for "inflammatory triggers" or something. They came back saying she's allergic to pretty much everything from meats to fruits and vegetables - and of course, grains. So she points to her mid-section (and she is close to 300 lbs) and says "all this? isn't fat, it's inflammation in my gut." So now she is blaming all foods, processed or otherwise, for her size. Prior to that, her blame was directed more to sweeteners, and carbs.

Inflammation is the new toxins.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    People hear how you should drink more water (because most people don't get enough) and how you should avoid sodium in your diet (because most people get far to much) and they assume the more water they drink and the less sodium they take in the better. That isn't true, it is a balance.

I don't think Americans understand balance at all. There's a grand assumption that more is better.

I grand cousin, several times removed, who was a famous singer during WW 1. In her autobiography (Never Sing Louder than Lovely) she lamented that American singers tried to outdo themselves by singing louder and higher. Louder and higher is not necessarily better.

I see this with new diabetics too. They ask how to eat, as in, "what to cut". When it really isn't about good and evil foods but enjoying them all in balance.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda...at points in my life ALOT of it. The sodium worries me more than anything else (I do track it)...I personally experience more water retention, hand and feet swelling, the greater my daily intake. The discomfort of that is enough to restrict my intake. Not everyone has that issue but it is mine.

You might want to look at the sodium in the other foods.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda...at points in my life ALOT of it. The sodium worries me more than anything else (I do track it)...I personally experience more water retention, hand and feet swelling, the greater my daily intake. The discomfort of that is enough to restrict my intake. Not everyone has that issue but it is mine.

You might want to look at the sodium in the other foods.

Not to mention that when you drink soda you are not just getting sodium, you are also getting an amount of water which more than offsets the sodium content.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    @Aaron_K123

I had a friend who recently went to some clinic to get tested for "inflammatory triggers" or something. They came back saying she's allergic to pretty much everything from meats to fruits and vegetables - and of course, grains. So she points to her mid-section (and she is close to 300 lbs) and says "all this? isn't fat, it's inflammation in my gut." So now she is blaming all foods, processed or otherwise, for her size. Prior to that, her blame was directed more to sweeteners, and carbs.

That and the microbiome. The tried and true of "causes cancer" and "is toxic" and "causes brain damage" wax and wane with the seasons. The latest fads seem to be the inflammation thing and the "changes to your microbiome" thing. I'm glad at least claiming things cause autism is somewhat out of fashion right now.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2017
    Options
    "If she avoids diet soda because she believes she is getting a significant amount of sodium from it"

I am glad you don't harp on it since I don't think I used the word "significant". I simply said it is a concern for me. Keeping what I said in context is helpful.

Diet Coke is roughly 70g, depending on which one of the MFP options you use in your food tracking process. If I drink x10, that's 700... I did mention I did drink ALOT. The term ALOT is subjective...that may mean only 2 for you or 20 to someone else. I limit myself because ALOT can add up...and some of us tend to have more issues with fluid retention than others.

diet coke actually has 40mg of sodium (certainly not 70g)...so even at 10 cans per day you would still only be at 10-20% of your daily sodium - and that is A LOT of diet coke in a day

I think its safe to assume she meant miligrams (mg) not grams (g). 40mg is the amount in a 12oz can, 70mg is the amount in a 20oz bottle. I think its safe to assume she is referring to that amount because her beverage of choice was the 20oz diet coke bottle. In that case it is accurate. If I am wrong and she really believes there are 70 grams of sodium in one diet coke then yeah I can understand why she would be avoiding it then hah.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    @Aaron_K123

That and the microbiome. The tried and true of "causes cancer" and "is toxic" and "causes brain damage" wax and wane with the seasons. The latest fads seem to be the inflammation thing and the "changes to your microbiome" thing. I'm glad at least claiming things cause autism is somewhat out of fashion right now.

Oh I am continually told to take probiotics and my microbiome is what causing my crohn's. Most of the microbiome is in the colon and um I had a total proctocolectomy so no colon. Probiotics are possibly linked to SIBO in the colonless so no thank you.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

(A movie I am old enough to have seen for the first time in the theater.)

Same!

(edit: meh, I really messed this quote up lol)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You are right im relating the two. My other post was saying sugars, i include them together Sugars/Sweetners) shouldn't but i do. Neither one are probably at all related sugar, aspartame and my personal fat loss but because it happened its kept me continuing what i'm doing. Just an interesting read below:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

How many people have you seen walking around with a double bacon cheeseburger and the largest french fry available...but it's all good because they're drinking a diet soda? I've seen lots...

I hear this all the time, and I know everyone rolls their eyes at me for doing this, but if my calorie limit just barely allows my most-favoritest Whataburger lunch every so often (and as it is, I'm sacrificing the mayo for cheese and skipping breakfast), no way am I going to waste any of those calories on full-sugar soda when the diet version still brings me joy (JOY, I tell you!), and I don't know why this particular meal-ordering phenomenon is so vexing to people.

If someone could come up with a zero-calorie bacon cheeseburger, I'd order that, too.

Yeah, but gen pop isn't calorie counting...people who are actually calorie counting are a pretty large minority. Most of those people eating the double bacon cheeseburger and extra large fry with their diet soda have zero clue as to whether they're "fitting it in."

It's not vexing to me...I just had one the other day from Blake's...but I am calorie aware...most people aren't
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You are right im relating the two. My other post was saying sugars, i include them together Sugars/Sweetners) shouldn't but i do. Neither one are probably at all related sugar, aspartame and my personal fat loss but because it happened its kept me continuing what i'm doing. Just an interesting read below:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

How many people have you seen walking around with a double bacon cheeseburger and the largest french fry available...but it's all good because they're drinking a diet soda? I've seen lots...

To be fair, it depends on the situation really. I can fit a cheeseburger and fries into my daily goals pretty easily, but a normal coke would destroy it. Id rather have the extra 200ish calories for other food and not drink my calories away.

On the other hand if they are using the diet coke as justification to add more food without consideration to calories/nutrition, its pretty reckless and silly.

How much of the general population is calorie aware and knows whether they're fitting it in or not?