November 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    I think I will keep my goal at 70. I didn't hit it in October -- due to lots of biking and lifting. But I'm going away the first weekend in November to watch daughter and @osubuckeye906 in the NYC marathon, so I won't get to bike and I will run. So maybe I'll hit it this month!

Thanks @Stoshew71 !

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    0/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    11/11 = New Braunfels Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    So I have had this Garmin 935 for 6 days now. It arrived with 82% charge. I have used it on 4 runs (all around 90 mins give or take) with GPS+HR tracking on. I only plugged it in very briefly to update its software. I have even been using the sleep tracking just to see what it is (though I still do not see the point.)

This morning battery is at 26%. I can see this being a problem for me. With the AppleWatch I put it on the charger ever night (it could go 2 days on one charge with my normal use) That was easy to remember. With the Garmin needing at most weekly charging, I can easily see how I will forget and end up with the watch at 5% or something when I am ready to go run.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    So I have had this Garmin 935 for 6 days now. It arrived with 82% charge. I have used it on 4 runs (all around 90 mins give or take) with GPS+HR tracking on. I only plugged it in very briefly to update its software. I have even been using the sleep tracking just to see what it is (though I still do not see the point.)

This morning battery is at 26%. I can see this being a problem for me. With the AppleWatch I put it on the charger ever night (it could go 2 days on one charge with my normal use) That was easy to remember. With the Garmin needing at most weekly charging, I can easily see how I will forget and end up with the watch at 5% or something when I am ready to go run.

@PastorVincent - I wear my Garmin 630 to bed to get the sleep tracking. I charge it when I'm in the shower, and that's usually enough. If I run long enough to drain it more than usual, I may also charge it while I'm eating lunch. I may not need to charge it every day, but making it a habit to put it on the charger when I'm in the shower has worked out okay.
  • PastorVincent
    MobyCarp wrote: »

@PastorVincent - I wear my Garmin 630 to bed to get the sleep tracking. I charge it when I'm in the shower, and that's usually enough. If I run long enough to drain it more than usual, I may also charge it while I'm eating lunch. I may not need to charge it every day, but making it a habit to put it on the charger when I'm in the shower has worked out okay.

So after posting that I plugged it into the charger. Was surprised how fast it charges. I did not look at the clock, but it could not have been much more than an hour to get to full charge.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member

So after posting that I plugged it into the charger. Was surprised how fast it charges. I did not look at the clock, but it could not have been much more than an hour to get to full charge.

it charges fast. So, new thing for you to figure out, since my brain isn't in it. Figure out a way for me to charge on the go at my April race.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    November goal of 130 with a stretch of 150

Other activities this month:
    - Ramping and then quickly tapering into the last 4 weeks of my HM training for my 2nd HM taking place in the Chicago area the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
    - Read earlier in the October thread about the holiday "Streaking Challenge" that starts the day of Thanksgiving and runs through New Years Day (total of 40 days) where you run everyday for a minimum of a mile. Basically run a minimum of 4 days, normally 5 every week as it stands currently and with no set races or spring training that will not begin until January if I decide to run a full, I figure this will be something different to try and also allow me to minimize any weight gain from having an extra slice of turkey to the various calorie rich treats and drinks during Dec. If you care to join/follow: FAQ here https://www.runnersworld.com/rwrunstreak/rw-running-streak-faqs and follow me along on Strava @ https://www.strava.com/athletes/22401471
  • PastorVincent
    @kevaasen - THat is a cruel picture with those runners on that link running in nice warm weather. It will be NOTHING like that here in Pittsburgh. :lol:
  • PastorVincent

it charges fast. So, new thing for you to figure out, since my brain isn't in it. Figure out a way for me to charge on the go at my April race.

There really is no way, unless you are willing to take it off. At each AS you could take it off and plug into an external battery and hang out for like 10 mins. Pending on how many stations and all that, might be enough. Otherwise, you could take it off on an easy leg and let it charge in your pocket the same way.

Or try its "Ultratrack" mode where it uses much less power and the claim is maybe as much as 60 hours of life. Essentially it records far less data and cuts way back on the GPS usage.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2017
    @MNLittleFinn the 935 (as far as I understand) charges during activities, so you could use an external battery pack. My daughter has a super small one that's tubular. I bet it's fit easily in you pocket or pack.

ETA here is like this..
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-portable-charger-purple/4212602.p?skuId=4212602&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=b5077eb4-9b4f-4542-9532-eeaf09cf9fdb&ksprof_id=3&ksaffcode=pg265372&ksdevice=m&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvuDPBRDnARIsAGhuAmaUZZnow_0ZY7N3c_cu-UlNwtzGhDED4Vu-m0ES55FWsZgCn5VeTFIaAu3kEALw_wcB
    you could hold it while your watch charged to keep a cord from flopping around.

I hate when links are forever long. If I could only hyperlink from Android mobile... Or attach photos from the app.
  • PastorVincent
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn the 935 (as far as I understand) charges during activities, so you could use an external battery pack. My daughter has a super small one that's tubular. I bet it's fit easily in you pocket or pack.

ETA here is like this..
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-portable-charger-purple/4212602.p?skuId=4212602&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=b5077eb4-9b4f-4542-9532-eeaf09cf9fdb&ksprof_id=3&ksaffcode=pg265372&ksdevice=m&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvuDPBRDnARIsAGhuAmaUZZnow_0ZY7N3c_cu-UlNwtzGhDED4Vu-m0ES55FWsZgCn5VeTFIaAu3kEALw_wcB

I hate when links are forever long. If I could only hyperlink from Android mobile... Or attach photos from the app.

@Elise4270 - Yes I said that, but the problem is you have to take the watch off to get to the charging port :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2017

ETA here is like this..

@Elise4270 - Yes I said that, but the problem is you have to take the watch off to get to the charging port :)

Oh that sucks. Guess the whole thing can go in a pocket/belt and still capture GPS but not anything else?

ETA. My 620 would still be wearable.
  • PastorVincent

ETA here is like this..

Oh that sucks. Guess the whole thing can go in a pocket/belt and still capture GPS but not anything else?

In theroy :)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,481 Member
    edited October 2017

I don't see that as a big problem. If you're in a race which requires a recharge on the run, it's probably long enough that you really don't need to look at your GPS all the time. Remove the GPS, plug it into an external battery pack, put it in one of the many pockets your hydration vest. It will still be easy enough to pull out if you have to see something on it.

If you can afford 10 minutes at *each* station to charge, without making any progress (other than resting), why couldn't you afford to take it off for an hour and fully recharge on the go (making progress)? I think I may be missing something here? I'm also not getting how the leg difficulty makes a difference ("take it off on an easy leg")

@MNLittleFinn I see two options. Recharge on the go with an external battery pack, or change out to a secondary GPS at the main AS and run a loop with it while your main GPS recharges.

I'd go for the external battery pack, preferably a small one. Testing, of course, prior to race day.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,481 Member

ETA here is like this..

ETA. My 620 would still be wearable.

@Elise4270 If the GPS uses an on-wrist HR monitor, you'd lose that. That's all you would lose. If you use a chest strap, you'd still get HR data.

And while it's in your pocket or bag it would be *slightly* more difficult to see. I'm sure you could find a place to strap it on to your person so you could just lift it up to see, then run a cable to the battery in your pocket/pouch/vest/whatever

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    [
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I don't see that as a big problem. If you're in a race which requires a recharge on the run, it's probably long enough that you really don't need to look at your GPS all the time. Remove the GPS, plug it into an external battery pack, put it in one of the many pockets your hydration vest. It will still be easy enough to pull out if you have to see something on it.

If you can afford 10 minutes at *each* station to charge, without making any progress (other than resting), why couldn't you afford to take it off for an hour and fully recharge on the go (making progress)? I think I may be missing something here? I'm also not getting how the leg difficulty makes a difference ("take it off on an easy leg")

@MNLittleFinn I see two options. Recharge on the go with an external battery pack, or change out to a secondary GPS at the main AS and run a loop with it while your main GPS recharges.

I'd go for the external battery pack, preferably a small one. Testing, of course, prior to race day.
    That's the option I'm leaning toward. I'm not super worried about getting HR data, and if I was, I'd just use a chest HRM and bypass that issue.