November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - Yes I said that, but the problem is you have to take the watch off to get to the charging port :)

I don't see that as a big problem. If you're in a race which requires a recharge on the run, it's probably long enough that you really don't need to look at your GPS all the time. Remove the GPS, plug it into an external battery pack, put it in one of the many pockets your hydration vest. It will still be easy enough to pull out if you have to see something on it.

If you can afford 10 minutes at *each* station to charge, without making any progress (other than resting), why couldn't you afford to take it off for an hour and fully recharge on the go (making progress)? I think I may be missing something here? I'm also not getting how the leg difficulty makes a difference ("take it off on an easy leg")

@MNLittleFinn I see two options. Recharge on the go with an external battery pack, or change out to a secondary GPS at the main AS and run a loop with it while your main GPS recharges.

I'd go for the external battery pack, preferably a small one. Testing, of course, prior to race day.

My thought on the easy vs hard leg was simply that you might want the HR tracking on the harder sections where you really do not need it on the easy sections. Taking the watch off you loose that tracking.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    [
    @Elise4270 - Yes I said that, but the problem is you have to take the watch off to get to the charging port :)

I don't see that as a big problem. If you're in a race which requires a recharge on the run, it's probably long enough that you really don't need to look at your GPS all the time. Remove the GPS, plug it into an external battery pack, put it in one of the many pockets your hydration vest. It will still be easy enough to pull out if you have to see something on it.

If you can afford 10 minutes at *each* station to charge, without making any progress (other than resting), why couldn't you afford to take it off for an hour and fully recharge on the go (making progress)? I think I may be missing something here? I'm also not getting how the leg difficulty makes a difference ("take it off on an easy leg")

@MNLittleFinn I see two options. Recharge on the go with an external battery pack, or change out to a secondary GPS at the main AS and run a loop with it while your main GPS recharges.

I'd go for the external battery pack, preferably a small one. Testing, of course, prior to race day.
    That's the option I'm leaning toward. I'm not super worried about getting HR data, and if I was, I'd just use a chest HRM and bypass that issue.

Can you turn off the HRM on the watch? If you can, that could save a lot of battery by itself.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

My thought on the easy vs hard leg was simply that you might want the HR tracking on the harder sections where you really do not need it on the easy sections. Taking the watch off you loose that tracking.

on a 100 mile ultra, the "hard" legs could actually be the ones with less need for HR data, since they will be the technical ones with more hicking/climbing/crawling. At least, that's been my experience in my lowly one ultra.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    [

That's the option I'm leaning toward. I'm not super worried about getting HR data, and if I was, I'd just use a chest HRM and bypass that issue.

Can you turn off the HRM on the watch? If you can, that could save a lot of battery by itself.

oh, you can turn it off, that's easy enough to do. I'm thinking about running chest strap HRM at Zumbro for that reason. Lots to decide, but running without the HRM on would be a battery saver, along with disabling apps, setting to GPS only and such....
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    [

oh, you can turn it off, that's easy enough to do. I'm thinking about running chest strap HRM at Zumbro for that reason. Lots to decide, but running without the HRM on would be a battery saver, along with disabling apps, setting to GPS only and such....

Then I think you should test and see what battery life you get with HRM off and using the chest strap. It might get you enough without all the other fun. But using a chest strap means you can easily use an external battery too. So you are covered.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    @kevaasen - THat is a cruel picture with those runners on that link running in nice warm weather. It will be NOTHING like that here in Pittsburgh. :lol:

HA - you are right - I didn't pay attention to the photo as being in Chicago can have a large number of bad and/or cold days during my planned holiday running streak. I might have to find some travel days for work to a nice location see if I can replicate :D .

Today had a wind chill of ~20 degrees with an actual 32 temperature. Will try to run as much as I can outside to minimize the use of my treadmill - but those bad weather days might also be my "very easy days" where I might just run a mile provided I am able to get some of the longer runs outside on the "relatively better weather days".
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    [

Then I think you should test and see what battery life you get with HRM off and using the chest strap. It might get you enough without all the other fun. But using a chest strap means you can easily use an external battery too. So you are covered.
    yeah. I'll be experimenting, it will be fun.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn could you wear the watch, while charging upside down on your wrist?
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    November 1 - 16.5 km run / strength training
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    @kevaasen - THat is a cruel picture with those runners on that link running in nice warm weather. It will be NOTHING like that here in Pittsburgh. :lol:

HA - you are right - I didn't pay attention to the photo as being in Chicago can have a large number of bad and/or cold days during my planned holiday running streak. I might have to find some travel days for work to a nice location see if I can replicate :D .

Today had a wind chill of ~20 degrees with an actual 32 temperature. Will try to run as much as I can outside to minimize the use of my treadmill - but those bad weather days might also be my "very easy days" where I might just run a mile provided I am able to get some of the longer runs outside on the "relatively better weather days".

We don't have that problem in Phoenix. ;)
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »

We don't have that problem in Phoenix. ;)

true that. I have to seriously consider having a team meeting with my employees in AZ, CA,TX for 3 days with an early and/or late arrival for me to be there for up to 5 days.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    [

Yes, you can turn off the HRM. And to boot, if you connect an external HRM, the watch turns off the internal one as long as the external one is connected. That also means that if the external sensor runs out of juice (which can happen quite frequently with my Scosche armband if I forget to charge it), the watch will automatically turn the internal HRM back on to pick things back up.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    So I have had this Garmin 935 for 6 days now. It arrived with 82% charge. I have used it on 4 runs (all around 90 mins give or take) with GPS+HR tracking on. I only plugged it in very briefly to update its software. I have even been using the sleep tracking just to see what it is (though I still do not see the point.)

This morning battery is at 26%. I can see this being a problem for me. With the AppleWatch I put it on the charger ever night (it could go 2 days on one charge with my normal use) That was easy to remember. With the Garmin needing at most weekly charging, I can easily see how I will forget and end up with the watch at 5% or something when I am ready to go run.

I charge mine in the car while I’m driving my kids to/from school. It’s a good 45 minutes round trip so if I do that twice a week I’m more than good. I think it’s good to get in the habit of same time(s) every week, then you won’t forget.
  • garygse
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn could you wear the watch, while charging upside down on your wrist?
    Technically yes, but he'd need the quick release straps, and at that point, he may as well just put the thing in a pocket while it charges (I'm with @7lenny7 on this one, it's kind of a non-issue as the 935 charges really quick).
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Technically yes, but he'd need the quick release straps, and at that point, he may as well just put the thing in a pocket while it charges (I'm with @7lenny7 on this one, it's kind of a non-issue as the 935 charges really quick).

and that's why that's my plan. I have enough pockets, I'll plug it in and keep on going.
  • garygse
    Options
    So I have had this Garmin 935 for 6 days now. It arrived with 82% charge. I have used it on 4 runs (all around 90 mins give or take) with GPS+HR tracking on. I only plugged it in very briefly to update its software. I have even been using the sleep tracking just to see what it is (though I still do not see the point.)

This morning battery is at 26%. I can see this being a problem for me. With the AppleWatch I put it on the charger ever night (it could go 2 days on one charge with my normal use) That was easy to remember. With the Garmin needing at most weekly charging, I can easily see how I will forget and end up with the watch at 5% or something when I am ready to go run.
    Just be sure to use a watch face that shows the battery level and keep an eye on it. It may also give a warning when it gets low, although I haven't had the chance to let it go down that far yet. And you've already seen how fast the thing charges. Mine went from 56% to 80% just from plugging it into my computer every time I needed to side-load that app I wrote...I probably side-loaded it about 10-15 times in total, and each time it was plugged in for about thirty seconds (roughly); for comparison, my older 235 seemed to gain 1% for every minute it was plugged in.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Just be sure to use a watch face that shows the battery level and keep an eye on it. It may also give a warning when it gets low, although I haven't had the chance to let it go down that far yet. And you've already seen how fast the thing charges. Mine went from 56% to 80% just from plugging it into my computer every time I needed to side-load that app I wrote...I probably side-loaded it about 10-15 times in total, and each time it was plugged in for about thirty seconds (roughly); for comparison, my older 235 seemed to gain 1% for every minute it was plugged in.

Mine alerts at 5%
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    it charges fast. So, new thing for you to figure out, since my brain isn't in it. Figure out a way for me to charge on the go at my April race.
    Can you take one of those mini battery pack? It's like the size of a battery and plugs into a phone or USB hub thingy
  • garygse
    Options

Mine alerts at 5%
    Is that while it's recording an activity, or in general use as well? I remember my 235 warning me at 10% while recording (higher percentage needed for the smaller battery I guess). Speaking of alerts, it also alerted me when my phone battery was low as well, which I thought was pretty nifty. I imagine the 935 does that as well, but again, I haven't had a chance to see that happen yet.