November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

So, a runner passed me this morning at dark o’thirty wearing a ski mask and black running gear. It is cold for Texas but not THAT cold - 53 degrees. I turned and looked at him as he started zooming past and it scared me so bad I almost had a heart attack. He looked like a freakin’ mugger! Who runs in a ski mask? Geesh

This is my sub-freezing with wind get up:

So, I guess I would freak you out :lol:

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    11/1 10miles

10 miles tempo run kicked my butt! Had to stop twice to catch my breath, which might be defeating the purpose... oh well I’m glad it’s over.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless - At 53°, I'm still wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I'd freak out, too. @PastorVincent - no worries, at those temps, you're the only one out there.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Overslept fourth day of no training, at least it was a good nights sleep.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Congrats on registering for Zumbro @7lenny7 ! The course looks like a party- you and @MNLittleFinn are going to have fun!

@PastorVincent at what temp do you actually break that outfit out for? Also, how do you like North Face's jackets?

Got to run lots of great ice this morning! Nothing like trail shoes and ice to wake you up :)

Had a dream about running Black Spur Ultra last night (damn you @juliet3455 :D ) that was so good I actually checked the race date. But alas, it is 1-2 weeks before LSU and I can't see myself running a 100k and a 100 miler that close together and doing well :/ . Considering Sinister instead now...first world racing problems right here.

November 1- 18

18/500km

2018 Races
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    *Cactus Coulee Crawl 30km, TBA June
    ??? Sinister 7 100 Mile, TBA July
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Mile TBA September

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @eponine1984 welcome back again this month! You have a great goal for the month, and your other goals are great too! with your increased mileage, your 5k time will drop. Just keep at it! We all started somewhere and you're on a great trajectory to running success!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @PastorVincent at what temp do you actually break that outfit out for? Also, how do you like North Face's jackets?

That Northface jacket is HUGELY expensive (at least on my wallet) but - wow, it is killer. It is called a wind barrier and it does just that. It does not have much in the way of warmth insulation, but it stops any winds from reaching my skin.

Under it, I layer whatever I need for the actual temp. Sometimes that meats heat gear under it cause the windchill demands the jacket, but the real temp does not demand cold gear.

Where I run it gets VERY windy so that jacket and face covering is a big deal for me. It stinks because I will get hot, pull down the face mask, and then my face gets slammed with the wind.

I have been down to single digits (F) in the outfit pictured... but still working out my cold running kit and how to balance against wind, snow, and stuff. I even have yaktracks :) I used to live in the south, so do not have a lot of cold weather miles yet.

• mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Day 1: 5 pages behind. Way to go people!!
    ;)

Last month was successful as I completed my 80 km among all festivities and even before my vacation started. This month I am going to challenge myself in terms of speed and my running surface. I would be running on hard pathways no more flat surface.

November target: 90 km
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    November 1: 2 miles

I ran an easy 2 miles. Tomorrow I'll take a rest day. Friday I'll walk a mile or two.

Saturday is the HM!!!

AWESOME!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So, a runner passed me this morning at dark o’thirty wearing a ski mask and black running gear. It is cold for Texas but not THAT cold - 53 degrees. I turned and looked at him as he started zooming past and it scared me so bad I almost had a heart attack. He looked like a freakin’ mugger! Who runs in a ski mask? Geesh

That happens here too (Oklahoma). I don't know how some people run, in my opinion overdressed. Last weekend DH and I ran together and at 1.5 I was pulling my pants off (nike running undies/shorts under em. Idk if they are shorts or undies). And pulling my sleeves up complaining about it being hot. I think it was 45-50 and windy. DH was fine in pants, buff on his head and long sleeves. Gah. Never again will I wear pants above 45 unless it's windy and rainy.

I've seen guys in heavy coats in the summer. I just figured they are heat training. I think it's the same guy that runs with an altitude mask. (Guess that's what it's called). Makes it harder to breath. He must be serious.

So maybe you're running mugger is still heat training? Or running from a crime screen! Heck, be 85 next week.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    jojopel wrote: »
    Joining this challenge for the first time. I will set a conservative goal of 40 miles.

Welcome, you got this! And, I'll say, I think you'll be surprised at how much you can do. There are a lot of experienced runners here, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask, they'll be more than happy to help you!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @Orphia did you do the “Bloody Long Walk 35km” last year? The name sounds so familiar.
    @DDmom0811 I was thinking about your daughter last night when I saw the news. Horrible.
    @MNLittleFinn I don’t look at any other threads but this one.
    @garygse that is quite a recovery pace you did there. Nice 133 mph you say.
    Fantastic @7lenny7 looking forward to hearing about your training and ultimately the race.
    @greenolivetree you CAN for 40 miles!!!!
    @JessicaMcB just the names of the races you run scare me ha ha
    @WandaVaughn in case I forgot to mention it make sure you stay after the HM, they did a ton of door prizes the year I ran it and I got a great wind vest that says Huntsville Half written on it. Let me know your bib number in case my tired self gets up early.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,985 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    November goal: 70 miles

11/1: 3.4 miles

3.4/70 miles

Welcome to all the newbies! This is a really fun group. My running has definitely improved since I joined.

I had a nice run today at lunch. Yesterday it was ~45F when I ran at the track, and I was cold. Today it was ~72F at lunch and it is supposed to be 88F after work, so I ran at lunch. So far I prefer running in the heat over the cold, but 60F to about 72F is just about perfect. I will probably try to run again at lunch tomorrow. The plumbers are supposed to come to try to find our gas leak tomorrow afternoon so there is a good chance I won't be able to run after work. I'm just praying it is going to be a relatively easy fix. Sometimes I wish we still rented. lol

exercise.png

ETA I don't know why sometimes the tickers update and sometimes they don't.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    I'm back to give November a go after the disaster October was.

01/11 3.64 miles

exercise.png

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @amymoreorless - At 53°, I'm still wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I'd freak out, too. @PastorVincent - no worries, at those temps, you're the only one out there.

@PastorVincent You would be the only one out in sub-freezing temps -- @karllundy is correct. It might drop below freezing one day a year here. The whole city goes in freak-out mode and shuts down when it happens. I did not think about heat training @Elise4270. It is still in the 80s during the afternoon here as well. Whatever the reason, it was a bizarre site at 6 am.

@greenolivetree You are going to totally rock those 40 miles this month! :)

@WandaVaughn Good luck at the HM this Saturday!