November 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @_nikkiwolf_ If I remember correctly we have like 12cm on the ground. we got about 7cm last night, but had had some melting before that. I think our total is like 15cm has fallen.
  • MNLittleFinn
    @eponine1984 You're overthinking it. For a turkey trot, just enjoy it. If you're worried about the hills, follow your plan, but get outside and run on a course that has some inclines to it.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    @eponine1984 One idea would be to run the actual course (if traffic or geography permits) a week or two before the race. I used to do that a lot so I'd know where trouble might be.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2017
    @eponine1984 I don't think you'll have a problem beating that TM time. In fact, I think if you want to do some incline work that's fine.

But I do believe that this close to race day, you should continue to work on the 2.45 miles thats not uphill.

I see most people in a 5k walking the hills, you won't be alone if you need to take a break. I also find that if the hill is early in the race it's harder than mid way to the end once I'm warmed up. I probably should do a warm up mile first, but then it'd make that last mile twice as hard (mentally)! :wink:
  • MNLittleFinn
    @MNLittleFinn hi, I'm Heather and I'm an over thinker. It's nice to meet you :)

I do really well having a plan in front of me (like c25k is awesome. It told me when to run and when to walk and I love it). I guess I still feel like I'm not a runner and it's got to be a lot harder than it seems. Like honestly, just put one foot in front of the other, right?

Side note- I asked my sister what to do when I realized the course had a hill. How I should train, etc. she told me "run hills." I know that, but I still expect there to be more to it. Like I should need a complete system of squats and hamstring curls in order to go up a teensy hill.

LOL. Welcome to the club. you have no clue how many different plans I've overthought. This close to the race, just enjoy the running, follow your current plan and just run outside where you can get on some hills for real. That's my favorite way to do things. You don't need a new plan, the one you have is just fine. Just refine it by adding in inclines where you can and keep going with that. a Turkey trot is just supposed to be fun, don't let the fun go away by thinking about it too hard (like I did last year....) You got this!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited November 2017
    Does anyone know what 140' increase in elevation over .65 miles works out to on a treadmill incline?

@eponine1984 to answer your question, it's 4%

% grade = rise/run = 140' /0.65 miles = 140'/3432' = 0.04 = 4%

But I agree with @MNLittleFinn

• eponine1984
    eponine1984 Posts: 220 Member
    @7lenny7 I did that math, and it seemed too easy. Shouldn't a sine or a cosine be involved? See, I really do make things too hard...
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    @MNLittleFinn hi, I'm Heather and I'm an over thinker. It's nice to meet you :)

I do really well having a plan in front of me (like c25k is awesome. It told me when to run and when to walk and I love it). I guess I still feel like I'm not a runner and it's got to be a lot harder than it seems. Like honestly, just put one foot in front of the other, right?

Side note- I asked my sister what to do when I realized the course had a hill. How I should train, etc. she told me "run hills." I know that, but I still expect there to be more to it. Like I should need a complete system of squats and hamstring curls in order to go up a teensy hill.
    I think this statement here is why you over think it. And I know this, because I do the same! But when I found out my first 5k had pretty good hills, I just ran. Keep doing you training and see if you can get outside. You'd be surprised what doesn't feel like a hill when you drive, will feel like one when you run! And even walking some of my first 5k, I got 43 minutes and change. Go have fun! You got this!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    @7lenny7 I did that math, and it seemed too easy. Shouldn't a sine or a cosine be involved? See, I really do make things too hard...

You'd use sine or cosine if you wanted to find the angles.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I am also a member of Club Overthinkers. I ran the course for the 10k I did last weekend twice (because the first time I ran it, I accidentally did it in reverse). I'm glad I did because there was one, long, slow incline of a hill. I was able to run up the whole thing and keep a decent pace because I knew what was ahead of me and knew how much I could blow on the hill until I got to the glorious downhill part. :)
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    @skippygirlsmom Poor Skip!!! Oh I feel so bad. But you were there for her and she will recognize that. She probably just needs a day to cry. I'll cry with her.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,116 Member
    @skippygirlsmom I'm so sorry for Skip! And you. There are few things more difficult than seeing your child's heart broken.