November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I typed a rather long post about seeing the pt today and my concern over the potential of another surgery to address this ongoing battle with bursitis and related symptoms during which i inadvertently hit "back" then lost it all. Haha! Your welcome!

Shorter version. Did some dry needling in my IT band, adjusted my right hip that was rotated forward then massaged my knotty muscles (oh that sounds naughty- was not that sort of visit). I have less pain. Not sure if I should completely rest or try to do some 2 mile runs...

I'd like this to PT to prevent the need for surgery. But I feel like that would be a slim possibility. It's like the long road keeps getting longer.

So.... Idk if I'm running or not.... The surgeon has been treating this for 9-10 months now, I'm afraid no amount of pt is going to prevent that. Someone tell me otherwise :smile:
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November goal 100miles, at least 1mpd

11/1 4.43
    11/2 2.25

Total: 6.68

@skippygirlsmom ...give Skip an extra long hug tonite....

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Date........Miles.......Total
    11/01......0.00........0.00
    11/02......5.66........5.66

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming races. Let me know if you will be running them too.
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon
    10/14/17 - AIM for the Cure Melanoma 5K Walk/Run

12/16/17 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/04/18 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/22/18 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - So sorry about Skip. That's just so sad.
    @osubuckeye906 -- glad you aren't afraid to go either! Daughter feels the same and so do I. I'll text you later today/tonight. So busy getting ready to go out of town!
    @_nikkiwolf_ - She's so excited for the marathon! I keep getting little countdown texts from her!

11/1 - 4 miles
    11/2 - Strength training - tabatas - push ups/pull ups/sit ups and wall squats
    11/3 - rest day and fly to NY!

NYC Central Park - Abbott Dash to the Finish Line 5K - 11/4
    I/ITSEC 5K in Orlando - 11/29
    Daytona Beach HM - 2/4/19

exercise.png

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Maybe random - but has anyone done the St. Pete Beach Classic? Specifically the Maddie Zolfo Half Marathon? It's in January and I'm thinking a nice destination to escape the cold for a bit. It's the same date as the Key West half, which I'd love to do but would be a significantly more expensive trip (flights and hotel).
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    2.7 elliptical miles

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I average about 4k a day at this point in my running, so let's also aim for 48k and see how I do. I'm also aiming to run three days a week for the entire month of November. So far, off to a great start.

you got this! You'll do great!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    11/1 – 8 miles
    11/2 – 0 miles
    11/3 – 0 miles – oops forgot to set the alarm

8 of 100 miles

Thank you all so much for the kind words on my Skip. She was still down this morning, but is ready for Senior night at the football game. This is where Seniors who participate in Fall sports are recognized. It’s actually supposed to be for football, cheerleading and band, but we managed to squeeze in a few years back ha ha.

Ha ha @PastorVincent mine would look just like yours. I’m sitting here right now with a Bojangles biscuit and 2 Hershey bars on my desk.
    @MobyCarp Skip always does a cool down run after she runs at a meet, she even did a mile yesterday after run. She said every other step was ouch so it was slow, but she did it. I’m also terrible at knowing what to say, I’m so competitive that I get annoyed and angry when these things happen, not angry at her but angry and it’s hard for me to find the right words. This is her private coach who came to this country to run and she also said to her “I went over a year without a PR” so what. I’m thinking honestly you couldn’t PR this year, but would never say that ha ha
    @RespectTheKitty do what you can and I hope the new doctor is a wizard for you and you are feeling 100% soon.
    @JessicaMcB my theory is if I worked out or I’m headed to work out or I’m running errands after I work out, I can where whatever I want.
    What a beautiful picture!
    @Elise4270 I hate that you are still going through so much.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    11/1- 25 minutes strength training (legs)+ 3.7 miles treadmill intervals
    11/2-5.3 miles

9/120

After a week of near freezing rain, we had a spring-like evening here in Ohio. It was mid 60s and glorious. I tried to take Stella for a run, but she was not feeling it. I think she was excited by the weather too and just wanted to sniff, sniff, sniff. We managed a pretty ugly mile before I returned her home and went out for another 4ish solo. My legs felt kind of heavy from my session with my trainer on Wednesday and by that time it was dark so I took it nice and slow. Also, there was a near full moon last night. I love running in moonlight.

@skippygirlsmom- Poor Skip! I hope she is okay today. Just remind her that, while this may seem devastating to her now, someday the two of you will look back and probably laugh about it. Who knows what her bright future will bring.

@JessicaMcB - I have to say that I am a bit jealous of that snow. I love running in the snow. Of course, you may have to remind me that I said that in February. Also love the outfit! I routinely go to the grocery store on my way home from a run. In the summertime, sometimes I am still pretty drenched. I know it's gross, but there are only so many hours in a day. Gotta do what you gotta do, right? On a side note, your photo made me laugh because, with the angle of your head against the door frame, at first glance I thought you were wearing a party hat!

@MNLittleFinn - Can you explain this 800m drop down a bit further? Am I understanding that you are running 800m intervals at a 9 min/mile pace until you can't maintain that pace any longer? Isn't that a pretty conversational pace for you? Is the challenge that you could be running these intervals for a long time?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @JessicaMcB that photo.... HEAVEN!!!

@skippygirlsmom very sorry to hear about Skip, but with her character I have no doubt that she'll find a way to turn this into a positive. Future motivation, life lesson,... something like that.

@MNLittleFinn sounds like the nutritionist will be a good experience. She had me at eggs. I usually eat 4 for breakfast scrambled and 2 hard boiled for lunch. Last night I also had 4 more for supper.

@lporter229 moonlight running is magical!

@shanaber my first thought was, dang, that's a lot of work for a pair of shoes. My second thought was, I'd do the same thing. Congrats on the find!
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Hubby and I were talking last night and I mentioned that I wasn't sure what to do after the HM on Saturday. He said, with a straight face,

"Well, there's the Rocket City marathon December 9th."

Bwahahaha! Fond husband. I'm glad he has such faith in me.

@WandaVaughn True story, I started running on the treadmill in October 2013. That year, December 2013, Josh Whitehead won the RCM. I remember that being all in the news cause "Local Man Win's Rocket City Marathon". I had no idea who that was at the time, but all I remember was, those people are crazy for running a marathon. But my first race was the UAH Spring Road Race 10K that very next March. Then I decided to try the Bridge Street Half Marathon that April 2014. Guess what I decided to do after that? I signed up and trained for the RCM. And that December - in 2014 I ran a 3:50:16. True story.

I might... MIGHT think about it for next year. I don't think 5 weeks is long enough to prepare myself for that kind of mileage. Oh no! I can't believe I typed that! *gives 2018 the stink eye*

skippygirlsmom - I'll let you know what the bib number is. I'll probably post a pic on my news feed after I pick up the packet this afternoon. :smile:

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 It's dropping 10 seconds of of each split, so the first is 430, the second is 420, etc.... until I can't hold within 10 seconds of thr assigned split time. That make sense?