November 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    11/1 10miles
    11/2 4miles

Did an interval run on the treadmill this morning. I sweat buckets on the treadmill even with the fan on.

I have 12 miles tomorrow. I’m not looking forward to it. I need to find a better audio book. Usually I look forward to running so I can listen :smile:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    @eponine1984 plenty of people walk hills. A tip I learnt recently is to mix a run/Walk up a hill. Walk counting to 25, counting on each foot, then run counting to 25, counting only on the right foot. Keep your running steps very small, engage the glutes and relax the feet.

You’ll be fine though.
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    November 1 - 16.5 km run / strength training
    November 2 - rest day
    November 3 - 16.5 km run

33 km done and dusted 317 km to goal
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    @skippygirlsmom too bad for Skip. Will she run indoor track?
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited November 2017
    Does anyone know what 140' increase in elevation over .65 miles works out to on a treadmill incline? Should I just focus on the 10K training app and just worry about building endurance and the hill will happen, one pace or another?
    @eponine1984 140 feet = 42 metre, 0.65mi is rougly 1km, so you have an incline of 4.2 percent. You will defenitely notice that when you are running, but you'll survive!
    One important point to keep in mind when running uphill: don't try to keep up the same pace, slow down!
    You can play with calculators like this one - when you plug in your 13:33 minute mile at 0% treadmill, it will tell you this is equivalent to an 18:47 minute mile at 4%. So it's no surprise that what you did felt really tough!
    Don't worry if you have to walk some of it during the race - more people walk uphill in races than you might expect!
    0.65 miles is quite a long hill. If you want to train for that slope and aren't used to hills at all, I would either break it up into 0.65 mi in 1 min walk/1 min run intervals, but I guess your training plan already prescribes different intervals, so you could also try something like "3 or 4 times 0.2 mi at 4%, with 0.2 mi at 0% in between as rest".

Not sure how it feels running inclines on the treadmill, but at least outside it helps to remember to look up the hill, like at least 20m in front of you, rather than staring down at your feet. And remember, slow down the pace :wink:

e.t.a Just saw that 7lenny7 already did the incline calculation for you. Guess I shouldn't reply without reading the rest of the thread first - especially when it's still short enough that that is actually doable ^^
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    PT on hip issues first thing in the morning. Lots of scraping on the gritty bits but making progress. Did my PT exercises and went for a quick 3.5 mi run after that. Enjoying the mild breezy weather.

Day/Distance/Comments

11/1 Walked outside for 45 min + did my PT
    11/2 Ran 3.5 mi + walked 0.75 mi + PT

Goal: 90 mi
    Total: 3.5 mi
    To go: 86.5 mi

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @JessicaMcB you're further north, but I'm only like 50 miles from Lake Superior. Too far for lake effect, but close enough that when storms hit the shore, we normally get something. It got up to about 3C today though, so the nastiness I ran in this morning is all gone now... figures that that would happen.

I talk with my nutritionist inabout 10 minutes, Depending on how that goes, I'm debating a second blog post for the day.... but it's not going to be all that interesting (I think) and it's not (directly) related to my hundo training.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @cburke8909 yes she is going to run indoor and outdoor track.
    @kgirlhart thank you that is so true, just broke my heart
    @seanevan10 thanks – Coach told her to take off 2 weeks before indoor and she told him she is coming to practice to run with her friend who qualified for state so she doesn’t have to run alone. So she’s bouncing back.
    @sarahthes brrrr
    @WandaVaughn there you go Rocket City!
    Thanks @JessicaMcB - yipes snow! I think you look adorable, they are jealous
    @_nikkiwolf_ and @JessicaMcB don’t feel bad, I got lost running around the office complex near my house…the complex I have worked in for 10 years.. that is in a circle ha ha
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Date Miles today - Miles for November

11/1 5 miles - 5
    11/2 8 miles - 13

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    I am so sorry for Skip @skippygirlsmom
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Geez I show up on November 2nd and I'm 9 pages late.

I'm in for 155.5 miles this month. I already missed three miles so the challenge will be fitting them in somewhere to make them up.

With all this talk of cold weather I would just like to add we cooled off to the 80s for a high this week. Hopefully it won't get too much colder or I'll actually have to use a jacket and (heaven forbid) turn on the heater.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Azercord wrote: »

I'm in for 155.5 miles this month. I already missed three miles so the challenge will be fitting them in somewhere to make them up.

With all this talk of cold weather I would just like to add we cooled off to the 80s for a high this week. Hopefully it won't get too much colder or I'll actually have to use a jacket and (heaven forbid) turn on the heater.

At what temp do you put on a jacket or turn on the heater? Just kind of curious now.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member

At what temp do you put on a jacket or turn on the heater? Just kind of curious now.

Low 50s at night, we usually end up having to do the heater at night and either open the house in the morning or run the AC in the day. I'll personally start wearing a jacket around 60 degrees though but I'm part lizard so I really don't like the cold. I'll go for a 10 mile run in 110 degrees and not be too bothered but 50 degrees and I'm complaining the whole time that I'm cold.
  • MNLittleFinn

Low 50s at night, we usually end up having to do the heater at night and either open the house in the morning or run the AC in the day. I'll personally start wearing a jacket around 60 degrees though but I'm part lizard so I really don't like the cold. I'll go for a 10 mile run in 110 degrees and not be too bothered but 50 degrees and I'm complaining the whole time that I'm cold.

LOL. opposite of me. I can just barely manage a trail marathon in 85 degrees and I'm dying, but I'll go for a run in -20F no problem, and 60 is shorts weather.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member

SAME! I have to run right after work during winter because once the sun goes down it's too cold. Although I did enjoy my Wisconsin Christmas Eve run last year. Until I stepped in a puddle that did not look like a puddle. :s

We still have our AC on. LOL
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @JessicaMcB You look like pretty much every mom I see in Phoenix. Women wear workout clothes everywhere, all the time.

I also noticed in NYC this summer women wore workout clothes every where (which I don't remember seeing 2 years ago there).