November 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Had a good conversation with the nutritionist. it was kind of embarrassing saying that I run ultramarathons but eat gas station nachos for breakfast.

I think he probably hears stuff like that a lot so don't be embarassed. I find most of the people I know who run full marathon or higher either eat to amazingly precise macros with a great micro spread or they have a tendency towards dietary shenanigans thanks to running culture all but fetishizing food. I have so many feelz about running nutrition, I'm glad your trainer hooked you up with someone who will hopefully get you the performance gains you seek!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @_nikkiwolf_ That definitely looks like a Halloweeny kind of run. You could organize a Spooky 5k there :D

@eponine1984 It really is that easy. Just run. You got all kinds of great advice already, so I can do is say ditto. :wink:

@skippygirlsmom Oh yuck! So sorry to hear that about Skip! :( But her running coach is right. There is bigger and better to come for her yet!

@MNLittleFin @JessicaMcB - and anyone else with snow already. It was 67 here today with 40% humidity and partly cloudy. In Pittsburgh. :tongue: (do not worry my time is coming!)
  • PastorVincent
    11/01 - Sick, forced rest day
    11/02 - 9 miles

Big Hary Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

Thanksgiving morning - Turkey Trot - Double Gobbler! (5K + 5 miles)
    12/02/17 - Santa 5k
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (or maybe 30K Still debating)
  • PastorVincent
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Had a good conversation with the nutritionist. it was kind of embarrassing saying that I run ultramarathons but eat gas station nachos for breakfast.

I think he probably hears stuff like that a lot so don't be embarassed. I find most of the people I know who run full marathon or higher either eat to amazingly precise macros with a great micro spread or they have a tendency towards dietary shenanigans thanks to running culture all but fetishizing food. I have so many feelz about running nutrition, I'm glad your trainer hooked you up with someone who will hopefully get you the performance gains you seek!

I think a nutritionist would look at my MFP logs and be like this:

wqwmi56jwgq1.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    @JessicaMcB - Love your outfit! It would be pretty normal in So Cal too as people here are always coming and going from the gym or a yoga class or something. I can't believe the snow there already!
    @skippygirlsmom - my heart hurts for Skip! I hope physically she isn't hurt too bad either!
    @7lenny7 - I ordered the shoes from Dubai. I am in a Skora FB group where we all commiserate on not being able to find their shoes any longer and share other shoes we like. Someone mentioned that they found them in a Tri store in Dubai... my BIL lives there and I was going to have him pick them up if available and either ship or bring them on his next trip to the US. I checked them out to see if they had my size, they did and offered a discount that covered the shipping so I went ahead and just ordered them. Too bad that word has gotten out because now they are out of stock at least in my size. We are starting to see some updates on the Skorarunning website so maybe they will be back in business soon!

Been sitting in meetings all day, since early this morning. I am taking my new shoes out for an inaugural run! WhooHoo
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

Yeah, she kind of laughed at me. We talked about in race nutrition and general nutrition. She is going to have me start reforming 1 meal a day, starting with breakfast for a week, then move on to the other meals. She has me heavy on the eggs and fruit.

Example1 : 2 hard boiled eggs, 1/4 cup nits and either a banana or Apple, or 1 cup of fruit.

Example2: 3 scrambled eggs plus 2 egg whites 1/4 cup cheese. 1/4 of an avocado, and a piece of fruit or cup of fruit.

There were a couple others, but those were good examples. She also wants me drinking more water.

I love cooking so this is more for getting ideas and coming up with shopping lists then turning it into a habit
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Nov. 2 - 3.75km elliptical
    MTD - 6.75km/80km
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    First, welcome to all newcomers to the group. :)

@kgirlhart These temperatures right? I mean, is summer still a bit confused as to where it's supposed to be in November? And then I come on here to other people talking about snow.

@skippygirlsmom Sorry to hear about Skip.

This morning was a small run with the group, so a real slow and easy one. However, I seem to have gained a small niggling pain on the inside of my lower left shin, with all indications pointing to shin splints; it kicked up after Monday's hard run (my first hard run post marathon), so for now I'm going to put 80/20 aside and just go with slow easy runs and see how things end up. Plenty of icing and stretching in the immediate future, for sure, but I doubt it'll have any impact on my monthly mileage goal unless I see no improvement.

01 - 12.90
    02 - 7.91

Total: 20.81 / 175 miles
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    @JessicaMcB - If the other moms don't appreciate your workout gear, too bad! It's practical, and you're getting done what you need to do.
    @skippygirlsmom - I hurt for Skip just reading about it! But years from now, she'll have a great story to tell. I know, that's not much comfort right now; good thing she has a coach who's better than I am at coming up with what to say.

November Running Totals (miles)
    11/1 – 5.14 group run
    11/2 – 6.60 warm up, speed work, cool down

November running total to date – 11.74

Nominal challenge goal: 200 miles

Real goals: Stay healthy. Build base. Prepare for Club Nationals in early December and the start of Boston training in late December.

Today's notes – It was warm again today, temp in the low 60s when I got to club practice. If it weren't getting dark already, I wouldn't even know it's autumn. Ran my 2 mile warmup, and saw the workout on the board. It was more challenging than the workout I crapped out on Tuesday. Talked to Coach, and settled on doing 1600s at T pace. I probably could have done 3, maybe 4; but I only did 2 x 1600 (6:22, 6:31 vs. target 6:32) with 400 recovery before going off to run a 2 mile cool down.

It struck me as I was running the last 2 miles that I've been doing this for 2 years, and only today do I realize the point of the cool down run: If I'm too wiped out to run 2 easy miles to cool down, I've worked too hard and I'm risking injury. That's where I was Tuesday. Today, I thought I might do 4x1600, but stopped at 2 to be sure I could do the cool down. That, and I didn't want to bang on my recovering ankle any harder than 2x1600.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) finished in 19:32
    July 4, 2017 Firecracker Four Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 25:42
    July 15, 2017 Shoreline Half Marathon [1:40 pacer] (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:39:05
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY) finished in 19:28
    August 9, 2017 Pound the Ground 10K (Mendon, NY) finished in 41:26
    August 12, 2017 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:47
    August 25, 2017 USATF Masters Mile (Hap Crim Michigan Mile, Flint, MI) DNS - injury
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) DNS - injury
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    October 29, 2017 Pete Glavin XC Race #4 6K (Brighton, NY) finished in 25:32.8
    November 12, 2017 Pete Glavin XC Race #5 8K (Canandaigua, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
    December 9, 2017 USATF Club National XC Championship 8K (Lexington, KY)

2018 races:
    January 1, 2018 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY)
    January 6, 2018 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    January 13, 2018 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY)
    January 27, 2018 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 17, 2018 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 24, 2018 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY)
    April 16, 2018 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• MNLittleFinn
    I just got my first workout assignment from my coach and I already hate my life. It's a time trial for baseline. 20 minute warm up then 800m drop downs with 1 minute recovery. This means the first 800m is paced at 4:30, the second is 4:30 and so on, until I can't keep within 10 seconds of the assigned time. Then a 10 minute cool down.

Sunday's assignment is a 1 hour trail run at easy effort. With the snow down now, it's going to be interesting getting on the trails. Looking forward to that!
  • MNLittleFinn
    HAH! My Garmin V02Max Score went up to 50 despite having a cold and not running! W00T! I got this work out stuff down! :lol::lol::lol:

That's just because you're a superman.
  • MNLittleFinn
    @JessicaMcB I think I set repeats on my Garmin all the way down to my current 800m personal best. Will have to see how it goes. That trail looks Nice! Deer hunting season opens here this weekend, so I'm going to have to be careful picking trail for sunday.

Oh and do I see Sinister 7 on your list? So jealous!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    @MNLittleFinn I'm considering it ;) . I really wanted to run Black Spur Ultra from the Sinister series first but it's too close to LSU. CDR is too close to In the Buff. So Sin is the only Gallant race I can plausibly swing this year. I am presently trying to talk myself down from registering in the next couple of weeks for the Squamish 50/50 to creep Robbins. Because I can absorb his talent by osmosis right?! lol