November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Jesus Christ, everyone is setting such high goals! :o
    I have just started running on the first for only a mile and a half and it sucked. I think for me a reasonable goal would be 40 miles otherwise I won't reach it and feel like I have accomplished nothing. If anyone has any tips for beginners, feel free to let me know what helped you get started at the very beginning. I am trying to focus on reducing the time for a set amount of distance and slowly increase the distance as I go.
    Good luck to everyone this month with reaching their goals! :D

We all started somewhere. 40 miles is a great monthly goal. My best advice? If you have any questions, ask the folks on here, they are great.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    I have just started running on the first for only a mile and a half and it sucked. I think for me a reasonable goal would be 40 miles otherwise I won't reach it and feel like I have accomplished nothing. If anyone has any tips for beginners, feel free to let me know what helped you get started at the very beginning. I am trying to focus on reducing the time for a set amount of distance and slowly increase the distance as I go.

I felt like that at first too. Doesn't matter. everyone starts somewhere and puts one foot in front of the other. I think my first month's goal was to just finish the couch to 5k program. So no worries.

Everybody has to be a beginner at some point. This stuff is kinda hard..until it isn't. Then it's like crack. And then you try and keep up with this thread and people are running in a single race what I run in a month. :D But it's a great group of folks who aren't judgy mcjudgersons.

#truth. All of it.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Just checking in as today is my rest day. It's so nice out (finally sunny and not windy/cold) I wish I wasn't at work and could go enjoy the weather. We've had nothing but rain the last few days and the weather network is calling for snow tomorrow :(
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Welcome to the group, where it's easy to join, just really hard to leave!

As a beginner, my advice would be not to focus on reducing the amount of time for a set distance and just to concentrate on increasing that distance. You are working on developing an aerobic base and the best way to do that is to spend more time running. Pace is irrelevant at this point. In fact, concentrate on running slow enough to be able to run for a longer amount of time. Your pace will improve over time as you work on your base. Working on increasing your speed is like putting the roof on the house. You can't do it until you build the foundation.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @kidrauhldrew Just echoing everything said already. 40 miles is a great goal, as would be 10 or 20 or 500. Whatever fits YOU. Start where you are and work from there. :) It is all good in this thread. :)
  • kidrauhldrew
    kidrauhldrew Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @kidrauhldrew My tips for beginners are to start slow and don't compare yourself to others. There are a lot of people in this thread with high mileage, but there are plenty here who have lower goals too. I started out running using the C25K app and I found it really helpful. My first month on here my goal was 40 miles and I have been gradually increasing it, but I doubt I will ever have the high mileage of many on here and that is ok. Just do you and welcome to the group.

Thank you for the advice, I will try out the app myself. You had the same starting goal as me and you are still here so hopefully the 40 won't be impossible for me to reach! :p

Also thanks to everyone else for the tips and the encouraging words! Who knows, maybe by the end of this month I will enjoy running as much as you guys do! :)
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    THIS! :D
    c7p2ly1j5b1y.png

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    10/2: 4.8
    10/3: 3 (Dreadmill run. I guess this is my punishment for forgetting my long sleeve shirt)

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

@kidrauhldrew - Here's the standard advice for beginners:

fdo2htv9xqrg.png

So . . . my chapter 20 is that I'm coming off injury, only running 35-40 miles a week right now, and might not make my nominal goal of 200 miles in November. That could sound pretty intimidating to someone who runs a mile and a half. But that's not what my chapter 1 looked like.

My page 1 looked like, "I wonder if I can become a runner. Here's a 5K plan." I set out to run intervals, run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute. I ran for one minute, and was compelled to slow to a walk. Ended up making a 2-week remedial training program to develop enough so that I could *start* the 5K training plan.

The 200+ mile months didn't come till a bit over 4 years after that. It takes time to develop.

Best advice I was given as a new runner: "If it's too hard, run slower." It took me a long time to appreciate what that meant, but it was spot on.

This. All of this.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

fdo2htv9xqrg.png

So . . . my chapter 20 is that I'm coming off injury, only running 35-40 miles a week right now, and might not make my nominal goal of 200 miles in November. That could sound pretty intimidating to someone who runs a mile and a half. But that's not what my chapter 1 looked like.

My page 1 looked like, "I wonder if I can become a runner. Here's a 5K plan." I set out to run intervals, run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute. I ran for one minute, and was compelled to slow to a walk. Ended up making a 2-week remedial training program to develop enough so that I could *start* the 5K training plan.

The 200+ mile months didn't come till a bit over 4 years after that. It takes time to develop.

Best advice I was given as a new runner: "If it's too hard, run slower." It took me a long time to appreciate what that meant, but it was spot on.

As always @MobyCarp is doling out awesome advice- definitely listen to this @kidrauhldrew ! And remember some of the higher mileage hitters in this challenge group are crazy people, you know, like @MNLittleFinn :D
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

fdo2htv9xqrg.png

As always @MobyCarp is doling out awesome advice- definitely listen to this @kidrauhldrew ! And remember some of the higher mileage hitters in this challenge group are crazy people, you know, like @MNLittleFinn :D

Me????? I'm pretty sure I'm a solid mid level mileage runner.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @katharmonic You should look into the Daytona Beach HM! It is really fun. You run around the Daytona 500 track and even though I am not into car racing, it is just really cool. They have the loud speakers and it just has a very fun feeling to it. Then you run to the beach and back. Very flat (except for one bridge). Great weather every year! This will be my 3rd year doing it! http://www.daytonabeachhalf.com/ Feb 4th!

Oh, that would be fun @ddmom0811 but I have another trip in February, so it's too close to that I think.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    11/1 10miles
    11/2 4miles
    11/3 12miles

12 mile suck fest this morning. I felt unusually tired and my legs are really tired/worn out now. I’m glad that it’s over. It’s crazy how last week’s 14 miler felt pretty good and this week’s 12 miler felt terrible.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    If I knew how to post a picture here, I would.
    @skippygirlsmom My bib number is 525!
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    11/01/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    11/02/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 2.7
    11/03/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 7.0
    Goal = 90 miles
    Upcoming races:
    11/12/17 Syracuse HM

I left work early today after a tough week, and had a nice run along the lake. Saw these 2 swans and had to stop and take pictures.
    iyhxn9mzuwfd.jpg

It was pretty chilly to start with the wind off the lake, but turned out to be a good run. Then went home and took the dog out for a little hike at a different lake.
    5rpbyqooplv5.jpg

Now I'm all tired and tucked in on the couch, with a glass of wine. Great way to end the week.

Beautiful pictures!