November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    @lporter229 It's dropping 10 seconds of of each split, so the first is 430, the second is 420, etc.... until I can't hold within 10 seconds of thr assigned split time. That make sense?

See it is stuff like that why I do not get a trainer. Too complicated and I could never hold a pace within 10 seconds no mater how slow. Just not that talented.

It's not actually that hard... I have my watch set for pace alerts that match with the split time. The point is to basically push to failure, so once I'm not within 10 I'll stop and to do my cooldown.

@lporter229 sorry, didn't notice I skipped that part!

"Not Actually that hard" -- FOR YOU maybe. I could not keep a pace within 10 seconds... for 10 seconds. Heck I can not even clap on beat without someone to watch. :tongue:

I wonder if it’s a pastor thing - my last pastor was always clapping off beat during worship songs :smile:

Friends don’t let friends clap on 1 and 3.

Actually I’m so terrified of the above that when there’s an impromptu swing jam where we are clappping with dancers in the centre of a circle, I tend to stop clapping so as not to commit the ultimate swing sin.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

"Not Actually that hard" -- FOR YOU maybe. I could not keep a pace within 10 seconds... for 10 seconds. Heck I can not even clap on beat without someone to watch. :tongue:

I wonder if it’s a pastor thing - my last pastor was always clapping off beat during worship songs :smile:

:lol: We all do go to school to be a pastor and they teach us pastor stuff.... that is all I am saying :wink: :lol:
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November goal 100miles, at least 1mpd

11/1 4.43
    11/2 2.25
    11/3 6.35

Total: 13.03

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    Options
    11/01 - Sick, forced rest day
    11/02 - 9 miles
    11/03 - 10 miles

Big Hary Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

Thanksgiving morning - Turkey Trot - Double Gobbler! (5K + 5 miles)
    12/02/17 - Santa 5k
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (or maybe 30K Still debating)
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @WandaVaughn I don't think you can post pics from the app but if you open mfp on your mobile browser you'll see a little camera I think where you add pics. It's been awhile since I've done it but that's what I remember.

11/3 - Walked 1 mile, ran 3 with a few breaks, walked 1 more = 5 miles. I wore lower drop shoes and was surprised my calves didn't hurt. However I took a nap later and woke up with a plantar fasciitis flare in my right heel. Lol. I hope to finally break these shoes in (adjust to the lower drop). I've had them a long time. They are just 4mm. Nothing crazy :D
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I guess this didn't post the first time around. Me and technology have not connected today :smirk: I apologise if it's somewhere that I overlooked..

1---3.23
    3---4.34 walked a mile of it trying to listen to my gimpy side... I bought a massage bar. It's amazing. I had such a hard time with the foam roller. The pt suggested I get this thing. I'll probably give myself rhabdomyolysis from the overuse of self massage. :lol:

7.57/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, 5.5 miles Norman OK
    Jan 27 Running the Rose. Tyler Tx. 11mi or 7k

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PB's
    1 mile 9.25  5k 33:46 10k 1:09:46
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I can't remember right now because my brain is toast- is anybody in here in WA? Anyone have any knowledge of the Pigtails 200 Miler out of Renton? When I was setting up my UltraSignUp account for LSU (reg date January 18 :# ) I stumbled across it and now I am intrigued...obviously for 2019 because I'm not *that* stupid :D

November 1- 18+8
    November 2- 22
    November 3- 20

68/500km

2018 Races
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    *Cactus Coulee Crawl 30km, TBA June
    ??? Sinister 7 100 Mile, TBA July
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Mile TBA September
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @Elise4270 Did you get a smooth stick or a bumpy one? I love my bumpy one. But it looks like some kind of torture device. Sorry about your continued issues and I hope you don't need surgery again :(
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    October goal: Not chicken out and Register for Zumbro. Start training for Zumbro and figure out real mileage
    Nominal Mileage goal: 100 miles???

11/1- REST
    11/2- 3.1+ 20 minutes shoveling
    11/3- REST
    11/4- 7.8

Total: 10.

Today's notes- Today was Time Trial day! So, of course, we got an inch of powdery snow last night that made for not so great footing. It was still snowing when I got up, but I wanted/needed to get my run in. Easy warm up was 20 minutes, I got in 2.1 miles Then the fun started. Dropdown 800s!

Rep Goal......Actual...... difference
    1 4:30......4:25..........-5
    2 4:20.....4:17...........-3
    3 4:10....4:09............-1
    4 4:00....3:57............-3
    5 3:50....3:45............-5
    6 3:40....3:37............-3
    7 3:30....3:36...........+6
    8 3:20....3:46..........+26
    9 3:10....X:xx.......Aborted

As you can see, I didn't get that many repeats in. Having just 1 minute recovery between repeats was HARD! The first 5 didn't actually seem that had, but by number 6, the collective strain of increasing pace and running on loose snow/slippery roads added up. Number 7 was the first split slower than goal, and at number 8, my pace exploded, I really had nothing left in the tank.

I attempted to start the ninth, despite already having reached the 10 seconds over goal mark on the last one. Within 100 meters, I knew goal pace wasn't going to happen, and instead of pushing and causing injury, I aborted the rep. Since my Garmin workout still had laps left (I was being kind of egotistical in my planning) I stopped the workout and set a new one for my Cool Down Jog.

Cool Down Jog was rough, I was and am still pretty knackered so I'm glad I stopped when I did. As a note, rep 8 goal pace was my current 1 mile PR pace, so I knew, with the cumulative load, I probably wouldn't get much farther than that, if any.

Now the hard part begins, I'll be waiting for my coach to get back to me on how I did. I really have no clue what he's going to say. I had really hoped to get some faster reps in, but my body just didn't want to go there.

Interesting note, my garmin things I have a new LTHR of 176.... Not sure I'm going to do anything with that though.

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k DNF, too darn hot out
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon 6:24:36
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k 18:15:51
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot???

2018 races
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k (Lottery)
    7/8- Afton 50k???
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
    10/xx Wild Duluth 50k? 100k?

http://teachertrailrunner.blogspot.com/
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Started my run today with thoughts of a birthday race on the 25th. The second most popular race in my area is a 6mile Turkey Trot X-country race run on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend. I haven't run this race since college. I was planning a 12 mile run today and was ready to cut it short because of time. At 5 and a half miles out I felt it. My calf injury from my marathon last month. Tried walking and stretching but couldn't get to the point where it felt ok. Gave up and called my dad for a ride home. Thankfully he's up early most morning. Got in 7.1 miles but I'm taking the next two weeks off from running to heal. Not making the goal this month or the race.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Started my run today with thoughts of a birthday race on the 25th. The second most popular race in my area is a 6mile Turkey Trot X-country race run on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend. I haven't run this race since college. I was planning a 12 mile run today and was ready to cut it short because of time. At 5 and a half miles out I felt it. My calf injury from my marathon last month. Tried walking and stretching but couldn't get to the point where it felt ok. Gave up and called my dad for a ride home. Thankfully he's up early most morning. Got in 7.1 miles but I'm taking the next two weeks off from running to heal. Not making the goal this month or the race.

Sorry to hear about that, but I think you are wise to take some time off to heal. You can do the Turkey Trot next year.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »

You made a good decision. I'm sorry your calf injury is still bothering you. Here's to a speedy recovery and getting back into things sooner rather than later.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    ACJones82 wrote: »
    I havent decided on a goal for this month yet.
    My husband is faster than me and has been helping me improve over the last year. This morning he said he doesnt like running with me anymore because when he runs on his own he can walk the hills.
    I have recently started hill training as I am planning to do a really hard 21k in Jan.

Awesome. You're doing fantastic. Don't worry about a goal, just keep doing what you're doing, because you're doing great.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    bjderhak wrote: »
    Hi! Just joined MFP. In the middle of marathon training and wanted to make sure I was eating enough (turns out Im not. lol) My goal in November is around 150 miles. This includes a 10k on the 12th.

Awesome and welcome! Some great and knowledgeablerunners in this group
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was rest day and I've chickened out on running in -18C this morning. Will wait until it warms to -11C this afternoon... have toddler swimming lessons to attend in the meantime.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @ACJones82 That's funny about your husband and the hills :D

@cburke8909 Sorry about the calf. Good decision to let it heal.

My heel still hurts today but I think with a good warm-up I can still run. I've had plantar fasciitis several times so I'll keep icing and rolling with a golf ball. It should resolve quickly.