November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 It's dropping 10 seconds of of each split, so the first is 430, the second is 420, etc.... until I can't hold within 10 seconds of thr assigned split time. That make sense?

See it is stuff like that why I do not get a trainer. Too complicated and I could never hold a pace within 10 seconds no mater how slow. Just not that talented.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for not being able to keep up with the posts... Just 3 days into the month, feeling a bit late for setting goals :sweat_smile:

Last month I ran 82 miles according to Strava but the month has 5 weekends (5 long runs). For November, I am thinking 80.

Question: I have a 5k race on Thanksgiving day and I want to give it my best. Should I keep my 10-mile long run the weekend before? I am preparing for the half marathon in mid-December and just started to run 10-mile long run last weekend and intend to keep that long run distance until the 5k is done.

Also, any advice on preparing a faster 5k is appreciated. I would like to try for PR but it's a long shot, given that I had been lazier this year and my weight was up for almost 10 lbs from my last PR 2 years ago. But I want to try my best.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Maybe random - but has anyone done the St. Pete Beach Classic? Specifically the Maddie Zolfo Half Marathon? It's in January and I'm thinking a nice destination to escape the cold for a bit. It's the same date as the Key West half, which I'd love to do but would be a significantly more expensive trip (flights and hotel).

I've never done that race, but my mom ran it a few years back and really enjoyed it! Looks like a beautiful course :) I'm originally from St. Pete (family still lives there), and I have to say that is a great time of year for a race there! Let me know if you end up registering, I can give you some tips on good places to visit while you're in town!
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    I'm sorry for not being able to keep up with the posts... Just 3 days into the month, feeling a bit late for setting goals :sweat_smile:

Last month I ran 82 miles according to Strava but the month has 5 weekends (5 long runs). For November, I am thinking 80.

Question: I have a 5k race on Thanksgiving day and I want to give it my best. Should I keep my 10-mile long run the weekend before? I am preparing for the half marathon in mid-December and just started to run 10-mile long run last weekend and intend to keep that long run distance until the 5k is done.

Also, any advice on preparing a faster 5k is appreciated. I would like to try for PR but it's a long shot, given that I had been lazier this year and my weight was up for almost 10 lbs from my last PR 2 years ago. But I want to try my best.

Just my two cents: If you are going all out for a PR, I would recommend cutting the long run back again since it sounds like 10 miles is currently your peak long run distance. In the long run, one week of a 6-8 mile long run won't significantly affect your fitness. As far as faster 5Ks, these are my two favorite workouts for that distance (both are done on a track):
    - 400m repeats at goal 5K pace with 200m recovery jog/walk between repeats. I usually start with 8 repeats and then work my way up to 12 over the course of a few weeks
    - ss,jc (stands for sprint straights, jog corners): exactly what it sounds like! Essentially this is alternating 100s at a fast pace and an easy pace. I try to do the "straights" at ~mile pace, and then the curves at a super easy jog. I'll either do 8-10 laps of this as a stand-alone workout, or tack a few laps on to the end of a longer interval workout (like 800s or mile repeats)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »
    Maybe random - but has anyone done the St. Pete Beach Classic? Specifically the Maddie Zolfo Half Marathon? It's in January and I'm thinking a nice destination to escape the cold for a bit. It's the same date as the Key West half, which I'd love to do but would be a significantly more expensive trip (flights and hotel).

I've never done that race, but my mom ran it a few years back and really enjoyed it! Looks like a beautiful course :) I'm originally from St. Pete (family still lives there), and I have to say that is a great time of year for a race there! Let me know if you end up registering, I can give you some tips on good places to visit while you're in town!

Oh, awesome @ariceroni! I'm glad to hear it would be a good time of year for it. It does look like a fun and beautiful race. I've been to St. Pete years ago, and liked it a lot. I'm thinking pretty seriously about it so I'll let you know!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Ah, that makes sense. Your original post did not indicate the increase in pace which is what had me confused. Sounds like a great workout.

@ariceroni- You will do great in your half! Having just completed marathon training should help a lot. You got this!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic You should look into the Daytona Beach HM! It is really fun. You run around the Daytona 500 track and even though I am not into car racing, it is just really cool. They have the loud speakers and it just has a very fun feeling to it. Then you run to the beach and back. Very flat (except for one bridge). Great weather every year! This will be my 3rd year doing it! http://www.daytonabeachhalf.com/ Feb 4th!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @mom3over40 - on all the Thanksgiving Day Trots I've done there are so many people that it would be impossible to get a PR. And as I recall they don't even have chips because it is more just a fun run type thing. But that could just be the one in Orlando. Maybe the one where you are is more official.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 It's dropping 10 seconds of of each split, so the first is 430, the second is 420, etc.... until I can't hold within 10 seconds of thr assigned split time. That make sense?

See it is stuff like that why I do not get a trainer. Too complicated and I could never hold a pace within 10 seconds no mater how slow. Just not that talented.

It's not actually that hard... I have my watch set for pace alerts that match with the split time. The point is to basically push to failure, so once I'm not within 10 I'll stop and to do my cooldown.

@lporter229 sorry, didn't notice I skipped that part!
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I think I might attempt the run streak or Holiday challenge this year. I haven't tried one in a few years and maybe this is the year I actually complete one!!

@RunsOnEspresso I think I am going to do. I am working on injury recovery now but by Thanksgiving (day I have a 5k) I think that at least 1 mile every day would be good.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

It's not actually that hard... I have my watch set for pace alerts that match with the split time. The point is to basically push to failure, so once I'm not within 10 I'll stop and to do my cooldown.

"Not Actually that hard" -- FOR YOU maybe. I could not keep a pace within 10 seconds... for 10 seconds. Heck I can not even clap on beat without someone to watch. :tongue:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

"Not Actually that hard" -- FOR YOU maybe. I could not keep a pace within 10 seconds... for 10 seconds. Heck I can not even clap on beat without someone to watch. :tongue:

as long as the split time is correct it does't matter........ I'll vary +/- 10-15 seconds at times, but the split time comes out close. it's just being aware of pace, using the watch to help and finding the groove......

.... I can't clap on beat either
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I just realized why I ran my "practice race" backwards last month. The November race I have is practically the same loop in reverse, so when I was planning my training runs, I must have been looking at the November map instead of October map.

This makes me v. v. happy because even though the hill is steeper for November, it's a much shorter climb and there is way more downhill than uphill.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Bring on favicon-32x32.pngNOVEMBrrrrr favicon-32x32.png

Goal: 50mi
    11/03 - 11.1
    22.png

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    @kidrauhldrew My tips for beginners are to start slow and don't compare yourself to others. There are a lot of people in this thread with high mileage, but there are plenty here who have lower goals too. I started out running using the C25K app and I found it really helpful. My first month on here my goal was 40 miles and I have been gradually increasing it, but I doubt I will ever have the high mileage of many on here and that is ok. Just do you and welcome to the group.