November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Hugs @RespecttheKitty . Hope the meds settle down soon.

@PastorVincent . . . I have no knowledge or experience but as an objective observer, I think a 50k the weekend after going for a marathon PR sounds like the beginning of a cautionary tale, especially since you've mentioned you have heart issues. Be careful. Go with your gut. Finishing a 30k trail race will be an impressive, masterful feat all on its own. And be sure to read the link @juliet3455 shared earlier about the lies trail runners tell o:)
  • RunRachelleRun
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Nov 8 – Strength, 1.85 miles 1-4% incline run/walk treadmill, 10 floors on beastly stair climber machine, and 4.36 mile hike
    Nov 9 – 2.05 mile easy run

MTD: 11.14 / 50 miles

I tried out the stair climber machine yesterday for a few minutes . . . to 10 floors. It was as terrifying to start as it looked. It tried to eat my toes a few times as I first walked on it the same way I would a regular staircase. Nope. Turns out my feet are too big. Proper foot placement took some getting used to. It was a great workout, and will be even better once I brave letting go of the arms. I am even more impressed now by how confidently the one girl uses it. I feel as if someone should video me; I just know I'm going to have a YouTube-worthy crash the second I lose focus.

When you record floors on Strava sometimes, how are you doing them @7lenny7? I am adding incline on the treadmill because my heart rate jumps as soon as I hit one in a race since it is so flat where I live. Thanks for the advice about being sure to run downhill too. I didn't see a way to reverse the machine. I'll have to figure out a way to get some downhill time in.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

@PastorVincent . . . I have no knowledge or experience but as an objective observer, I think a 50k the weekend after going for a marathon PR sounds like the beginning of a cautionary tale, especially since you've mentioned you have heart issues. Be careful. Go with your gut. Finishing a 30k trail race will be an impressive, masterful feat all on its own. And be sure to read the link @juliet3455 shared earlier about the lies trail runners tell o:)

MIssed that link, do you have it handy? If not I can try scrolling back through 27 pages...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun Glad you tackled those stairs! I don't think I'd ever let go of the rails. Heck, on a flat surface I often have one foot invade the space of the other! I'm slated for a face plant!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    11/1- 25 minutes strength training (legs)+ 3.7 miles treadmill intervals
    11/2-5.3 miles
    11/3-5.1 miles
    11/4-10 miles +2.8 miles pub crawl
    11/5-rest day (dog walking, but that was it)
    11/6- 5 miles + 1.5 miles with Stella
    11/7-4.4 miles + 1.1 miles with Stella
    11/8-4.9 miles + stretching
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

MIssed that link, do you have it handy? If not I can try scrolling back through 27 pages...

https://www.liftheavyrunlong.com/trail-ultra-liars/
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Oh that is perfect! HA!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Oh that is perfect! HA!

it's also all lies. We are perfectly reasonable people who know how to assess risk/reward and make decisions accordingly.......
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    Thanks @MNLittleFinn . . . I didn't want to scroll back either lol

Clutzes unite @Elise4270 !

@RespecttheKitty That is sad and amazing. I run backwards once in a while in a warm-up and can barely manage 30 feet without falling.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty I'm really happy you got a run today. It sucks that you had a panic attack, but I'm super glad that you got the run in.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Oh that is perfect! HA!

it's also all lies. We are perfectly reasonable people who know how to assess risk/reward and make decisions accordingly.......

The sarcasm is strong in this one.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty I'm really happy you got a run today. It sucks that you had a panic attack, but I'm super glad that you got the run in.

This.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Oh that is perfect! HA!

The sarcasm is strong in this one.

Me????? I'm never sarcastic..... and trail runners are extremely nice and honest people. Why, a trail runner helped me understand that I wanted to run a trail marathon 4 weeks after my first ever 26.2, then helped me realize that I wanted to run a 100k 4 months after my first marathon... perfectly reasonable if you ask me.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    11/1 = 10 miles
    11/2 = strength training
    11/3 = 5 miles
    11/4 = 19 miles
    11/5 = rest day
    11/6 = 4.5 miles and strength training
    11/7 = 8.5 miles
    11/8 = rest day