November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I hate the headphone cord but I'm always forgetting to charge my wireless ones and they are kind of awkward and uncomfortable, so I end up reverting back. I'm tempted to try the bone conduction kind but I'm afraid they will be uncomfortable so I haven't invested. Anybody use those?

I did in a demo. The leave your ears open so you hear 100% of everything around you. The sound more like background music that the clear and foreground sound of regular headphones. I did not like them but if you want your ears open to the environment there is no better option.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 my goal in life is to be able to do a pull-up. I have no idea what to do with the rest of my life once I achieve that, but it's a while away anyway.....

With push ups, better than girly ones are doing elevated ones - so in traditional push-up pose you might start against a wall, and then as you get stronger choose a step and do that, gradually aiming to get closer and closer to the floor with each round. It will strengthen your core better than girly push-ups on the knees, and teaches the right form all the time.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @ddmom0811 my goal in life is to be able to do a pull-up. I have no idea what to do with the rest of my life once I achieve that, but it's a while away anyway.....

HA! I feel the same way. Been working on it for a while now. With the "pull up assist" machine I need 35 pounds of help. Getting there!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB that letter is awesome, and your before/after is AMAZING! Now do you see why I say you are an inspiration?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB and @7lenny7 , Amazing progress pics! Jessica for about 30 seconds there I thought you were trying to pull one over on us, and that was a photo of your child or a younger sister!

@Teresa502 I thought everybody here look like an elite athlete when I first joined. But of course we all just look like normal people! My alter-ego definitely looks like Shalane Flanagan though :wink:

Post PT update: I slept very very well for the first time in months. Of course we got the new washer and dryer in, the washer is impossible to keep it from cavitating. So I'm afraid I will be schlepping to the laundromat unless we reinstall the old washer, for the weekend. Boo. Dd did all her laundry in the old one, I waited for the new one like the dumb dumb I am. :tongue:
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

HA! I feel the same way. Been working on it for a while now. With the "pull up assist" machine I need 35 pounds of help. Getting there!

I had never heard of pull up assist until recently, but my small gym doesn’t have one. Earlier this year I decided I wanted to work on pull ups and used the Zen Labs app that uses the same philosophy as C25K does for running. I started at being able to do 3 and got to the end where it had me doing 13. By the end I was supposed to be able to do 20, but I was disappointed that the program stopped at 13 and was to big of a jump to get to 20... plus, I have some arthritis in my elbows, so the pain wasn’t worth it to keep going.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @JessicaMcB that letter is awesome, and your before/after is AMAZING! Now do you see why I say you are an inspiration?

This.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    As to finding trails - my sister has a rule with hiking/canoeing in the wilderness. Make sure the activity you are doing takes longer than the drive to get to it. Other than that, anything is fair game. Mind you, she camps in the snow so she's bonkers anyway.

@girlinahat I like your sisters mojo/attitude. Unfortunately some of the truly epic Canadian adventures are the Balanced, 3 days driving for 3 days of hiking/canoeing etc.

Not sure if this is going to link/post properly but A very short Video Clip Teaser from one of my friends in Grande Prairie with a Trail Trekkers group doing an evening Headlamp Trail Run For those who have never ran at night in the snow with a headlamp it gives a good view of how magical it is.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    As to finding trails - my sister has a rule with hiking/canoeing in the wilderness. Make sure the activity you are doing takes longer than the drive to get to it. Other than that, anything is fair game. Mind you, she camps in the snow so she's bonkers anyway.
    That's a very sensible thing to do. I know I've driven longer than I've run before, but most of those were to get on the specific trail section I would be running in a race.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

@girlinahat I like your sisters mojo/attitude. Unfortunately some of the truly epic Canadian adventures are the Balanced, 3 days driving for 3 days of hiking/canoeing etc.

yeah. She lives in Winnipeg......last year she did an epic explore of the Yukon, the sort of trip where no one really has a proper map for..

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    11/01 - REST
    11/02 - REST
    11/03 - 1.95
    11/04 - 8
    11/05 - REST
    11/06 - 4.7
    11/07 - 2.5 (uggg, treadmill)
    11/08 - 5
    11/09 - REST
    11/10 - Cross training: Bodypump and CX Works + 10 minutes on treadmill walking with steep incline.

Back to my bodypump class this morning for cross training. Looking forward to my long run tomorrow. 9 miles this time, and if my schedule cooperates, I'll do it on part of the HM course. It's a bit of a drive north for me to that path, but it really helped my head in the last 10k to have been on the course before. Plus, it's something different to look at!

• fitoverfortymom
    Options
    @katharmonic I have a pair of "true wireless" headphones by Sound Peats. I have had them a month or so and really like them. There is a piece for each ear, but I only use one so I can have one ear free, but there is no cord connecting them, so it's just a single piece. They weren't expensive or fancy and get the job done. They have the ear hook thingy so I don't worry about it falling out, and they are easy to pair to my phone.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @JessicaMcB ...that before & after...wow! I didn't know which button to click at the bottom of your post. I wanted to click them all! Very impressive and inspiring! (I picked inspiring).

You actually can click them all btw... ;)

You certainly can but since it only logs the last one you click there's not much point... ;-)

At least that's the way it works on my phone and computer

@Azercord I am very jealous! I'm looking forward to pix!
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

eq0h3bq25393.jpg

And this is why we should do the right thing, even when we could ignore it and just go win.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »

I had never heard of pull up assist until recently, but my small gym doesn’t have one. Earlier this year I decided I wanted to work on pull ups and used the Zen Labs app that uses the same philosophy as C25K does for running. I started at being able to do 3 and got to the end where it had me doing 13. By the end I was supposed to be able to do 20, but I was disappointed that the program stopped at 13 and was to big of a jump to get to 20... plus, I have some arthritis in my elbows, so the pain wasn’t worth it to keep going.

Well if I could do 3 to start, I would not use the machine, but without a jump I can not even do one. I like to get to the point I can do 2 - 3 sets of 8-10 but that might take more dedication to the goal than I can muster. Right now, target is 1. Baby steps. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @Dazzler21 nice running. your 26.2 on the 26th looks cool, all I can think is location!
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I can't wait.I am happily terrified - I know I can do the distance, just not sure if I'll get the time I have been training towards.