November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    So after my long run this morning I hop in the shower, towel off and notice my lips are blue - like really blue! I almost took a picture. Crazy right? It was 59 degrees with a chilly breeze. For most of my run I felt quite warm, so I’m a little weirded out by it. I feel ok.

Any one else experience this weirdness?

Not blue lips, but sometimes after a long run in colder weather I'll notice that warm water feels hot. I take this to mean hypothermia was trying to sneak up on me, and I didn't dress quite warm enough. So far, I haven't had a disaster; but I am aware of cautionary tales about runners getting hypothermia and not recognizing it in real time.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Rest day today, and the shortest ever low maintenance season between lawn mowing and snow shoveling. Mowed the lawn for the last time yesterday afternoon. Shoveled the driveway for the first this morning. Let the lawnmower run to burn the last of this season's gas while I was pushing the snow shovel.

The glass is half full: Because I'm retired, I was able to wait till the sun had melted the snow where the shadow of the house doesn't keep it cold all day long. And I didn't have to drive anywhere till after I had shoveled. The lawnmower is now parked in back of the snowblower, which I hope not to need for another couple of months.

Depending on which weather app/site I believe, it temperature should be in the high teens or low 20s to start tomorrow's paced run. Call it about 20º F (11º C) colder than what I've run in so far this season. Time to break out some running clothes I haven't used in quite a while.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    11/1 = 10 miles
    11/2 = strength training
    11/3 = 5 miles
    11/4 = 19 miles
    11/5 = rest day
    11/6 = 4.5 miles and strength training
    11/7 = 8.5 miles
    11/8 = rest day
    11/9 = 6 miles
    11/10 = Vinyasa yoga class

Running rest day today because of my half marathon tomorrow. I went to the yoga studio for a class before heading to my torture physical therapy session for my injured gluteus medius muscle. Ouch!!! These PT sessions are a huge pain in my butt (ba da bum). I am going to be stupid sore for this race tomorrow. :(

53/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    11/11 = New Braunfels Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @seanevan10 I'll be in Dallas Monday. Can I come swim with you??? Haha! I have all my stuff ready.

I want to run today after being in less pain... I haven't decided what to do. I really enjoy not hurting and am sure if I go run I'll be achy sore again. But really wanna go run. I'm afraid if I wait until tomorrow to go, I'll go after 6 miles. Maybe I should start with 2 today? LOL! And do 6 tomorrow? And ride Sunday? Then run again Monday morning? Hahaha!

@Elise4270 This is how I feel!!! I am going to do my big warmup when I get home and then try just 1 mile. And then come home and do the rest of my PT workout/stretches. Then I will see how much farther I can go. Then ride on Sunday. I am doing a lunch swim on Monday if you want to head over. I work in Irving!!!

Lunch swim actually works for me.... My appointment is 245 downtown.

PM me when and where?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---3.23
    2--PT
    3---4.34
    7---PT
    9---PT
    10---3.33 think my next run I'll use DH's Garmin... I'm seeing my hr trend upwards.. today average was 171, max 204 average pace was only 12 min/mile... It did not feel that hard. I do feel like I have some intercostal pain... I meant to ask my PCP about it last visit, but I forget when he brought up the mammogram.

10.90 /65 miles

Upcoming races:
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, 5.5 miles Norman OK
    Jan 27 Running the Rose. Tyler Tx. 11mi or 7k

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PB's
    1 mile 9.25  5k 33:46 10k 1:09:46
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    1/01 - Sick, forced rest day
    11/02 - 9 miles
    11/03 - 10 miles
    11/04 - 12 Miles @ 9:16
    11/05 - 11.5 miles @ 9:26
    11/06 - 6 Easy Miles
    11/07 - Missed Run
    11/08 - 8 Easy Miles @ 9:08 pace
    11/09 - 10.5 easy miles @ 8:59 pace
    11/10 - 7 Slack off miles @ 9:38 pace

Big Hary Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

Thanksgiving morning - Turkey Trot - Double Gobbler! (5K + 5 miles)
    12/02/17 - Santa 5k
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (or maybe 30K Still debating)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

So I looked at the temp and it was like 28F (and falling). I knew that meant cold gear time. So I grabbed my gear and headed out. I was not sure if I had grabbed too much or not - winter temps have hit here suddenly, something like a 40F drop in the last 2 days so not really cold acclimated yet.

Well I put on my lightest gloves and left my hat behind and head out.... did not get out the door before I was pulling up my balaclava that is built into my cold gear shirt to stop the blast of wind in my face. Slapped on my Oakley's to cover my eyes and hit the trail. Knocked back 7 miles at a slower pace (9:38) than lately but was tired before I started due to long hours this week at work.

Came in and looked at the temp... feels like was 16F (-9C)! Ops. :)

My kit did okay save for my hands. fingers were painfully cold for a good mile or 2. Eventually, they stopped hurting, at least until I got in the shower and lukewarm water hit them. Ouch.

So need to work on that a bit. I need to get my gear to take me to 0 comfortable if I am going to keep up training this winter. I am going to need a real balaclava though as my face feels a bit stingy still two hours later. Probably shop one out tomorrow.

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat - a pull-up is one of my life goals as well... at this point it seems much more likely than my 6 pack abs life goal. I LOVE the bands for assisted pull-ups. Both the assistance machines, and the cross fit style modifications (i.e. Ring rows, etc) don't seem to carry over enough for me. You wouldn't think the assistance machine would be that different, but I struggle with it. Trainer has me go from foot in band, to knee in band, to next lower band, if that helps. The logic being that the knee in band is still the same amount of support, but less spring assist. The other thing that seems to be making a pull-up look more likely possible, and helping things like the deadlift- is just dead hangs. Because grip strength is one of my limiting factors in the process. It occurred to me I would never be able to do 10 pull-ups, if I couldn't hold on to the bar long enough to complete them.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB and @7lenny7 Wow, the transformation between both of your before and after pictures is absolutely incredible!

@JessicaMcB Given the negative news we are constantly surrounded by, reading notes like that goes a good way to restoring my belief in humanity!

@girlinahat Great pictures of London! Never knew about that tiny beach either...looks like it's near the OXO tower though, right? And great job on that pull-up!

@amymoreorless Good luck on your race tomorrow!

I bought some KT tape for my shin and taped it up before going to bed. It seemed to help a lot for this morning's 15-miler, but then the ache started to return a little throughout the day, so I'll leave it on and see how it helps with a weekend free of any running.

01 - 12.90
    02 - 7.91
    03 - 14.43
    06 - 8.26
    07 - 10.47
    08 - 8.56
    09 - 10.55
    10 - 15.38

Total: 88.46 / 175 miles
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    November 1 - 16.5 km run / strength training
    November 2 - rest day
    November 3 - 16.5 km run
    November 4 - Strength training
    November 5 - 5 km club/14 km run
    November 6 - 19 km run
    November 7 - 21 km run
    November 8 - Strength training
    November 9 - 16.5 km run
    November 10 - 21.5 km run
    November 11 - Strength training

130 km completed - 220 km to goal
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformations @JessicaMcB and @7lenny7 ! I also thought Jessica that you were always a runner, and am amazed and inspired by your hard work. You're still crazy, but I love it and thanks for sharing your story.

I'm no super runner, but I've definitely come a long way from where I started. I was also embarrassed to put on running clothes and join the group of "real runners" every week. Many of us have been exactly in that place.

@Elise4270 I hate the headphone cord but I'm always forgetting to charge my wireless ones and they are kind of awkward and uncomfortable, so I end up reverting back. I'm tempted to try the bone conduction kind but I'm afraid they will be uncomfortable so I haven't invested. Anybody use those?

Snowed here overnight and it's cold. Not looking forward to this. I'm going to have to figure out how to dress for Sunday's HM.

I haven't used them, but a friend of mine uses Aftershokz and says they're the best headphones evah!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Bought a few more pieces of cold gear today and now my wallet feels lighter. I'll need it next week though. High of -15C next Thursday...
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Bought a few more pieces of cold gear today and now my wallet feels lighter. I'll need it next week though. High of -15C next Thursday...

Running in the cold is fun. If you have the right gear, there's no reason to not run outside year round. Have fun with the cold running!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 8 miles
    11/2 - 0 miles
    11/3 - 0 miles
    11/4 - 3 miles of horrible
    11/5 – 10 miles of awesome
    11/6 – 0 miles
    11/7 – 6 miles
    11/8 - 0 miles
    11/9 – 5 miles
    11/10 – 6 miles

38 of 100 miles

@girlinahat super pictures
    @ddmom0811 thanks for the explanation, sounds hard
    @MNLittleFinn you are looking a bit chilly
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

I've run in colder.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MobyCarp I wish I could grow a beard. Alas, it is not to be.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November goal 100miles, at least 1mpd

11/1 4.43
    11/2 2.25
    11/3 6.35
    11/4 2.25
    11/5 4.50
    11/6 2.22 + snorkel 3.5hours
    11/7 7.00
    11/8 2.32
    11/9 4.13
    11/10 2.72

Total: 38.17

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Phoenix Women's 10k 1/28/18
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

I've run in colder.

Grow a beard, and you can get more impressive looking pictures. This one is from after a run in January 2015. 10 miles, and it warmed from -10º F when I started to +5º F when I took the picture:

426ec5spu6mc.jpg

Alright team you heard the man, clearly I need to get on growing a beard a la Gary Robbins :D
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Ben is sick, the kids went down fast so I did laundry and a teeny amount of speed work. Fast times over at the McBride house this Friday night. Long run at 3, night all!

November 1- 18+8
    November 2- 22
    November 3- 20
    November 4- 42
    November 5- 20
    November 6- 18
    November 7- 18
    November 8- 19
    November 9- 18
    November 10- 28+6

237/500km

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 18
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    *Cactus Coulee Crawl 30km, TBA June
    ??? Sinister 7 100 Mile, TBA July
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Mile September 7
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Ben is sick, the kids went down fast so I did laundry and a teeny amount of speed work. Fast times over at the McBride house this Friday night. Long run at 3, night all!

November 1- 18+8
    November 2- 22
    November 3- 20
    November 4- 42
    November 5- 20
    November 6- 18
    November 7- 18
    November 8- 19
    November 9- 18
    November 10- 28+6

237/500km

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 18
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    *Cactus Coulee Crawl 30km, TBA June
    ??? Sinister 7 100 Mile, TBA July
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Mile September 7

Did you wake up and run, or run and then go to bed? I would normally think the former, but the post suggests the latter. Confusing for poor little me!

ETA: I guess it’s not really that important if you answer this...doesn’t change your awesomeness.