November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I hate the headphone cord but I'm always forgetting to charge my wireless ones and they are kind of awkward and uncomfortable, so I end up reverting back. I'm tempted to try the bone conduction kind but I'm afraid they will be uncomfortable so I haven't invested. Anybody use those?
    @katharmonic I have the Aftershokz Trekz Titanium. Worst waste of money this year, at least for me! The problem with the bone conduction is that it only works if the pieces are pressed against the bones. This doesn't work for me when I'm running. They keep moving in and out of the right position, so the music also jumps between loud and quiet. Drives me insane! In addition, while they are okay while wearing either glasses or a headband, when I'm wearing both, the headphones press the arms of the glasses againt my temples in a way that really hurts.
    I'm back to using my Plantronics Backbeat - much more comfortable, no "contact problem", and I actually think they still allow a good awareness of the environment, at least at the volume I use.

@katharmonic Thank you for this review! I was seriously considering getting the Aftershock Trekz. I have changed my mind now. I can see them loosing connection due to bouncing around when I run. Makes sense.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn and @PastorVincent Brrr, that sounds like some really cold runs!

@Azercord Really awesome that you go to Chile! Have a good trip. The elevation is no joke - I've never been there, but my parents went last year, and they felt it a lot, even walking/hiking. Definitely high enough to count as elevation training :smiley:

@JessicaMcB That's so sweet that the woman from your ultra send you this! And I love your photos :)

@lporter229 I hope your foot will feel better tomorrow. All the best for your half marathon. And congratulations on the pull-ups! If those alligator walks ever get too easy, there's a few more animal exercises out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14BjRxE7f1o
    And it that is too easy for you, here are a few more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgVwrJZ4stI

@seanevan10 YAY on being pain free!! I hope your run went well. Enjoy the zoo :smile:

@girlinahat Congratulations on the pull-up! The bands sound like a great way to train.
    You've got me eying my doors again - but the stupid things have no ledge (trim?), they are flush with the wall. I tried different types of door-pullup-bars in the past, but none of them ever worked. And I'm not allowed to drill in the frame *sigh*

@katharmonic Added comment on the Aftershokz, since now that I caught up with the thread I found that a few people like them: I guess you will have to try - maybe if they have them in the shop make sure you can give them back if you don't like them? Since I don't use them, I would gladly send you mine, if you didn't live on another continent...

@Elise4270 The skateboard visualisation in that article is really good, I'm going to try that. Thanks for sharing! Seems there is even a book by Beverly "Runner's World Your Best Stride: How to Optimize Your Natural Running Form". Looking at google books, some of the text is the same or really similar, maybe that's why they didn't put it online.

----

I've decided I'm going to buy myself a new running rain jacket as a very, very early Christmas present. I spent more than two hours running in the rain today, and my jacket was soaked through after 10 minutes.
    Which leads me to a (maybe weird) question:
    How often do you wash running rain jackets? I mean, after a long run in the jacket, it's sweaty, so of course I throw it in the washing machine along with my other running clothes. But then I'm always wondering if maybe washing destroys the rain protection, and I should avoid it? I know there are special detergents to get the waterproofing back, but a) they are expensive, b) they usually require a laundry drier and I don't have one, and c) the one time I tried (with trip to the laundromat to use the drier and all) it didn't really work. But if I don't wash the jacket, how do I get it clean - turn it inside out before the next run in the rain? :wink:
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Pushed a little harder than my plan called for. I'm sure I will find out tomorrow if that was a wise/unwise move.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Where is our picture?!? Lol
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I'm back to using my Plantronics Backbeat - much more comfortable, no "contact problem", and I actually think they still allow a good awareness of the environment, at least at the volume I use.

This is what I use. They are great, the only drawback is they only have like 6 hours of battery life.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    11/1 - cross training (hubby calls that particular DVD 'Stepford Aerobics')
    11/2 - 3.9km
    11/3 - rest
    11/4 - 3.9km
    11/5 - rest
    11/6 - crosstraining
    11/7 - 6.9km
    11/8 - rest
    11/9 - 5.7km
    11/10 - 8.7km

29.1/70km

Did an out & back halfway to Leduc today and I'd say for a good third of my run I was on drifted, crusted, barely broken snow. Guess the city doesn't plow that particular stretch of sidewalk! So I was a fair bit slower than usual, but got in my 5+ miles. At least it was nice out, -2C, sunny, and almost no wind.

Upcoming Races:
    9/24 Heartbeat Run 10K 1:24:44 (11.1km)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K
    4/8/18 Jasper Half Marathon
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options

@katharmonic Added comment on the Aftershokz, since now that I caught up with the thread I found that a few people like them: I guess you will have to try - maybe if they have them in the shop make sure you can give them back if you don't like them? Since I don't use them, I would gladly send you mine, if you didn't live on another continent...

Aw thanks, @_nikkiwolf_ . I appreciated your comments because I'm worried about that. I will definitely have to try them out before buying , or go with something else.

@amymoreorless sorry your race didn't go the way you wanted it to today. Good job finishing after hitting a wall though! Sorry about the pain too, I don't have any experience with myofacial release, hope it eases up for you quickly.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless sorry the HM didn't turn out the way your wanted, still a great time. Love the medal and the shirt.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    11/1 = 10 miles
    11/2 = strength training
    11/3 = 5 miles
    11/4 = 19 miles
    11/5 = rest day
    11/6 = 4.5 miles and strength training
    11/7 = 8.5 miles
    11/8 = rest day
    11/9 = 6 miles
    11/10 = Vinyasa yoga class
    11/11 = 13 miles (New Braunsfelds Half)

Well, that race kinda sucked. I finished in 2 hours 14 minutes -- 10 minutes slower than last time. I hit a wall at mile 7. I don't know what was wrong with me. I think I probably went out a little too fast on the first half of the race in a quest to run a half in under two hours. It was also humid and temps were in the 70s. That definitely did not help. Ugh.

OH, and my hip is super sore from my PT session yesterday. The PT lady did this myofacial release thing on my hip flexers and lower back. Today it feels like someone beat me with a baseball bat. Has anyone ever had this done? Is it supposed to be this sore?!?

66/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    11/11 = New Braunfels Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon

@amymoreorless Oh, dear, your race sounds like so many HMs! I wish I knew how to avoid the bonking feeling after 12 km. Not to mention the heat!

The body just can't use fat/food as fast as it can use glycogen (hoping I'm understanding things correctly)!

Soreness after myotherapy / deep tissue massage is normal, I think. It's another form of DOMS. Still hurts like *kitten*!

No run today - did Laser Tag, Bumper cars, and glow in the dark miniature golf instead with my son. I think I made a good trade. :)

@PastorVincent I think that's the best cross training I've seen yet! :smiley:
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Nov. 11 - 2km elliptical
    MTD - 27km/80km
    Hopefully I'll get out for an actual run tomorrow. It's been -13°C the last couple of days and it's dark when I get home and I'm definitely not a morning person. Yes I realize those are excuses but I'm ok with that haha
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    November 1 — 4.16 miles
    November 2 — off
    November 3 — 4.1 miles
    November 4 — off
    November 5 — 9.22 miles
    November 6 — off
    November 7 — 4.11 miles
    November 8 — off
    November 9 — 4.1 miles
    November 10 — off
    November 11 — 4.1 miles

November total — 29.79/75 miles

Supposed to be a long run today, but at 8:30 am, the roads were icy. No thanks. They were clear by this evening, but I refuse to run on the trails I do my long runs on after dark. So just my regular 4 miles. Guess I need to invest in a headlamp. Either that or learn to accurately predict or control the weather.

The good news is I can make up my long run on Monday. Supposed to be 41 degrees and sunny. :) I’ll just need to make sure I get out by 4 pm.

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    11/10 - .85 mi walk, 3 mile run with a lot of calf stretching breaks, .85 mi walk

11/11 - 1 mi walk, 3 miles run with hills, 1 mi walk

Yesterday was like 45 degrees or something and I was pretty warm with a light jacket. So today was 57 and I went in short sleeves. I was freeeeezing the first 1.5 miles. What the heck?
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat - lol, yes I know what you mean... I can't imagine the day I can do a pull up! We'll have to come up with some other major goal after we hit that!

Fun bike ride today - but just as we were pulling into our neighborhood - it started raining. Fun on a run, not so fun on a bike. Tomorrow I have to work open house at my high school, so I will get a rare Sunday run in!

11/1 - 4 miles
    11/2 - Strength training - tabatas - push ups/pull ups/sit ups and wall squats
    11/3 - rest day and fly to NY!
    11/4 - 4.5 (5K and then a run from daughter’s apt to my hotel)
    11/5 - 5.0 Astoria run
    11/6 - 5.0 Astoria run #2
    11/7 - rest day and fly back to Orlando
    11/8 - Strength training/Tabatas - added in dips for 5 sets of tabatas.
    11/9 - 4 miles
    11/10 - 4 miles
    11/11 - 44 miles cycling

I/ITSEC 5K in Orlando - 11/29
    Daytona Beach HM - 2/4/19

exercise.png