Options

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Since I finished my last HM last Sunday, I am seriously cutting back my mileage for the rest of the year. I am looking at maintaining 20-25 mpw with a focus on strengthening and working on increasing my power with plyomteric style training. I will get back into the running groove after the first of the year when I begin training for my spring marathon. Currently on the schedule is the Flying Pig, but I am toying with the idea of running St Loius in early April as my A race instead, then doing the Pig as an easy race. I will see how this off-season goes first.
    I love the Flying Pig! I've done the 3-way challenge a couple of times but never the full.

So maybe you should make this your year! ;) The Pig is such a great race and this is the 20th anniversary so they are giving away jackets to finishers of the full, in addition to the already stellar swag. I really want to do it because it was my first full. Runners World consistently ranks the Pig among the top "first" marathons. Yeah, it's hilly, but all of the hills are on the first half of the course so you already know what they are about. But the crowd support, especially on the second half when you get out into the neighborhoods, more than makes up for it. I have done the full twice and the half once and it continues to be one of my favorite races.
    Oh so tempting but I'm already registered for the Pittsburgh HM and its the same weekend. :'(
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for November

11/1 5 miles - 5
    11/2 8 miles - 13
    11/3 REST DAY
    11/4 11.5 miles - 24.5
    11/5 REST DAY
    11/6 Lightening (no running)
    11/7 8 miles - 32.5
    11/8 4.75 miles - 37.25
    11/9 8 miles - 45.25
    11/10 REST DAY
    11/11 14 miles -59.25
    11/12 REST DAY
    11/13 7 miles - 66.25
    11/14 10 miles - 76.25
    11/15 5 miles - 81.25

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @WandaVaughn you'll be surprised how running with others will increase your speed, you'll be chatting all so you'll do great. Great run today!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Since I finished my last HM last Sunday, I am seriously cutting back my mileage for the rest of the year. I am looking at maintaining 20-25 mpw with a focus on strengthening and working on increasing my power with plyomteric style training. I will get back into the running groove after the first of the year when I begin training for my spring marathon. Currently on the schedule is the Flying Pig, but I am toying with the idea of running St Loius in early April as my A race instead, then doing the Pig as an easy race. I will see how this off-season goes first.
    I love the Flying Pig! I've done the 3-way challenge a couple of times but never the full.

So maybe you should make this your year! ;) The Pig is such a great race and this is the 20th anniversary so they are giving away jackets to finishers of the full, in addition to the already stellar swag. I really want to do it because it was my first full. Runners World consistently ranks the Pig among the top "first" marathons. Yeah, it's hilly, but all of the hills are on the first half of the course so you already know what they are about. But the crowd support, especially on the second half when you get out into the neighborhoods, more than makes up for it. I have done the full twice and the half once and it continues to be one of my favorite races.
    Oh so tempting but I'm already registered for the Pittsburgh HM and its the same weekend. :'(

Hey, maybe I will see you there. My wife, a coworker and I are all running the full this year.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat - you are probably right - I need to focus on one thing! I can’t wrap my head around that right now. I mean, I can, but I can't quite make a decision on where I want to focus. Thanks for the insight - it is helpful and I will try to figure it out. I'm having a mid-life crisis at the moment I think ...

@skippygirlsmom - lol, you are right too! No more books for me. WIth my new "no technology for an hour before bed routine ... I have to read old fashioned hardback or paperbacks".

@pastorVincent - that sounds like good advice on doing the strength on the days you do speed work. I may do the strong curves and then just do a speedy 3 miles on those days.

• skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I miss the old fashioned way of holding a book in my hands!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @eire228 Welcome to the group! I can relate to being a fair weather runner :-D Is it very cold where you live? 90% of the time I enjoy running outside no matter the weather, but convincing myself to get out the door is the problem. I have to remind myself I've run in similar weather before and it was fine. LOL
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks @greenolivetree! It's not too cold just yet, it will be in the low 40s when I get home, I think. The cold doesn't bother me so much, but I don't love running in the dark. I have good reflective gear and a headlamp, but I live in a rural part of Connecticut and it's not uncommon to come across bears and other night time critters! But I think I'd rather risk that than another day on the treadmill this week. :D
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Eire228 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm a little late in joining this, but I'm pumped that there's a running group here! I recently learned how to run properly for myself, thanks to the lovely folks on MFP, and I've been trying to do it more consistently. I know I'm going to have a hard time keeping up with it in the winter. I've always been a fair weather runner, but now that I actually like running, I don't want to lose my momentum.

My goal as of now is 15 miles a week, so 45 miles through the end of the month.

Ran 5 on the treadmill (ugh) on Monday, and trying to pump myself up for a cold, dark run tonight for 3 miles minimum. It will be worth it...it will be worth it...I just need to keep repeating that. :)

Welcome! Living in bear country should be OK in the near future....hibernation is a wonderful thing. Nice goal for the month, you'll do great! Also, there are a ton of very experienced runners on here, so if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask. I've learned TONS from the folks here.
  • bjderhak
    bjderhak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    9 miles today. (73 for the month, 150mile goal)
    2 mile warm up/easy run. Then intervals consisting of 3 min easy, 3 min moderate, 3 minutes hard, then a 1 min recovery. And ended with a final easy mile. Mile 5 had some rolling hills (florida standards) and mile 6 was a consistent 2% grade uphill so that got pretty intense :) Trying to work the muscles a bit along with endurance. Watched my pace slowly get higher and higher. Figure Ill do the same route a few weeks in a row and see if I progress.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @katharmonic height buddies! Race photos next to other women make me look like Brienne of Tarth for real :D

I hear that! Many of my friends make me feel like a hulking giant. Ah well. I comfort myself by thinking I run with long strides like a gazelle (ha!) and they can always find me in a crowd. :wink:

Edited to add what I came here to post:
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    11/01/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    11/02/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 2.7
    11/03/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 7.0
    11/04/17 :::: 7.6 :::: 14.6
    11/05/17 :::: 3.2 :::: 17.7
    11/06/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 20.7
    11/07/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 24.3
    11/08/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 24.3
    11/09/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 27.3
    11/10/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 27.3
    11/11/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 27.3
    11/12/17 :::: 13.2 :::: 40.5
    11/13/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 40.5
    11/14/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 40.5
    11/15/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 43.0

Just a short treadmill run today. Then had to get home and rake leaves while the weather was decent. Not quite done with that task but my arms are all shaky and tired. I hope it doesn't snow before I get back to it.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @WandaVaughn Enjoy your run with the running group! And congratulations on your new 5k PR :smile: That's quite a bit faster than 10:30 min/mile. If you can run 5km in under 30 minutes, you'll be fine with the running group, I'm sure!

@katharmonic I don't know why you're complaining - I've looked much worse in race photos :mrgreen: The second one looks like you're both enjoying running together, that's great!
    For me, the last race I did was the first time the photos look like I'm really running. They are actually quite nice (that's a first), but you have to pay 35 Euro (~40 USD) if you want to download them. Those prices are crazy! I'm pretty sure they'd earn more money if they charged less; I can't imagine anyone paying that amount of money for race photos.

@sarahthes Brrrr, that sounds really cold! Which new jacket did you buy for those temperatures?
    Regarding the glassses: If you don't want to buy anti-fog spray, I've once read that both dish liquid and shaving foam works too (just a tiny bit, let it dry then polish the glasses), because they change the surface tension of the water, so it doesn't form the tiny droplets that impair the vision. I've never tried it myself (contact lenses :wink: ), but at least it should be a cheap experiment.

@hjeppley A 10mi "fun" trail race sounds great! I hope you get a chance to run it.

@Eire228 Welcome! Reflective gear and a headlamp are a great start for a winter running outfil, I hope the bears will keep their distance!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Welp, not gonna be meeting my goal this month; doctor ordered at least a month of no weight-bearing exercise on my leg. He'll reassess again after that, but with the suspicion being a stress fracture, I see that changing into 3-4 months of no running. Yay me.

I guess it's time to start getting serious with the upper body workouts, and spending some quality time with the elliptical.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Nov. 15 - 1.3km very short easy 15min elliptical intervals
    MTD - 38.1km/80km
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    11/01 - Sick, forced rest day
    11/02 - 9 miles
    11/03 - 10 miles
    11/04 - 12 Miles @ 9:16
    11/05 - 11.5 miles @ 9:26
    11/06 - 6 Easy Miles
    11/07 - Missed Run
    11/08 - 8 Easy Miles @ 9:08 pace
    11/09 - 10.5 easy miles @ 8:59 pace
    11/10 - 7 Slack off miles @ 9:38 pace
    11/11 - Laser Tag, Mini Golf, and etc - aka "Cross training"
    11/12 - 12 miles @ 9:41
    11/13 - 11 miles @ 9:48
    11/14 - 10 miles @ 9:50
    11/15 - Strenght + 7 miles

Big Hary Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

Thanksgiving morning - Turkey Trot - Double Gobbler! (5K + 5 miles)
    12/02/17 - Santa 5k
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (or maybe 30K Still debating)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

Did my 20-30 mins of upper body strength work out followed by 7 lazy miles that I was overdressed for, but at least my fingers were toasty instead of frozen.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @garygse I'm really sorry to hear that.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ believe me, these were definitely the good pictures. I didn't post all the bad ones :)

@garygse I'm so sorry to hear about your suspected stress fracture! Take care of yourself on your forced rest - hopefully it won't be as long as you fear.