November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Thanks! That's awesome you have that at your work.

I'm getting used to the treadmill, and I like the ones at the gym because I get to run virtual trails all over the world, which keeps it pretty interesting. I don't love when the incline changes and the treadmill jolts up or down suddenly, but I'm getting used to it and haven't fallen off yet. That staircase machine is a whole other story. I will feel very accomplished if I use it regularly and become skilled at it.

@RespecttheKitty That's wonderful you got outside for a walk that turned into a run!
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Great 5 mi run this morning in the sunshine. So welcome after so many days of rain and clouds. Good PT sessions for 2 hours today--lots of scraping.

Goals this month: Do 1 shorter race, plan for spring racing (register for 2 races), 90 mi total

Day/Distance/Comments

11/1 Walked outside for 45 min + did my PT
    11/2 Ran 3.5 mi + walked 0.75 mi + PT
    11/3 Fail (intended to run but ran out of time before leaving town)
    11/4 Walked while out of town
    11/5 Ran 10 mi + stretched
    11/6 Water walked + stretched and foam rolled a bit
    11/7 Ran 3.5 mi + walked a bit
    11/8 Walked outside + getting back on track with PT
    11/9 Ran 5 mi + walked 1 mi + PT

Goal: 90 mi
    Total: 22 mi
    To go: 68 mi
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    01/11 3.64 miles
    02/11 3.61 miles
    04/11 4.18 miles - enjoyed 2days run, first that's felt normal in ages
    07/11 3.81 miles - lovely frosty evening
    08/11 4.20miles
    09/11 3.6 miles - Got rained on the whole time but like someone in an earlier post said about cold vs run - It was worth it!

exercise.png

@RespectTheKitty - I'm glad getting out made you feel a little bit better. I always think the 'getting out' is the hardest part.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @bjderhak Almost forgot to reply to this. This is just my personal experience but Skechers Go Walk type shoes are what seemed to start my PF about 4 years ago. My first ordeal with it was about 6 months and I had never even heard of it before. I tried everything I read online (stretching, icing, rolling), then 6 months later I got new shoes and magically the PF went away :-o Ever since then, if I try to go back to a memory foam type shoe, I get a flare up. I seem to do fine as long as I wear a sturdier type shoe instead of something soft, flexible, or flat. I have really tight calves and hamstrings also. I'm currently trying to switch to lower drop shoes which is causing a manageable flare since I'm only running a few miles in them every few days and not wearing them all the time.

@greenlikeatree i bought a few different versions of sketchers go walk shoes and flip flops for the cushioning. I used to wear nike memory foam sandals. For reference - I work at a poolside tiki bar so flip flops are a perfectly acceptable shoe choice. lol the floors are concrete except for a little anti fatigue mat by the register that i stand on whenever im standing still. I have extremely tight calves/hamstrings and I know this is contributing to the PF. I stretch and foam roll and do the golf ball thing but im sure not enough. I bought a night splint, helps for that morning pain but its uncomfortable. I have found that wearing compression socks at work tends to help with the tight calves. Its not unbearable pain (anymore) but its a constant nagging.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for November

11/1 5 miles - 5
    11/2 8 miles - 13
    11/3 REST DAY
    11/4 11.5 miles - 24.5
    11/5 REST DAY
    11/6 Lightening (no running)
    11/7 8 miles - 32.5
    11/8 4.75 miles - 37.25
    11/9 8 miles - 45.25

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18

Hi all. Sorry I been quiet all week. Work was busy.

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    11/1 - Started month with unplanned rest day. Damn I hate colds!
    11/2 - 5 miles on a perfect morning to run (43° F and little wind)
    11/3 - Unplanned rest day...can't shake this stupid virus!
    11/4 - 5.1 miles.
    11/5 - Planned rest day / church, etc.
    11/6 - 5.1 miles. A bit chilly for November...wind chill was 19° F.
    11/7 - 5 miles. A little warmer today.
    11/8 - Overslept and didn't have time to run :-(
    11/9 - 5 miles. Wind was brutal.

exercise.png
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Ryokat wrote: »
    @MobyCarp What exactly happened to your ankle anyway? I keep reading you mentioning it being injured, but obviously that happened before October when I started reading the monthly challenge threads.
    Orphia wrote: »
    Seconded, though I can't remember what happened. While we're on the subject... every day I see @MobyCarp post about his workout, then inevitably he/you post about your ankle hurting and having to ice it.

I hope you don't think I'm being confrontational, but I really wonder if you need to rest a lot longer, and get more tests done.

Also, isn't icing just preventing the natural healing process from happening? Assuming it's even an inflammation-based injury?

Sorry, Moby. I'd just hate to lose one of my major running inspirations due to permanent damage.

By popular demand (okay, because two people asked), here is a recap. I needed to work through how I think about this anyway.

I had been training for the Rochester Marathon in September, and got some niggles in my right Achilles. I kind of babied it along, backing off the effort some but not (in 20-20 hindsight) enough. Ran two races hard on Wednesday and Saturday of the same week in August. Finished 4th overall in Pound the Ground 10K, clinching my age group for the GRTC Runner of the Year series. Ran a respectable 19:47 in Bergen 5K, which I thought was a waste because I was only running to support the team, and we ended up not having a complete team anyway. Then next day it felt like I had an ankle sprain.

Verdict from the podiatrist was posterior tibial tendinitis, a probable partial tear of the PTT. He put me in a boot for about 2 weeks, and I went to physical therapy. Didn't run a step for over a month. DNS'd the Michigan Mile (last August), Oak Tree Half (September 2) and Rochester Marathon (September 16). Didn't register for 3 USATF national races in October.

On September 20, the podiatrist told me it was time to work through some discomfort - run some, get some deep tissue massage, break up the lesions that formed when resting/healing the PTT. He specifically told me to ice down the ankle after running; the sound track was that this is intended to prevent new lesions from forming. I haven't been terribly good at doing that when the ankle feels good, but I've been consistent when the ankle gives me any warning twinge at all. I set out to start from not much of anything and build up. I ran all of 21 miles in September, then got up to 36 miles per week by the end of October. Ran my first post-injury race on October 29, a 6K cross country effort on a nice soft course.

So . . . you know the classic movie pattern where the protagonist has a setback, then they show a few clips of abject failure, maybe a shot of mediocre ability to do something, then pick up the story again when the protagonist is able to train in earnest? Right now, I'm late in the period that lands on the cutting room floor. My training task is to work back up to real training, gradually enough so that I don't re-injure myself. The medical professionals can't tell me exactly how much to do; I have to figure that out on my own. This is difficult because there is no bell ringing when I get it right. There will only be pain for doing too much.

So I write out my thoughts after I run, because this helps me sort through how the ankle feels and what I need to do about it. I've been surprised several times, both by the ankle aching more than I expect and by it aching less than I expect. Last Saturday I was shocked that I needed to quit after 7 miles, even though there were twinges earlier than that. Yesterday evening went about how I expected, no complaints from the ankle during but some muttering afterward. This evening I was surprised that I ran 7 miles and the ankle acted . . . like it was totally healthy.

I know the ankle is not yet totally healthy. I don't have a good measurement of how close it is. So I do what I can, and adjust what I do based on how the ankle feels, hoping to get it close enough. There is no way I can get it down perfectly. I see some things that seem to be correlated with more or less aching, but each run is different enough from any other that I'm not totally sure about causality.

And you all just have to live with the fact that I post these musings. Either that, or skip past what I write to read the next amusing story about trail runners.

@MobyCarp I love your "musings"!!! It actually gives great insight to newbies like me. Thank you for being here and sharing your knowledge. Good and bad as it may be, it is still very helpful!
  • seanevan10
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    In theory, trail running is something that I would enjoy, but I live in the foothills near Denver, CO, so trail running here is really code for "running up a big *kitten* mountain." I wish we had flat, meandering dirt paths with a few rolling hills baked in, but nope, we have the Rocky *kitten* Mountains.

@fitoverfortymom - not too far from Denver - depending on where in Denver you are, I guess... is the Greenland open space at larkspur. I have ran a trail race there twice- the race course has one pretty good "fml" type hill, but other wise it's nice rolling trail track type stuff.... and it has lots of trail choices other than the way they take the race route.

Fair warning, it can look like either of the pics below the end of April... so I would perhaps investigate it this next summer??? And not put it down for a mid winter activity.

bu180afcvb1p.jpg

Larkspur is where they have the Colorado Renaissance Festival every year! That area is GORGEOUS!
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    November 1 - 16.5 km run / strength training
    November 2 - rest day
    November 3 - 16.5 km run
    November 4 - Strength training
    November 5 - 5 km club/14 km run
    November 6 - 19 km run
    November 7 - 21 km run
    November 8 - Strength training
    November 9 - 16.5 km run
    November 10 - 21.5 km run

130 km completed - 220 km to goal
  • seanevan10
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    November 1 – 5.28 miles
    November 3 – 5.01 miles
    November 5 – 17.13 miles (trail run from Damascus to White Top, VA – all up hill!)
    November 6 – 4.35 miles
    November 8 – 6 miles

I'm late to the game but my goal for November is 120 miles. I've lurked here off and on for several months but decided to take the leap and join in. I'm a slow runner and hesitate to tell people that I'm a runner. I always get those up and down looks - yes, I know I don't look like the typical lean mean running machine, but I do what I can. Looking forward to the support and accountability!

Heading to Richmond this weekend to run the half. I was signed up for the full (did it in 2014) but after running the Detroit full last month, I swore off them for a while!

Teresa

I am slow too. And don't look like a runner either. Still trying to lose weight while I'm at it. Welcome.
  • bjderhak
    bjderhak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree i honestly cant point to a single thing that may have caused the PF. I know that for as long as I can remember I had the tightness and "tingling" when I first got out of bed in the morning - so much so that I thought this was normal! lol I thought everyones feet felt like that after sleeping. The actual pain started just this past spring. I even ran a marathon in march with no problems. But april/may ish it became painful and then bad enough I went to a doc (which i hadnt been to in 10 years!!) I wear Altra running shoes. They are zero drop but they are what I have always worn. Ive even done a bit of barefoot running with no problems at all. It could very well be the memory foam type shoes I wear at work. I guess Im not sure what would be best standing on concrete floors all day. Unless they want to cushion the floors for me?! lol
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    November Goal: 75 miles.

11/01 - 8.0 mi - 09:15/mi - 149 AHR
    11/03 - 6.3 mi - 08:39/mi - 153 AHR
    11/04 - 3.0 mi - 08:56/mi - 141 AHR
    11/05 - 8.0 mi - 08:47/mi - 145 AHR
    11/07 - 5.0 mi - 09:27/mi - 141 AHR
    11/09 - 5.0 mi - 09:16/mi - 141 AHR

35.3/75 miles

Has been a weird month for me so far. Had to do some traveling to Dallas and St. Louis, so have been moving my running schedule around that and just feel a little out of sorts after being in such a routine.

I'm only a couple weeks away from my 2nd HM and I think I'm going to take a peek at the beginning/end of the course on one of my 8 mi runs this weekend to at least prepare myself mentally for "the hill"...

I'm already getting questions from friends and family on if/when I'm going to attempt a full marathon and the answer to this point has been that I don't have the time to put in that kind of training... but then I looked at one of Hal's plans and the midweek mileage peaks at 8 miles, which is doable and still get to work, with the bulk of the increased mileage on the long runs on Sundays. I'm not going to put the cart before the horse and make a decision now, will see how this HM goes and go from there. That being said, I have taken a look at my options in the area and could do a full instead of half for the Garmin marathon next year (April) as they have changed the course anyway, or do a full for the KC marathon in Oct. I am leaning towards the former because: 1) training in the cooler winter/spring sounds more pleasing that during the hot and humid summer/fall; 2) probably due to the heat, there aren't any options for a HM to fit in during the training for the latter. However, I really do like the course they have lined out for the KC marathon. Now, I know many of you will tell me to just to do both... lol.

2017 Races
    02/25/17 - 26:06 - 5K Mardi Gras (not official course)
    04/01 - 53:23 - 10K Jadon's Hope Bug Run (1st)
    04/22 - 1:58:24 HM Garmin Oz Run (1st and PR)
    06/18 - 54:04 - 10K Father's Day Run (gun time)
    08/05 - 24:02 - 5K Spencer Duncan
    09/16 - 52:01 - 10K Kade Meyer Celebration Run (PR)
    10/01 - 40:24 - 8K WWI Museum Double run (5K-25:53/3K-15:01)
    10/07 - 23:37 - 5K Jared Coons Pumpkin Run (PR)
    10/14 - 28:00 - 5K AIM Melanoma Virtual

11/19 - HM Pilgrim Pacer
    11/23 - 8K STL Turkey Trot
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    bjderhak wrote: »
    @greenolivetree i honestly cant point to a single thing that may have caused the PF. I know that for as long as I can remember I had the tightness and "tingling" when I first got out of bed in the morning - so much so that I thought this was normal! lol I thought everyones feet felt like that after sleeping. The actual pain started just this past spring. I even ran a marathon in march with no problems. But april/may ish it became painful and then bad enough I went to a doc (which i hadnt been to in 10 years!!) I wear Altra running shoes. They are zero drop but they are what I have always worn. Ive even done a bit of barefoot running with no problems at all. It could very well be the memory foam type shoes I wear at work. I guess Im not sure what would be best standing on concrete floors all day. Unless they want to cushion the floors for me?! lol

You should have fatigue mats. They are inexpensive. Might make the suggestion.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was 1.6km (15 min elliptical program) so my total is 21.7km/80km. I was feeling absolutely dreadful after the elliptical yesterday and left work early today so no run for me... Probably a good thing since it's thundering and lightning right now and snowing. Such weird weather for November in Eastern Ontario
  • bjderhak
    bjderhak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    bjderhak wrote: »

You should have fatigue mats. They are inexpensive. Might make the suggestion.

Yeah there is one i use if im standing in one place for a length of time but for the most part its a lot of moving around (bar/kitchen area) Ive heard so many people just deal with PF pain forever on and off. Its def. not the worst injury i think is out there. Im just hoping to hold tight through Jan 28 for my marathon