November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I am so behind, but I just finished the 10k. Thank you for the advice on bridging into the 10miles I wanted for my long run I wanted. I did an out and back on the last 2 miles of the course, came back to pee and a quick stretch and then ran the 10k. Wasn't looking for it, but improved my time by about a minute. Feel great.

That sounds like about the best outcome you could ask for. Great running!
  • bjderhak
    bjderhak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat Hubby golfed this morning. They told him runners can use cart paths early am before first tee time and at nt when golfers are finished but by no means ever to run on the green. Which sucks cuz the greens are such a soft forgiving surface. Lol.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    @cameronheel That's AMAZING. You blew my HM PR out of the water on your first one. Awesome running!

Thanks, I am really surprised I did so well.

I am always in awe of the mileage totals you put up and don’t ever think I could match that type of endurance. I have signed up for a marathon in March and that will be my max distance I will ever shoot for. Right now I feel pretty good but I can’t fathom doubling the race distance I just ran. I have a lot of work to do to get there.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Short race report.
    Turkey Trot HM in Pinehurst NC
    The race was the best organized event I have been in. You can tell they have been putting it on for 37 years.

Very happy with the race itself. Course was in rolling hills and I can see why golf course designers love the area, but for me not knowing the course some of the hills were a nasty surprise. My initial goal I set when I signed up for the race was to break 2 hours, but after training and running a 1:54 I really wanted to shoot for a 1:50. Perfect weather for running at around 50 and sunny at race start and I was able to maintain a pace of b/t 7 and 8 min miles for the majority of the race, and far exceed my expectations with a time of 1:43. Very happy for it being my first half. 18th overall and 3rd in the 50-59 age group.

Hope everyone else running this week has a great time. Good luck to all.

Wow! That is awesome. Congratulations.
  • cameronheel
    Options
    Short race report.
    The race was the best organized event I have been in. You can tell they have been putting it on for 37 years.

Very happy with the race itself. Course was in rolling hills and I can see why golf course designers love the area, but for me not knowing the course some of the hills were a nasty surprise. My initial goal I set when I signed up for the race was to break 2 hours, but after training and running a 1:54 I really wanted to shoot for a 1:50. Perfect weather for running at around 50 and sunny at race start and I was able to maintain a pace of b/t 7 and 8 min miles for the majority of the race, and far exceed my expectations with a time of 1:43. Very happy for it being my first half. 18th overall and 3rd in the 50-59 age group.

Thanks, How did your half marathon go. I hope you met your goals and got that post race beer.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @cameronheel That's AMAZING. You blew my HM PR out of the water on your first one. Awesome running!

Thanks, I am really surprised I did so well.

I am always in awe of the mileage totals you put up and don’t ever think I could match that type of endurance. I have signed up for a marathon in March and that will be my max distance I will ever shoot for. Right now I feel pretty good but I can’t fathom doubling the race distance I just ran. I have a lot of work to do to get there.

I said marathon was going to be my max distance too..... You have plenty of time to get ready for a March full. You got this!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Congrats @cameronheel! Fantastic performance! I'd like to do a marathon too, but that idea of running twice as long as I ever have is so very daunting. Glad you had a great race today!
  • cameronheel
    Options
    Short race report.

Thanks, How did your half marathon go. I hope you met your goals and got that post race beer.

It went really well thanks. I was hoping to get a time of around 2:15:00, but my training for the last couple of weeks wasn't as good as I had planned so I was a bit concerned I wouldn't manage it. My last half was six years ago and my PB was 2:26:32. And even though I'm six years older, my running has obviously improved because I finished in 2:10:46, which made that post-race beer taste even sweeter.

The course was lovely. Three miles on a bike trail, then some very pretty residential street running, and back onto the bike trail for the last three miles. Up hill from miles 2-5 which I knew was going to happen so it didn't come as a shock. The rest was downhill and the finish was flat. Plenty of Gatorade and water stations, and Gu sachets at mile 7.

The official results aren't available on-line yet, but I think I came fourth in my age-group which I'm pretty pleased about.

Awesome result. You definitely deserved that beer!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Wow, great job @BruinsGal_91! Congrats on a great new PB and 4th in your age group! Impressive!
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Nov. 18 - 3.8km elliptical
    MTD - 41.9
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @cameronheel and @BruinsGal_91 Wow, you both did amazing HMs!!
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    Great job on your HMs @BruinsGal_91 and @cameronheel!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    11/1 - cross training (hubby calls that particular DVD 'Stepford Aerobics')
    11/2 - 3.9km
    11/3 - rest
    11/4 - 3.9km
    11/5 - rest
    11/6 - crosstraining
    11/7 - 6.9km
    11/8 - rest
    11/9 - 5.7km
    11/10 - rest
    11/11 - 8.7km
    11/12 - rest
    11/13 - rest
    11/14 - 6.6 km
    11/15 - rest
    11/16 - lazy
    11/17 - 5.4km made it up
    11/18 - 10.3km

51.4/70km

Should have brought my headlamp - I forget how quickly it gets dark this time of year. Did fh10.3km, which is my longest distance since my 10K race in September. Feeling pretty good overall, and kept a consistent pace other than having to stop for a zillion traffic lights. I went past a meandering trail that appears to follow a bit of a creek - had it been earlier in the day or had I had my headlamp I would have followed it. I think it connects to one of my out and back routes for a total of about 11km - which is about the distance I need in a couple weeks so if weather is good I will do it then.

Upcoming Races:
    9/24 Heartbeat Run 10K 1:24:44 (11.1km)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K
    4/8/18 Jasper Half Marathon
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K