11/12 - 4 miles
    11/13 - 0 miles
    11/14 - 7 miles
    11/15 - 5 miles
    11/16 – 0 miles
    11/17 – 0 miles
    11/18 – 6 miles

60 of 100 miles

Ran today with my friend we are about the same pace so it was nice. She ran 4 and I did an additional 2.

I’d appreciate if you all could keep a good thought for me. After 30 years working for the same company my boss came in at 3:30 on Friday and informed me that because I make “so much” money and my time isn’t billed directly back to a project I’m going to lose my job. She thinks I have until February. Thank you very much 30 years and you all F me. Hello I make what I do because I work hard and have been here for 30 freaking years, what do you expect me to make $30,000 year. I talked to someone I do quite a bit of work for there and she has a direct project I can charge some time to, but I’m not sure how much I need before the company will back off. Meanwhile I’m already sending out my resume and the company my friend works for has wanted me in the past so hopefully they still will. The only downfall is losing 20 days of vacation to move on. Not the best news for a single mom with a kid getting ready for college to hear.

@cameronheel fantastic HM!!
    @JessicaMcB I completely HATE snow, but your pictures are so pretty
    Awesome @BruinsGal_91
    Great run @MobyCarp
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Big hug to you and I'm so sorry. You will be in my prayers <3

@orphia Perhaps your body has adapted and isn't burning as many calories. You could try cutting 500 calories per week and see what happens.

11/18 - .85 mile walk, 3.5 mi run,.65 mile walk

• cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Geez, hate to hear that about your job. Hope everything works the out the best for you. Higher management just doesn’t make rational decisions sometimes.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I'm so sorry about your job. That was my biggest fear for the last 15 years or so of my career, that one day I would be told my services were no longer required. It seems to be normal in American business now, and that's something I don't particularly like about the American business culture.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Oh crap, @skippygirlsmom ! I hope you find somewhere that appreciates you.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Awful. I hope its one of those things that turns out for the best, more money, better work, and benefits down the road. Sorry that sounds like such a cliche. But really hope it opens doors where you are better off. And f them.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I just ordered "Relentless Forward Progress" (guide to running ultra-marathons)...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1891369903?tag=viglink20329-20
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Can't find my last post right now, so it's just today...
    11/18 - 1.15 mi on the treadmill in my hotel... rest of day spent in the car. I'll run tomorrow!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Been through the " Layoff Nightmare " twice. The initial shock is the kicker, give yourself time to re-evaluate before making quick decisions.
    Some times management needs a refresher on all the projects and activities that us mere mortals are doing because it's usually not really covered in the yearly employee reviews.

9.6 km slog through the fresh - loose - unstable snow. It was like running on a beach above the tide line where the sand gets chewed up by all the people walking on it. My body is still fighting me after the 7 hills challenge last month. As one of my running club friends said we did the equivalent of a marathon effort when you add in the hills so expect a extended recovery period. First run in a full week so way below goal estimates. No chance of meeting goal unless I rip off a few @JessicaMcB 50km dash's.

exercise.png

11/04 6.2 km – 143.8 km - MTD 006.2 km
    11/08 5.0 km – 138.8 km - MTD 011.2 km
    11/09 5.0 km – 133.8 km - MTD 016.2 km
    11/12 10.0 km – 123.8 km - MTD 026.2 km
    11/18 9.6 km – 114.2 km - MTD 035.8 km – YTD 1237.27 km
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Plyometrics are probably a great idea! I've got no recommendations yet, but I started looking for a good training program or workout too this week. For a different reason - I went indoor bouldering, and one of my friends was doing a route where the next handhold was so high you had to jump. He could do it easily, I came at least 30cm short. Granted, he's taller than me, but not *that* much taller. Something to work on!
    I'm just worried that the poor people living in the apartment under mine won't think this is such a great idea...

@seanevan10 Wow! When is the date for your triathlon?

@Orphia If you are worried about your weight and not sure if it's muscle: what about your measurements? Or if you don't track those, do your clothes still fit? I have a pair of "a-tiny-bit-too-tight" jeans - when they start being "really-too-tight" jeans, I know it's time to eat less chocolate for a while until they fit again. :wink:
    Great Sunday morning run!

@cameronheel Congratulations, what a brilliant race result!!

@fitoverfortymom Great result on the 10k!

@BruinsGal_91 Congratulations on the new PR!

@JessicaMcB Love your icy forest photos :heart:

@HonuNui What a lovely beach! Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

@Skippygirlsmom oh no, what a shock! I can't believe that they would do that after you are already in the company for so long! Even if a new employee might earn less, don't they realise how hard it will be to find somebody with the same level of knowledge and experience? That seems so short-sighted and stupid. I really hope all works out well for you!

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @hjeppley Great race!!

--

To weight in belated on the clothing/temperature discussion: it was around 4°C (~40F), and I was wearing a long-sleeved shirt, a (super-light) jacket and shorts for my long run. But only because the shorts were new and I wanted to try them out right away.
    Usually it would habe been too cold for my taste to run in shorts, but I found some knitted legwarmers that went from my ankles almost to my knees, and the outfit was complete. I was planning to spend most of the time in the forest, so I didn't worry too much about being pulled over by the fashion police. :tongue:

I also took my lightest pair of gloves, but it was that in-between temperature where I kept taking them off / pulling them on in 10 minute intervals.
    Fortunately I was wearing them when I tripped over a rock and fell, so only my knees have bloody scratches now. I don't think I would have overlooked that rock under most circumstances, but I was distracted staring up at this:

kajqxo0oyzkw.jpg

A solar-powered garbage can. That someone pulled up into a tree and secured the chains with two padlocks.
    I have no idea what it is good for. The largest animals we have are boar, you don't need to secure garbage cans against them like with bears. And there were no houses around.
    Maybe for hunters, or environmental monitoring? Any other guesses?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @hjeppley Congrats on your race! Well done!

@_nikkiwolf_ I have no idea, but looks like there is a spout on the bottom, so maybe a feeder?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom ACK! So sorry to hear this. I think you are being wise starting to look for a new job now and not waiting to see what happens. Hopefully, you can spin this into a good thing with a better job someplace.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @hjeppley Great race!!

--

To weight in belated on the clothing/temperature discussion: it was around 4°C (~40F), and I was wearing a long-sleeved shirt, a (super-light) jacket and shorts for my long run. But only because the shorts were new and I wanted to try them out right away.
    Usually it would habe been too cold for my taste to run in shorts, but I found some knitted legwarmers that went from my ankles almost to my knees, and the outfit was complete. I was planning to spend most of the time in the forest, so I didn't worry too much about being pulled over by the fashion police. :tongue:

I also took my lightest pair of gloves, but it was that in-between temperature where I kept taking them off / pulling them on in 10 minute intervals.
    Fortunately I was wearing them when I tripped over a rock and fell, so only my knees have bloody scratches now. I don't think I would have overlooked that rock under most circumstances, but I was distracted staring up at this:

kajqxo0oyzkw.jpg

A solar-powered garbage can. That someone pulled up into a tree and secured the chains with two padlocks.
    I have no idea what it is good for. The largest animals we have are boar, you don't need to secure garbage cans against them like with bears. And there were no houses around.

It looks like it's designed to dispense something. I'd say it looks like a bird feeder, except who builds one that big? Salt for deer or cattle? I don't know.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom so sorry to hear about your job woes. We went through the same thing with my husband. He'd worked for the company for 30 years and got laid off. All that valuable knowledge and experience gone, just to save a few bucks. As @cameronheel and @mobycarp said, management sometimes make really dumb decisions. Fingers crossed you can get things sorted out.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I'm so sorry to hear about your job. Hoping for the best for you in working this out or getting a new job. I'm sorry, that is so very stressful.

Great race @hjeppley! Congrats to you and your son. Love the fork medal :)

Interesting "thing" @_nikkiwolf_ . No ideas on what that might be, but I agree it looks to dispense something. Sorry about the scraped knees. You should have posted a pic of your legwarmer outfit - sounds awesome!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @hjeppley Great race!!

--

kajqxo0oyzkw.jpg

It looks like it's designed to dispense something. I'd say it looks like a bird feeder, except who builds one that big? Salt for deer or cattle? I don't know.

Looks like a deer feeder... You feed them then they are use to eatting there, and you come back during hunting season and shoot them. Y'all city folk... Hahaha.

ETA ever hear Ron Whites account of getting a deer? With his van? Hahaha!