November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

So beautiful, @JessicaMcB. Bravo on getting into Women's Running!
  • Orphia
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    'Ello everybody! I've been MIA for a solid month. Hope everyone's doing splendidly! Just been running every day and *kitten* *kitten* up when I can! I met someone through Strava and so far it's been crazy good! I'm running a 5k this Saturday and I'm intending to break 20 minutes to open my training for a BQ run March 4th (One City 3:11). Wish me luck. I'm going to try my damndest to catch up with you runs of *kitten*!
    Thank you lporter229! You, MobyCarp, and this girl I started dating have honestly been my sole inspiration for Boston. I feel like its reachable now! Hopefully my body agrees. Thank you all!

@ctlaws44 I :heart: this!!! Meeting someone on Strava! I love Strava so much, and now I love it even more!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November goal 100miles, at least 1mpd

11/1 4.43
    11/2 2.25
    11/3 6.35
    11/4 2.25
    11/5 4.50
    11/6 2.22 + snorkel 3.5hours
    11/7 7.00
    11/8 2.32
    11/9 4.13
    11/10 2.72
    11/11 4.00
    11/12 5.23
    11/13 2.40
    11/14 4.30
    11/15 5.21
    11/16 2.10
    11/17 snorkel 4 hours
    11/18 6.32
    11/19 2.32
    11/20 5.14
    11/21 4.35
    11/22 3.15
    11/23 6.33
    11/24 2.16
    11/25 4.15
    11/26 3.12
    11/27 just couldn't
    11/28 4.15
    11/29 4.97 (?!)

Total: 103.57

@Elise4270 hugs for lots of reasons....

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Phoenix Women's 10k 1/28/18
  • Orphia
    Options
    November 2017 Runs

02 Nov – 8 km
    04 Nov – 5 km parkrun
    05 Nov – 35 km – The Bloody Long Walk walk/run
    07 Nov – 3.2 km
    08 Nov – 10 km
    09 Nov – 12 km
    10 Nov – 7 km
    12 Nov – 18 km
    15 Nov – 5 km
    16 Nov – 10 km
    18 Nov – 5 km parkrun
    19 Nov – 24 km
    21 Nov – 6 km
    24 Nov – 9.2 km
    25 Nov – 5 km parkrun
    26 Nov – 10 km
    28 Nov – 10 km
    30 Nov – 5.1 km

TOTAL: 188 km
    TOTAL INJURIES: NONE!

Happy with that! A nice month.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

11/1: 10k -Easy-
    11/3: 12.1k -Easy+strides-
    11/4: 14.4k -w/u, Intervals, c/d-
    11/5: 20.2k -Long run-
    11/6: 10.1k -Easy-
    11/9: 8.16k -Tempo-
    11/11: 16.2k -w/u, Intervals, c/d-
    11/12: 18.2k -Long Run-
    11/13: 3.3k -as a warmup for strength training-
    11/14: 7.5k -Progressions-
    11/15: 13.5 -w/u, intervals, c/d-
    11/16: 4.1k -as w/u, strength training, c/d-
    11/17: 13k -Intervals-
    11/19: 10.2k -Easy-
    11/20: 4k -as w/u, strength training, c/d-
    11/22: 10.1k -Tempo-
    11/23: 4.3k -as w/u, strength training, c/d-
    11/24: 8.2k -Easy-
    11/25: 6.4k -shake out run-
    11/26: 23.9k -w/u, Half Marathon Race-
    11/27: 1.7k -as w/u for trength training-
    11/29: 6.8k -as w/u, strength training, c/d-
    11/30: 8.0k -Easy-

So, last run for this month. Chistmas are coming yaaay!!

234.8k/200k

Stay hydrated!

Upcoming races:
    9/16: 4th Kavala Night City Run 10k: 49:47 (new PR)
    9/24: Xiropotamos Trail 2017 11k: 1:17:59
    10/1: Voreia Sirris Challenge 23k: Not registered
    10/15: Nestos Trail VFUT 10k: 49:51
    11/26: 4th Democritus Half Marathon 21k: 1:52:35 (new PR)
    12/10: Valdirkeia Run10k
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    'Ello everybody! I've been MIA for a solid month. Hope everyone's doing splendidly! Just been running every day and *kitten* *kitten* up when I can! I met someone through Strava and so far it's been crazy good! I'm running a 5k this Saturday and I'm intending to break 20 minutes to open my training for a BQ run March 4th (One City 3:11). Wish me luck. I'm going to try my damndest to catch up with you runs of *kitten*!
    Thank you lporter229! You, MobyCarp, and this girl I started dating have honestly been my sole inspiration for Boston. I feel like its reachable now! Hopefully my body agrees. Thank you all!

@ctlaws44 I :heart: this!!! Meeting someone on Strava! I love Strava so much, and now I love it even more!

@ctlaws44 I'm not sure why I feel twinge of jealousy... Good for you Ol' buddy Ol' pal. :wink:

Think you could find someone to take DH off my hands on Strava? :grin: oh now I see why I'm jealous. I got a dud. Haha!

Thanks @HonuNui !
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    November 2017 Runs

02 Nov – 8 km
    04 Nov – 5 km parkrun
    05 Nov – 35 km – The Bloody Long Walk walk/run
    07 Nov – 3.2 km
    08 Nov – 10 km
    09 Nov – 12 km
    10 Nov – 7 km
    12 Nov – 18 km
    15 Nov – 5 km
    16 Nov – 10 km
    18 Nov – 5 km parkrun
    19 Nov – 24 km
    21 Nov – 6 km
    24 Nov – 9.2 km
    25 Nov – 5 km parkrun
    26 Nov – 10 km
    28 Nov – 10 km

Today's 10 km was cooler, and very enjoyable.

Look what I saw:

OWMGTTh.jpg

I love alpacas!
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    So I think I have my first real running injury in a long time. I've been having some issues with my right foot for a couple weeks. More specifically my big toe back where it connects to the heel. I thought I just sprained or bruised the muscle/tendon because I do a lot of trail running out here and we have a lot of rocks that just love to jump up and catch you in the arch. Unfortunately I looked at my feet this morning with my weight off of them and noticed the right doesn't match the left anymore, I've got a hard protrusion off to the inside. I asked my wife if it looked odd to her and she said "what this?" as she pressed on it and I about peed myself so there is an issue.

Now my wife is making me go to the doctor to get it checked out.

My biggest fear is that there is an issue that will take time to heal and I have a 50k race at the end of January, depending on the heal time this may kill the race. While I will wait to hear what the doctor says I do have a few questions for the group.

I've been running on this injury, if it isn't catastrophic should I just keep going and heal as I run? That way I can keep the training going and still make the race. My mental game is stupid strong so running while injured is pretty easy (this can also backfire as many here know).

If it is catastrophic how do I keep myself for getting super bummed out as I watch all my training go down the drain?

Is there any way to salvage a last second training plan if I can heal up in time?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I gave up my 9 mile run last night and had another unplanned rest day. I suppose I should have done some core work instead.

My knee felt pretty good all day but when I got out of my truck at home I felt a twinge of pain, enough to make me decide to wait another day. More ice, more ibuprofen. At this moment I'm undecided about tonight's run. Or perhaps I should get my son's new bike properly lit and go for a bike ride instead.

The pain isn't much and is probably something I could run through, but I recognize this pain as having to do with my meniscus and that gets me worried. I had this knee scoped out about 10 or 12 years ago and they removed a fair amount of torn meniscus and I'm concerned that I may need another clean up. If there still some pain Monday I'm making an appointment with the doc.

Kitten!!!
  • seanevan10
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

Great story!!! Got all the feels going.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    So I think I have my first real running injury in a long time. I've been having some issues with my right foot for a couple weeks. More specifically my big toe back where it connects to the heel. I thought I just sprained or bruised the muscle/tendon because I do a lot of trail running out here and we have a lot of rocks that just love to jump up and catch you in the arch. Unfortunately I looked at my feet this morning with my weight off of them and noticed the right doesn't match the left anymore, I've got a hard protrusion off to the inside. I asked my wife if it looked odd to her and she said "what this?" as she pressed on it and I about peed myself so there is an issue.

My biggest fear is that there is an issue that will take time to heal and I have a 50k race at the end of January, depending on the heal time this may kill the race. While I will wait to hear what the doctor says I do have a few questions for the group.

I've been running on this injury, if it isn't catastrophic should I just keep going and heal as I run? That way I can keep the training going and still make the race. My mental game is stupid strong so running while injured is pretty easy (this can also backfire as many here know).

If it is catastrophic how do I keep myself for getting super bummed out as I watch all my training go down the drain?

Is there any way to salvage a last second training plan if I can heal up in time?

You realize you're asking a bunch of running addicts if you should continue to run, right?

If you can run on it relatively pain free, I say keep at it. The damage is done. It's probably not going to get better without medical intervention. Can it get worse? Probably. But that is a risk you are going to have to decide if it's worth taking. Given you'll obviously be down to recover later, I say keep at it, least until the doc visit.

Injuries will get to a point where rest is obvious. Kinda late to to be heading something off.

Keep us updated. I hope it's as simple as these things get.

Not a doctor. Just my 2¢
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Your doctor will advise you what your best course is, but I would suggest you stay off it till then. If you have access to a lap pool, maybe try swimming to keep cardio conditioning up?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Unfortunately there's no way for us to know if you should keep running on it or not. It could very well be a stress fracture, in which case you would NOT want to run on it.

My suggestion would be to stop running until you see the doctor. Ideally you find a doctor which understands runners. The doc will be the only one who can give you proper advise.

Until then, go biking or swimming. When you take an extended break, your cardio fitness decreases faster than your bone and tendon strength. If you can keep up some cardio by biking or swimming there's a chance that when your foot heals, you won't be too far behind in training.

Good luck with that! I hope you get it resolved quickly.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Ran 3 tough miles this morning.

Monday I had the bright idea to do a strength training dvd. It felt like nothing. Yesterday I was kind of sore, and after a terrible night's sleep, decided to have a rest day. This morning I got up and was even more sore. I kicked myself all the way to the track and ran anyway. Not sure if I want to do that dvd again or not. Hmmm.

@WandaVaughn What you experienced sound like what is called DOMS or Delayed Onset Muscular Syndrome.

Your body will have a delayed reaction to new or excessive stress. Your reaction could be a little bit of both. Strength training (in a general sense) would be a good idea for injury prevention for weak and unbalanced muscles. I would encourage you to give it another go but be mindful of the intensity. If there is a way to decrease the intensity of the exercise until your body gets used to the workout, you may want to follow that. The more you do it, the less sore you should feel the next time around.

It might be DOMS... I never really understood it but maybe my personal experence will help.

So my first marathon. I was so beat up by it that I could not step up on to the sidewalk after the race, but as the day wore on I got to feeling better. I was walking around doing normal things but when the DOMS hit it was around 2am. My left leg hurt so badly that it woke me up and I was considering going to the hospital. No one had warned me about DOMS. It really was NOT FUNNY at all. That pain stuck with me a while and faded as expected from normal soreness.

I still do not understand the WHY, but yeah, DOMS is real and it SUCKS.

The article I linked is all about no one really understands DOMS.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    There ya go @Azercord . Run, don't run. :smile:

The pool sounds like an excellent suggestion. You may consider hitting reset on your training and get healed up .
  • seanevan10
    Options
    I finally finished the 15 pages I was behind. Not much to report. I was doing well on my streak til new years but I got sick. I have strep. After the dr came yesterday saying I had strep, I said "Can I still run?" She didn't look amused. Must not be a runner.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I thought this was funny, how to insult your runners. The article tells the whole story but this is the list they sent out to participants.

"We ask that the better runners move to the front. The better runners are wearing a tank top that says 'Runner's Edge,' and looking at their watch. In addition, they are often skinny."

"You should stand towards the back if the following is true about you:
    - You are wearing the shirt we gave you;

- You are wearing a sweatshirt with a hood;
    - You purchased your sneakers at Kohl's;
    - You were eating a bagel before the race;
    - You are capable of drinking water at the water stop because you have stopped to drink water at the water stop; and
    - You are hoping to finish in under one hour..."

http://abc7ny.com/community-events/runners-offended-by-massapequa-turkey-trots-facebook-post/2685130/http://abc7ny.com/2685130/

We were laughing Monday night because they sent out an email about wearing light colors so you could be seen easier, yet their tech shirts they gave were black :wink:

Am I a jerk if I find that both insensitive and funny as heck? LOL
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 8 miles
    11/2 - 0 miles
    11/3 - 0 miles
    11/4 - 3 miles of horrible
    11/5 – 10 miles of awesome
    11/6 – 0 miles
    11/7 – 6 miles
    11/8 - 0 miles
    11/9 – 5 miles
    11/10 – 6 miles
    11/11 - 0 miles state XC meet
    11/12 - 4 miles
    11/13 - 0 miles
    11/14 - 7 miles
    11/15 - 5 miles
    11/16 – 0 miles
    11/17 – 0 miles
    11/18 – 6 miles
    11/19 – 5 miles
    11/20 - 0 miles
    11/21 - 7 miles
    11/22 - 0 miles
    11/23 - 3.1 miles Turkey Trot 5K 5th AG
    11/24 - 3 miles
    11/25 - 6 miles with Skip
    11/26 - 3 miles painful slow miles ha ha
    11/27 - 3.19 :smile: Galaxy of Lights 5K
    11/28 - 0 miles
    11/29 - 6 miles
    11/30 - 4 miles and that is goal - exactly

100 of 100 miles

exercise.png

Pretty morning 55F, it was nice until the pit bull. This dog scares me to death after he attacked me, Skip and Macy last year. I went passed the house on my way home (can't avoid the house) and he was outside at first he was behind the wooden fence but he managed to make his way around to the chain link fence and all I could hear in the dark was him growling and trying to get under the fence. I think my next 1/4 mile was at a 5:05 pace. I was standing outside 30 mins later and he was still barking and losing his mind. No doubt if he got out again he would have attacked me. I had my mace but that's crazy, I get dogs bark I'm good with that but he gets in fight mode. A few weeks back I had Macy and he was out trying to get of the fence. I called Skip crying to come and get us. We all have privacy fences so it's even pretty much impossible not to pass their house.