November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I thought this was funny, how to insult your runners. The article tells the whole story but this is the list they sent out to participants.

"We ask that the better runners move to the front. The better runners are wearing a tank top that says 'Runner's Edge,' and looking at their watch. In addition, they are often skinny."

"You should stand towards the back if the following is true about you:
    - You are wearing the shirt we gave you;

- You are wearing a sweatshirt with a hood;
    - You purchased your sneakers at Kohl's;
    - You were eating a bagel before the race;
    - You are capable of drinking water at the water stop because you have stopped to drink water at the water stop; and
    - You are hoping to finish in under one hour..."

http://abc7ny.com/community-events/runners-offended-by-massapequa-turkey-trots-facebook-post/2685130/http://abc7ny.com/2685130/

We were laughing Monday night because they sent out an email about wearing light colors so you could be seen easier, yet their tech shirts they gave were black :wink:

I have a 5k this weekend, and I am in PR ready condition, but becuase the race will be packed with walkers, stollers, and etc I probably do not really have a good shot at it. So while this is insensativly put... welll shoot, it makes sense. :lol:

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    11/1 10miles
    11/2 4miles
    11/3 12miles
    11/4 4miles
    11/5 rest
    11/6 6.62miles
    11/7 5miles
    11/8 7miles
    11/9 4miles
    11/10 14miles!
    11/11 6miles
    11/12 rest
    11/13 6miles
    11/14 5miles
    11/15 9miles
    11/16 5miles
    11/17 9miles
    11/18 rest
    11/19 rest
    11/20 4miles
    11/21 4miles
    11/22 4.73miles
    11/23 rest
    11/24 3.21mi
    11/25 13.1!!!
    11/26 rest
    11/27 4miles plus crossfit!
    11/28 6miles
    11/29 4miles
    11/30 5.63mi

Did 4 miles plus strides today. Pushed my pace and felt pretty good. Way better than the snail pace yesterday!

I’m completing the month at 157.29 miles! That’s 5.29 miles over goal. Now to figure out December’s mileage goal... see you in the December thread!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Went to run 7 ended up with 7.4. Good but not crazy pace.

exercise.png
  • LC0924
    LC0924 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Sorry I went MIA there... holidays and whatnot. Will try to catch up on the pages and pages I have missed ;)

This months goal was a lofty 20 miles - I got 10.9, haha. See you in the December thread!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    skippygirlsmom wrote: »
    I thought this was funny, how to insult your runners. The article tells the whole story but this is the list they sent out to participants.

"We ask that the better runners move to the front. The better runners are wearing a tank top that says 'Runner's Edge,' and looking at their watch. In addition, they are often skinny."

"You should stand towards the back if the following is true about you:
    - You are wearing the shirt we gave you;

- You are wearing a sweatshirt with a hood;
    - You purchased your sneakers at Kohl's;
    - You were eating a bagel before the race;
    - You are capable of drinking water at the water stop because you have stopped to drink water at the water stop; and
    - You are hoping to finish in under one hour..."

http://abc7ny.com/community-events/runners-offended-by-massapequa-turkey-trots-facebook-post/2685130/http://abc7ny.com/2685130/

We were laughing Monday night because they sent out an email about wearing light colors so you could be seen easier, yet their tech shirts they gave were black
    Sounds like a race I'd want to run.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    woohoo!!!! @skippygirlsmom that's great!!!!!

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Okay good news on the job front. The manager with the testing job just called me, “when do you want to start?”. Yeah me! I thought they were out on post which would add about 20 mins to my drive, but nope they are right around the corner from where I am now. Yeah me. I start my new job on the 18th. I’m excited and nervous, this will be the first time in 20 years I’ll have a job that I’m not trained to do ha ha!!

YAY!!!!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Awesome news @skippygirlsmom about your job.

OK, I was interrupted earlier, so now I am going to work on December's Challenge. Be ready!!!!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Okay good news on the job front. The manager with the testing job just called me, “when do you want to start?”. Yeah me! I thought they were out on post which would add about 20 mins to my drive, but nope they are right around the corner from where I am now. Yeah me. I start my new job on the 18th. I’m excited and nervous, this will be the first time in 20 years I’ll have a job that I’m not trained to do ha ha!!
    That is awesome! What did your now "former" boss say? Surely they weren't surprised!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    I finally finished the 15 pages I was behind. Not much to report. I was doing well on my streak til new years but I got sick. I have strep. After the dr came yesterday saying I had strep, I said "Can I still run?" She didn't look amused. Must not be a runner.

LOL Funny @seanevan10 :)

@skippygirlsmom Congrats on the job! And I love your even 100 miles :)

@azercord and @7lenny7 Sorry about the injuries/pains.

@nikolaoskey Looks like you passed your goal, great job!

I am busy tonight so I'll have to be happy with stopping at 45.1 miles, which I'm actually very happy with because I struggled to get 20ish the 2 previous months. But I was secretly hoping to get 50 once the month started going so well :-p

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom that is great news! I work at a company that lays people off more regularly than I'd like. Everyone I know has moved on to greener pastures. I'm so glad it didn't take long to find another opportunity.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 I haven't told her yet. I told the people I directly support because, well I like them ha ha. I know this time of year is crazy with purchasing work for programs so I let them know you have 10 days to give it to me or do it yourself.

Thanks everyone - I have not in writing yet, but Curt is a good guy so I'm not worried about that.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Not much to show this month, lack of discipline, little motivation. Main reason was my laziness,no excuse. I do better when I follow a routine so starting a half marathon training program in December. Not entering into any compitition yet, just challenging myself,body and mind.

November Running Challenge
    Goal: 90 km
    Ran: 43.6/90 km

30/11/17 Run 6.4 km
    29/11/17 Run 5.2 km
    16/11/17 Run 1 km
    15/11/17 Run 6+2 km
    14/11/17 Run 8 km
    10/11/17 Run 1 km
    9/11/17 Run 7 km
    8/11/17 Run 4 km
    7/11/17 Run 2 km
    1/11/17 Run 1 km
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7, I haven't seen that one, but I noticed they have a wall-mount one also. I'm assuming you attach it to the studs in the wall at xyz height? Does the joict one mount from the ceiling? Are the straps mean to be used with TRX-type stuff?

I'd dig that.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @7lenny7, I haven't seen that one, but I noticed they have a wall-mount one also. I'm assuming you attach it to the studs in the wall at xyz height? Does the joict one mount from the ceiling? Are the straps mean to be used with TRX-type stuff?

I'd dig that.

@fitoverfortymom This particular pull-up bar mounts to the side of exposed joists, which we have in the basement. They also heave ceiling mount (to be lagged into joists) and wall mount (to be lagged into studs). For my height, the joist mount is best. Someday I may get a ceiling mount to put in our garage.

The straps are similar to TRX. I don't know enough about either system to know what the differences are.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    November goal: 70 miles

11/1: 3.4 miles
    11/2: 3.1 miles
    11/5: 7.7 miles
    11/7: 4 miles
    11/9: 3.5 miles
    11/12: 7.7 miles
    11/14: 3 miles (intervals)
    11/15: 4 miles
    11/16: 3.1 miles
    11/19: 8.5 miles
    11/21: 4.1 miles
    11/22: 4.1 miles
    11/23: 4.1 miles
    11/26: 7.5 miles
    11/28: 3.1 miles (intervals)
    11/29: 3.2 miles
    11/30: 3.2 miles

77.3/70 miles

I got my last run in for November. 3.2 miles which puts me at 77.3 so 7.3 miles over my November goal. I may have to up my goal a little for next month. But with Christmas Eve being on a Sunday I could easily miss my long run that day. Decisions, decisions.

Today was another beautiful day for a run. ~66F and sunny. My favorite type of running weather. I debated running after work which I usually prefer, but I have not been to the grocery store since before Thanksgiving. I really need to go today and I decided that it would be best to run at lunch and go to the store after work. I figured I would be too tired to go to the store and run and cook dinner and we have eaten fast food the last 3 days so I really didn't want to just pick something up for dinner.

@skippygirlsmom Congrats on the job!

Congrats to everyone who made their goal. Good wishes to all who are healing from injuries. Hope to see you all in the December thread!

exercise.png

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Woohoo! Congratulations on the job; the fact that they want you is more important than your experience level right now. Just do your best, and learn what you're doing, and you'll be fine.

@PastorVincent - Definitely like up near the front. Probably the best advice I got for my first 5K was to line up at the front. At the time, I had no idea where I stacked up in the running community and figured I'd be somewhere in the middle. A co-worker who ran told me I belonged near the front. I lined up about 3 rows of runners back from the start line, and it worked out well.

Faster runners won't be offended by having to pass a single slow runner; they're more offended by *groups* of slow runners and walkers forcing wide detours. I'm sure you've seen the types. Max frustration I've ever heard about: A buddy was running the old Rochester Marathon course in 2014 trying to BQ. It's touch and go for him. The half split off from the full after a few miles, and rejoined the full route a few miles before the finish line, on the Erie Canal Trail. My buddy encounter slower half runners, running socially, 3 or 4 abreast on the narrow Canal Trail. Like, multiple groups of such runners forcing him to go around on the grass. He was not amused, and he missed his BQ by a narrow margin that day. Happy ending, he got his BQ at Philadelphia later that year; he just had to skip Boston 2015.

. . . and that's why people who aspire to BQ can recognize the race communication on where to line up as offensive and still find it pretty funny.