November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    a good read for crazy people. yes, that means you @MNLittleFinn @JessicaMcB @7lenny7 @PastorVincent (even more you as you are coming over to the dark side) and all others with a tendency for length....

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/nov/28/five-lessons-from-a-year-of-ultrarunning?CMP=share_btn_fb

I actually ran with this guy in my Dartmoor running weekend. Only annoyed that I was so far behind I didn't get the chance to talk to him much.

That's a good read... though, for a person like me, if I know what Aide Station I'm at, I know the distance left...LOL.... GPS is nice though.... Planning and eating enough are HUGE things to remember.

Bah. He lost me at "turn your GPS off"

If you do not fully track, Instagram, tweet, AND Facebook the run, then it did not happen! Sheesh. Amateur.
    Real long distance runners know that eventually the GPS will die....LOL
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @Elise4270 so sorry to hear of your family woes. hopefully with the right diagnosis and beginnings of treatment for Alex things can start to improve. Also good you have 'positive' results from your MRI. I say 'positive' because although it's not great at least you know it's not all in your head.

as to the cleaning, I'd always panic with a cleaner coming that I'd need to clean up beforehand. This probably goes back to my university days where a group of us were saving a half full jug of milk left out on the side as a forfeit one day. The cleaner got to it first. I felt really guilty as she was lovely and always went above and beyond what anyone should do in a university hall of residence...

Thanks for your kind words..

This house cleaner isn't so great.. unfortunately. We never clean up before she comes. I don't wanna vacuum or do toilets... :smiley: 20-25$ an hour to clean seems very lucrative. She can get it. I kinda think this one wants to clean up after those that already clean.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    a good read for crazy people. yes, that means you @MNLittleFinn @JessicaMcB @7lenny7 @PastorVincent (even more you as you are coming over to the dark side) and all others with a tendency for length....

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/nov/28/five-lessons-from-a-year-of-ultrarunning?CMP=share_btn_fb

I actually ran with this guy in my Dartmoor running weekend. Only annoyed that I was so far behind I didn't get the chance to talk to him much.

That's a good read... though, for a person like me, if I know what Aide Station I'm at, I know the distance left...LOL.... GPS is nice though.... Planning and eating enough are HUGE things to remember.

If you do not fully track, Instagram, tweet, AND Facebook the run, then it did not happen! Sheesh. Amateur.

I am betting my external battery packs will outlast me, if not them, then the two solar chargers I have surely will :)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @Elise4270 I am keeping Alex and you (and your family) in my prayers. I also was diagnosed with bipolar back in 2007 and it's no picnic. If you need to talk, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Thanks. I will definitely keep that in mind. Hopefully he'll have his meds lined out for he most part, and I can help from there. He drinks too much and I believe that a major factor in this learning period he's experiencing.
  • Elise4270
    Options

@elise4270 OMG that is too funny, so you need to clean your house so the house cleaner can clean it ha ha!!! Best ever! If it makes you feel better my friend has had 2 quit because her house is such a mess they said they won’t clean it for $500 a week let alone the $150 they normally charge.

LOL! Crap! I don't think my house is that dirty! Jeez I hope not! DH does p in the floor a lot.. :neutral:
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Love the article! Congrats
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    And I just added everything up...91.7 miles for this month (I have a rest day tomorrow). My goal was 60. Not sure how I figured 60 since I had a very prescribed plan this month. Maybe I'm filled with self-doubt. :/
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

I am betting my external battery packs will outlast me, if not them, then the two solar chargers I have surely will :)

now you're thinking like an ultra runner! What do you use for external [packs? I need to get 1 or 2 for my watch and phone for Zumbro
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

My eyes are leaking. <3
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB I finally had a chance to read your article. Awesome job! THAT is what trail running is all about! I LOVE your line about running with people rather than against them.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

now you're thinking like an ultra runner! What do you use for external [packs? I need to get 1 or 2 for my watch and phone for Zumbro

I have a free 3000mah one that has built-in solar charger that I got at some giveaway, and I have this one:

Jackery Giant+ 12000mAh Dual USB Output Battery Pack

But I am probably going to be getting this one:

ZeroLemon ToughJuice V3.0 30000mAh

Though the second one is USB-C so I would have to get some different cables to use it. 30,000 is massive and would charge most phones to full at least 10 times. An option would be:

Anker PowerCore 26800 Portable Charger

Which is slightly smaller (maybe 8 full charges), but at least standard USB.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    'Ello everybody! I've been MIA for a solid month. Hope everyone's doing splendidly! Just been running every day and *kitten* *kitten* up when I can! I met someone through Strava and so far it's been crazy good! I'm running a 5k this Saturday and I'm intending to break 20 minutes to open my training for a BQ run March 4th (One City 3:11). Wish me luck. I'm going to try my damndest to catch up with you runs of *kitten*!

Awesome. Good luck with your training!
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Ran 3 tough miles this morning.

Monday I had the bright idea to do a strength training dvd. It felt like nothing. Yesterday I was kind of sore, and after a terrible night's sleep, decided to have a rest day. This morning I got up and was even more sore. I kicked myself all the way to the track and ran anyway. Not sure if I want to do that dvd again or not. Hmmm.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB what a beautiful piece of writing with an even more beautiful truth ringing through it.
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thank you lporter229! You, MobyCarp, and this girl I started dating have honestly been my sole inspiration for Boston. I feel like its reachable now! Hopefully my body agrees. Thank you all!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    11/1- 25 minutes strength training (legs)+ 3.7 miles treadmill intervals
    11/2-5.3 miles
    11/3-5.1 miles
    11/4-10 miles +2.8 miles pub crawl
    11/5-rest day (dog walking, but that was it)
    11/6- 5 miles + 1.5 miles with Stella
    11/7-4.4 miles + 1.1 miles with Stella
    11/8-4.9 miles + stretching
    11/9-30 minutes strength training
    11/10-45 min yoga
    11/11-3.2 mile shake out run
    11/12-13.1 mile Honor Run HM
    11/13-rest day
    11/14-rest day
    11/15-60 minutes Body pump class
    11/16-25 minute strength+1.6 miles with Stella
    11/17-45 minutes yoga
    11/18-6.4 miles group run
    11/19-rest day
    11/20-P90X3 Total synergistics
    11/21-4.2 miles+ 25 min strength training+ 10 min stationary bike
    11/22-P90X3 Agility
    11/23-4.6 miles trail
    11/24- family day/long hike with the pup
    11/25 travel day
    11/26-5 miles tempo
    11/27-P90X3 yoga
    11/28-strength training+5.7 miles (short 0.6 mile run with Stella)
    11/29-yoga + P90X3 Challenge