November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @Pastorvincent- Nice. I really like that idea. Not something I had even considered.

@Stoshew71 and @skippygirlsmom - I was reading an article that reviewed bluetooth mp3 players. That ScanDisk one got really good reviews. Definitely cheaper than a nano too.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn yes I've done steeper than Grande too, it's just such a suffer fest because none of the single track is stable at all (largely loose rock, *kitten* is shifting under your feet even more than normal tech- this is considered the hardest part of CDR for a reason lol) and it's six or so km of it down. Just...its awful but I also need to run it again :D

So, I get to run that in 2019 is what you are saying????/
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn yes I've done steeper than Grande too, it's just such a suffer fest because none of the single track is stable at all (largely loose rock, *kitten* is shifting under your feet even more than normal tech- this is considered the hardest part of CDR for a reason lol) and it's six or so km of it down. Just...its awful but I also need to run it again :D

Yes you'll get to enjoy the descent that took out my knees more times than I can count lol! The climbing is awesome, so much vert! The downs though man- they have three or four areas that have signage to reflect that they are meant to be taken as bum slides
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Yes you'll get to enjoy the descent that took out my knees more times than I can count lol! The climbing is awesome, so much vert! The downs though man- they have three or four areas that have signage to reflect that they are meant to be taken as bum slides

That's awesome.... Is rock surfing OK??? I do that instead of bum sliding
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    So... My running shoes that I war at my October race are still super stiff. I think they have dirt packed into the fabric that just hardens when I spray/brush them off. Kind of tempted to put them in my front-load washing machine to try to get them clean........
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Awesome! I'm so glad it got published. It was a great piece. I think I'll be putting the shows in the washer tonight. I've noticed that my heels have not been liking me when I wear the Wild Duuth shoes, and I'm thinking that it's that they are too stiff with dirt now.
  • JessicaMcB
    Options

Awesome! I'm so glad it got published. It was a great piece. I think I'll be putting the shows in the washer tonight. I've noticed that my heels have not been liking me when I wear the Wild Duuth shoes, and I'm thinking that it's that they are too stiff with dirt now.

Put them inside a tied off pillow case to avoid lace pull. Mom tips yo
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - The Saucony Ride is pretty similar to the NB 880. I like it a lot, though it does have ~10mm drop. No recommendation from me on trail shoes as I have virtually no experience. #sissyrunner
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    You ultra runners, or those who think it's cool will enjoy this guy's blog.

http://www.ultrakrautrunning.com/

He's a local guy here.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB -What a beautiful story. I am sure you will cherish that race forever.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn when I wash my trail shoes in the washer I remove the laces and insoles completely, wash them in cold water with just a little detergent, then put them on the boot dryer, with no heat, to dry. If they're really bad I'll soak them in a bucket of water for a couple of hours before putting them in the washer.

Some say you shouldn't put running shoes in the washer but there's no way a half hour in the washer is going to be any harder on them than trail running. Some also laugh at the notion of washing running shoes, particularly trail shoes, but the dirt and grit that get in them is just like sandpaper, wearing down the shoe sooner than if they were clean. I think you've found another good reason to wash them.

@Elise4270 I don't know what to say other than I'm really sorry to hear what your having to deal with. I pray everything is resolved in the best possible way!

@MobyCarp I think your strategy for when to start running again is a sound one, and a strategy I should probably use myself for my knee. I'm not sure I'm that disciplined though. I took yesterday off and felt a twinge of pain here and there. Today it's felt great but I've not taxed it at all. I have 5 miles on my plan for today. They were supposed to be hill repeats, but I'll back off that and run a relatively flat loop.

@skippygirlsmom congrats to you and Skip! She's created a legacy at that race!

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - The Saucony Ride is pretty similar to the NB 880. I like it a lot, though it does have ~10mm drop. No recommendation from me on trail shoes as I have virtually no experience. #sissyrunner

Not sure they come in wide. I do know that Brooks Ghost is similar and comes in wide.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, work has been so busy of late and I haven't been able to keep up on here... probably sound like a broken record, but not a lot of extra time for me these days.

A quick question for y'all... I am traveling to Boston for a couple of days and want to run a route around the Charles river and have found a few on Strava. My question is, does anyone have a method for creating directions via some navigation device that would provide turn-by-turn voice prompts from a gpx file? I just get a little paranoid when running in unfamiliar areas that I'm going to make a wrong turn, etc.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    11/01 - Sick, forced rest day
    11/02 - 9 miles
    11/03 - 10 miles
    11/04 - 12 Miles @ 9:16
    11/05 - 11.5 miles @ 9:26
    11/06 - 6 Easy Miles
    11/07 - Missed Run
    11/08 - 8 Easy Miles @ 9:08 pace
    11/09 - 10.5 easy miles @ 8:59 pace
    11/10 - 7 Slack off miles @ 9:38 pace
    11/11 - Laser Tag, Mini Golf, and etc - aka "Cross training"
    11/12 - 12 miles @ 9:41
    11/13 - 11 miles @ 9:48
    11/14 - 10 miles @ 9:50
    11/15 - Strenght + 7 miles
    11/16 - Sick day
    11/17 - 10 miles @ 9:06
    11/18 - rest
    11/19 - Snowy 11 miles
    11/23 - Turkey Trot + 5 miler - Aka The Double Gobbler
    11/24 - 9 Lazy Miles
    11/25 - 12 miles @ 9:26
    11/26 - 11 miles @ 9:58
    11/27 - 10.5 miles @ 9:50
    11/28 - 12 miles @ 9:55

Big Hary Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

12/02/17 - Santa 5k
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

Wanted to run farther, but got out later than I needed to so while I did one of the hill loops I had to come in after only 12 miles. Oh, and it seems I am streaking by accident... :) Tomorrow and Thurs are my strength days so probably 6 miles each, meaning should get a distance PR for this month again.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Nov. 28 - 3.8km did some random sprints. It was 10°C! So over dressed.
    MTD - 76.8km/80km
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    You ultra runners, or those who think it's cool will enjoy this guy's blog.

http://www.ultrakrautrunning.com/

He's a local guy here.

Multiple DVT survivor, what a bad *kitten*! Why are men's masters runners always so much better than me!!! Lol
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    So, I didn't get my training log up on the blog until tonight. If anyone is bored, here it is: http://teachertrailrunner.blogspot.com/2017/11/zumbro-training-1120-1126-recap.html