November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB @MNLittleFinn @LaDispute57 @7lenny7

My big concern is ticks, so I need to go prepared with a good layer of DDT (which I need to by more).

I picked up one of those pesky critters on my Sunday walk through the woods. Didn't discover it until Monday morning. Ugh!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @LaDispute57 So you are saying that my best white clothes are probably not a good idea? :lol:

Depends if you want to run through it like a real runner or prance gingerly around it like a road runner... :)

Well, I might be a road runner, but this is me, last year in the Spartan...

Trust me, your mud was much cleaner than that water!
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I will just need to figure out what to carry with me. For Marathon I can get away with no liquids and just gel packs. I think for this 50k I will carry TailWinds power and water bottles. Sounds like I can refill water at aid stations. My belt holds 40 oz of water, that should be sufficient. Not sure what else I would need?

Tailwind and your belt will be plenty. There are two manned aid stations and one unmanned water station. Its an out and back course so its like six stops. The food is usually awesome (nothing like hot grilled cheese in 40 degree rain) and only about 5-6 miles between stations.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 @MNLittleFinn @skippygirlsmom @Stoshew71 This is Lonewolfrunner in my most recent re-incarnation. I have been gone for about a year, but it feels good to be back and see old friends still here. The past year of my life has been like doing a hundo in my bare feet, but I think I'm finally back on track...lol

@LaDispute57 we @Shanaber and I were talking about you the other day. It's so good to see you back.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @LaDispute57 we @Shanaber and I were talking about you the other day. It's so good to see you back.

:)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 @MNLittleFinn @skippygirlsmom @Stoshew71 This is Lonewolfrunner in my most recent re-incarnation. I have been gone for about a year, but it feels good to be back and see old friends still here. The past year of my life has been like doing a hundo in my bare feet, but I think I'm finally back on track...lol

Hey @LaDispute57 / @LoneWolfRunner welcome back!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here use bluetooth headphones with anything other than their phone for music during your runs? I like the idea of bluetooth headphones, but I currently use an iPod shuffle for my music, which is not compatible. I am really not interested in dragging along my phone on all of my runs. I want something small. I was looking at the 7th generation nano. Anyone have any feedback?
  • PastorVincent
    edited November 2017
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Does anyone here use bluetooth headphones with anything other than their phone for music during your runs? I like the idea of bluetooth headphones, but I currently use an iPod shuffle for my music, which is not compatible. I am really not interested in dragging along my phone on all of my runs. I want something small. I was looking at the 7th generation nano. Anyone have any feedback?

You can get a BT adapter for your shuffle and keep what you got. Something like this:

51hXseaPR-L._SL250_.jpg

Link: http://amzn.to/2jsWWMA
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @JessicaMcB @MNLittleFinn @LaDispute57 @7lenny7

My big concern is ticks, so I need to go prepared with a good layer of DDT (which I need to by more).

I picked up one of those pesky critters on my Sunday walk through the woods. Didn't discover it until Monday morning. Ugh!

I am a tic magnet. I easily get a 1/2 dozen from a 15 min walk in the woods. I have had the big bullseye rash many times and done the Lymes & Rocky Mountian Fever treatment several times over. I practically bath in DDT now when I head into tic prone places.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Whooo! Welcome back! We sure missed you.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Yay! I just got a copy of my MRI report!!!!

Chronic labral tearing
    Trochantric bursitis (duh)
    Right hamstring, med glute, min glute tendonosis,
    With fibrilation of the anterior medius. Guess it's spastic?

I am not a hypochondriac!

Hmmm... Should I still run at lunch? Sounds like all that might hurt, huh?

Thanks @lporter229 ! I got this :wink: I might need a drink or two, but I got this.

Oh kitten! I have a race this weekend! Yup!

Hey, that is great! Well okay, it sucks you are hurt, but it must feel good to finally know WHAT is wrong. That means you can work on getting better.

Will this stop your race?
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Yay! I just got a copy of my MRI report!!!!

Chronic labral tearing
    Trochantric bursitis (duh)
    Right hamstring, med glute, min glute tendonosis,
    With fibrilation of the anterior medius. Guess it's spastic?

I am not a hypochondriac!

Hmmm... Should I still run at lunch? Sounds like all that might hurt, huh?

Thanks @lporter229 ! I got this :wink: I might need a drink or two, but I got this.

Oh kitten! I have a race this weekend! Yup!

Hey, that is great! Well okay, it sucks you are hurt, but it must feel good to finally know WHAT is wrong. That means you can work on getting better.

Will this stop your race?

No way. What kinda runner do you think I am? A sissy runner? LOL!

If I keep my stride short, I can run with very little pain. And its trails, so I'll definitely keep it short and be on a forgiving surface.

Also, Dr Google says with tendonopthy, I can run as long as it's pain free. I'll be sitting on some ice shortly to make sure it stays that way. My Fēnix says today's running stride was 0.84m. Love this gizmo! :love:
  • Elise4270
    edited November 2017
    Options
    1---3.23
    2--PT
    3---4.34
    7---PT
    9---PT
    10---3.33
    13---3.47
    17---3.40
    19---6.29
    23---3.49
    24---1.02 TM
    25---2.01
    26---3.14
    27--- Sad sack-pizza, couch, Netflix
    28---2.33

36.05/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, 5.5 miles Norman OK
    Jan 27 Running the Rose. Tyler Tx. 11mi or 7k

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PB's
    1 mile 9.25  5k 33:46 10k 1:09:46
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @LaDispute57 So you are saying that my best white clothes are probably not a good idea? :lol:

Depends if you want to run through it like a real runner or prance gingerly around it like a road runner... :)

That's how you make the easy pass, splash through and get em wet. Glad to see you back @LaDispute57
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    from T.S. Eliot, "Only those who are willing to go too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    from @JessicaMcB " the unknown only has as much power as you allow it to have"
    I go with Jurek "sometimes you just do things"

That means I need 4 new shirts with ^^^ on the back and the MFP challenge on the front.
    Also one with "This is a runners body and its the only one I have"
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I was looking in Best Buy the other night and saw they had a small SanDisk 16GB mp3 player (uses Bluetooth and comes with a clip) for like $35. There's a cheaper 8 GB player as well.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I was looking in Best Buy the other night and saw they had a small SanDisk 16GB mp3 player (uses Bluetooth and comes with a clip) for like $35. There's a cheaper 8 GB player as well.

@lporter229 I don't have the bluetooth version of the SanDisk but I do/did have one with wired headphones and you couldn't beat it for the price, the sound was good, it was easy to use. I think Skip may have lost it, but for the money not the biggest loss ever.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Haha @juliet3455 everyone will be so confused in the second one- "Who the eff is Jessica McBride :D ?" . I want the Scott Jurek one too, I'm going to bring that to my shirt lady!

@PastorVincent I think thats a good plan for breaking in the shoes. Power lines are, in my experience of them, some of the most challenging elements of tech to run because STEEP as a mother. Still impressed I managed to not die OR lose a shoe on the power line down Grande Mountain. I plan on going back this summer because I don't learn very fast apparently!

bdc2zlzn3nr0.jpg
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB the powerline hills I hit weren't that long, but they were even steeper! They are an amazing way to practice.... even in I hate them with a passion.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn yes I've done steeper than Grande too, it's just such a suffer fest because none of the single track is stable at all (largely loose rock, *kitten* is shifting under your feet even more than normal tech- this is considered the hardest part of CDR for a reason lol) and it's six or so km of it down. Just...its awful but I also need to run it again :D