November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    6.2 miles today including walking - swapped our speed day for a long run because we recover slower from the long run and we're racing Saturday.

Two milestones, this was our first run longer than five miles, and our first run longer than an hour. We had 4.25 miles planned, but felt good (and the weather was perfect) so we kept going. Considering yesterday was legs day at the gym I'm surprised at how good I feel right now. I'm expecting DOMS to hit me like a freight train tomorrow.

And this puts me over 70 miles combined walking and running for the month, with one more planned run before the end of the month! My goal was 50. I need to figure out what portion of this was running, and set that as my running goal for December.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Thanks @ceciliaslater I'll tell her about the website. We paid a visit to Fleet Feet over the weekend too, Skip walked out with new shoes and a new jacket. Me ... nothing ha ha
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater - I love Brooks Ghost!!
    @skippygirlsmom - Sounds like my shopping trips.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Finally online. Was over my data on my phone and for some reason my school blocked the forum.

@Orphia yes, I'm registered and in training for Zumbro.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    *Just call me Pacey Lessbreath haha*
    Nov. 27 - 6.2km walk
    MTD - 73km/80km
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    "Wally Treadmiller"

Um, no. No dreadmills for me.

Non-running check in: Where I left off the story, I made a firm decision not to run for at least 3 days. Those 3 days came and went. Today is Day 4. The leg feels better than it did. I could run if my life depended on running to avoid being eaten by a cougar. But if my life depended on being able to run consistently most of the time (and it kind of does) running today would be a Dumb Idea. High chance of messing myself up.

So, no running today. Because today I did not feel like I could run, that means no running tomorrow. I want at least one rest day when I feel like I *could* run.

I probably should be seeking medical attention, but I'm without a car today and tomorrow. Did a dumb thing, scraped my quarter panel on a rock a couple weeks ago at 589 miles on the odometer. Today and tomorrow it's in the body shop to get that fixed, and I planned to be able to just stay home. The original plan was to go for a nice run while my car was in the shop, and maybe run back there to pick it up. Sigh.

So I get my car back late tomorrow afternoon. I'll go to club practice and talk to coach about plans for Club Nationals; I hold out hope that I'll be able to run, but it might mean taking a full week off. Or maybe two, to be sure. Looks like November will come in at my current total of 117.49 miles, well short of my nominal goal and (more importantly) failing the goal of staying healthy.

Sigh. It is what it is. I'll survive this.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    11/01 - Sick, forced rest day
    11/02 - 9 miles
    11/03 - 10 miles
    11/04 - 12 Miles @ 9:16
    11/05 - 11.5 miles @ 9:26
    11/06 - 6 Easy Miles
    11/07 - Missed Run
    11/08 - 8 Easy Miles @ 9:08 pace
    11/09 - 10.5 easy miles @ 8:59 pace
    11/10 - 7 Slack off miles @ 9:38 pace
    11/11 - Laser Tag, Mini Golf, and etc - aka "Cross training"
    11/12 - 12 miles @ 9:41
    11/13 - 11 miles @ 9:48
    11/14 - 10 miles @ 9:50
    11/15 - Strenght + 7 miles
    11/16 - Sick day
    11/17 - 10 miles @ 9:06
    11/18 - rest
    11/19 - Snowy 11 miles
    11/23 - Turkey Trot + 5 miler - Aka The Double Gobbler
    11/24 - 9 Lazy Miles
    11/25 - 12 miles @ 9:26
    11/26 - 11 miles @ 9:58
    11/27 - 10.5 miles @ 9:50

Big Hary Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

12/02/17 - Santa 5k
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (or maybe 30K Still debating)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

It was in the 50s when I started, but the temp fell on me quickly and by the time I made it home my hands were in much pain. I really needed a wardrobe change mid-run, but instead, I just turned in early at 10.5 miles and called it a night.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @Eire228 congratulations.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    In case you are bored, I posted my review of the Garmin 935 vs Apple Watch finally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHSjhg-v3S0
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Hope the PhotoTherapy light works out for you...SAD sucks.

@NikolaosKey Terrific job on the HM PR, even if it wasn't quite the result that you were aiming for.

@JessicaMcB Absolutely phenomenal run, Ms "I'd have probably gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddlin' cougars" McB.

@7lenny7 Nice run, and great pictures, but take care of that knee!

Non-running check in: I'm starting the third week of rest, and my shin feels a lot better, but still aches a little when I push off with my toes. So it's been lots of walking, and some elliptical work, but that's pretty much it.

Also, if anyone is thinking of ordering a Road ID sidekick for their watch, here's a small handy tidbit to keep in mind. The sidekick arrived for my Garmin, but I didn't think to take the watch band into account. The order was for the FR-935 sidekick, and the band that comes with that watch is a lot different to the replacement quick-release bands that I use...these bands are tapered more at the end, so the original Road ID doesn't fit snug. Thankfully, Road ID customer support is awesome, and they said to just return the original for my money back and they would look into updating their website to highlight the difference in fit between the bands, so now I have a sidekick that fits properly. Apparently, a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's some links to a few thousand words courtesy of someone else who ran into the same issue:

Proper fit with original band
    Incorrect fit with quick-release band
    Original band and quick-release band side-by-side

- Gunner Happyfeet
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    My laptop had to go to the repair shop today so I’m all out of sorts and trying to do stuff on my phone. Did 3.11 miles on the treadmill today. I think that puts me at 85 out of goal of 90 miles.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    We paid a visit to Fleet Feet over the weekend too, Skip walked out with new shoes and a new jacket. Me ... nothing ha ha

But did Skip get a scholarship from FF??
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    11/27 - .5 mile walk, 3 mile run/walk, .25 mile walk

Cut down my warm-up and cool down this evening and did a much more relaxing run with a lot of intervals of run/walk. 22 to be exact :p:p I still averaged 12:12 for the 3 miles so not bad.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'm registered and in training for Zumbro.

Woo yay hooplah! Excited for you.

• LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    When can I sign up for December? I need to stop being a slug.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @orphia Hard for me to tell with how little I know and how dark the image is... is that a llama? :)
  • LaDispute57
    Options
    @PastorVincent I started my 50k training today for the GRT in May.... skip the 30 and do the 50...
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent I started my 50k training today for the GRT in May.... skip the 30 and do the 50...

Hae you run it before? Part of my hesitation is the vast unknown of it all. :)
  • LaDispute57
    Options
    I have run the 30k three times and the 50k twice... It is challenging but doable. Plus you are young and fast...lol