November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 My heart is just breaking for you. As a person we can deal with our day to day struggles, as a parent there is nothing that tears at our heart and soul like our children struggling. So many hugs to you and prayers for Alex. My cousin’s daughter battles bi-polar disorder and it took a long time to find a medicine combo that worked for her. But it’s still a daily fight for her. You are 100% right that we just keep moving forward, we need to. On a better note, love the watch. Hang in there.
    @RunsOnEspresso FF is about 30 mins from us, like you depending on the traffic. I think Skip is buttering them up to work there over the summer.
    Thanks @stoshew71
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent re: the 50k my favorite quote relating to ultra running comes from T.S. Eliot, "Only those who are willing to go too far can possibly find out how far one can go.". Chase it man, the unknown only has as much power as you allow it to have
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB @MNLittleFinn @LaDispute57

Shoe question. So currently run in:

New Balance 880v7
    m880bk7_nb_02_i?fmt=jpg&qlt=80&wid=400
    Details: http://www.newbalance.com/pd/880v7/M880-V7.html?dwvar_M880-V7_color=Reflection_with_Black_and_Hi-Lite#color=Black_with_Thunder&width=4E

But obviously, I will need to replace them before the GRT in May. My shoe selection is limited by my need for wide sizes (2E to 5E pending the brand). If I got another shoe like that one, would that be okay for the 50k trail run? I do not have enough trails to justify a trail only shoe so need something that will work for most of my runs, which are a mix of street/grass/dirt which.

Just want to make sure I am not setting myself up for disaster here. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent so, are you going to do the 50? plan on 6-8 hours for it. that extra 6 miles past marathon length plus trail versus road means you'll need more time to do it.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @PastorVincent re: the 50k my favorite quote relating to ultra running comes from T.S. Eliot, "Only those who are willing to go too far can possibly find out how far one can go.". Chase it man, the unknown only has as much power as you allow it to have

I go with Jurek "sometimes you just do things"
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @JessicaMcB @MNLittleFinn @LaDispute57

Shoe question. So currently run in:

New Balance 880v7
    m880bk7_nb_02_i?fmt=jpg&qlt=80&wid=400
    Details: http://www.newbalance.com/pd/880v7/M880-V7.html?dwvar_M880-V7_color=Reflection_with_Black_and_Hi-Lite#color=Black_with_Thunder&width=4E

But obviously, I will need to replace them before the GRT in May. My shoe selection is limited by my need for wide sizes (2E to 5E pending the brand). If I got another shoe like that one, would that be okay for the 50k trail run? I do not have enough trails to justify a trail only shoe so need something that will work for most of my runs, which are a mix of street/grass/dirt which.

Just want to make sure I am not setting myself up for disaster here. :)

really depends on the trail. if it's pretty rocky or full of roots, you'll want a trail shoe with built in rock guards of some sort. Also, if it's muddy, trail shoes will be a HUGE advantage
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @LaDispute57 that pic looks like my last race. @PastorVincent If that's what it's like a trail shoe is a must.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @LaDispute57 that trail looks wonderful!
    @PastorVincent I looked at the shoe in your link...that tread would not work well in that beautiful, sweet mud in the photo.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @LaDispute57 So you are saying that my best white clothes are probably not a good idea? :lol:
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @PastorVincent sadly I am also firmly in camp "buy trail shoes". I am currently *kitten* once my Nomad TR die (soon, so soon) because they have been disconned. You need the tread and option to attach gaiters easily if you do a lot of tech- road shoes won't be helpful in this respect. I have run tech in Guide 10's, it's doable but I also run tech all the time and would never race trail in them.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 @MNLittleFinn @skippygirlsmom @Stoshew71 This is Lonewolfrunner in my most recent re-incarnation. I have been gone for about a year, but it feels good to be back and see old friends still here. The past year of my life has been like doing a hundo in my bare feet, but I think I'm finally back on track...lol
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @LaDispute57 So you are saying that my best white clothes are probably not a good idea? :lol:

Depends if you want to run through it like a real runner or prance gingerly around it like a road runner... :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent so, are you going to do the 50? plan on 6-8 hours for it. that extra 6 miles past marathon length plus trail versus road means you'll need more time to do it.

Honestly, yeah. As of right now, I am thinking that the week following the Marathon my endurance will probably be at its peak for distance. Kind of like, if not then, then when? I can increase my Marathon long runs maybe to help prep for it... but if what you tell me about pace expectations is correct, I should not have a problem with 50k. Doing a 50k trail race at MP I would not want to attempt but at say MP+50% (otherwise known as my wife's MP :lol:) - I bet I could do that.

Also, I grew up running trails in the woods all day long, literally, so I think I will be fine... even if it has been decades since I moved out of my house. It is like riding a bike, right?

The only hesitation is if I am stupid and hurt myself going for the marathon PR. Which could happen.

I will just need to figure out what to carry with me. For Marathon I can get away with no liquids and just gel packs. I think for this 50k I will carry TailWinds power and water bottles. Sounds like I can refill water at aid stations. My belt holds 40 oz of water, that should be sufficient. Not sure what else I would need?
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @PastorVincent http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/15139/mens-new-balance-vazee-summit-v2/?cc=003

here's the Running Shoe Guru review:

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2017/07/new-balance-vazee-summit-v2-review/

They are a high heel 10mm drop, which isn't my thing, but they look decent other than that
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @JessicaMcB @MNLittleFinn @LaDispute57 @7lenny7

*sigh* Okay my plan then will be to go to a running store (there is a small one near me) and ask them to find me a trail running shoe sometime early next year. Then, there is a powerline trail near me that I have not had time to explore yet, but I can take the trail shoes on that and break them in a little before race day. It is the high tension wires so I know the trail must go for miles, and there are plenty of places I have seen that a car would never make it on it. Frankly, there is a hill with insight that I would be worried taking most SUVs on.

My big concern is ticks, so I need to go prepared with a good layer of DDT (which I need to by more).
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

remember my shoes on the group page on FB??? yeah, you can expect that.
  • PastorVincent
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @PastorVincent http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/15139/mens-new-balance-vazee-summit-v2/?cc=003

here's the Running Shoe Guru review:

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2017/07/new-balance-vazee-summit-v2-review/

They are a high heel 10mm drop, which isn't my thing, but they look decent other than that

Thanks!

I would like to get away from the big drop. Just pickings are slim when you are looking for wides in stock. But I guess worst case is I get those with the same drop the 880V7s have.