WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Beth and Mary – I have used a weighted hula hoop; and, it will bruise you up when you start out. It took me a while to get it going; but, then I would do 100 rotation, and up it by 25 3x a day. I got to the point that I could do it easily for 1000 rotations. I then moved to a heavier weighted on; but, then I had a wreck and could not do it (rotator cuff now since healed; but, I have just not gotten back to it. It worked the core very well; and, if I had been less heavy (as I am now) I am sure that I’d have a good core packed in there. Now that I am close to my goal, I will take it back up, starting with the lighter one. It really helps around the middle.

Michele – I don’t know what I thought Vince would look like but, I would have never envisioned him with long hair, not even gray hair. I know things were probably stressful for you; but, now you don’t have to run into them unless you are at Denise and Pete’s place and they have invited you up. When Will and Tami got married, I told her I had something that was ‘old, borrowed, and blue’ … all she needed to do is come up with the ‘new’ item. I let her ‘borrow’ the necklace that I made out of Louis’ beaded baby ID bracelet. She was so thrilled. She clasped it around her bouquet. It has the absolute smallest chain running through it. I used to wear it all the time; but, then, I could not wear anything else. When I got my ‘medic alert’ necklace, it kept getting tangled up together. It takes someone else clasping it because it is also a necklace that doesn’t hang down very far. I saw it in my DMnL’s jewelry box when we were going through it to find the little 3-diamond band she wanted me to have. I had to get it cut down to a ‘pinky’ ring because it was so dainty.

Yvonne in TX – My insurance when up about $39 a month. It already takes well more than ½ of my retirement check; but, still a lot ‘cheaper’ than it would cost to buy my prescriptions. I guess that isn’t too bad of an increase; and, I am glad that we decided to go to a ‘cash only’ plan for bills. Paid them all off and now, if we don’t have the cash’ for it, we just save up. That was before my dishwasher broke. But, I haven’t said anything, just ‘shut up and wash by hand’. I am glad that Jenn’s Mom is coming out to cook for Thanksgiving, because it I had had to do it, the guys were going to have to clean up. I would not have care ‘what games were on TV’. Maybe we’ll get it by the end of the year. Told him that when we get it installed I wanted Randy to come do it; because I want the disposal taken out (we aren’t really supposed to have one on a sewer system). He said that the pipes were not slanted in the proper angle and the last time we had him out here he could not reach behind them to do it. Said when we got ready to remove it, he would be able to hook it up for the dishwasher.
    A friend of mind works in a Health Sharing ministry in my home town. He works one or two days a week doing dentistry (but there are certain rules they go by) on a sliding scale of income.

Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Yvonne- we're going without health insurance. We looked into the Christian site but still too expensive and too much out of pocket. We decided to bank what we would pay for health care then by the end of the year we would have $19,000 towards health care. I see a holistic Dr which is out of pocket anyways.

Lenora - I really tried with the hula hoop it just never worked!

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Beth- so glad you got the basement level of your house as a place to make an exercise room! You definitely have a lot of equipment. I tried the weighted hula hoop and all it did was bruise me! If you need any help with kettle bell workout let me know!

The weighted hula hoop is a killer ... my midsection was so bruised when I first started that my primary at a regular visit quietly asked if I was in an abusive relationship ... :o

I will definitely ask if I need help with the kettle bells ... thank you!

Beth
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Machka – pm me and I’ll send you one.

Katla – sending good thoughts for Hazel (that’s my grandma’s first name)

The open enrollment for health insurance just opened in CA so I too will be hunting, my premiums went up over 300% oh my… I did hear about the ministry co-ops and will also be checking them out as a religion neutral person sometimes I don’t fit in that BUT a friend told me to look into the Amish and Mennonite ones as they are geared to the non-attached to a particular church..

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Happy November everyone! Barbie, when I first met you here on MFP, you had the same saying on your page,
    so I copied it and put it in my food notes every day. I still love it, and use it.

My goal for this month is to stay as clean and healthy as possible despite my constant meals out ! Keeping it simple this month!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »
    Have any of you had experience with a health sharing ministry? Right now that's what I'm looking at and I've found some fairly promising options. We're not religious but I think we can agree with most of their standards-of-belief statements in good conscience.
    -Yvonne in TX

While I have not personally been in a health sharing ministry I have two family members that have been members for years of one. They love it and have never had a problem with getting bills paid. They have had some extensive bills too. Do be aware that sharing ministries can exclude pre-existing conditions. My sister's right knee was not covered due to long standing issues before they became members but her left knee was covered and she got a knee replacement. The cost is very affordable, much much lower than any insurance they could have gotten. There are several cost sharing programs that are not religious based out there.

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    November goals:
    1. Watch the Astros win the World Series tonight
    2. Log each day
    3. Keep my macros at 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs (or stay as close as possible)
    4. Run 3 times a week for the first 3 weeks, one run being a long run of 15+ miles. Fourth week is easy runs/walks before race weekend.
    5. Get a massage weekly! (yes!) Stretch twice daily
    6. Have my Christmas shopping finished by November 30th.

Marcelyn
    Hopeful in Houston
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Katla Little Hazel (I love old-fashioned names) will be going through some changes...and everyone around her will certainly have to learn how to manage her blood sugars...so sending love and lots of strength to all of you as you go through this transition.

Janetr There can never be too many pictures of Mia. That last one is particularly precious. Made my heart happy.

November Daily Goals

LESS:
    Log
    Exercise
    Sleep
    Stretch

Karen in Virginia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did a walking DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Jari Love's Get Ripped and Chiseled DVD.

Went for my bloodwork today. Fasting -- yuk. I bring something for me to eat in the car after they draw the blood. I found out that really Vince and I should go for our bloodwork the day before our physicals. The lab won't pick up my sample until 1:00 and my appt is at 1. I thought they did it in their office so the MD would have it that day, but they don't for our insurance. So he won't have the results in time for my appt. Oh well....live and learn. I would think that the front desk should have said something.

janetr - Mia is absolutely adorable

Joyce - adorable Princess Lea (especially like the hair, so realistic) and Dorothy

I was reading a book on my tablet while waiting for T or T'ers. I kind of like it, I can take it to the MD office. Just wish the library had more options for books. Have leftover candy in the car to return to WalMart. The opened bags are in Vince's office for him to have and to be out of my sight.

evie - I think it would be cool if Denise saved the handkerchief/bib and used it for her daughter/son if she has one one day.

Vince closed up, took decorations in, and he said that there were a few cars that went by our house last night. We should have stayed open for giving out candy. Could have gotten rid of some more. Maybe he had an alternative reason (there'd be more for him)

Lisa - "she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes, she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes"....Safe travels.

About Halloween celebrations -- every year the kids always loved going to Vince's work for Halloween. Actually, that's their biggest holiday. They'd REALLY do it up for the kids and they'd get lots and lots.

Went to WalMart EARLY this morning. Got a few inflatables, mostly candy (not sure why I got so much, but it was dark chocolate mints and I think I can probably take some up to Jess' for Thanksgiving). Only 50 calories each (York peppermint patties. Vince wasn't happy that I got a York product, but I told him that as soon as Mars puts out a lower calorie candy, I'll buy that. Plus, it has to be dark chocolate)

M - how interesting about your pumpkins! Very few seeds, interesting. When I roast butternut squash or spaghetti squash, I usually microwave it for a few minutes. That makes it easier to cut.

Heather - good luck to you on the house. What are pasties?

Mary - is Arizona one of the states that doesn't turn their clocks back/forward? I know Hawaii is. If they don't, guess you have to change back and forth when you go to MN? Which time do they keep, DST?

Terry - good for you having only one candy! That's all I had yesterday, too

Katla - diabetes can be controlled. I know it's still a worry. Great way to look at it from Lisa

Was late for my physical appt. In order to have it with the MD I would have had to reschedule, which I really didn't want to do. So I went to a practicioner. Sometimes it's good to go to someone new. Got my flu shot and my arm is a bit sore now.

DJ - hopefully, this lady will work out grooming Pepper.

Michele in NC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for the new thread. You are a gift to all of us.
    Katla- sending prayers for Hazel and your whole family. My mom and brother were diabetic but at a later age. Bless her heart I is hard for a little one to understand.
    November goals:
    Log everyday
    Get it at least 8000 steps a day
    Check in with MFP friends
    Suebdew in TX
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Michele- we don't have daylight savings time in Arizona. We are MST. So, during Daylight Saving Time in other states like Mn we are 2 hours different. Then when Mn goes back to CST we are only 1 hour different. The Navajo Nation in NE Az does observe DST on the reservation. Sorry your arm is sore from the flu shot! My DH and I have never had a flu shot and have never had the flu.

Today I did laundry at the laundromat at our resort. While I waited I sat in the hot tub and swam in the pool! Now we're going to take Shep for an evening walk. Then sit out by the fire and relax! We absolutely love winter in AZ! 30 degrees was the high at our house in Mn and it's snowing!

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: You talked me into watching the World Series. Amazingly, it is still on! Thanks! :bigsmile:

Katla