WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- Thanks for sharing the links in regards to Thanksgiving in different countries and other holidays. I try to incorporate a few other holidays into my daycare. Hanukkah, Ramadan, Boxing Day, Chinese New Year, Cinco de Mayo, etc. Never too young to learn about how others celebrate.

I've had to adopt a few Australian celebrations ... and drop a few Canadian ones.

Although, since I moved to Australia, I have ended up in Canada during a couple of the Canadian holidays. Best of both worlds!! :)

Most recently, I was in Canada for Canada Day on July 1 ... that was nice.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    I've walked 47.4 km this week! And I've got one day to go, although I think I'll cycle instead.

That's the longest distance I've walked in a week since I started keeping track on January 1, 2015. :grin:

I did do a 47.3 km week last November about this time, so maybe it's a November thing.  

And I will add that I've been sleeping really, really well the last couple nights ... like a log! I find that a decent quantity of regular daily exercise helps a lot with my sleep.

Machka in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    morning so happy to read all the goings on with all you folks

Dr. Katie bug have you tried making bone broth/stock in the instant pot—it is my absolute favorite thing to make in it.

Rori sounds like the upcoming cruise will be a real treat for you both.

Love hearing about all the great traditions and foods everyone is enjoying. Today I love leftovers, and will try making mashed potatoes in the IP also will roast brussel sprouts with shallots and pear—so yummy.

DD wants to shop for sweaters today, am wondering how smart that idea will be, but spending time with her is pretty terrific. We went to see “Ladybird” it was a good mother-daughter movie and discussing it afterwards showed me how much she truly has grown up this year!!

Love the grandkid pics, that Joaquin!!!!

Cheers to everyone have a good weekend. NYKAREN
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,061 Member
    Options
    DS and I went to pre-black Friday at Kohl's. They open at 5 on Thursday. There was a line to get in at 4:45. We had our family dinner at noon. He bought a pair of shoes that were sale price. I got a pair of winter boots for $20. They were a black Friday deal no extra discount. I did get an additional 15% and $10 Black Friday coupon on his shoes. The store was packed. So now I can cross off shopping on Black Friday. Ill have to go back at a quieter time to spend the $15 our purchases earned. Yes I know it is racket to get your to shop.

Birthday for me today. The plan is Panera (St. Louis Bread Company (original name)) for birthday celebration. Loved their squash soup!

Love the pictures.

I did get tagged to show black and white photo for a week. I refuse to tag someone everyday to do the same thing. I do enjoy picking a photo to show, but I know it takes time. Right now with how busy it gets this time of year I am not comfortable doing that to someone else. Besides it reminds me of the old chain letter which is not my style.

:heart: Margaret
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Margaret ~ Happy Birthday!

Kelly ~ Jauquin (sp) is a lovely little boy.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Lenora's sister (whom I knew high school) sent me no reply to my message on Facebook. I assume that whatever is going on she does not think it is my business. :'(

If she's anything like me, I wouldn't assume anything yet. I tend to ignore messages or miss them all together, and then one comes in from my mother or brother, and all of a sudden I discover that I've had 5 messages from various people.

And if it happens that Lenora is in the hospital, her sister could be a bit preoccupied right now.

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,941 Member
    Options
    :) Black Friday will exist as long as shopping, buying, and getting bargains are high priorities for people. I'll be teaching my line dance as I usually do on Friday mornings after my usual walk with the dogs.

<3 Barbie in NW Washington

• langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that we didn’t get information on Lenora. Maybe at least her sister told her we were thinking of her.

I don’t go near the stores on Black Friday. I don’t like to shop and shopping with all those people (most of whom are rude) is not my way of enjoying the beginning of the holiday season. I never go Thanksgiving day as I think the stores should be closed so that employees can enjoy the day with their families.

We have a 5’ artificial tree we put up. I got tired of every year freezing my butt off getting a real one and dealing with all the needles on the floor. Also, we have a wood stove and it gets a little dry in the house even though we always have water on to steaming. My home is small so the one we have is perfect for us. I’ll probably put it up in a week and take it down after New Years.

Going to watch what I eat during the day so I can have another turkey dinner for supper tonight. Can’t wait as I love leftovers probably more than the first time we have it.

Going to call the women who I’m making the bracelet for and tell her the bad news about my wrist. I won’t be able to make it for a while. Supposed to make one for my cousin to give his wife for Christmas so hoping I heal soon.

Going to just lay low today as my wrist is sore from yesterday doing more than I should have .

Have a great day all you lovely ladies.

Terry in VT
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Lenora's sister (whom I knew high school) sent me no reply to my message on Facebook. I assume that whatever is going on she does not think it is my business. :'(

If she's anything like me, I wouldn't assume anything yet. I tend to ignore messages or miss them all together, and then one comes in from my mother or brother, and all of a sudden I discover that I've had 5 messages from various people.

And if it happens that Lenora is in the hospital, her sister could be a bit preoccupied right now.

And if you aren’t friends with Lenora’s sister on FB, she may not even know you sent her a message. I don’t get notifications for those and have to click on requests, I think it is, even to see them. Once I discovered this, I found messages that were 2 or 3 years old.

• Machka9
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

And if you aren’t friends with Lenora’s sister on FB, she may not even know you sent her a message. I don’t get notifications for those and have to click on requests, I think it is, even to see them. Once I discovered this, I found messages that were 2 or 3 years old.

Yes ... I discovered that too.
  • Machka9
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    We have a 5’ artificial tree we put up. I got tired of every year freezing my butt off getting a real one and dealing with all the needles on the floor. Also, we have a wood stove and it gets a little dry in the house even though we always have water on to steaming. My home is small so the one we have is perfect for us. I’ll probably put it up in a week and take it down after New Years.

I have three trees ... all artificial.

One I've had since I was about 16 years old. I got it in the hardware store in the little town in northern Alberta where I lived then for about $5 and I've carried it with me ever since. It's about 18" tall.

One we got when we lived in the "Love Shack" ... the remote and rustic shack at the back of a property where we lived, after the bushfires, for my first year in Australia.

Both of them were in storage when we moved to Tasmania, and so when Christmas came, we picked up another one.

And then the next year we had all three and have had ever since. :)

They'll go up on or about December 1.

Machka in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,362 Member
    Options
    Margaret - Happy Birthday!! <3B) Sounds like you got some good shopping done at Kohl's! I am not a fan of the chain letter type stuff either. I unfriended several folks on Facebook because of it.

Kelly
    - Thank you for posting the photos of Joaquin. Look at the hair on that kid - just gorgeous.

Machka - I always love seeing the little towns that are near to you. I love living in the country but it would be so nice to be able to walk to little shops now and then.

Katla
    - So sorry you still aren't feeling 100%. Great idea bringing in your live trees as Christmas trees. We've not been good about trees/decorating in the house in the past because of the cat. She's now gone so we'll see if we get inspired to find the decorations. I do want to string some solar lights on a little cedar next to the house that will hopefully get enough sun to charge them during the day.

Carol
    - that fruit bird was too cute to eat! Hopefully Lenora's sis will get back to you - maybe she's been super busy with the holiday as Machka said.

Sharon
    - what a great idea keeping a Thanksgiving book! Bet Greysyn did some good entertaining on that guitar! Does he already have one? Sending warm thoughts and strength to you on this Black Friday! Hopefully the customers will not be nasty today!

Katiebug - what a nice photo of you with your grandkids! Glad everything turned out so well in that roaster!

Barbie - how did you like "Murder on the Orient Express?" Good for you getting ready to up your weights a bit. I've started doing the wrist exercises with some 2/3 lb weights I had stashed here. Very deceptive.... didn't seem that hard but the day after, the tendons in my elbows twanged a little.

Pip - love the idea of ornaments with photos of your kids. What a lovely trip down memory lane!

Yesterday was very laid-back. I watched the whole Netflix Longmire last season on my tablet! Whew, what a marathon. Had to stop twice to recharge it a bit! I watch it close captioned so DH and I can be in the same room and watch what we want - he gets the TV, lol. I thought the first several episodes were "rocky" but the last couple were good. They wrapped up the series pretty well. Will miss seeing the scenery and horses. Now, on to "Stranger Things" and I see several more I want to watch. Only bad thing...too much sitting! I managed to get a couple walks in as the weather wasn't too icky.

Our Thanksgiving meal ended up being oven roasted bacon-wrapped chicken bites. Quite yummy. And macaroni & cheese which I haven't made in years. Turned out good as well. Easy to cut the recipe way down so we won't have to eat it for days.

I too am very thankful for this group!! The support and ideas found here are the absolute best!! Not many folks in my day-to-day life share the enthusiasm we have in this group.

Have a good day! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

• Machka9
    edited November 2017
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Machka - I always love seeing the little towns that are near to you. I love living in the country but it would be so nice to be able to walk to little shops now and then.

I prefer living in small towns. A small town just outside a mid-sized city would be ideal.

Currently we live in a suburb just south of Hobart ... technically part of Hobart. It is still "city", but for some reason this particular suburb has something of a small beach-side town feel to it. In fact, that's what attracted us to this area. :) And we've got a little shopping area within walking distance if we want to pick up a few things.

Salamanca (the photos of the old buildings I posted) is right in the middle of Hobart. It's the area Hobart was settled first (hence the old buildings). There are old houses up behind those buildings, and I go up there to walk among them at lunch sometimes too and that area is called Battery Point. On the opposite side of the street from those buildings is the water. Hobart is built around a bay, kind of like Victoria, BC, Canada (if you've ever been there or seen it). Only, I think Victoria is more active and vibrant than Hobart. I keep thinking that Hobart should pick up some tips from Victoria.

Lots of variety here!

M in Oz
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    I am friends with Lenora's sister on Facebook. I'm pretty sure she got the message because within the same time I sent it, she wrote a long comment bashing the President.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Happy birthday Margaret! :drinker:

All my prep is done. The table is laid. The cushions are plumped. DH has his new T shirt on and I have my new necklace. Now we just wait for his DS and boyfriend to arrive. B)<3 We will greet them with a cup of tea and a piece of Whole Orange Cake.
    I am a very impatient "waiter". >:)

I rang the taxi firm today and booked for both ways tomorrow night, rather than wait until the restaurant meal is nearly done to book it home. I hope I've judged it right for timing. :*

Hope they get here soon!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    morning peeps-

kata- hope u are feeling better

black fridays- never done one, never will. odd cuz i like crowds

Wednesday night when i got off the train and was going to get ready to ride home, something happened with my bike so i changed shoes and had to walk it home. couldn't have picked a better night, the weather was great! i walk/jogged it home. so, gonna drop it off to the repair shop, kirby got my other bike to ride in the meantime and i willl have to change to the backpack, no rack on this bike, til it's fixed. very blessed i have 2 bikes.

going to have our b=marathon medals engraved with our stats for the final marathon. already registered for next year's 1/2 marathon.

gotta go look for his medal, later peeps
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Peach: In the last post I read from Lenora she said she was having serious trouble with seizures. I suspect she went to the hospital. I can only hope that she is doing okay. :flowerforyou:

M in OZ: "I prefer living in small towns. A small town just outside a mid-sized city would be ideal." I agree completely and we live in a small town near a midsized+ city. Portland is somewhat above midsized in my view, but close enough.:smiley:

I am feeling better. The headache I've had for days is nearly gone and DH is still grumpy but not pathetic. Staying at home instead of going to the family gathering was a good choice. We would not have enjoyed the travel, and they don't need to be exposed to this bug.

Sending good thoughts to all and hope Lenora is doing okay.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James