WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    This evening my husband and I went to the symphony again. To Jupiter! I have Jupiter in my collection but it was nice to see it played live. Great performance as always. :)

https://www.tso.com.au/concerts/jupiter/

Program
    Mozart: Serenade No 6, K239, Serenata notturna
    Haydn, JM: Concerto for Alto Trombone
    Yu: Sinfonia passacaglissima
    Mozart: Symphony No 41, Jupiter

Sadly, there are no more performances that we can attend until mid-Feb.

Machka in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :)<3 Sending healing hugs to Lenore and Joyce
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Machka I had never heard of the Michael Haydn Concerto for Alto Trombone, so I listened to it on YouTube. Sublime! What a delightful concerto! Wow! :):):) Nor was I familiar with Julian Yu's Sinfonia Passacaglissima. It was a bit too dramatic for me. :D:D:D I love Mozart. Sounds like a marvelous concert. <3<3<3

Margaret Happy Birthday!

Best Healing Thoughts for Joyce and Lenora. Broken feet and seizures no fun.

Newbies Welcome! We love new women joining our dynamic, diverse group!

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Machka I had never heard of the Michael Haydn Concerto for Alto Trombone, so I listened to it on YouTube. Sublime! What a delightful concerto! Wow! :):):) Nor was I familiar with Julian Yu's Sinfonia Passacaglissima. It was a bit too dramatic for me. :D:D:D I love Mozart. Sounds like a marvelous concert. <3<3<3

I think Julian Yu's Sinfonia Passacaglissima is relatively new and not really to my taste, but they usually include one newer piece in each concert ... some I like, some not so much. Now the interesting thing is that I'm pretty sure he was in the audience today!

I had heard all the rest of the pieces before, although Michael Haydn Concerto for Alto Trombone wasn't overly familiar. I doubt I have a copy of it, but I'm thinking my father might.

The orchestra had a lot of fun with the first piece, Mozart: Serenade No 6, K239, Serenata notturna. In the middle the 4 main instruments (violin, alto violin, viola, double bass -- ?? I think, I'm not 100% sure about my instruments) did a sort of "duelling banjos" thing where they each tried to outdo each other. They're all so good, it worked well and had everyone laughing along with them.

And then the second half was Jupiter.

It was a good choice of concert to attend ... really enjoyed it. :)

M in Oz
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Lenora is in the hospital in Macon. I finally got a reply from her sister. Hope she is doing well.

Thank you Carol. Will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Janetr OKC
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Welcome JAYNE nice to have another Brit think only Heather and myself but great group of ladies only thing we are so chatty you need to log in often or you get far behind. I don't always comment but do read regularly.

Hugs for LENORA and JOYCE

Watching Darts on TV at the moment love the darts :):)

Back on track after a few bad weeks, still exercising but eating wasn't so good put on some pounds which now gone so on I go, hope to lose a couple more before Spanish trip

Kate UK <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    Carol - thank you so much on the updates regarding Lenora and Joyce. Hugs and prayers for healing going out their way. <3o:) Hope they are able to post on here soon and let us know how they are doing!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka & Evie 1958: Victoria BC is one of my all-time favorite cities. We have been there many times aboard our own various sailboats and once by ferry from Anacortes. In my view, Victoria Harbor is the Magic Kingdom, and Disney can't begin to compete with its beauty and fun factor. I'd go in a heartbeat if DH felt up to the water crossing. There are other wonderful places to visit on Vancouver Island, as well. :heart:

Terry in VT: Thanks for your good wishes regarding our ailments. My headache is substantially reduced this morning & I feel better. :smiley:

Barbie: Your exercise regime is amazing. I think of you as the Energizer Bunny. :heart:

Sharon in Lethbridge: Greysyn is a very wise 14 year old. :bigsmile:

Janet OKC: I'm sorry that Joyce broke her foot. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. :star:

JayneNoor: Welcome! :bigsmile:

Peach: Thank you so much for the update on Lenora! :star:

Lenora & Joyce: You are both in my prayers. I wish a speedy recover for each of you! :heart:

It is foggy outside and we've had boats going up & down river blasting their foghorns. The sound of them makes being inside feel really cozy and also brings memories of being in cabins at the Oregon Coast with my cousins on a foggy winter day and night in 1956 or 57. The area is now called Lincoln City, but back then the little towns each had a separate name, and we were at Nelscott. The memories are good ones.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    morning peeps

///// took the marathon medals to ge engraved

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Pacific Northwest USA Looks like you ladies might be wet & gusty this weekend! singing-in-the-rain-smiley-emoticon.gif

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Joyce - Glad to see you posting. <3 Hope you heal quickly.

Sending best wishes to Lenora. :'(

We're back from the Christmas market. It was really crowded, but we had fun. DH and I bought Winchester made gin - delicious! DSIL bought an ornament and some posh tree loppers!!!!!!!!! :o We had mulled wine. :D
    Just relaxing for a moment before getting dressed for our meal out and having a pre meal drink of Aperol Spritz. DSIL used to drink this in Venice, so it's happy memories.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Joyce, OUCH! Hope you heal fast, does not sound like fun! Definitely calls for a rest day (or two!)
    KetoneKaren, yes, that is exactly what the weatherman is saying...... Love your little "singin' in the rain guy"! lol
    So glad that Lenora has been "heard" from, hoping that her health issues aren't too severe.
    Allie, glad you are letting your lawyer deal with Tom and his financial "offers"! Especially now that your hours have been cut at work, you need to be able to get everything that is your due from him. Not that you didn't deserve it before, but a few people that I have worked with over the years have said things along the lines of just wanting to get it over with, which I totally understand, but nobody should have to lower their standard of living to the point where they're worried about keeping a roof over their head just because the soon to be ex is a jerk.
    Katla, I agree, our inner harbour is quite beautiful. I just get frustrated trying to drive anywhere down there. Part of it could be because I don't live near there so I'm not familiar with the area, I actually live about 10 miles out of downtown, and I really like it here! We've got the box stores (which does cause it's own issue with so many people coming out here to shop at them) and so most of what I need/want can be had out here. Once in awhile I need to to into town for something, although not usually all the way in. I was down there a few weeks ago for the Festival of Trees. This is put on by the Children's Hospital Foundation which raises money for BC Children's Hospital in Vancouver, BC. Very big hospital and lots of seriously ill children from the Island end up there as they specialize in little people. Anyway, my work sponsors a tree so I went down to help decorate it. It was kind of fun and I won a $10 gift card for anywhere in the mall. Well, that is, I got a letter saying I could go to guest services and pick up a gift card. Not sure it's worth it, it costs about $1 per hour to park there, and then there's gas, not to mention all the traffic.... I will probably not bother, the one store that I would go to (the Bay) has another store in a mall with free parking and isn't so far away. I have an app't in that area once a month or so (for electrolysis) so if I absolutely NEED to go to that store I have that option.
    Well, I started out a few weeks ago with my new mantra, it worked well for a few days but I've taken a bit of a nosedive again. I'm not sleeping properly, so I'm tired and I know that influences my (bad) decision a lot. Not sure how to resolve the sleep issue, but I think I need to print out my mantra and paste it in a few strategic locations in the kitchen.
    Getting to a busy part of the year! Looking forward to decorating my new home (we moved in June-brand new townhouse in a small complex, only 10 units). Not looking forward to taking it all down again, but will worry about that in Jan! lol
    Hope everyone has a great day!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pacific Northwest USA Looks like you ladies might be wet & gusty this weekend! singing-in-the-rain-smiley-emoticon.gif

Right now it is foggy and windless here in my part of NW Oregon. That can change at any time. :wink:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    Mmmm
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Hugs to both Joyce and Lenora! Healing thoughts to both of you!
    Becca
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    Went out to get groceries today. We usually do that on Fridays but DH was not feeling well yesterday, not a good way to spend his birthday. I ate too much salty food the last two days and am up 2 pounds today. I will drink lots of water and hopefully it will come off soon. I enjoyed open swim at the YM yesterday and was surprised it was not crowded. I thought it might be with the kids out of school.

Healing angels to Joyce and Lenora. Hope you are both on the mend.

Margaret - Lovely birthday present.

Heather - Sounds like you had a good day. The Christmas market sounds interesting.

Betsy - Glad you made it through the trial.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA