WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Losing the same 45 lbs. Again. I have kept off 45 of the lbs I lost in 2012-2103. I can't keep this other 45 off without exercise. I have made the food adjustments but I really hate exercise. I have to have goals so, for now, I have a goal of running a 5k in the spring. I can currently walk one in 50 minutes and I was surprised I was still in that good a shape, considering the last time a ran/jogged one was in 2014. I used a foot injury as an excuse (I can use ANYTHING to talk myself out if exercise, I hate it that much) but no more. I have to make a goal/game out of it. very specific and measurable goals. I'm posting here for some accountability. thanks for listening....
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Looks like Thanksgiving was good for us! Both daughters came over, although DD#1 and BF came later and didn't eat, but they did stay awhile.

I don't remember phat chat, but vitamin F friends now comes to mind!

Well off to get some book work done. We have lots to do before Tuesday morning rolls around. Take care. Meg from sunny Omaha.
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Machka, I'm in Victoria, BC and yes, the downtown can be quite vibrant, but I avoid it all costs. Well, unless I really have to get something down there, doesn't happen very often! The traffic is just too stupid for me to deal with, often I will just jump on the bus and do it that way, it's not always as convenient, but taking in the PITA factor, it works just fine. And between the cost of parking and gas, works out to about the same cost wise. I did love the photos of old town Hobart, what an interesting area!
    Terry, glad you had some help with dinner, also glad that you can relax today!
    I read a bunch of posts yesterday and a few people commented that they kind of wished that US Thanksgiving was in Oct like here in Canada. I do like having the break between it and Christmas, not sure I would be ready for another turkey dinner so soon! lol We have a small family, so it will only be our son, daughter in law and grandson for Christmas, our younger son will not be able to get away from work and he lives 3 provinces over (approx 1500 miles). He was out this summer and will be able to get out again early summer 2018, but I miss him. Oh well, he seems fairly happy with his choice. For Thanksgiving this year, I just bought a turkey breast and a couple of thighs (I prefer dark meat) and it worked out really nice! I will do the same for Christmas, just enough leftovers for a small pot of soup and another meal. Hubby doesn't like eating leftovers for a week straight, and I'm not keen on it either, so.... And our grandson is only 18 mos old, so he doesn't eat a whole lot!
    Joaquin is so cute! Those big brown eyes!! :)
    Katla, glad to hear you are starting to feel a bit better!
    Sharon, I too dislike that Black Friday has come north! I try to avoid the stores during this period, just crazy!

DS and DIL are both getting gift cards for Christmas, got a few small things for dgs, need to get a toy or two for him, so far just a few articles of clothing. DIL has such a large family, he will get totally spoiled by them. Oh, I am making a quilt for him. It's turning out to be MUCH larger than I had planned on making it and will be too big for the crib, but will be just fine for when they turn his crib into a toddler bed, I think. It's about 5' long and almost 4' wide, but oh well! I think it's pretty cute, I will try to post a photo when I get it finished. I get together with some friends every Monday afternoon and we work on craft projects. Usually it's just our own, but in the fall we've started doing a Christmas type project. Last year we made table runners, we've done that a few times actually. Also done a few wall hangings, which is what we did this year. I just finished mine a few days ago, will try and post a photo at some point.
    Must go now, hope everyone has a great day!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Margaret xoxox , I am enjoying myself as company today, went to feed DFIL this morning ,Tom tried talking to me about settlement, and wants to just give me the 40,000 cash from the home here and give me the rest in 401k for the other house.. tried to avoid it all, will let my attorney take care of it, if he thinks im gonna settle for that he has another thing coming, and dont know if he knows the put in for upping my alimony as my hours have been cut there is a motion in the works for that..
    decorated a little more ,had some lunch and took a little nap...my girlfriend is out with family today but we are getting together tomorrow..the HVAC guy is coming this afternoon to see if we can get this bedroom unit working correctly..sent a picture of my Christmas tree to my landlord and he thought it was beautiful... <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    Seems those who celebrated had a good Thanksgiving. I am one who stays far away from Black Friday sales, no thanks. We had a good day yesterday but too much food left over. I am planning to go to the YM this afternoon and do a water workout.

Kelly - That Joaquin is a real charmer.

Margaret - Happy birthday. You share it with my DH.

Katla - Hope you are feeling better soon. I am sure Arrow is missing you.

Sharon - Hope your Black Friday isn't too bad.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,061 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    These are examples of what I picked to post black and white on Facebook...

I went to the Minneapolis Institute of Art this morning. It was there answer to Black Friday. I got to see their major exhibit for free. It was painting of major events in Europe. The two most interesting to me were one on a painting of a castle in Italy where 5% of the population that surrounded the castle died of starvation. They stormed the castle. The only portrayed the castle with a few people around it. They wanted to show the ruling class was holding strong.

They other one was of one of the first hot air balloon rides that went 27 miles about 1790. It was filled with Hydrogen and did not explode. The interesting thing was the first balloon flight landed in a farmer field and they attacked it with pitchforks. Fortunately that one did not explode either.

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    A
  • gladius173
    gladius173 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Had my gallbladder removed two days ago.. Not hungry at all. I suffer with sugar issues..not a diabetic .
    However I am a health freak and never ever ate junk food..occasional indulgence -yes.
    That would intail once in two months-pizza a beer night.
    I work out and I'm 53 yr old female.
    I live a very active life style.
    All that I've read was people gaining weight and just horrible stories.
    I am thinking that they never lived a healthy life prior. How can one just think and or assume they can eat rap and expect to lose weight. Well not I.

So my question is, had you had any weight issues-if you life a healthy and I mean a real healthy lifestyle. Advise is always welcomed and of course I take all information with a grain of salt. thank you in advance. :smile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    dogladytwo: Welcome to a great group. I like to have fun and combining exercise with fun seems like the way to go. I like yoga classes, riding bikes and I riding a horse. These all do a great job of burning calories and are fun and motivating. I hope you find fun activities that burn calories. :star:

Sue in WA: I feel better than I did but my energy level is still lower that needed for Arrow so I'm staying home for now. I let the stable owner know what is going on with me. It is only fair. She has been wonderful to me. :ohwell:

gladius: I'm here because I had weight issues for many years. My primary problem was portion control. I always ate healthy food, but I ate too much of it. While here I've learned to count calories in and calories out. I've been here 1867 days--in a row, and my weight jiggles a little but it is within a pound or two of goal. :wink: I stay here because of the support and friendships with this group of women. I hope you're feeling better after surgery. I had my galbladder out years ago and it has been a blessing.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Carol, we can only hope that Lenora must be ok if her sister has time to be on FB bashing the president. Hopefully we will hear from her soon.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Birthday for me today. The plan is Panera (St. Louis Bread Company (original name)) for birthday celebration. Loved their squash soup!

:heart: Margaret

Happy Birthday! I hope you had a lovely celebration.

• Machka9
    Options
    dogladytwo wrote: »
    Losing the same 45 lbs. Again. I have kept off 45 of the lbs I lost in 2012-2103. I can't keep this other 45 off without exercise. I have made the food adjustments but I really hate exercise. I have to have goals so, for now, I have a goal of running a 5k in the spring. I can currently walk one in 50 minutes and I was surprised I was still in that good a shape, considering the last time a ran/jogged one was in 2014. I used a foot injury as an excuse (I can use ANYTHING to talk myself out if exercise, I hate it that much) but no more. I have to make a goal/game out of it. very specific and measurable goals. I'm posting here for some accountability. thanks for listening....

Maybe you need to try something other than running.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

Obviously some things in that list aren't going to burn many calories ... but maybe something active there will catch your fancy. :)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

fl exercises- 65min, 142mhr, 17diff exercises, some w/10# weights, 4sets of 10ea= 366c
    apple watch- 345c
    manual treadmill- walk/jog- 14min, 151mhr, 1mi= 135c
    apple watch- 139c

total cal = 502
  • Machka9
    Options
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Machka, I'm in Victoria, BC and yes, the downtown can be quite vibrant, but I avoid it all costs. Well, unless I really have to get something down there, doesn't happen very often! The traffic is just too stupid for me to deal with, often I will just jump on the bus and do it that way, it's not always as convenient, but taking in the PITA factor, it works just fine. And between the cost of parking and gas, works out to about the same cost wise. I did love the photos of old town Hobart, what an interesting area!

Both times we've been there, we've cycled.

The first time, we had a rather awful hotel some distance out from the downtown, and just cycled into the centre every day to have a look around ... although one day we discovered that we could walk all the way in, and then take a pickle boat to a stop about halfway back.

The second time was this past summer.

We drove right into Victoria and stayed at a beautiful little B&B the first night. Then we drove up to Duncan the next day, and stayed overnight at a hotel there and left our car there. Then we cycled with the BC Randonneurs out to Port Renfrew and around into Victoria ... 200 km ... and stayed in that beautiful little B&B for a second night. That worked really well. They knew we were coming and we had a warm welcome back. And then the next day we cycled back up to Duncan. :)

From there we drove up to Port Hardy and back to Nanaimo to visit friends before returning to the mainland.

Not the greatest photo, but one we took from where we had dinner after the 200 km bicycle ride ... all lit up for the 150th Canada Day

35951614451_9a642b57eb_c.jpg

Machka in Oz
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Margaret - Happy Birthday!! <3B) Sounds like you got some good shopping done at Kohl's! I am not a fan of the chain letter type stuff either. I unfriended several folks on Facebook because of it.

Kelly
    - Thank you for posting the photos of Joaquin. Look at the hair on that kid - just gorgeous.

Machka - I always love seeing the little towns that are near to you. I love living in the country but it would be so nice to be able to walk to little shops now and then.

Katla
    - So sorry you still aren't feeling 100%. Great idea bringing in your live trees as Christmas trees. We've not been good about trees/decorating in the house in the past because of the cat. She's now gone so we'll see if we get inspired to find the decorations. I do want to string some solar lights on a little cedar next to the house that will hopefully get enough sun to charge them during the day.

Carol
    - that fruit bird was too cute to eat! Hopefully Lenora's sis will get back to you - maybe she's been super busy with the holiday as Machka said.

Sharon
    - what a great idea keeping a Thanksgiving book! Bet Greysyn did some good entertaining on that guitar! Does he already have one? Sending warm thoughts and strength to you on this Black Friday! Hopefully the customers will not be nasty today!

Katiebug - what a nice photo of you with your grandkids! Glad everything turned out so well in that roaster!

Barbie - how did you like "Murder on the Orient Express?" Good for you getting ready to up your weights a bit. I've started doing the wrist exercises with some 2/3 lb weights I had stashed here. Very deceptive.... didn't seem that hard but the day after, the tendons in my elbows twanged a little.

Pip - love the idea of ornaments with photos of your kids. What a lovely trip down memory lane!

Yesterday was very laid-back. I watched the whole Netflix Longmire last season on my tablet! Whew, what a marathon. Had to stop twice to recharge it a bit! I watch it close captioned so DH and I can be in the same room and watch what we want - he gets the TV, lol. I thought the first several episodes were "rocky" but the last couple were good. They wrapped up the series pretty well. Will miss seeing the scenery and horses. Now, on to "Stranger Things" and I see several more I want to watch. Only bad thing...too much sitting! I managed to get a couple walks in as the weather wasn't too icky.

Our Thanksgiving meal ended up being oven roasted bacon-wrapped chicken bites. Quite yummy. And macaroni & cheese which I haven't made in years. Turned out good as well. Easy to cut the recipe way down so we won't have to eat it for days.

I too am very thankful for this group!! The support and ideas found here are the absolute best!! Not many folks in my day-to-day life share the enthusiasm we have in this group.

Have a good day! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

We just finished watching Stranger Things. We really enjoy it.