Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Dr Jason Fung - The Useless Concept of Calories

Options

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I dunno... maybe i am just a weirdo.. but.. i can make my own donairs..

fzx67i4t3d2j.jpg
    (Cause i know people are gonna be like.. what the *kitten* is a donair?!"

But despite that.. eventually i will get a craving for one from a take out place.. even with substitutes available.
    i know there are people out there who can just not substitute and just go without.. but i feel like the amount who can compared to the amount of keto enthusiasts claiming as such just don't add up..

you know eventually i am going to look like one of those crazy conspiracy theorists who instead of ranting about a flat earth or the moon landing not happening, I will be jibber jabbering about keto and cravings lol

That's a Dürüm though!

Probably in its original country of origin. However when it came to Halifax the recipe was changed and it became a donair. It's officially our official food of halifax.

We call 'em donner kebabs here in the UK. Drunk food. If you're really all about the dirty drunk food you get just the donner meat on chips (fries).

fzx67i4t3d2j.jpg

But despite that.. eventually i will get a craving for one from a take out place.. even with substitutes available.
    i know there are people out there who can just not substitute and just go without.. but i feel like the amount who can compared to the amount of keto enthusiasts claiming as such just don't add up..

you know eventually i am going to look like one of those crazy conspiracy theorists who instead of ranting about a flat earth or the moon landing not happening, I will be jibber jabbering about keto and cravings lol

That's a Dürüm though!

Probably in its original country of origin. However when it came to Halifax the recipe was changed and it became a donair. It's officially our official food of halifax.

Okay, it's got less vegetables and some sort of sweet cocktail sauce in a pita.

511551205.jpg

@VintageFeline -- Do they use the same kind of sauce tho? Its a thick creamy white sauce made with sweetened condensed milk, vinegar and garlic?

@stevencloser -- Yeah the Donairs here are made with ground beef and a variety of spices, its spliced and then added on top of pita bread, onions and tomatoes (optional) and then the donair sauce which is what i mentioned above with the sweetened condensed milk, Etc
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thank you wikipedia :)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab

Döner in Turkey

There are many variations of döner in Turkey:

Porsiyon ("portion", döner on a slightly heated plate, sometimes with a few grilled peppers or broiled tomatoes on the side)[19][20]
    Pilavüstü ("over rice", döner served on a base of pilaf rice)[21][22]
    İskender (specialty of Bursa, served in an oblong plate, atop a base of thin pita, with a dash of pepper or tomato sauce and boiling fresh butter)[23][24] "Kebapçı İskender" is trademarked by Yavuz İskenderoğlu, whose family still runs the restaurant in Bursa.[25][26][27]
    Dürüm, wrapped in a thin lavaş that is sometimes also grilled after being rolled, to make it crispier. It has two main variants in mainland Turkey:[28]
    Soslu dürüm or SSK (sos, soğan, kaşar; in English: sauce, onion, cheese) (specialty of Ankara, contains İskender kebap sauce, making it juicier)
    Kaşarlı dürüm döner (speciality of Istanbul, grated kaşar cheese is put in the wrap which is then toasted to melt the cheese and crisp up the lavaş)[29]
    Tombik or gobit (literally "the chubby", döner in a bun-shaped pita, with crispy crust and soft inside, and generally less meat than a dürüm)[30]
    Ekmekarası ("between bread", generally the most filling version, consisting of a whole (or a half) regular Turkish bread filled with döner)[31]
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    @mph323 -- Clicked that link, I wonder which K.O.D that is, I live across the street from one.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

fzx67i4t3d2j.jpg

That's a Dürüm though!

We call 'em donner kebabs here in the UK. Drunk food. If you're really all about the dirty drunk food you get just the donner meat on chips (fries).

fzx67i4t3d2j.jpg

That's a Dürüm though!

511551205.jpg

@VintageFeline -- Do they use the same kind of sauce tho? Its a thick creamy white sauce made with sweetened condensed milk, vinegar and garlic?

@stevencloser -- Yeah the Donairs here are made with ground beef and a variety of spices, its spliced and then added on top of pita bread, onions and tomatoes (optional) and then the donair sauce which is what i mentioned above with the sweetened condensed milk, Etc

Beef? Your big meat on a stick turning in front of a grill is beef? Here it's lamb. And yep, you can have garlic sauce though there's no condensed milk involved as far as I'm aware.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Döner in Turkey

Porsiyon ("portion", döner on a slightly heated plate, sometimes with a few grilled peppers or broiled tomatoes on the side)[19][20]
    İskender (specialty of Bursa, served in an oblong plate, atop a base of thin pita, with a dash of pepper or tomato sauce and boiling fresh butter)[23][24] "Kebapçı İskender" is trademarked by Yavuz İskenderoğlu, whose family still runs the restaurant in Bursa.[25][26][27]
    Dürüm, wrapped in a thin lavaş that is sometimes also grilled after being rolled, to make it crispier. It has two main variants in mainland Turkey:[28]
    Soslu dürüm or SSK (sos, soğan, kaşar; in English: sauce, onion, cheese) (specialty of Ankara, contains İskender kebap sauce, making it juicier)
    Kaşarlı dürüm döner (speciality of Istanbul, grated kaşar cheese is put in the wrap which is then toasted to melt the cheese and crisp up the lavaş)[29]
    Tombik or gobit (literally "the chubby", döner in a bun-shaped pita, with crispy crust and soft inside, and generally less meat than a dürüm)[30]
    Ekmekarası ("between bread", generally the most filling version, consisting of a whole (or a half) regular Turkish bread filled with döner)[31]

None of those really sound like a donair though.. the recipe was changed quite a bit i guess.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Hahaha omg. I'm gonna click this when I get home

It's good for meditation. You get to watch the meat go round and round on the skewer while cooking, then presumably a pair of hands comes out of nowhere, removes the finished meat and puts a new roll on the skewer. It's kind of hypnotic.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    This is what ours look like. I have it with garlic sauce, well I say I have it, I don't remember when I last ate one. You can get other sauces though.

3ow9cw9vqn49.jpg
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Döner in Turkey

None of those really sound like a donair though.. the recipe was changed quite a bit i guess.

I love the donairs from Mezza. I also love their chicken shawarmas even better.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options

fzx67i4t3d2j.jpg

That's a Dürüm though!

fzx67i4t3d2j.jpg

That's a Dürüm though!

511551205.jpg

Beef? Your big meat on a stick turning in front of a grill is beef? Here it's lamb. And yep, you can have garlic sauce though there's no condensed milk involved as far as I'm aware.

Yes ma'am, Sounds like you guys have Gyros?

md2b9hyqq1th.png
  • VintageFeline
    Options

fzx67i4t3d2j.jpg

That's a Dürüm though!

fzx67i4t3d2j.jpg

That's a Dürüm though!

511551205.jpg

Yes ma'am, Sounds like you guys have Gyros?

md2b9hyqq1th.png

I suppose. Not Greek though, always in the Turkish kebab shops so donner kebab.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options

Hahaha omg. I'm gonna click this when I get home

It's good for meditation. You get to watch the meat go round and round on the skewer while cooking, then presumably a pair of hands comes out of nowhere, removes the finished meat and puts a new roll on the skewer. It's kind of hypnotic.

oh haha. neat. the one on there right now is pretty much gone.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    This is what ours look like. I have it with garlic sauce, well I say I have it, I don't remember when I last ate one. You can get other sauces though.

3ow9cw9vqn49.jpg

Pretty much like the German one.

1024px-Doener_berlin_kraeuter.jpg
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm now I want a kebab...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I don't think we have those here in the States. If we do, we never had them anywhere near where I grew up.

Gyros? We have those.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    And we got beef (calf to be precise) and chicken most commonly.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't think we have those here in the States. If we do, we never had them anywhere near where I grew up.

Gyros? We have those.

I'm in the US and there is a Turkish-style doner place by my house. But it's relatively new and hipsterish, I have no idea how authentic it is (my husband really likes them though).
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options

Döner in Turkey

I love the donairs from Mezza. I also love their chicken shawarmas even better.

I havent had one from Mezza, but when i worked at scotia square the mezza there always gave me tons of pizza to take home when they closed.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Gyros? We have those.

I'm in the US and there is a Turkish-style doner place by my house. But it's relatively new and hipsterish, I have no idea how authentic it is (my husband really likes them though).

There could be some in the Philly area now for all I know. I don't exactly stay on top of what's new and exciting in the dining out world given all my food issues.

I just never came across one when I still ate meat.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Donairs are typically sold at pretty much every pizza place here standard.. Since they typically aren't really a specialty food since the current form of them originated here.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Similar here, most kebab shops will do pizza too and there's at least 5 every mile. We love a kebab. Quality obviously varies.
This discussion has been closed.