Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Dr Jason Fung - The Useless Concept of Calories

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't think we have those here in the States. If we do, we never had them anywhere near where I grew up.

Gyros? We have those.

I'm in the US and there is a Turkish-style doner place by my house. But it's relatively new and hipsterish, I have no idea how authentic it is (my husband really likes them though).

There could be some in the Philly area now for all I know. I don't exactly stay on top of what's new and exciting in the dining out world given all my food issues.

I just never came across one when I still ate meat.

Yeah, if this wasn't in my neighborhood I think I would be completely unaware of it.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Similar here, most kebab shops will do pizza too and there's at least 5 every mile. We love a kebab. Quality obviously varies.

Its too bad you can't come here and try these ones. I guess there was a huge hubub about a WWE star coming to halifax for a donair lol..
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me how craving the taste and texture of a delicious food is an emotional craving? lol

Can someone explain how it isn't?

Craving a flavor/tactile experience is just that, A craving. It's not hunger. It feels like hunger. It acts like hunger, but it's not.

Yeah, but that's not emotion. It doesn't make me want to cry or hug my mother...

There are other emotions.

Which one correlates with me being in the mood for a donut?
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me how craving the taste and texture of a delicious food is an emotional craving? lol

Can someone explain how it isn't?

Craving a flavor/tactile experience is just that, A craving. It's not hunger. It feels like hunger. It acts like hunger, but it's not.

Yeah, but that's not emotion. It doesn't make me want to cry or hug my mother...

There are other emotions.

Which one correlates with me being in the mood for a donut?

probably anger when some rat *kitten* cut you off while driving lolol.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I dunno... maybe i am just a weirdo.. but.. i can make my own donairs..

fzx67i4t3d2j.jpg
    (Cause i know people are gonna be like.. what the *kitten* is a donair?!"

But despite that.. eventually i will get a craving for one from a take out place.. even with substitutes available.
    i know there are people out there who can just not substitute and just go without.. but i feel like the amount who can compared to the amount of keto enthusiasts claiming as such just don't add up..

you know eventually i am going to look like one of those crazy conspiracy theorists who instead of ranting about a flat earth or the moon landing not happening, I will be jibber jabbering about keto and cravings lol

That's a Dürüm though!

Probably in its original country of origin. However when it came to Halifax the recipe was changed and it became a donair. It's officially our official food of halifax.

We call 'em donner kebabs here in the UK. Drunk food. If you're really all about the dirty drunk food you get just the donner meat on chips (fries).
    I dunno... maybe i am just a weirdo.. but.. i can make my own donairs..

fzx67i4t3d2j.jpg
    (Cause i know people are gonna be like.. what the *kitten* is a donair?!"

But despite that.. eventually i will get a craving for one from a take out place.. even with substitutes available.
    i know there are people out there who can just not substitute and just go without.. but i feel like the amount who can compared to the amount of keto enthusiasts claiming as such just don't add up..

you know eventually i am going to look like one of those crazy conspiracy theorists who instead of ranting about a flat earth or the moon landing not happening, I will be jibber jabbering about keto and cravings lol

That's a Dürüm though!

Probably in its original country of origin. However when it came to Halifax the recipe was changed and it became a donair. It's officially our official food of halifax.

Okay, it's got less vegetables and some sort of sweet cocktail sauce in a pita.

511551205.jpg

@VintageFeline -- Do they use the same kind of sauce tho? Its a thick creamy white sauce made with sweetened condensed milk, vinegar and garlic?

@stevencloser -- Yeah the Donairs here are made with ground beef and a variety of spices, its spliced and then added on top of pita bread, onions and tomatoes (optional) and then the donair sauce which is what i mentioned above with the sweetened condensed milk, Etc

Beef? Your big meat on a stick turning in front of a grill is beef? Here it's lamb. And yep, you can have garlic sauce though there's no condensed milk involved as far as I'm aware.

Yes ma'am, Sounds like you guys have Gyros?

md2b9hyqq1th.png

I suppose. Not Greek though, always in the Turkish kebab shops so donner kebab.

Nope gyros is something different to dinner kebab
    We have a Greek takeaway near me, soooooo good, has a very distinct sauce
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I am getting the biggest kick thinking how horrified Fung would be at the turn this conversation has taken.

Lol.. a large donair.. on average i would say is somewhere between 1000-1100 calories.. given the pound of medium ground beef etc thats in them... since calories are a useless concept, maybe i should go on a donair diet and not count those calories at all.

Sure, just don't eat the wrap - carbs are :naughty: Mwa-hah-hah-ha.
  • EEAngelina
    EEAngelina Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    BOOM!! Why are you wasting our time?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    xxzenabxx wrote: »

At this point talking to people on this forum is a complete utter waste of time. He clearly states that you need a calorie deficit and a hormonal balance to lose weight. Of course you must be blinded with rage, skimmed all the good stuff and taken something out of context. I've been reading his stuff for weeks and he says that purist Cico folk are angry people! How right he is! So you think that the human body is some sort of calculator? We must have all these hormones for NO reason. They're the ones that decide whether the calories are going to be used as energy or stored as fat. Okay, I'm off. Have a good night people!

After looking at the website, he comes across someone trying to make a buck off people desperate to lose weight. Sorry.

Copy right from the ad ... "Revolutionary 45-Second "Intelligent Movement"
    Strips off Stubborn Fat and Tones Flabby Muscle
    Non-stop for 48-72 Hours...While You're Relaxing!
    PLUS: Unleashes a Cocktail of Youth-Enhancing Hormones Making You Look Younger, Feel Better, Relieving Pain And Bringing Back Your Energy, Focus and Drive!"

If he is legit, he's not coming across that way to me at all. :neutral: And I have a metabolic disorder. And I lost weight by having a calorie deficit. And I eat carbs.

It's all nonsense but "flabby muscle"? What the.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why an emotional craving is bad? Should I care that I want that bread? I mean again.. if I have the calories for it I can eat that bread no problem. I have known myself 31 years and at this point I know what I enjoy.. i know what foods usually cycle through for me. It would seem silly to me for me to go low carb or keto simply to what? Not have an emotional craving? Avoid a food that isn't bad? You know what I worked on once I got medicated for my BED? Eating in a way that doesn't result in me just going too long without something and maintaining control through moderate amounts and rotations of foods. The medications stop my brain from not being able to stop and put me in a place where I can now choose and control what I do with food. And like others it was not easy to not say screw it and eat an entire package of 4 oh Henry bars but I worked hard at it so that I don't have to go to extremes to not have cravings even emotional ones.

Emotional cravings aren't necessarily a negative an can be quite comforting/therapeutic. They can be a problem when used as a way to avoid dealing with something else (commonly called "eating your feelings") or when they cause a person to overeat to the point of being unhealthy--in the short term, eating until over-stuffed (some people gorge themselves to the point of being sick) and long term, causing unhealthy weight gain.

I make my Dad's potato and leek soup when I miss him. When I make it, I remember those days in the kitchen with him. I eat a bowl or two and portion the rest out and put it in the freezer. If I binge and eat it all/most at once, that would signal a problem as I've gone beyond a little comfort and into a whole 'nother territory.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,900 Member
    Options
    Well I guess this explains the incongruity of walking into a donair shop and having a "halifax" donair as an option!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble getting past the "pound of medium ground beef"...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    BOOM!! Why are you wasting our time?

We have moved on to a better topic. Now i must figure out this donair thing and see if we have it around my house
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Just when i thought i couldnt take this thread and less seriously, Donairs save the day!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I didn't know we had doner kebab (looked like gyros to me too), and we have a place called Mezza that has chicken shwarma and various other pitas, but none called doner kebab, but I checked and it seems we do. Maybe have to taste test.

This place looks potentially cool: https://www.donermen.com/ (doner kebab, German style)

Various others too: https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Doner+Kebab&find_loc=Chicago,+IL
This discussion has been closed.