WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Lisa- a picture for you. olgosujxi6rh.jpeg
    Allie- congrats on your pup and new position. My hope is that the new people will value your talents.
    Suebdew in TX
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,187 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    While my husband is doing the work of 3 people on the orchard these days, today I found out my workload is about to increase too!

A coworker engaged me in conversation on the way out of the building a couple months ago, and we chatted about my university course. Just before we went our separate ways, he asked me if I had a chance to do any practical work with what I was learning on our work systems. I told him that it had been suggested several times, but nothing had ever come of it.

A couple weeks later, he asked me if I'd be interested in setting up what are essentially short classes where he is teaching me SQL and all about our database systems ... how they interconnect, tips and tricks and everything. We've been doing that for the last couple months. Lots of practice stuff behind the scenes.

In a meeting today, he and I were informed that we'll be working on a new project and it looks like I'll be both learning and actually doing ... for real! He and I are meeting tomorrow to discuss the whole thing.

It's kind of exciting and scary all at the same time!

Machka in Oz

We're leaping right in! I'll start working on the first portion of the project on Monday and we're hoping to have it well underway before the Christmas break!!

The first step is detailed, meticulous stuff more or less comparing and defining what we've got and what we want to do ... but I'm one of the strange people in the world who actually enjoys going through lists of data line by line and other meticulous and potentially tedious jobs like that.

Regarding Christmas ...

We've decided what we're doing for Christmas dinner! We're going to a hotel that is serving Christmas dinners and have also invited my husband's sister and her new partner if he wants to come.

We decided to go this route because we are both so busy (and so is my husband's sister) that trying to do the shopping, cooking, etc. etc. is just too much of a hassle. This takes the pressure off ... we can just go and enjoy dinner.

And the menu at this particular hotel was quite appealing too. We suspect it will be a buffet-style, based on what they say in the menu, which suits me because I can load up on steamed veggies while my husband gets into the seafood chowder, roast pork and ham.
    The dinner menu is:

Seafood Chowder
    Roast Turkey
    Roast Pork
    Ham
    Steamed Veggies
    Selection of Fresh Salads
    Selection of Traditional Christmas Desserts
    Cheese Board
    Tea & Coffee

Here in Australia, it does seem to be a Christmas tradition to have something seafood as a first course. Often it is prawns but in this case they are doing the seafood chowder. I'm not a fan of most seafood, so I'll probably skip that one.

It is also a tradition to have at least turkey and ham ... of the meats listed there, I only like the turkey.

The steamed veggies and fresh salads really appeal to me. :)

The selection of traditional Christmas desserts also appeals to me. In that selection, I'm guessing there will likely be: mince tarts or pie, Christmas fruit cake and/or Christmas pudding, pavlova and trifle. Those are the four main "traditional Christmas desserts". :) And if there is, I intend to have some of everything! :grin:

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Rye - thanks so much for the dimensions. Now I just have to go look for them. Maybe after the holidays.

Steve just called, he'd like to stay here the 18th and 19th. Vince told him "no problem, but there'll be a fee this time. You have to help our webmaster". See, remember when I told you that our webmaster suddenly died? Well, another guy is taking over, but there are some things that the previous guy did that he's having problems with. As Vince puts it "Steve's middle name should be Sequel" (or however it's spelled). I know that Steve can help him.

Mary - that's awesome that you were offered the position. Tubes in the ears is no big deal.

katla - OUCH!!! Take care of yourself.

Allie - that will be one really lucky doggie. Congrats. Don't forget pics!!!

drkatiebug - I never heard of a Biz bucket. I'll certainly give it a try, maybe after the holidays. At this point, I'll give ANYTHING a try.

Had a friend over and watched the movie "Sully". We'd never seen it.

Off to take a shower

Michele in NC
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Feeling discouraged...cholesterol numbers are up again even though I have not gained weight and have been going to the Y a couple of days a week. Today I just wanted to pack it all in and have a real lunch with cookies, followed by 2 whole bread slices with dinner. But I didn't.
    Feeling like I have to give in and go on meds for this. I need reasons to keep at this diet and exercise thing besides looking better. I know I am irrational right now...sorry for ranting. I feel like I just try so hard. It does not help that one of my best friends is in hospice and my emotions are in full gear from that.
    Tried to push myself in other ways and finally finished the embroidery for a project I must have started 15 years ago.Also actually made Christmas cards yesterday.
    But ladies I need encouragement on health. I am not thinking clearly. Tonight I feel like giving up. Tell me why I I shouldn't?
    Betty ROC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Betty- (((hugs)) i'm sorry to hear all that you are going through. Lean on us when you need to. We are all here for you.

<3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    well the pups name now is Alfalfa,to long for me I am thinking of something easy.. probably Finn.
    only problem being is I will have to keep him with me at Toms house while he is in Florida...but will bring him here to get him used to it too...he is a snuggler... so that will be wonderful....will post pics when he gets here..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,187 Member
    Options
    Feeling discouraged...cholesterol numbers are up again even though I have not gained weight and have been going to the Y a couple of days a week.

Some people just have higher cholesterol. My mother's side of the family seems to be like that and it doesn't seem to matter what they eat or what their weight is.

That said, in the week or two before you have it checked next time, you might consider adopting a vegetarian or Mediterranean type of diet just to see if that makes any difference at all.

Also, do you do any other exercise such as going for walks around the neighbourhood or mall walking several days a week? The recommendation is to work up to 30 min a day if you can ... even just a stroll. :)

And then sometimes you can do everything right, but you'll just be genetically inclined to have higher cholesterol.

M in Oz
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Feeling discouraged...cholesterol numbers are up again even though I have not gained weight and have been going to the Y a couple of days a week. Today I just wanted to pack it all in and have a real lunch with cookies, followed by 2 whole bread slices with dinner. But I didn't.
    Feeling like I have to give in and go on meds for this. I need reasons to keep at this diet and exercise thing besides looking better. I know I am irrational right now...sorry for ranting. I feel like I just try so hard. It does not help that one of my best friends is in hospice and my emotions are in full gear from that.
    Tried to push myself in other ways and finally finished the embroidery for a project I must have started 15 years ago.Also actually made Christmas cards yesterday.
    But ladies I need encouragement on health. I am not thinking clearly. Tonight I feel like giving up. Tell me why I I shouldn't?
    Betty ROC

Oh, Betty, wish I were close enough to give you a big hug. I totally hear you and believe me, I understand. Big cudos on not giving in to cookies, bread etc because I'm not sure I'd be that successful. My sister a year older than me has never been overweight in her life. She did however gain weight after 50 and no longer working although she and her husband have remained physically active. Her cholesterol was high, which she only knew from going to Health Fairs and getting blood work done, she had not been to a doctor in ten years. In August she suffered a massive heart attack, the lower right half of her heart is permanently damaged. They almost lost her that night in the emergency room.

The point of my long tale is this, high cholesterol can very dangerous and you don't want to go there. Hang in there with your eating and try to up the exercise in little ways every day. And remember YOU ARE WORTH IT.

Big hugs, one step at a time <3

Janetr OKC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Betty - I know you feel discouraged, but sometimes it really is genetic and there's not a d*** thing you can do about it. That isn't a license to give up good eating and exercise, just to watch it. Barbie is right -- we are lucky that there are meds available now. (((hugs))), keep leaning on us.

Allie - I'm glad you're going to change Alfalfa's name. That name reminds me of the Little Rascals. How great it is that he's a snuggler

Michele in NC
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Alfie is cute too.

I have never had my cholesterol checked as far as I know. Betty, count yourself lucky that at least you know and are taking proactive steps to do what is needed. I'll bet there are lots of natural ways to control cholestrol. I would be asking Dr. Google, it it were me. As for motivation to stick to your diet even when feeling highly emotional with a best friend in hospice...tell yourself that you are doing the very best you can in such a difficult time and how awesome you are! Dieting isn't easy at the best of times. Well done on your self control. And if you fail, one meal isn't a lifetime and tomorrow is a new day and if you fall of the horse you can always get back on again. <3 Wendy
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Blood Pressure, I'm supposed to take it daily for my next Dr visit, but it is so uncomfortable to do that I just don't. We got our machine at Walgreens. Does anyone have any tips?

Machka, what a story! Near tragedy, persistence through setbacks, unexpectedly positive people connections, deepening existing relationship, triumph after triumph all topped off with a happy ending... you should write a movie!
    Becca, DH blew the needles off the deck, then "helped" me by blowing the needles from the dining room rug out to the deck. So I was stuck getting out the dreaded machine and vacuuming all the needles out of the edges and corners. It IS nicer to walk on clean floors but with two dogs, we could do it every day and never get them all. Love the chalk board!
    Rye proprioception was a new word to me, thanks! Sounds like me trying to eat soup with my left hand, goes up my nose, in my eye, etc etc etc
    Heather ditto what NYKAren said about Sing Along Messiahs, and midnight showings of the Rocky Horror Picture Show (you too Kelly and Rye?), but never heard of a the Sing-Along-Sound-of-Music. Sounds like a blast!
    Lanette thanks for the booklet! But the temp in your little room is WAY too cold. "Brrrrr!"
    Wendy Beautiful unicorn by the sea.
    Mary, congratulations! Vacation's over ;}
    Katla, I prefer cast iron too!
    Allie congratulations on your early Christmas present. Pics please?
    Was it Kim who fell due the change from darkness to bright sunlight? Have you considered transition lenses?

Time to turn in, up early tomorrow for the bi monthy pilgrimage to Winco and Trader Joe's, three hours away.

Will put off further micro action plans 'til Saturday.

Hugs to all,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.

Today so far
    :( no BP/80%
    :) CLO, prob, yog, changed SIM card got iphone working again, vacuumed/weeded/danced, <1500 cals.

Yesterday
    :( no dancing/BP/80%, no micro action weeding
    :) wii 51 mins/163C, 40 mins dog walk, log, CLO, prob + yog, <1500 cals, spoke to a stranger at Advent soup supper

cumulative
    :( no walking 4; no dancing yet; no BP 6; no 80% rule yet BUT STOPPED eating and drinking both Mon and Tues instead of going back for more. Alas yesterday I found a new trigger food: Jordan almonds. Thanks Joe! ;)
    :) log 6; CLO 6; yog 4; prob 3; <1500 cals 5; walking 2; read forum from phone=done; wii fit=3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,361 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The non alcoholic prosecco I ordered tastes very pleasant, but nothing like Prosecco. :'( It's a sparkling grape juice, fortunately not too sweet. Only 33 calories a glass. So far I've most enjoyed the non alcoholic beers. Anyway, yesterday was AF. Hooray!
    My beans have been sprouting overnight in the IP. :D I'm soon to go down and greet them!
    Tonight we are having a rare treat - slow roasted shoulder of lamb. I use beer as a basting agent. Haven't had it in years. Lots of fresh thyme and rosemary from our garden. Garlic. The smell will be driving me mad for hours! Lamb is DH 's favourite meat, though he likes the more expensive cuts very rare. The shoulder is the only cut we like well done.

I'm going to marzipan his Christmas cake today. <3

I'm getting very near the end of my memoir. :o Lots of typing up to do though. How wonderful it would be to have the bulk of it done by Christmas. B):D:p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Checking in. More tomorrow
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    HEATHER congrats on near completion of the memoir. Roast shoulder of lamb is favourite of ours and I use leftover in a curry

BETTY I think high cholesterol can be genetic and there is a lot of evidence that it isn't the main culprit in heart disease. Mine is slightly raised but I told the Dr no way was I taking Statins. You do what feels right for you and as everyone has said, eat healthy and exercise each day.

Hope I haven't opened a can of worms on the cholesterol thing, it's just my own opinion

Still loving tree ornaments

My mini fast is working, I know some of the loss will be water but hopefully some of excess pounds, another week until holiday so should have some wiggle room for tapas, wine and beer

Thoughts are with poor people caught up in wildfires

Kate UK <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Betty, When I found out that I had to take cholesterol meds in spite of all my efforts to avoid them, I felt like you say you feel. Someone told me to be grateful that such meds existed to allow me to live longer. Now 20 years later I am thinner, healthier and more active and still alive :)

BettyRead Barbie's quote over and over and over. Sounds like your grief and worry for your friend is at the heart of this. You are making changes and the results are not instantaneous. Healthy food and exercise are part of your life now, you aren't giving up. <3<3<3 NYKAREN