WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Heather can I come along to the sing along? Wish they had them here. I’d love that.

Allie, you have both skills and experience. They will feel fortunate to have found you. I’m sending good thoughts your way. We are right there with you perched on your shoulder. Good luck!

Another so so day. Trying not to beat myself up about my food choices. When I’m ready I’ll know.

Warm hugs from VT

Terry
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Terry, I tried a "tepid" shower this morning after reading the article link you posted, and lasted about thirty seconds. Maybe I'll try cold tomorrow, LOL. Interesting theory might be worth a try anyway. I don't know how other people make devilled eggs but I put in mayonaise, mustard, curry powder, salt and pepper with the yolk and mix them up, then top them with a sprinkle of paprika and parsley sprigs. A family favourite.

Heather, the sing along sounds like so much fun! Wish they had it here.

Oh Machka, I had a look for the "egg" pavlova at my supermarket in the cake section and the jello pudding section but no luck. However I can get a pav base for $7.00 and then I have to buy the whipped cream and kiwi fruit to top it. My ex-best friend stold my mixer so I can't even try to make a home-made one now. ( Only one of the reasons she is my Ex!) <3 Wendy
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,701 Member
    Options
    total cal 1130, will list tomorrow
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,387 Member
    Options
    Went to water aerobics today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Jari Love's Ripped to the Core DVD.

Does anyone have any idea how to whiten white yarn? I made a tree skirt a while ago, and we just took it out of the box. When I went to put it under the tree, it was all yellowed with age. I tried soaking it in vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, even baking soda. Nothing seemed to whiten it. Does anyone have any suggestions? There are red and green stripes so I'm VERY hesitant to use any bleach, even diluted bleach. I also tried soaking it in the Clorox for colored items. No go.

M - how wonderful that you got your bicycle back! Beautiful decorations

Barbara - Friday will be the first time I'm going to try making that cheese "tree" for the mahjongg party. Hope it comes out OK. If so, that'll be my "go to" this holiday season. Thank you, drkatiebug, for suggesting the Sociables for the "star".

Exercised, then helped at the fundraiser, stopped at the Salvation Army, then home and made a cake for the guy whose house we're going to Fri. His birthday is next Thurs. Unfortunately, it stuck to the pan so I'm now making another one only this time not in a bundt cake pan but a 6" pan so I can use parchment paper on the bottom. I have some icing in the freezer so I can ice it (and maybe get that container out of the freezer). Went to ceramics tonight now making the second cake.

I was thinking this may be the last year at the fundraiser, but my neighbor kept saying how she appreciated being able to depend on me. Most of the others that they have bussing the tables are people who are in Connections (for people with mental disabilities). Got some ornaments at the Salvation Army. They seem to package them and I usually only want them individually. However, I bought the package and just took what I wanted and will redonate the rest. Also got these bows and am using one for the top of one of our Christmas trees (the real small one)

suebdew - I couldn't find actual star (5-pointed) crackers. I was thinking that maybe I would take a biscuit that needs to be baked (one of the ones in a canister), roll it out thin, use a star cookie cutter and bake it. Then drkatiebug suggested Sociables. They have a cracker that sort-of looks like a star. I'm going to use that.

Heather - have fun at the sing-a-long. Post a pic of you in your dress. Sounds like so much fun

Allie and Mary - good luck to you both

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,170 Member
    Options
    Oh Machka, I had a look for the "egg" pavlova at my supermarket in the cake section and the jello pudding section but no luck. However I can get a pav base for $7.00 and then I have to buy the whipped cream and kiwi fruit to top it. My ex-best friend stold my mixer so I can't even try to make a home-made one now. ( Only one of the reasons she is my Ex!) <3 Wendy

The first time or two that I made a pavlova, I used those pav bases. I like the egg mix things slightly better, but the pre-made bases are pretty good too.

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Cathy - You are doing so great. Keep up the conscientious logging.

Bree - let's do this together.

Allie - Listen to your gut about the new job.
    I miss our YorkiePoo - Louie. He was a star.

Barbie - Your bear certainly looks much loved.

Margaret - that is such very good news for your DH.

It's been busy. A little crazy. My body is recovering from the fall. My hip still yearns for the heating pad by the time I get home from work.

Seems like Larry has ripped something in his rotator cuff. They are sending him for an MRI in Jan. He didn't get a prescription for physio. I told him you have to be proactive and ask. Tomorrow he has a chiropractor appointment.

Have I already told you how much I enjoyed decorating with the grands on Sunday? The almost 15 yr old came and helped me clean and set up the tree. We had a cup of hot chocolate and talked of a few things. The girls were very pleased with the end product. Greysyn, of course, put the Santa,sleigh and reindeers up on my mirror. He also placed all of my Mom's ornaments. It isn't designer but it full of love and memories.

Today a very important friend of mine came to the store with her daughter and granddaughter. She is important because we have known each other since she was 3 and I was 4. There have been times when there has been years between our visits and it is always like we had just talked yesterday. We had a quick catch up and some heart felt hugs. I miss her.

My cousins came in and asked me out for lunch. They showed me photos of their Branson/Nashville/Dollywood tour. They had a blast! Ignited the travel bug in me again.

Larry has been cooking in the Instapot. He is trying out recipes that I haven't used for years. I think the rich dishes and the cayenne he keeps putting in everything have put my silent reflux into overdrive. Just ate crackers after getting rid of everything else. There were reasons that I stopped making stroganoff etc.

Day off and I hope to enjoy it. I have a lot to accomplish. I want to get everything to send to BC.

-Sharon in Lethbridge, Alberta (hoping this episode is done)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,351 Member
    Options
    We were up for 7 am when the company rang to say the dishwasher guys were on the way. They arrived at 7.40 and were all done by 8.00. :D DH is the "washer-upper" so he is delighted. It is unfortunate that we had to buy a new one so close to a potential move, but we can always sell it if the new place has a built in one. It's great that the company plumbs in and takes away the old one for a reasonable fee.
    Then we did our exercises! o:)
    Going to wrap the big presents today so I can see if I need to buy more paper. This year the kids' presents are physically huge! :o
    Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Review ... (Distances include cycling + walking)
    March 15: 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min
    April: 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min
    May: 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    June: 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    July 2015: 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    Aug: 211.3 km (131.3 miles) = 28 hours 8 min
    Sep 2015: 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Oct: 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Nov: 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Dec: 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Jan: 864.79 km (537.35 miles) = 65 hours 36 min
    Feb: 470.53 km (292.4 miles) = 40 hours 39 min
    March 16: 917.73 km (570.2 miles) = 66 hours 13 min
    April: 417.83 km (259.6 miles) = 40 hours 23 min
    May: 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min
    June: 552.1 km (343 miles) = 54 hours 48 min
    July 2016: 709 km (440.5 miles) = 60 hours 41 minutes
    Aug: 775.9 km (482.1 miles) = 54 hours 52 minutes
    Sep 2016: 371.3 km (230.7 miles) = 32 hours 20 min
    Oct: 649 km (403.3 miles) = 49 hours 46 min
    Nov: 403 km (250.4 miles) = 52 hours 16 min
    Dec: 511.05 km (317.55 miles) = 52 hours 2 min
    Jan: 741.9 km (461.0 miles) = 70 hours 3 min
    Feb: 600.5 km (373.1 miles) = 57 hours 30 min
    Mar: 1113.2 km (691.7 miles) = 78 hours 25 min
    Apr: 1181.9 km (734.4 miles) = 76 hours 45 min
    May: 426.6 km (265.1 miles) = 39 hours 21 min
    June: 575.7 km (357.7 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    July: 714 km (443.7 miles) = 52 hours 23 min
    August: 475.8 km (295.6 miles) = 38 hours 41 min
    September: 455.5 km (283 miles) = 41 hours 25 min
    October: 647.1 km (402.1 miles) = 57 hours 19 min
    November: 427.0 km (265.3 miles) = 50 hours 4 min

Dec 2015: 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Dec 2016: 511.05 km (317.55 miles) = 52 hours 2 min

Looking back, I see I managed nearly 55 hours in 2015 and 52 hours in 2016. So looking forward, here's hoping for a full 55 hours in 2017. :)

Dec 1 - 1.6 km walking (20 min) + 4 flights of 20 stairs (3 min)

Dec 2 - 7 km running (56 min) ... 45 min running + 11 min walking to warm up and cool down

Dec 3 - 9.5 km cycling indoors (30 min) + 6.25 km rowing (40 min)

Dec 4 - 5.2 km walking (65 min) + 14 flights of stairs (11 min)

Dec 5 - 6.5 km walking (85 min) + 10 flights of stairs (8 min)

Dec 6 - 5.2 km walking (65 min) + 14 flights of stairs (11 min) + 15 min of weightlifting

Dec 7 - 2.5 km running (25 min) + 2.9 km walking (40 min) + 6.33 km cycling indoors (20 min) + 20 flights of stairs (16 min) + 12 min of weightlifting

2017 Monthly December
    Walking Distance (km): 30.9
    Walking Time (min): 354.8
    Cycling Distance (km): 15.8
    Cycling Time (min): 50.0
    Flights of Stairs Climbed Number: 62.0
    Flights of Stairs Climbed Time (min): 49.6
    Other Distance: 6.3
    Other Time: 67.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 53.0
    Total Distance (miles): 32.9
    Total Time (min): 521.3
    Total Time (hr): 8:41:20
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

And it's a frosty 25f out there right now. DH's goal is to not have the heat pump come on - so the living room has the small radiator-type space heater doing it's job, temp in there is 62. When DH gets the woodstove lit, it will climb up to 70 pretty quickly. I don't mind at all, I've lived most of my life in cold houses and prefer that over hot ones!

I attended the Area Agency on Aging meeting yesterday - the speaker handed out a brochure about how to make our homes safer = get rid of trip hazards, monitor medications, etc. They also emphasized exercise - strengthening leg muscles and working on balance!

Here's a link to a booklet the Washington State Dept of Health created - hope it doesn't get stripped out: http://here.doh.wa.gov/materials/stay-active-and-independent-for-life-an-information-guide-for-adults-65/33_SAILguide_E06L.pdf

If it does, you can probably find it if you google "Washington State DOH Falls Prevention SAILguide" SAIL is the acronym for Stay Active and Independent for Life.

The speaker hadn't heard of the Strong Women Stay Young book - and others by Miriam Nelson so I sent her the "StrongWomen.com" link. Looks like they have updated that website recently.

Happy Thursday! I'll be back in a bit-

Lanette
    Starry SW WA State
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Wendy ~ I love the photos of you, the horse, and the beautiful water scene. :)

Allie & Mary ~ Good luck on your potential jobs.

All who have shown your decorations....BEAUTIFUL!

We are supposed to be getting a new roof put up today. Very cold so hope it works out. I hope to be able to get new windows put in next Spring. Then, there are the bathrooms to update. Never ending!

Carol in GA

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am here and reading all of the posts! Happy Thursday! I had my annual physical Tuesday. That went okay. My weight is up from last year at this time (not a surprise), but my blood pressure was also up (that was a surprise). It is still within the "normal" range; just the high end of normal. Then, we had to have a visiting nurse come to our home yesterday (Wednesday) because we are applying for life insurance. Now that DH is unemployed, it is too expensive to stay on the insurance coverage we had with his former employer, so we are shopping. Anyway, this nurse took my BP three times (which is their procedure as they take an average of the three). All three readings had me at my normal bp, which is 20 points lower than what it read at the doctor's office the day before! Has that ever happened to any one else?
    I woke up this morning to snow! Yea! Only a couple inches, but still had to clear the driveway for childcare parents. Easy work, light snow. Got yelled at by hubby when I got in, for being out there with my bad knee. Oh well. It didn't hurt and it felt good to me.

Heather- Your sing a long sounds like it will be a great time! A went to a Singing in the Rain sing a long, with a friend, a couple of years ago. We had a blast! The Sound Of Music is one of those musicals where you know the words to all of the songs no matter how long it has been since you have seen it.
    Machka -I love all of your activity that you fit in each month! You are one of my inspirations to live a healthier life!
    Wendy- Love the pics! Your cook out sounds fantastic! So happy you made some new connections and have some new adventures ahead of you!
    Rocky Horror Picture Show- I can't remember who brought that up, in regards to Heather's sing a long date. When I was a teenager, I went to that movie every Friday for a year. It was $1, midnight movie, and the audience was always dressed as the characters, we all had our bag full of "props" and we all knew the words, knew when to throw/use which prop, it was a BLAST! I truly think Tim Curry will be forever embedded in my mind as the good Dr. Frank N Furter.
    Lanette- Thanks for the link to the brochure. With going through taking care of my MIL, DH and I have a folder of things to do to get our home ready, to get us ready for taking care of our selves as we get older. We also seem to have a constant stream of "health" articles flowing between us. I heard the nurse telling him his numbers (weight, and bp) yesterday and it was all I could do to blurt out "It's not fair! How does he get away with it while eating things like mayo and Ben &Jerry's!"

Well, three little girls have arrived as I am working on this post. One of them is having a two year old meltdown over the color of her cereal bowl! (This is the bowl that she has used for these first two years of her life) Toddler drama! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

ps Welcome new girls!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,351 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Machka - Sounds exciting! A new challenge is often invigorating.

Wendy - Beautiful photos. <3 We have horses in fields both front and back of our house. I love watching them and have learnt so much abut horse behaviour. In the front is a beautiful bay horse with an old companion white horse and they have recently been joined by a Shetland pony. They wear coats, he doesn't. :) The horse in the next field is always looking longingly over the fence. Behind us I have loved watching two mother's with their foals throughout the summer. Amazing mothers with such patience and care! I used to ride as a girl, but not much for years. I recently won a riding lesson at a raffle, so might have a go!

DH suddenly announced he has bought himself his Christmas present from me ! :laugh: I've transferred the money to his account. :p I'm so glad he found something. It's an electric keyboard that he's been thinking about for some time. It was reduced today on special offer. I bought myself a watch from him. :bigsmile: We are going to wrap them and take them down to Hove to open. :D:D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :)blood pressure, there is a recognized phenomenon of people having higher blood pressure at the doctor's office. I thought that might be true for me and it was confirmed one summer when we were at an RV rally and there were nurses doing blood pressure readings every day. Mine was lower by quite a few points there than it had been at the doctor's office and when I asked one of the nurses about it, she said that it was sometimes called "white coat syndrome"---feeling more stressed at the doctor's office than one would be under ordinary circumstances.
  • Machka9
    edited December 2017
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Anyway, this nurse took my BP three times (which is their procedure as they take an average of the three). All three readings had me at my normal bp, which is 20 points lower than what it read at the doctor's office the day before! Has that ever happened to any one else?

It's called "whitecoat syndrome" ... quite common.

When I had my little blood pressure "scare" a few weeks back, I had it checked in the Dr's office on two occasions, and the rest of the two weeks, I checked it myself with my own machine (twice a day) and logged it in an app. Then I was able to print off the results and give them to my Dr, and they've gone on my records.

There was definitely a difference between the two Dr's visits and my own records. But my Dr also said that was normal.
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka -I love all of your activity that you fit in each month! You are one of my inspirations to live a healthier life!

And thanks! :)

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    BLOOD PRESSURE mine was always high at Drs office so I bought a monitor and check my own, same manufacture as the one Dr uses. Since losing weight and exercising I have been taken off BP meds

WENDY love horse photos, must admit I'm a little wary of getting too close but love to look at them and watch them move, they are beautiful

Kate UK <3
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure is always higher at the doctor's office, mainly because you walk in, they plunk you in a chair and immediately take your bp. For true blood pressure you should sit quiet for a few minutes. Usually I'm rushing to get to my appointment on time so the heart is pumping. lol And I'm amazed at how many nurses don't ask you to sit with both feet resting on the floor instead of crossing your legs. If you cross your legs it will raise your bp. I usually measure 120/70 in the doctor's office which is high for me. Normal blood pressure for me is 101/60.

I did an experiment in checking my blood pressure in different situations. Sitting, lying down, after exercise, during exercise, resting, first thing waking up. It was fascinating to see how my heart and body reacted to different situations.

Busy glazing here. I'll take some pictures of before firing and after firing to show you all how the whole process turns out. It's a lot of chemistry at work. :)

Sewing with a granddaughter this afternoon. She is making skirts for her little sisters for Christmas. I've taught her how to use the serger for this project to make it faster since it is simple straight seams. She's super nervous about making a mistake since you can't really fix something that has been sliced off in the sewing process but she's doing a great job.