WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    machka I learned the term ‘bitter super taster’ this year because it appears I am one. I never could understand why people ate peppers or added them to dishes when the poisonous tasting bitter taste infused the whole dish and left it inedible. I thought people just liked that taste for some odd reason.

But I learned that most people only taste a mild bitter ‘tang’ where I feel like the taste overwhelms and quite often leaves me gagging. Turns out people have differing amounts of taste buds and particularly differing amounts of the ones with bitter receptors. Actually shocked me yet explained a whole lot.

But I also came to understand this year that I’m seriously hurting myself with my (former) habit of avoiding the veggies like the plague. So I have been on a journey this year to find more vegetables I like/ or ways to prepare vegetables to make them better (less bitter tasting). It is a struggle for me, than heavens for soups. And it is a shame I can’t abide mushrooms (both the texture and flavour are repellent to me).

Needless to say, I rarely find any vegetarian entrees when eating out that I would order.

But I have found a couple new veggies for my plate, Jicama and Fennel primarily. Zucchini and Spinach disappear tasteless into fruit smoothies. I eat metric tons of coleslaw (cabbage, red cabbage and carrot) and broccoli while not my favourite is always nutritional option, not a tasty one, but acceptable. Lots of cucumbers, tomatoes and onions. Very little lettuce - most I find to be unappetizingly bitter, the few I don't mind are so lacking in nutritional value I rarely bother. But I’m always on the lookout for new veggies, now.

But veggie entrees without an overwhelming bitter taste (to me) or mushrooms, - unless you are talking soup - there are not a lot here either. And Indian food? Not gonna find many Indian food restaurants here in Texas!

Since I’m a meat and potatoes gal, by preference mostly. So I look for restaurants that prepare meats we don’t at home, or prepare them in ways we don’t at home. Then I eat my veg at home.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,431 Member
    Options
    Cheri - congratulations, loser! :) Isn't it nice to see the line on the graph moving downwards? So sorry the crud is still hanging on, but glad to hear you are gaining ground. Thank you for sharing some of the Jewish traditions - I thought your childhood photo was super special!

Rye
    - does winter squash like delicata or butternut taste OK to you? I have a recipe around here someplace for soup using coconut milk, peeled and chopped winter squash, carrots, celery and onions, broth and drained chickpeas. Add some curry spices - tho those taste bitter to me and I'm not a super taster. Good luck!

I just checked Accuweather's forecast for the end of December & January 2018.... I know it's kind of far out to make predictions, but it's showing nothing in the teens and highs in the 40's. And rain, of course.

Yesterday I managed to get a walk in but didn't hit the weights, so that will be coming up shortly. For the new year I want to add a new one specifically for balance - would love to get back into T'ai Chi but haven't been able to find a class that fits into my busy do-nothing schedule, lol. I have a couple DVD's I'll dust off.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    OK Pip, I just shivered! I remember seeing a bug like that in Japan, about 3 inches long, but was poisonous! It was in my bathroom, and when husband was out to sea! I had a hard time showering because I was looking all over like a crazy person!

Becca
    Oregon
    Your bug is nicer looking than my bug was.....

that wasn't a bug, it was a fish

That multi-legged thing was a fish??? Hummmm I need to google this!!! ((((((Hugs)))))
    Becca
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    OH Becca, you didn't insult me at all. I appreciated the picture. I understand you meant it to me light in nature but that was the first time I had seen what I actually experience shown in a picture and I was wondering if that is what it is actually is. But from what M in Oz says, it looks like cluster and sinus headaches. I have heard cluster headaches assosicatd with migraine. My doctor has just never said migraine with me. The tension headache picture also was me to a T.

I assume when Allie gets a chance she will post pictures of Alfie. She has them on Face book. In my eyes, he needs a haircu but I do understand that breed is a bit scruffy.

Joyce, Indiana where I think I have enough wrist movement that I can fix my hair today!!!!!!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Cheri ~ I love my 3 qt. mini. I use it a lot but still use my larger Nesco when cooking large amounts.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Becca ~ Enjoy the visit with your Nuke son. That was very nice of you to write the neighbors a letter.
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    T.V. shows: Love, love, love Dr Blake, Miss Fisher and Father Brown! Also love Murdoch Mysteries! I also watch some sitcoms, cotton candy for the brain I call it. Just something light that gives a laugh, we all need that in our lives! Or at least I do! lol
    Cheri, Congrats on the downward trending graph! That is so awesome! Also congrats on the instant pot, good for hubby for doing that for both of you!
    Becca! Love your new neighbours! We have a few deer that were hanging around outside our property (we are pretty much fenced in), they are so beautiful to look at. Momma was there with her two babies, and there was a buck wandering around also. Haven't seen them for awhile, hopefully they are hunkered down somewhere dry. We had a ridiculous amount of rain in Nov, although Dec has been super nice, dry and warm. That is supposed to change, tho, the weather system that is moving in is showing a LOT of rain, but it is the season, so really shouldn't complain. So nice that your kids are with you at Christmas!
    Joyce, happy to hear that you have enough mobility in your arm to fix your hair! It really is the little things that make us happy, isn't it! lol
    I really do need to take some photos and post of our decorations, I'm quite pleased with the new house and the available space. Our old house was built kind of funny. It didn't help that previous owners had added on to both ends, so what was once a carport and perhaps garage, was now our family room, but it was long and narrow and had a free standing fireplace in one corner so there wasn't much play space when it came to where the furniture etc would go. We had our tree in the living room for many years, but we never used that room so didn't really get much of a chance to enjoy the tree. Now, our living area is on one floor and in pretty much one space (open concept), so I get to enjoy the tree even when I'm in the kitchen! Our old house has now been flattened to make way for townhomes. There are a few neighbours upset with us for selling to a developer, but we really needed to get out of there, the house was falling down (literally!) and we had had enough of all the traffic constantly going by. Selling to a developer was the only way for us to get out of there and have enough money to buy a new home. We bought from the same developer, so that worked out well for everybody, I think. Certainly worked for us!
    I have given up on the gym for the time being, I think I may have said that before. There are things that I need and want to do around the house so instead of stressing myself out over trying to fit everything in, I've just decided to let that part slide. I will be back at it Dec 27, or the 26, if it is open. I'll have to check that out. Last TRX class is on Monday, thought I would have to miss it and hubby had an app't with his cardiologist, but the dr had to reschedule for Tues, so I get to do both! Hubby wants me there so that we can both hear what the doc has to say. Our gp sent hubby for blood work and an EKG a month or so ago, with results copied to the cardiologist. Have to admit, I'm a little concerned, but trying to keep the worry in check. Hubby will be worrying enough for both of us. Tues isn't that far away, so will just have to grin and bear it. And hope for the best!
    Hope everyone has a great day!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • evie1958
    Options
    Becca, I hope your neighbours settle down a bit, that must be so hard to live next door to.... I know I would have a hard time dealing with it.
    Loving the photos of the kids, critters and Christmas (and Hannukah!)
    Evelyn
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA: You live in the news focal point & I imagine it is hard to tune out. I watch local news but not national news. Is there such a thing available to you? Next choice, read a paper & print newspaper and skip TV news altogether. (((HUGS)))

Allie: I love hearing that you had a blast. What a fabulous change! :bigsmile: Your pup is a cutie. :heart:

Karen, Machka & Heather: We have satellite TV. I record the series I like to see and watch local but not national news. I like veterinarian shows, RFD TV which is about rural doings & has lots of horse programs, Oregon Public Broadcasting that broadcasts the Great British Bake Off and other good stuff, some channels that offer reality shows & really old westerns. Lately I've been watching the Weather Channel, big-rig tow truckers in northern BC and Rodeo in Las Vegas. :devil:

DJ: thanks for checking in. I've been wondering if you're okay. Glad to hear that you are. :smiley:

Cheri: Congratulations on all of your great progress! That graph is wonderful! :star: My DH wanted an Instant Pot & bought one from Amazon at a good price. There is no question about ownership. It is his toy. :wink:

Becca: Great photos of the elk in your neighborhood. Are they dangerous when you're coming and going? :huh:

DH made a very flavorful stew yesterday & I ate a reasonable portion. I have been spending much time in the bathroom today. It was a bit too rich for me. :ohwell:

Has anyone else been watching the Outlander TV series on Starz? I have read every book in the series more than once and am not a bit disappointed with the production. That is so rare for me. I can be very picky when a book I've loved isn't treated well by the TV & movie people. :star::star::star::star:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

• evie1958
    Options
    Allie, Alfie is a cutie!
    Katla, I too have issues when a book that I enjoyed is butchered or "enhanced" on the screen. For instance, I loved the Hobbit books and really enjoyed the movies, as they really didn't stray far from the books. I have read and re-read the Shannara books, but was very disappointed in the show, watched thru to the end of the first season, hoping it might improve, but alas, it did not. Won't be watching any further seasons, if there are any.
    Quiet day at work today, I don't really mind as it has given me a chance to catch up on here! And to read Lisa's blog! Truly enjoying it, Lisa. You are very down to earth and I'm liking the journeys that your mind is taking me!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    Oh my goodness ladies look what I was just gifted by the hubs!

bibnzg7t8gyu.jpg

He mentioned he wanted to switch over to steel cut oats instead of instant oatmeal the other day. I mentioned that it would cut down time in the mornings for him to make it if we had an Instant Pot to make them in. He must have remembered all that I have been sharing about this cooking marvel from y'all. Went to Wal Mart and got one!

Sitting here looking at the directions and recipe book!

Cheri
    who is woefully tired just from running errands and is obviously not ready to return to the gym quite yet

Kirby got one, works like a charm