WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,397 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Lenora Take good care of yourself now!

Weight training question: I’m working with weights twice a week for about 6 weeks now - and one thing is very obvious. My left side is considerably weaker than the right. I’m wondering if I should hold my right side reps and weights back until the left side catches up?

Fa La La La La, La La La La

Rye

Rye - When I first started strength training, I was the same way.... one side stronger than the other. As I recall, I did hold back a bit until the other side "caught up" - it took me maybe a month.

Good for you getting your training going!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • SophieRosieMom
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Machka - thank you for checking into the "reactions".

I always thought the "Woo" was like "Woo-hoo" = well done!

This is from a post by an admin last June:

Hey folks!!

Thank you to everyone who participated in our poll for a new reaction. We had a very clear winner.

The winning vote goes to... Woo!

Since Woo is a different type of reaction than anything we've enabled in the past, we're going to start this off in beta mode.

Woo can mean two things. You can click it both to mean woo as in woo-hoo or to express that you think an idea or approach is too good to be true.

We hope you enjoy the new reaction!!

:heart: The MFP Community Team

Lanette
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,080 Member
    Options
    (((Kim))) good to hear from you. I understand why it is important to minimize your time with your brother. I have a brother like that too. I do not feel safe around him. That says it all.

I am still reading Why We Sleep. He makes many interesting point on how vital sleep is to our health. I seem to be at a plateau of six solid hours. Since I have improved my sleep practices. I do notice less leg cramping at night and less times waking up. Weight is holding steady. I do notice I am more patient.

:heart: Margaret
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,070 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »

I always thought the "Woo" was like "Woo-hoo" = well done!

This is from a post by an admin last June:

Hey folks!!

Thank you to everyone who participated in our poll for a new reaction. We had a very clear winner.

The winning vote goes to... Woo!

Since Woo is a different type of reaction than anything we've enabled in the past, we're going to start this off in beta mode.

Woo can mean two things. You can click it both to mean woo as in woo-hoo or to express that you think an idea or approach is too good to be true.

We hope you enjoy the new reaction!!

:heart: The MFP Community Team

Lanette

Yes ... but outside these threads, Woo was almost always used negatively. It always took me aback when someone in here "Woo-d" my post. However, it was confusing having it for two very different meanings, so they changed it today ... confirmed that it is a negative thing.

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Yes ... but outside these threads, Woo was almost always used negatively. It always took me aback when someone in here "Woo-d" my post. However, it was confusing having it for two very different meanings, so they changed it today ... confirmed that it is a negative thing.

M in Oz

Ah, unless they have someone like you who keeps on top of it, there will like be lots of folks thinking Woo is a good thing. I am probably one of the ones who would "woo" your (and other's) posts meaning it in a very positive way! <3

Lanette
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,317 Member
    Options
    Thanks Machka for clarifying that. I never used it because I wasn't sure which way to take it.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Machka, thanks for the info on the reactions. There is a product out there called "Stashbandz" if you look for it on Amazon (sorry, REALLY leery of adding links these days after getting my hand slapped) that is a soft band that goes around your waist to carry a phone and other things while running, biking etc.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Machka FYI Amazon Australia which just started business this month has MP3 players under 20 dollars.

But I think the fanny pack you posted might work. My niece uses something similar except it is an armband.
  • Machka9
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

M in Oz

Ah, unless they have someone like you who keeps on top of it, there will like be lots of folks thinking Woo is a good thing. I am probably one of the ones who would "woo" your (and other's) posts meaning it in a very positive way! <3

Lanette
    Thanks Machka for clarifying that. I never used it because I wasn't sure which way to take it.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
    Machka, thanks for the info on the reactions.

It was confusing!

Here in the Women's 50+ thread, I was pretty sure people were using it for good ... but elsewhere it was mostly to indicate disagreement. Mostly used to indicate false ideas, like if someone announced that the only way to lose weight was to stop eating by 4 pm. People would come in and flag that as Woo.

And now, evidently if someone is flagged Woo 5 times, the post will be hidden for moderation. It looked like people were experimenting with that in one of the threads I linked to. :)

There is a product out there called "Stashbandz" if you look for it on Amazon (sorry, REALLY leery of adding links these days after getting my hand slapped) that is a soft band that goes around your waist to carry a phone and other things while running, biking etc.

Interesting ... it's quite wide. I wonder how it would be in the heat.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Christmassy Evening

- carols at Salvation Army
    - dinner at the Beach ... it's a restaurant called "The Beach Restaurant" at our beach
    - White Christmas movie ... just bought it yesterday! :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Machka FYI Amazon Australia which just started business this month has MP3 players under 20 dollars.

But I think the fanny pack you posted might work. My niece uses something similar except it is an armband.

I did hear something about Amazon Australia starting up ... and that businesses here aren't too happy about it.

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,374 Member
    Options
    Did Shapes Ultimate Bikini Body DVD. I swear, I think I have this DVD but for the life of me I can't find it. I hate to say it, but I guess Vince is right, I probably should make up a spreadsheet of the DVD's that I have so I don't order one that I have. This is about the second or third time I've ordered something I already had. the plan for tomorrow is to do a Prevention with Chris Freitag DVD.

Speaking of DVD's that I have, while looking for the Shape DVD, I realized that I have two copies of Strong Body Ageless Body DVD. If anyone would like it, I downloaded it so I'd be willing to just give it to someone. It didn't cost me anything, so I sure wouldn't charge anyone anything. Just PM me if you'd like it

We have a Newcomer board meeting today. Steve is planning to leave early, then we have the meeting, I'd like to go to Lowes Foods to get potatoes and oranges that they have on sale, go to the bread outlet to get bread to have, Vince wants to go to WalMart and I think he said he wanted to go one other place.

Lenora - thanks so much for checking in. You take as much time as you need to get back to "normal". I was talking to this lady at AC Moore who had a service dog and asked her where she got the dog. she told me that she'd taken a class online and got her dog certified as a service dog. Perhaps you can look into that so that you can take Cracker into the store with you. In talking to Louis on the phone, I could tell that he really loves you. Wish I could say to you as well as Joyce could since that's what's in my heart (among other things). There have been times when Jessica has cut her cat's nails too short and they would bleed. I remember one time she put a piece of white bread on it. Another time she used flour (I think it was, I'll have to confirm with her) on it. I'll let you know exactly what it is that she used. There is no way in h*** the guys would have gone on their trip with you in the hospital. No way! Glad checking MFP is a hard-to-break habit.

Rye - are you saying that (the numbers are just an example) that if you can use 5 pounds, you are wondering if you should use no weight in the right hand and maybe 3 pounds in the left and when you work up to 5 pounds in the left, then resume using 5 pounds on the right? Assuming that's what you meant, I would continue to use the 5 pounds on the right. If you use no weight, it'll be that much harder for you to get back to the 5 pounds and you will lose muscle. I would use 5 pounds in the right hand and 3 in the left. Eventually, you'll build up to 5 in the left and 5 in the right. Now, remember, these numbers are just examples.

Barbara - that sure is a mixed bag of results.

Need to take the fish for Christmas Eve out of the freezer

Lisa - thanks for your thoughts for me about Bryan. I'm starting to get used to it.....sort of. I don't think I'll ever get used to it totally. But "that's life". So sorry about your knees

You mean to tell me that "woo" WASN'T like "woo hoo". Not that I used those "reactions" very much at all.

Michele in NC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    477322tk4rb6rawj.gif
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    90i1c9noy4wf.png
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Machka Thanks for posting that info about "Woo" meaning. I, too, was taken aback when I received a "Woo" on this thread. Then I figured out the "wooers" meant no harm. "Woo" is widely used in the MFP forums, as you already mentioned, to refer to bu11s#it, i.e., to practices or ideas not backed by evidence-based research. It is definitely not complimentary...except on this thread...we are SUCH nice women, LOL! That's why I stick with this thread, I can post my opinion and not be ripped apart.

If you look at the emoticon next to the Woo, you will see that it is a skeptical or maybe a surprised face, not a positive one. I think it would be better if they used this face for the "woo" reaction: m0786.gif

<3<3<3

Karen in VIrginia
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Janetr You can "woo" me any time you want to. I know what you mean. LOL! xoxo

Karen in Virginia