WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    clowe1028 wrote: »
    @auntiebk, Barbara, How do you line dance with a Wii? I would love to try it.

Cathy, Arlington, TX

I would like to hear about this too. Have been good on food front today, a mini fast. DH was out with friends so I put tv on in bedroom (away from the kitchen) so while watching snooker I did my Christmas cards so quite pleased with myself.

Kate UK <3
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi friends. It is a gorgeous sunny day in the 50s here! I slept in and just plan on having a quiet day here at home. A friend from a support group brought me a ‘care package’ from the wives…bath salts, a journal, stationary, a lounging suit, a fuzzy blanket, 2 bottles of alcohol, and hot cocoa mix. Oh yes, I forgot a giant-sized bag of Goldfish crackers. It’s a tradition in the group and it’s very nice. After lunch I plan to curl up with the blanket and nap!

Wendy: I bet that beer was good after all that work! Do you keep bees?

Heather: yes, he does know how lucky he is. The bottom line was that he called a therapist before even calling a lawyer and has been serious about continuing this entire year, plus he has joined two support groups. So I guess I feel lucky that he is taking responsibility and trying to move forward.

Allie: I hope you get the pup! Praying for BIL

Kellie: welcome and yes! Join the gym! I’m a nurse, so RICE to me means Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation for maybe a painful ankle or something.

Katiebug: good job getting to the gym each day.

Ramona: welcome to the group!

Rori: I admire your idea for the holidays! I do think that sounds wonderful to pay off someone’s layaway. I’m so sorry about your friend. It’s nice that you got her plants…something tangible to remember her by. I’d love to meet for coffee…I plan to come in March with a friend and my younger daughter. Do you still see Jane? And I can’t remember that other lady who was at lunch that time too. How is she?

Matchka: do you need to construct an ark? LOL Gorgeous pictures!

DJ: thanks for the big ol’ hug!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,565 Member
    Options
    Mmm
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Felicia – give yourself the time and space to go through the emotions as you need to but also remember that having control of what you can, exercise and food can help you feel better too…

Allie – So I know you would love to have a dog with you full time, and I hate to be a party pooper; but with work in such flux is this the right time to take on the financial concerns of a pet? You know from experience how pricy they can be… Just a thought not a judgement! As I replaced a dog when I was completely unemployed… but you do have access to the dogs that live at Toms….

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Kate, I am so jealous you are going to Spain for Christmas. Travelling around Spain is on my Bucket List. I will get there one day. Please post lots of pictures so I can at least travel in my mind.

Meg, yes a cold beer is just about a Have To after bucking bales of hay in the hot summer. We have been keeping bees for six years now, starting with 25 hives and making and buying more. I think we have around 400 this year. My husband has worked non-stop, nights and weekends building up our "retirement" business. We are retiring from our travel agency after 25 years, selling our shares back to the main company and going into bee keeping full time this year. Dec 31 is our last day of owning the travel agency but we will still work there for awhile as we hand the reins over to new managers. It is very scary for us as we still have a big mortgage on our small property and the bee income is certainly not guaranteed as they are lifestock that are affected by the weather and disease and vulnerable to wasp attack and pesticides etc. So, it's a big leap of faith for us. I may have to take a job washing dishes somewhere, LOL. Money is really tight right now and we may have to downsize our lifestyle. I am just taking each day at a time and being grateful for the many blessings in my life. <3 Wendy
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD. wrote "Janetr huzzah for single mom heroines."

I am so enjoying everyone's photos and stories. You guys keep my going.

I had been so busy working on ornaments that I had pretty much let my exercise fall by the wayside. The last few days I'm back at it and I wonder why I let it go when I know how much BETTER I feel and how much more energy I have all day long when I just do it. Aghh

Thanks, that made me laugh out loud.

Much Love,
    Janetr OKC
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Well my vacuum HAS been turned on yesterday, and I used it on the living room! Can you tell I hate cleaning?? Put the tree up, but will let the sons decorate it. I wrapped presents. We're talking small gifts now! Like two glitter nail polishes, and cuticle cream for daughter in-law, some tiger balm for middle son, a hotwheels car for eldest, and some chocolates for youngest! Nothing over $5 for each.

I was finally able to pay off my husbands nephew this month. Its crazy how it all started. In 2012 when we were told we had to get husband up to Oregon from California, we had his nephew drive the RV up, while I kept husband comfortable. Then in 2014, my Mother in-law was talking to him, and mentioned we had to file for bankruptcy. So he said, "they can pay me back now". Now he lives near Los Angeles, CA, quite well off. So I knew when he said it, it was in jest. But my Mother in-law relayed the info, saying we needed to start paying him back. I contacted him, and started a promissory note with pay amounts listed each month. Since we live month to month, its been a challenge let me tell ya! But I send a card, with a check every month. Back in 2012, he helped by paying for gas to get us up there, a hotel room that night, and also first and lasts rent for our apartment. It was 3K so you'd think he would've given us a heads up then, if he wanted us to pay that back. So no communication saying he got the promissory note way back when, but he cashes the checks. I told him ( in the Christmas card), to send me back the promissory note marked Paid in Full, back. I wish to not have my Mother in-law think I don't pay my debts! Family can be frustrating... Lol

Well time to vacuum!
    Love ya ladies!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Wendy, Lace is beautiful! I love border collies - they are so smart. One of my prior dogs was a rescued blue merle border collie named Casper.

Angel is a mini Australian Shepherd. I adopted her from the breeder when she was 4. She had been kicked by a horse and suffered a broken hip and wasn’t going to be bred again. She too is a Velcro dog. I haven’t been able to teach her to shake - she will put her head in my hand for petting.

Cathy, Arlington, TX
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,716 Member
    Options
    Kim ~your right, but I feel lonely here without a little critter to curl up with, at least I would have someone to talk too.. we shall see what the future has planned.
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Allie - I know!!! that's why I got Levi -- Will you/could you get custody of one of the dogs? or even a week at a time visit? then Tom could pay the vet bills and you would have the love??
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,910 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Machka, how does your DH blow dry a whole cherry orchard?

The larger, wealthier orchards use helicopters ... flying back and forth quite low over the orchard. But they couldn't fly on either Saturday or Sunday because of the weather. They will likely be flying today because the rain has stopped, at least temporarily.

Some orchards have windmills ... somewhat smaller versions of what are used in wind farms. Those are often used to ward off frost, but can be used to dry things too.

My husband's orchard can't afford helicopters and windmills right now, so he modifies the sprayer so that it blows air, and he drives up and down the rows like he does when he is spraying ... only faster. He was able to do that on Saturday, but by Sunday we had so much rain he wasn't able to get into the orchard ... he would have bogged immediately. So we just had to trust that the rain spray would hold.

And fortunately this happened when it did. Only two varieties are ripe enough to be affected by the rain.

Today is drier and a bit windy so that's good.

We ended up with 94mm (3.7 inches) of rain over the weekend. That's double what we'd normally get in the month of December.

I'll also add ... cherries are the main Christmas fruit here. They are hugely popular, and most/all of the southern States have orchards. When I first came to Australia, and once I could work legally, my first job was in a cherry packing shed in Victoria, near where we lived. And my husband has been in orcharding for 12 years now ... apples and cherries mainly ... in both Victoria and Tasmania. We (Australia) also exports a massive quantity of cherries to Asia ... Hong Kong, Japan, etc.

M in Oz
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Rye, I love your Christmas Kitty pics. I am feeling inspired to take some of my pets in Christmas hats now. LOL

Allie, I just couldn't live in a place where I couldn't have my animal friends to keep me company. They give sooo much love and expect so little in return. I would rather eat nothing and go nowhere and spend my money on a pet. My pets kept me alive when I had a broken heart. They know how to heal hearts. Obviously, you are old enough to weigh the drawbacks and benefits even in an uncertain financial climate. Just by owning your own place you will be in a much better position than someone who is renting. But you know all that, Blessings, <3 Wendy
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Allie - I know!!! that's why I got Levi -- Will you/could you get custody of one of the dogs? or even a week at a time visit? then Tom could pay the vet bills and you would have the love??

Myself as much as you love the dogs I would not want joint custody or visitation because that just ties you to Tom in the long run and makes you continue to see him on a regular basis. If I couldn’t get the dog/dogs I’d say a tearful goodbye. Just mebut you are divorcing him. Why give him any opening to control you or affect your life?

• GodMomKim
    Options
    heather - I have found a few minutes and tried to look up your DIL ted talk, but couldn't find her name to search.... I can't remember exactly when you posted and couldn't find it...
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

Whew! Finally caught up with all the reading! lol Took awhile. I've had a couple of busy days so haven't had much of a chance to be reading, so when I finally go to it, there were several pages to get through.
    Rori, so sorry to hear of your friends passing. I lost a very dear friend 14 years ago, she was 46. I still miss her a lot, there are just some things that I see and do and only she would understand. It is nice that her daughter gave you her plants, a little memory. I look at a few things that my friend gave me and it always brings a smile to my face when I remember getting them, nothing big, just little mementos, but they mean a lot to me.
    Sue, so sorry to hear about your dog, it's so hard losing our furbabies.
    Terry, Love the purple cast! Hope you heal fast!
    Barbie and others, thank you for sharing your Christmas memories and what makes the season special for you. And what you do to make the season special! I do like the thought about is what I'm doing make things better for me. I have been trying something similar, asking myself if I really WANT to do that, or am I doing it because it's expected of me. I've managed to change my mindset about a few things because of that. Example: I may not want to go to the gym, but I do want to look after my health so going to the gym and working out makes me healthier so..... Off I go to exercise! lol
    Felicia, my heart breaks for you. Don't let anyone tell you how you should be feeling, we do all grieve in our own ways and in our own time, you need to do it at your own pace and in your own way.
    Rye, thanks so much for the photo of the kitties! They certainly do look like their dignity was injured! lol
    Trying to get things back on track, November did not go as well as I hoped, but keeping my fingers crossed for December!
    Hope everyone has a great day!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3<3