WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Sue: I am so sorry that you've hurt your foot. Have you tried ice and elevation? :huh:

Terry in VA: Your cast is very seasonal and has a happy, festive feeling. How did your DD get the color of the lights to be so vivid? :star:

Joyce: I loved the Carol Burnett Show back in the day. Her style of comedy was hilarious and not hurtful or mean spirited. Back then there was quite a bit of mean spirited comedy that demeaned people or stereotyped them. She was different in a very good way. :heart:

DJ: I love the looks of your tree, and that of others people have posted. My trees are living Alberta Spruce trees, and I'm going to bring them into the garage today because we're expecting a hard freeze tonight. I'm going to ease them indoors and after Christmas they'll spend a bit of time in the garage before going back out in the yard. :smiley:

Barb aka Bree: You've come to a good place for encouragement and support. Welcome! :flowerforyou:

M in OZ: I'm sorry for your tendency to form blood clots and thrilled that your DH saw the need to get you to the doctor. It sounds like he was just in time. :heart:

LisainNCNow: See if your local library participates in Library to Go. Ours does. We have access to hundreds of ebooks for free. This is managed through Amazon. I buy an occasional printed book, but not as often as I did in the past. My bookcases are jammed. :bigsmile:

Alison: Do you clench your teeth in the night? I hope it isn't an ear infection. Good luck. :flowerforyou:

patceoh: Losing weight slowly is the healthiest way to go. The weight has a better chance to stay off because you practice better eating habits as you go down in pounds and ounces. :star:

Barbie: My mom lived in an assisted living facility for a while before she passed away and the performers who came there to share music or dance with the residents were a delight to her. I think your dance group is fabulous to perform for the people who are in assisted living. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: We bought our son his first stuffed rabbit puppet at the Eugene Saturday Market back in the 70's. He was then two or three. After we moved to the Portland area we found Yastrid at Portland Saturday Market & bought puppets for both our son and daughter. We still have the puppets we bought for them back then, tucked safely away in the garage attic. Getting one for each of our grandchildren feels like a worthy tradition. :heart: Regarding horseback riding, the problem with the extra rider in the arena was lack of free space to work Arrow. He's a big boy and that arena is easily large enough to work two horses at a trot & canter at the same time, but not three. He could barely find the space for a good trot. :grumble: On the other hand, both women were very nice. :ohwell:

We are expecting a killing frost tonight so I'm going to put the living Christmas trees in the garage and start easing them into the house. Alberta Spruce trees are so hardy that they are likely to survive about anything, but I am but I am motivated to treat them as gently as I can. Less than a few miles away & up the hills behind us they get frost earlier than we do. Today I have three fuchsia plants that I'll be tucking away next to the house under my rhododendrons for the winter. One is a survivor that wintered over last year under those bushes. Hopefully at least one will make it through this winter. My other goal for today or tomorrow is to get our presents wrapped and shipped to our grandchildren.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I loved the line dancing I did on the cruise on "sea days". The showgirls taught us from scratch, so I could keep up, even though it was my first time. :D I downloaded a couple of the best songs and have them on a "Dance" play list. Barbie - do you know "Tell Me Ma" ? I hadn't thought of Utube. Thank you. :D<3

Machka - The weather must be such a stressor. I've always thought that any income that depended upon the weather, like outdoor concessions, must be really frustrating. It is in our changeable climate anyway. :o:#

Pat - I click on the icon that looks like a picture of mountains and follow through from there.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Cathy and Kate: YouTube no longer supports my wii, if you have a newer Wii U you can watch your playlists, but I cannot. fooey. Darn that Google for "upgrading" the YouTube player to be so resource-intensive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QLRMX-gBPA

I love my Wii! It got me moving back in 2012 when nothing else interested me. I still use it to weigh and occasionally play games with but I am healthy enough to go to the gym now and so I do....I am not sure there would be much advantage to the Wii U so I may just wait. Nothing last forever,after all. :) Pay station looked interesting too....hm....
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    graphics-christmas-trees-980702.gif
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Becca could you tell me what an advent angel is? I remember opening advent calendars when I was a child, but never heard of advent angel.

Terry, that has to be the best cast deco I can imagine! Kudos to your artist!

Well Rye, it was a spur of the moment thing. I have had my advent tree for a long time, but noticed last year it was a bit crowded with family + MFP friends. So I was thinking, where could I put you all, in a Christmasy manner, and saw the angels dress. My mind works in crazy ways!
    Becca
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :)Heather, I have danced a great beginner line dance to "Tell Me Ma" . Maybe it's the same one you learned.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Today is World Wildlife Conservation Day!

"This global occasion provides everyone with the opportunity to learn more about wildlife conservation and to be part of the solution to wildlife crime. Go online and join the thousands of other individuals who have taken the wildlife pledge. Promise to learn more about wildlife conservation, to spread the word about the importance of protecting our planet's most endangered species and the impact of poaching on our environment. Learn how to become a responsible consumer in order to stop illicit wildlife trade."

Rye - My mom and Christmas are definitely inextricably linked in my mind and heart. Her birthday is December 17. She loved the holiday and worked so hard to make it magical for us. Christmas has never been the same since her passing.

Felicia - I am so very sorry that administrative details are making a hard time even harder.

Machka - Wishing you some wind soon to dry out your orchard!

My brother and sister-in-law are coming in a couple of weeks to pick up a power tool we're getting rid of. We're not planning a Christmas trip this year, so I need to send as many of my presents home with them as I can to avoid shipping costs. That means I've got a lot of shopping to finish up before they arrive.

Aaaack. Time goes by so fast lately, and it seems like someone hit fast-forward during the holidays! Last night I went to a one-hour guided meditation at a local yoga studio and it was wonderful. I'm not very good at doing nothing so I needed the guidance, but I felt so much lighter when I left. Must try to allow myself time to do more of that.

Wishing you all health and happiness during this hectic time. Here's hoping we can all find some magic in the season.

-Yvonne in TX
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi friends. There is not much going on here today; it has turned grey, cold, and windy. Last night I cut my finger on broken glass in the garbage disposal????? I have no idea how it got there, but there were pieces of a shot glass filling up the disposal. It won’t turn on or even make a noise. It wouldn’t run after I stuffed a whole bunch of old food in it, so I was trying to retrieve it. UGH. So I have a friend coming over who does maintenance in an apartment complex who is going to try to fix it

Wendy: that actually sounds wonderful! I hear you about tight finances, but if it works…how fabulous!

Heather: such cutie pies!

M: fresh cherries sound heavenly!

Becca: have you heard from MollyWhippet lately?

Sue: I hope your foot gets better soon!

Terry: now that’s my kind of decorating!
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    No I haven't Terry! Looking on my list there are a couple of people I need to send the hounds out to find!!
    Becca
    e48t8mww50ly.jpg
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Got some banking I had been putting off done this morning. I have an appointment with Social Security on Dec 21 so trying to prepare for that. However I missed open swim at the YM so will do a DVD this afternoon.

Terry - Love the decorated cast, very seasonal.

SueBdew - I agree with others, get the foot looked at.

Barbie - So nice to give joy for the holidays and to have fun doing it.

Heather - The grands in the pjs are cuties.

Allie - Hope the antibiotics do the trick.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Machka - The weather must be such a stressor. I've always thought that any income that depended upon the weather, like outdoor concessions, must be really frustrating. It is in our changeable climate anyway. :o:#

It is a gamble. You do everything you think will be right for the situations ... and then hope for the best.

Right now, we're in a waiting game. The forecasters are still in the "IT'S COMING" mode but they don't know what exactly will happen. We're hoping the low pressure system will develop over the northern part of the State, and leave us alone.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile ...

As you probably know, I'm a long distance cyclist. That's where my exercise/fitness/sports passion lies.

However, it is really difficult to get the rides in that I need where we live now. We live in a very hilly area ... first thing out the door we've got significant climbs, and that reduces the motivation to ride after work. Or we have to drive somewhere, which also reduces the motivation. I like being able to get on my bicycle and just go and go and go and go ... sure some hills are fine, but when I'm exhausted 500 metres out the door, it kind of takes the fun out of the ride. I also can't commute to work by bicycle, like I'd like to, because there's nowhere to store my bicycle ... and it's nearly 20 km each way with difficult climbs in both directions, basically up and over a range to get to work and back up and over the range to get home.

So we often walk after work, and I walk at lunch. I also climb stairs. Then we try to get our cycling in on the weekends.

But it isn't enough. When we do our long rides, I feel like I'm on the edge of being in shape for them. I can cycle 100 miles in a day ... but I can't do it entirely comfortably like I should be able to. Like I have done many other times.

Therefore, I've been considering adding running into the mix. The thing with running is that I could easily bring the equipment needed for that to work. I've got an hour at lunch and it wouldn't take much time at all to change, go for a half-hour run and change again ready to work the afternoon. Also, we've got an oval right near where I live where I could run laps ... plus the beach further down.

This past weekend, I ran on the treadmill again, and did 7 km in 56 minutes ... 45 minutes of running straight through in the middle of those 56 minutes. And I felt really comfortable doing it.

So now I'm thinking that maybe an event might encourage my motivation to do this. If I were to consider doing a run, this is the next one on the schedule here ... the Cadbury Marathon. A marathon would be too much for me right now. So would a half marathon. But the 10K with a 2-hour time-limit would be well within reach.
    https://cadburymarathon.com.au/event-information/

I was talking to one of my coworkers today ... he's run the full marathon of this event and says it is pretty good. He also offered some suggestions about running form and things like that.

Who knows ... maybe mid-January I might be out there doing a running event!! I haven't done one of those since I raced track in high school!

Machka in Oz
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Just lost everything. :s

Katla, DD used bright fabric paints to paint my cast.

Allie, sending you good thoughts that the job is what you are looking for.

Wendy, I know you will do fine at the hiking get together. What a great opportunity for you to meet new people with similar interests.

Heather, cute kids.

For all of you struggling with eating or health issues I’m sending ((hugs)).

Happy dancing for thoses making strives forward.

Another day of not great eating. Up 2lbs. I start out so good but lose momentum by late afternoon. I think I might try having a little something to eat about 3:00 and see if that helps tomorrow.

Terry struggling in VT