WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yesterday morning wii told me I gained 1.8 lbs overnight! Yes, this was after breakfast instead of before, but YIKES! Had to play on it for almost an hour to recapture the day before's emotional boost. ;}

Last night went to the Currey-Del Norte Orchestra's winter concert and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Always "wanted" to go to the symphony, ballet, opera, theatre etc. in Boise but never did during the entire 20 years. Determined to do things NOW despite how VERY DARK it is driving at night out here in the country. Reminds me of living with a group in cabins on the Russian River in the early 70s and no we weren't a commune... quite. Next: Modern Nutcracker put on by the Wild Rivers Coast Dance Foundation at the Middle School, fortunately, a matinee ;)

next micro action: make playlist of line dances taught last session so I can catch up with the other gals.

Machka 2 weeks in hospital and on Warfarin for a year??? Yikes! Hoping mine are fewer and resolve sooner. Had been on my feet more than usual packing up for the move from Boise to the Oregon Coast. We usually drove it in two easy 6 hour days, but problems with the vehicle trailer turned it into a 5hr and 9hr ordeal. Discomfort started during the first week of unpacking. Saw Chiropractor the following Wednesday week but she focused on shoulders and left the leg alone Thank GOODNESS. Following Monday, Joe took me to urgent care where they did an ultrasound, found nothing and sent me home with pain pills. By Friday I could put no weight on my leg and if Joe or the Dogs brushed against it I shrieked. Went back to Urgent Care who sent me to the ER, a 30 min drive. There the ultrasound showed "lots o'clots" so I spent 3 days in hospital and now I'm on Xarelto.

Sue so now you can see why we all want you to get checked. There is a blood test, but it can give false positives. Ultrasound can give false negatives. The "gold standard" is some kind of dye injection, but if the clots show in ultrasound then you can begin treatment. Take care!

Heather Comfortor/snugglies, including "Spare Rabbit"... brilliant!
    patceoh Con VERY gratulations on 2 sizes more petite! Better the tortoise than the hare, we're in this for the long run. ;)
    Barbie, festive line dancing clothing pics please ;)
    Kate, line dancing on the boardwalk or beach? Sounds like a lot of fun, if challenging (dancing on sand???) Copperknob is a great resource; you can search by song name, choreographer, even skill level. I learn best when I like the music ;)
    Heather, I don't know Tell Me Ma, I'll look it up, but BarbieCat might know it. Sorry to confuse but there are two of us line dancing "Barbara"s: BarbieCat who dances almost every day, teaches and brings her group to perform for assisted living facilities... and me. I dance once or twice a week, fall back on "when in doubt: triplestep" frequently, and believe that as long as I'm upright, moving and smiling, it's all good ;)
    Allison, could the pain between your jaw and ear be a swollen gland? Any recent colds or infections? Ah, I see your Dr rx'd an antibiotic. Hope that does the trick. If you decide to take the new job, when would it start?
    Katla beautiful puppets, good luck to the fuchsias, love the hepburn quote.
    doglady2 playstation or xbox, not willing to invest in either at this time ;}
    Wendy Brava to you for returning good-for-frosty. Hoping the gatekeeper mellows out into a good tramping buddy.
    Yvonne time zipping fast forward, you've got that right!
    Meg How DO those things get into the disposal? After your friend empties it, there is a reset button somewhere that might re-start it. We don't have a disposal in our new home, guess they weren't de rigeur when building with septic systems in the '80s.
    Becca LOVE the pic and the shirt!
    Machka wow, walking, stair climbing, cycling 100 mi in a day, now running? Audax/Randonneuring? Had to Google it. WOW!
    Terry love Tony and your plaids!
    Michele would love to see a picture of your glazed dragonfly, pretty please?
    pip love the black lab and the skiing golden ornament ;)
    Katla " don't think shipping will be more expensive than the gifts, themselves, but it might be close." This is something I'm struggling with. Even a small flat rate box is $7.15, and doesn't hold many goodies. This will be the last year I send fudge, cookies and candy to my former co-workers as the company is merging and many are losing their jobs. :(

Hugs to all,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.

Yesterday
    :( no walking/dancing/BP/80%/>1500 cals but saved by the wii
    :) log, CLO, prob + yog, wii 51 mins=153 cals, went to concert
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    Barbara, :) We do a dance called "Stealing the Best". The count all the way through is 1,2, 3&4, 5, 6, 7&8. I tell the class that the dance is "something, something, triple" Just like you said, when in doubt do a triple step.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Becca: Your mind works in creative ways. When I was a child we had a family in our neighborhood that were German immigrants. They had a wonderful advent calendar sent to theme from Germany every year. I loved seeing it at their house but it wasn't a part of our tradition. :smiley:

Yvonne: Nobody will be visiting us who can take Christmas packages with them, so I'm going to ship all our gifts today. I don't think shipping will be more expensive than the gifts, themselves, but it might be close. There is one package for DS and DDIL and four for DD and her family. There is a shipping business here in town and I'll take all the packages there and have them put in boxes & shipped. :ohwell: the good news is that nothing is breakable. :bigsmile:

Meg: Regarding the garbage disposal misery, I would suggest taking the rubber gasket out and using needle nosed pliers to go after the glass. DH suggested simply letting the disposal grind the glass and rinse it down the lines. (He would put some sort of screen over the drain opening to keep glas shards from being launched out.) Let us know how things go. :flowerforyou:

Allie: Good luck! :star:

Pip: I love the waterskiing golden retriever. Where did you find it? :heart:

Tere: Good luck with the job hunt and the supervisor from h@ll. :flowerforyou:

Yesterday I tripped coming in from taking out the garbage and stubbed my toe plus have a scab on my left knee. The knee looks bad but it doesn't hurt, but that toe is sore! I'm not going to yoga today. I hope to feel better for tomorrow. My only task for today is shipping Christmas Gifts.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

don't remember, it's an old one
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,
    Wow its now in the u 30's here! Bright blue sky though! My third night taking oxybutynin, a medicine for overactive bladders. I have decreased my loo trips to about 2, and both were before 11 pm. But the rest of the night its peaceful slumber. I do have a dry mouth, which the doctor said is a side effect. Also with the weather changing, I have achy ears, and stuffy nose. Going to buy some cold medicine today after our food bank visit.

Husband has moved our not yet decorated tree to the kitchen table. But it actually looks good there, and is in front of a window, instead of next to the TV. But to me the area next to the TV looks bare now....

Every Christmas I always do a Christmas letter and put in the cards we send out. Its around forty cards. Yesterday I started the letter three times, but it sounded wonky! Maybe I can encourage husband to give it a go. I don't want my letter to sound like a social shopping list. Plus so much of my life is up in the air these days!

Watched, "Little Miss Sunshine" yesterday, and laughed my @$$ off, well no its still there.... I love a bit of offbeat humor. Being raised on Blackadder, The Three Stooges, etc... As a child I remember Saturday morning cartoons was Fractured Fairytales, and after school was Dark Shadows!

On Facebook the other day, my eldest sister had posted a picture of some holiday baking she had done. So it was fudge, cookies, lemon squares, and hello dollies, (which are chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, nuts, coconut flakes, a vanilla wafer crust then smothered with a can of sweetened condensed milk). All of which, in my eyes, costs money. I am constantly reining back my expectations of what Christmas means to me verses what my childhood Christmas was. Its a conflicting thing.

Well another cup of coffee is calling me!! (((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) to those that wish one! Healing thoughts to those that are in pain...
    Becca
    Oregonc0vhxj683679.jpg

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Becca - Not only does it cost money, it is loaded with calories and toxic sugar! Step away folks!

Barbara - I love "Spare Rabbit" , but I love "Original Rabbit" even more. She was only two when she talked about those. :laugh:

Duck was heavenly. :bigsmile: My pile of cabbage was HUGE! :D I have to be supercareful on Tuesdays because of only doing yoga. I'll probably go over a tiny bit today if I can't resist my normal small portion of cheese. >:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    <3 Oh my! Barbie! Your bear has been loved so much that it reminds me of the story of the Velveteen Rabbit! I am not a saver of things. I have a journal and pictures and a couple of cherished items that belonged to my kids. I have to admit, reading the words "throw the bear away" tore my heart a little. ;) I think a picture is a good reminder of something that will probably stay in a box otherwise and not be used by anyone. Since my goal is to fit everything I own into a camper or tiny house, I totally understand the need to carry a lighter load.
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Well I think I’m starting to figure out why I’ve been unable to get back on track. I was thinking about it this morning and going through my mind all the things that have been going on lately to try and come up with a reason. I felt fine until I thought of how I’ve hit a weight below 200 recently. When I thought of that, my heart rate went up and I had kind of a panicky feeling. Almost came to tears. I know I’m changing (both inside and outside) and being below 200lbs for the first time in a very long time makes me think differently about myself. I’ve gone back to comfort eating because that is what I did for such a long time and it feels “normal”. These new feelings that go along with weight loss I haven’t’ grown into yet. I remember my DD’s dr saying once that kids revert back to doing things they haven’t done for a while right before they make another developmental advancement. This was true for my daughter. I have to think about it more but I think I’m on to something. Have any of you felt this way on your journey? I’d love to hear from anyone who might have some insight or I’m not crazy.

Terry pondering in VT
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I love the photo of you with your line dancers. Everyone looks so festive in their red tops! :star::heart: :star:

Becca: I hope you feel better and better. When I have a stuffy head I like to drink peppermint tea or chamomile tea. I find both very soothing. Chicken broth is good, too. (((HUGS)))

Lisa: Congrats on keeping your weight stable after your move. That is a challenge all on its own. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I love the bear photo. It must be hard to let it go after all this time. :heart:

The Christmas gifts are shipped! Yay!!! Shipping $$ has gone UP $$$$. :grumble: I'll be bringing in our Christmas trees soon. They're waiting on the deck for the move inside.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"Normally I'm quite normal . . ." The Gods Must be Crazy

christmas-tree-gifts.gif
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    BARBARA they do the line dancing on the boardwalk will try post some pics if you have access to youtube search "line dancing on Poniente Benidorm"

Kate UK <3
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Barbie, so love the old bear. I know your minimalist philosophy but I don't think I could part with that.

Yvonne, my Mom also just made Christmas what it was. That's the problem. I feel like a filter because I can't. I just have that flair my Mom had. So that's why it was so important for me to host it at our home. And now the family is to big for our home so Christmas celebration is going further and further from what Mom created. But we all keep the reason for Christmas in it so I know that's what is important.

Had mySunday School class party today. We have to senior ladies classes and both the classes come together for it. They have always catered from Grandys and had chicken fingers and I was looking forward to that but they decided to all bring finger food. Sometimes finger food isn't to nutritious. There were a couple of mini sandwiches and fresh veggies so I did get a fairly nutritious lunch but then had desert. One lady made a pie called island pie. Superb! Charlie drove me and one of the ladies drove me home I really need to work on this courage thing in driving.

Good luck Allie! You've got this.

Joyce, indiana
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Well I think I’m starting to figure out why I’ve been unable to get back on track. I was thinking about it this morning and going through my mind all the things that have been going on lately to try and come up with a reason. I felt fine until I thought of how I’ve hit a weight below 200 recently. When I thought of that, my heart rate went up and I had kind of a panicky feeling. Almost came to tears. I know I’m changing (both inside and outside) and being below 200lbs for the first time in a very long time makes me think differently about myself. I’ve gone back to comfort eating because that is what I did for such a long time and it feels “normal”. These new feelings that go along with weight loss I haven’t’ grown into yet. I remember my DD’s dr saying once that kids revert back to doing things they haven’t done for a while right before they make another developmental advancement. This was true for my daughter. I have to think about it more but I think I’m on to something. Have any of you felt this way on your journey? I’d love to hear from anyone who might have some insight or I’m not crazy.

Terry pondering in VT

Terry -- I think this makes sense. I can see it a little in myself too, whenever I dip below 130 (I'm a shorty). Very insightful.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I had a very nice walk to work today. 51 degrees is perfect for brisk walking, and I always feel energized in this weather. My cheeks are rosy too! Lol

I’m loving this weather - it matches me much better than TX weather usually does. Easier on a body with severe hot flashes too.

Rye
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Margaret great news re husbands test results<3 <3

Barbie I love your group photo, everyone is so vibrant!

Terry what an insight! This happens to me alot. I revert to comforting foods and behaviors whenever I get a little too happy or think things are going really well, including losing weight. My DM had a way of knocking the happy out of me if I was too overjoyed about things, she never liked boasting, feeling especially proud of oneself, etc. and I would often hide from recognizing my successes (not just in weight loss) because she would scold me.
    I think your thinking about this is extremely valuable. Recognize it, say it out loud, and then tell yourself you can make a better choice. You've got this!

off to another concert...NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Barbie - You women look so happy and alive! Obviously, line dancing is good for you mentally and physically. :D
    I couldn't throw that bear away, but the photo is precious. It shows every detail. <3

Terry - Looking at our hidden blocks and motives is always very beneficial. I love to analyse my hidden triggers for things and DH and I often spend time in bed in the morning talking about ours. When you can see them you can do something about them. :D You are going through a whole life revolution so it's not surprising you are having a glitch from time to time, but eventually it will seem the new normal and you can take the next step. <3

Lisa - Many congratulations on holding steady on the weight! That is an achievement.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx